Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 110
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:59:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Enjoyable race. It's fun seeing Big Red take it to the Silver Arrows.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Enjoyable race. It's fun seeing Big Red Vettel take it to the Silver Arrows.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:03:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Enjoyable race. It's fun seeing Big Red take it to the Silver Arrows.
View Quote
Even without Hamiltons 5 second penalty I think Vettel had this race.  Forza Ferrari
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Excellent race, watched it on a slight delay.

I love night races. Wished for a better result from Bottas (because he was my fantasy pick ) but I'm happy for Ferrari
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Two damn good races in a row.

I might get to see Alonso in Birmingham next weekend!  
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#6]
There are speculations/accusations (based on what he said in the past to Spanish media) that Alonso DNF'd the car only because he wasn't in the points.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:08:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I've thought this all along, he better beat Grosjean to the punch, though. Alonso to Renault?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's really a damn shame (and a waste) that Kimi can't help Vettel battle the Mercs.
View Quote
I still hold out hope of Alonso in Ferrari next year.

if it's Verstappen, look for an early Vettel retirement...
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've thought this all along, he better beat Grosjean to the punch, though. Alonso to Renault?
View Quote
Might be his only option.

As is noted in the article, not many teams left that want to deal with the drama and baggage he brings.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#10]
God damn you, Honda -- you're killing me here. 

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There are speculations/accusations (based on what he said in the past to Spanish media) that Alonso DNF'd the car only because he wasn't in the points.
View Quote
That's certainly what it looked like to me, the layman. 
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#12]
So I am here in Venice airport waiting for my flight to Geneva !

And I see this beautiful SPAD XIII exposed here !

Looks familiar ? How many of you know why ?

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/Shungito/32C45874-B25E-4730-98C6-9370D379C3EA_zps2yphrjgg.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb470/Shungito/32C45874-B25E-4730-98C6-9370D379C3EA_zps2yphrjgg.jpg
View Quote
I didn't know 11th ACR had planes back then.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#15]
About 15 km from my place in Italy, there is a bridge he used to fly underneath during ww1 !
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#16]
on the GP Predictors site, has anyone ever seen any 'Experts Predictions'? I never have. it always says they'll be available soon...
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Sainz handed a 3 spot grid penalty for Maldonadoing Stroll
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sainz handed a 3 spot grid penalty for Maldonadoing Stroll
View Quote
Damn, that could have gone either way IMO.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:32:04 PM EDT
[#19]
McLaren..should just throw in the towel this sessin.

Go VET..

HAAS..in the points..hell yeah
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I still hold out hope of Alonso in Ferrari next year.

if it's Verstappen, look for an early Vettel retirement...
View Quote
Screw maxipad. Glad he crashed-out today.

Forza Ferrari!!!

Hamilton not so bubbly after suffering a second loss to Seb. Knew that his profession of desire to trade paint with Seb would be less zealous if there was an ACTUAL battle with him. Be careful what you wish for Lewis!

Btw... wasn't overjoyed with Ferrari's pace for the second half, but it got the job done.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Screw maxipad. Glad he crashed-out today.

Forza Ferrari!!!

Hamilton not so bubbly after suffering a second loss to Seb. Knew that his profession of desire to trade paint with Seb would be less zealous if there was an ACTUAL battle with him. Be careful what you wish for Lewis!

Btw... wasn't overjoyed with Ferrari's pace for the second half, but it got the job done.
View Quote
My guess is that seb was simply controlling the race
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm thinking Alonso goes to Renault next year. Renault is dumping millions into their F1 program and will be scoring points this season and winning races within a few years. They are the third engine manufacturer to also be running a team. Only Ferrari and Mercedes can say that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My guess is that seb was simply controlling the race
View Quote
Good point. Hope so!

Dang Kimi... if he could have made an extra 3 seconds, he would have stood on the podium as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm thinking Alonso goes to Renault next year. Renault is dumping millions into their F1 program and will be scoring points this season and winning races within a few years. They are the third engine manufacturer to also be running a team. Only Ferrari and Mercedes can say that.
View Quote
The question for Renault is, as they want to win in 2018 and contend for the championship in 2019, do they want to deal with Fernando's issues for a year if everything goes exactly to plan? Also keep in mind that Alonso's salary is $40 million a year.

Hulkenburg and Grosjean can be both had for $10 million combined.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Btw... it may be hard to objectively defiine who the very "best" driver is... it's pretty clear to me that Seb, Lewis, Maxipad, and Alonso are probably the best four drivers in terms of a full race and removing any specific car performance (or lack thereof).
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn... three races, three podiums picked.

I really should be betting real money on this...  
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The question for Renault is, as they want to win in 2018 and contend for the championship in 2019, do they want to deal with Fernando's issues for a year if everything goes exactly to plan? Also keep in mind that Alonso's salary is $40 million a year.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you see Alonso staying at Mclaren another year? Because I don't and where would he go for only one year before moving to Renault?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Do you see Alonso staying at Mclaren another year? Because I don't and where would he go for only one year before moving to Renault?
View Quote
I don't think there is any way he stays (he might not even make the entire season).

You can almost guarantee Grosjean goes to Renault next year. He's French, seasoned with ability and relatively cheap.

Do they keep Hulkenburg or upset the apple cart with Alonso demanding #1 driver status against a veteran French driver?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't think there is any way he stays (he might not even make the entire season).

You can almost guarantee Grosjean goes to Renault next year. He's French, seasoned with ability and relatively cheap.

Do they keep Hulkenburg or upset the apple cart with Alonso demanding #1 driver status against a veteran French driver?
View Quote
So,

Kimi retires

Alonso to Ferrari

Grosjean replaces palmer Renault

What fool replaces Alonso to Mclaren?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

So,

Kimi retires

Alonso to Ferrari

View Quote
Alonso burned the Ferrari bridge. He doesn't really have anywhere to go in F1.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So,

Kimi retires

Alonso to Ferrari

View Quote
Stroll, if his father has any money left.  He is already used to not finishing races.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

So either Renault or to race LMP1 with Porsche?

Quoted:

Stroll, if his father has any money left.  He is already used to not finishing races.
0-3 isn't a great start by any stretch. Mclaren is in serious trouble if Alonso leaves before they get their shit in order.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

So either Renault or to race LMP1 with Porsche?
View Quote
I'd guess that when he leaves McLaren, he is done with F1.

Unless Renault is out of their damn minds and signs him for tens of millions of dollars for a building year.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

0-3 isn't a great start by any stretch. Mclaren is in serious trouble if Alonso leaves before they get their shit in order.
View Quote
Last year I suspected McLaren's chassis and aero as contributing to their problems, but this year it is as if Honda went backwards in engine development.

I am not a fan of the smaller turbo engines with all of the electric motor junk attached, but Ferrari and Renault have moved forward steadily in power and reliability.  Honda has neither!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Group buy?

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER 1991 BENETTON F1 CAR

$800,000-$1,000,000 estimate
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Group buy?

View Quote
Kind of dubious to attach Schumacher's name to the car.

He was on the team for the last few races, but Piquet won the Canadian GP with it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Good point. Hope so!

Dang Kimi... if he could have made an extra 3 seconds, he would have stood on the podium as well.
View Quote
I have to wonder why they left Kimi out there so long on those red tires! He was losing seconds per lap but they kept him out there for 4-5-6 (can't remember) laps longer than Seb. Had they pitted Kimi the same lap - or one later - than Seb I think he could have caught BOT for third. He was over nine seconds back of BOT after he finally pitted and finished just over two seconds behind.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Alonso limps through the rest of the season with HondaMac (taking races off to drive Indy and Le Mans), and then next year...

Verstappen to Ferrari and Alonso to RBR?

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#39]
That was a fun race to me.  And then Haas gets points 2 races in a row.  Now they need double points to run down 6th

Force India seems to be playing the tortoise: slow car but consistent points.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Good point. Hope so!

View Quote
he just seems so timid...
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So,

Kimi retires

Alonso to Ferrari

to McLaren from Williams? I think not...
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

to McLaren from Williams? I think not...
View Quote
I would like to see Stroll out altogether but daddy's check seems to be too big of an incentive to run him.  

Massa has shown that the Williams car has the speed to be the top of the second tier.  I would think they would get tired of giving up points on the second car.  The points, and sponsor money, from two strong performing cars and a constructor fourth should be more than Stroll money.  I don't think Force India would have been as attractive to sponsor if they had not done so well last year.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Alonso can't go back to Ferrari. Burned that bridge when he opted out. I still think he's headed to WEC, probably Porsche. Can't see him doing the development role since doing it at Mclaren has been so painful. Why would Renault want him back? Hulk and Palmer probably cost them half what Alonso would alone.

Kimi goes to Renault maybe, maybe stays at Ferrari, don't think he's ready to give it up yet. Not like there is anyone Ferrari is hot to bring to the ranks.  Sure not Giovinazzi after destroying two Saubers in as many days. Wonder how many free engines that cost Ferrari? 

What the hell, it's not even close to silly season!

Good race, we were both hollering at the TV when Vettel passed Hamilton at the start. I got the first five picks right!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

He was on the team for the last few races, but Piquet won the Canadian GP with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Group buy?

"Look, Mansell's waving to the crowd!"
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#45]
That race was badass for the second week in a row!

Kimi is so damn slow. Mercedes will win the constructor's championship without a doubt. I would love Vettel to win the driver's championship but I expect it to be Hamilton. As long as Kimi is in the second seat, Ferrari doesn't stand a chance against Mercedes.

I see Alonso, Ricciardo, or Verstappen at Ferrari when Kimi leaves. All three of them are die-hard racing drivers, not the 'content to finish where I finish' fatalistic attitude Kimi brings. Ferrari needs someone that's hungry.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:21:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Just watched the race after getting home from Easter Sunday with the family...

This is going to be a fun year - Ferrari v. Mercedes is ON. Also, that was not Stoll's fault - he was waaaaay ahead of Sainz coming out of the pit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:22:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I would like to see Stroll out altogether but daddy's check seems to be too big of an incentive to run him.  

Massa has shown that the Williams car has the speed to be the top of the second tier.  I would think they would get tired of giving up points on the second car.  The points, and sponsor money, from two strong performing cars and a constructor fourth should be more than Stroll money.  I don't think Force India would have been as attractive to sponsor if they had not done so well last year.
View Quote
Don't forget that the Stroll's also have deep, deep connections in F1 going back 20+ years.

Lawrence Stroll is a long time F1 mega fan with billions in his pocket. We'll see how long Lance lasts as a driver, but they aren't going away. I would be very surprised if they didn't buy a team and have Lance run some aspect of it.

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Don't forget that the Stroll's also have deep, deep connections in F1 going back 20+ years.

Lawrence Stroll is a long time F1 mega fan with billions in his pocket. We'll see how long Lance lasts as a driver, but they aren't going away. I would be very surprised if they didn't buy a team and have Lance run some aspect of it.

http://images.sport1.de/imagix/filter2/jpeg/_set=article_main,saturation=119,sharpness=0.47,focus=51x38/imagix/1ebf4c1e-a27c-11e6-b3ce-f80f41fc6a62
http://formula1.autobild.es/sites/formula1.autobild.es/files/lawrence_stroll_0.png
http://formula.hu/uploads/F1_Kepek/F12015/Egy%C3%A9b/Briatore%2C%20Stroll%2C%20Stroll.jpg
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/static/img/mgl/4300000/4300000/4308000/4308600/4308661/s8/f1-canadian-gp-2015-fernando-alonso-mclaren-with-lawrence-stroll-businessman-and-mansour-o.jpg
View Quote
It's a shame he didn't buy Manor where his money could have kept them alive and maybe even given them some newer technology.  I know seats will be bought, but the Willams car seems stronger this year than last and just don't see them being able to take full advantage of it with Massa and Stroll.  I really like Massa but I'm afraid he just hasn't had the aggressiveness the last few years.

If there is any truth to financial weakness at Sauber that maybe a place where the investment will benefit the team more than the cost of training Lance for F1.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

he just seems so timid...
View Quote
I know... must be marriage or something. Because many times in practice he outdrives Seb. Once in a while he even outqalifies him IIRC. So Kimi has short term pace... but he just seems like filler out there during races. Definitely no hunger. Though Max is obviously fast, I don't want to see him at Ferrari while Seb is there. I want Seb to be #1 without battling his own teammate. Yeah, that can spur a driver to be faster and can make for exciting battles. But I just don't wanna see it and at least Seb and Kimi get along. He and Max have no love for each other.
Page / 110
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top