Quoted:

Another fucking Yankee heard from.

Do you even thermodynamics bro?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
They put the hoods up when idling to keep the engine cool?  WTF kind of retarded nonsense is that?

It's actually an interesting question that isn't suitable to just make an uniformed decision as to what is more effective.  Is the air getting pushed through the engine by the fans more effective at dissipating heat from key areas of the engine than simple convection?  Even the articles have "Ford is said to..." rather than actual quotes from the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It's actually an interesting question that isn't suitable to just make an uniformed decision as to what is more effective.  Is the air getting pushed through the engine by the fans more effective at dissipating heat from key areas of the engine than simple convection?  Even the articles have "Ford is said to..." rather than actual quotes from the manufacturer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They put the hoods up when idling to keep the engine cool?  WTF kind of retarded nonsense is that?

I would figure that the fans sucking air through the radiators and pushing the air down under the car is counter to letting the hot air go up like it wants to.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My internet search has found no statements from any manufactures, regarding long idle times associated with job specific vehicles.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Where's the radio.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Where's the radio.

I think this is a demo car.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
TURN THE ENGINE OFF, the car won't overheat and they save gas, wow who would have though it. Yep I know there will be excuses but that is all they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DANVILLE, VA (WSET/CNN) - Shakeva Frazier said she didn’t think twice when she saw police with their car hoods up. It wasn’t until she saw a post on Facebook that led her to believe that police were blocking their dash cams.

“That camera is the backup that’s been letting us know, nationwide, what’s been going on for a long time,” Frazier said. “Those cameras are giving us a lot of information that we need.”

Danville Police Lt. Mike Wallace said officers were told to raise their hoods when their cars are idling for long periods. They started doing it during a heat wave in late August.

“The engine didn’t overheat, it just got so hot that some of the parts had melted,” Wallace said. “Well, we’ve got to take the car off line when that happens, to get it fixed.”

“So, we want to dispel this type of information that’s come from outside of our area. We want our citizens to know what the truth is.”

http://www.wbrc.com/story/33255863/police-dept-dispels-rumors-about-raised-patrol-car-hoods-in-va

People are stupid.
TURN THE ENGINE OFF, the car won't overheat and they save gas, wow who would have though it. Yep I know there will be excuses but that is all they are.

Again, Dark uniforms, body armor, 110 degree heat, no shade. Work traffic in the street for two hours under those conditions, then get into a dark colored car that has been turned off. Thats why we leave the engine running.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I would figure that the fans sucking air through the radiators and pushing the air down under the car is counter to letting the hot air go up like it wants to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Potentially.  But I can also see the flow of cooler (than the immediate air around the engine) air moving past the engine and out having more of a cooling effect than convection alone.

Although frankly having cooling systems in place for the unique needs of a cruiser should be looked at.  We ask a lot out of these vehicles that aren't necessarily suitable to stock, off the line cars.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Fire trucks are plugged into 110v when they are at the station to keep batteries charged (and other stuff).  The term comes from ships that get power from the docks when they aren't at sea rather than running their own engines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cameras and computers. The computers must remain on here due to the convoluted cellular connection then VPN and login train. I mean you can turn it off but you won't have any dispatch connectivity for call info other than the radio until you can go through the login bs again. The cameras are DVR systems that connect to an AP at 5.8 GHz so they must remain on for up to an hour when parked at the station to transmit the video to the server.

Why you guys don't have shore power when you are at the station is beyond me.
Excuse my ignorance, but is that just a 12volt port where an auxillary power supply is plugged into ?  

Fire trucks are plugged into 110v when they are at the station to keep batteries charged (and other stuff).  The term comes from ships that get power from the docks when they aren't at sea rather than running their own engines.

Police cars are not typically parked in a covered, sometimes air conditioned, garage.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

And if directing traffic, waiting for a wrecker to show up for a disabled vehicle, blocking lanes for road construction, etc. where you need your blue lights running...the battery might last 15-20 minutes before it goes dead.  Even the latest & greatest LED lightbars will drain it if the motor isn't running.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not just turn them off?????

Because then there wouldn't be any AC?

And if directing traffic, waiting for a wrecker to show up for a disabled vehicle, blocking lanes for road construction, etc. where you need your blue lights running...the battery might last 15-20 minutes before it goes dead.  Even the latest & greatest LED lightbars will drain it if the motor isn't running.
In Houston, wrecker is first on the scene.  Wrecker beats cops, fire department, ambulance every time.  Especially in the rain.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:41:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jeep offered the 5.9 (360 CI) V8 in the 1998 Grand Cherokee - the "base" V8 was the 5.2 (318 CI) V8.  The 5.9 equipped GC had electric fans AND functional hood vents to deal with the increased heat output of the slightly larger engine.

The air getting pushed thru the engine compartment by the fan/road speed is already at an elevated temperature due to the A/C condenser/trans cooler/PS cooler/radiator.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Police cars are not typically parked in a covered, sometimes air conditioned, garage.
View Quote

Air conditioned bays?  

Where is this dream station at?

Also, I'm not sure how that's relevant on the idea of keeping systems running and batteries charged when the car is parked at the station.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Jeep offered the 5.9 (360 CI) V8 in the 1998 Grand Cherokee - the "base" V8 was the 5.2 (318 CI) V8.  The 5.9 equipped GC had electric fans AND functional hood vents to deal with the increased heat output of the slightly larger engine.

The air getting pushed thru the engine compartment by the fan/road speed is already at an elevated temperature due to the A/C condenser/trans cooler/PS cooler/radiator.
View Quote

But is that elevated temperature air more or less effective at cooling critical parts of the engine than convection?  A question it doesn't appear there is an informed answer to.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Found this website with le testimonials.

</img />

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#13]

I saw them.  It's an interesting page with some ideas that make sense.  And I'm sorry if I offend, but I'd love to hear a manufacturer engineer give a testimonial rather than some officers on the use of them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Don't you think, now that dashcams exist, the practice should end? Why was all our money spent to film the top of a car's hood? How will the video exonerate the officer or the citizen if it can't film anything other than the body of the car?

If departments need to lift their hoods, they need to mount the cameras in a different location. Period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Weird, we where never told to raise the hoods on our ambulances, despite the fact that sat idling in 120 degree heat for 8-10 hours some days, never saw a patrol car with its hood up either. VA not spring for the hot weather package on their rigs?

Police cruisers typically have upgraded cooling systems for the engine, oil, and transmission so tge car can be used in high speed chases and long idle times.

I dont buy their bullshit excuse for a second.  They will find another way to cover the dash cameras.

Jesus, where have you been all your life if you've never seen a police car idling with the hood raised in the summertime? Cops have been doing this since way before I started driving, and that was in the 70s.

Don't you think, now that dashcams exist, the practice should end? Why was all our money spent to film the top of a car's hood? How will the video exonerate the officer or the citizen if it can't film anything other than the body of the car?

If departments need to lift their hoods, they need to mount the cameras in a different location. Period.

Do you honestly think they raise their good before making contact with a person in a traffic stop?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I think all of the vehicles have inverters. For the computers and printers. If mine was a take home unit I would add a flashlight charger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it's an old dell xp laptop that was upgraded to windows 7 this year.

Gotcha.  Locally we use systems that are designed for vehicle use, so they are DC end to end.

I think all of the vehicles have inverters. For the computers and printers. If mine was a take home unit I would add a flashlight charger.

Everything in cars (except for the cameras and lights IIRC) go through the inverter.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Air conditioned bays?  

Also, I'm not sure how that's relevant on the idea of keeping systems running and batteries charged when the car is parked at the station.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Air conditioned bays?  

Fucking ambulance and fire stations around here are A/C cooled and heated.

Fuckers.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:55:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Air conditioned bays?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Air conditioned bays?  

Yep. 25 cars, all with cords running to the building. PDs are moving, working and patrolling 24/7. Not waiting at the station for a call. The cars are usually hotseated shift to shift. Sometimes the only cars on the lot are supervisors, or cars that have issues, like broken cameras, or radios.
And every fire station in my experience had the apparatus parked indoors. Usually with only two to three vehicles per station.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yep. 25 cars, all with cords running to the building. PDs are moving, working and patrolling 24/7. Not waiting at the station for a call. The cars are usually hotseated shift to shift. Sometimes the only cars on the lot are supervisors, or cars that have issues, like broken cameras, or radios.
And every fire station in my experience had the apparatus parked indoors. Usually with only two to three vehicles per station.
View Quote

Broad brushes are broad.  Our local PD has probably half their cars parked at any given time since most of them are assigned to a single officer.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Fucking ambulance and fire stations around here are A/C cooled and heated.

Fuckers.

View Quote

Wow.  

Ours are heated to about sixty degrees and the newer ambulances have an air conditioner that runs off of shore power so that they meds don't bake.

Heck, the air conditioners in most of our engines are about worthless.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:59:31 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I saw them.  It's an interesting page with some ideas that make sense.  And I'm sorry if I offend, but I'd love to hear a manufacturer engineer give a testimonial rather than some officers on the use of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Be neat to see some kind of air flow test at idle.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I don't run the camera for things like this because it eats up the video time.

For us the video download is a manual process so I try to maximize video time.

I have my camera set to the lowest resolution setting so I can get the most video time on my card.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I posted a pic of the placement of a dash camera. The popping of hood in the practice that I know of would not obscure the camera view.

If the practice was to raise the hood all the way up then I would assume based on my knowledge the camera would not be running anyway.

The standard use of the camera is to record traffic stops not run during events like directing traffic or sitting on a roadside construction site.

ie...I worked an off duty traffic detail the other day. I didn't turn my camera on for this event.

Shame on you for wasting the taxpayer dollars that paid for that camera, the taxpayers deserve six hours of footage of your car sitting in one spot while traffic whizzes past.

I have my camera set to the lowest resolution setting so I can get the most video time on my card.

Obviously I failed to properly denote sarcasm...  since another poster was making noise about the taxpayers paying for the cameras and expecting them to be used...

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#22]
1.  Most modern cooling systems have ducted, electric fans mounted directly to the radiator.

2.  Air pulled from the radiator by the fan is heated by the radiator and a/c heat exchanger.

3.  The engine itself is likely adequately cooled by the radiator because if it wasn't, radiator fluid boil overs and other immediate problems would occur.

4.  Making the radiator larger would result in a cooler engine, which is not needed, but a hotter engine compartment, which is not wanted.

5.  Heat from the cooling system could possibly affect other parts, specifically the battery which is killed at higher temperatures.

6.  Opening the hood would likely help prevent cooling system heat from accumulating in the engine compartment and killing auxillary systems.  Location of components and overheating would likely be hard to predict without experiment.

7.  You would have to put temperature sensors on various components and conduct tests to determine if opening the hood helps an individual component.

8.  Opened hoods apparently means popping the hood release and leaving it cracked open a few inches to cops.

9.  Opened hoods to everybody else that isn't a cop means opening the hood all the way like a mechanic would due.

10.  The lack of definition around the words "opened hood" may be why most people including myself, say they have never seen cops with opened hoods.  (I really haven't even seen one with the opened hood meeting the cop definition of open, but I wasn't really looking that close.)

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I really thought most folks had seen or known of this practice. That is why I made the comment about stupid people.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This thread is  

I really thought most folks had seen or known of this practice. That is why I made the comment about stupid people.

I've never seen a hood up on a police car unless it was broken down.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#25]
That doesn't happen if you don't sit in one place for 4 hours straight with the AC running.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Is there any record of arrests occurring immediately after an leo had their hood up?

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#27]
We have guys that do it at my place. Mostly on traffic details where the car doesn't move.

We don't have dashcams either.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

IMHO tablets are great for a lot of web browsing and light application work, but they aren't replacements for a real PC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Panasonic Toughpad FZ-G1 with Gamber Johnson mounting system.

That's a nice little box.  One of those with a DC-DC convertor should give you a pretty good efficiency and be able to handle losing power for a moment when you start the car.
Tech question:   Are laptops not getting outdated, with pads and tablets available, is that something that will happen for le equipment?

Is the keyboard something that you still need ?

IMHO tablets are great for a lot of web browsing and light application work, but they aren't replacements for a real PC.

Typically they are full power PCs in tablet form. They have been making them for Police/Industrial use for over 20 years.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Typically they are full power PCs in tablet form. They have been making them for Police/Industrial use for over 20 years.

View Quote

You are correct.  In the interest in brevity I was speaking to tablets as iOS/Android ones.  A touch screen laptop without a keyboard is really the best of both worlds for this (with a bluetooth keyboard available).
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Hoods wearing hoods be worried when hood cops be raisin their hoods in the hood.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Police cruisers typically have upgraded cooling systems for the engine, oil, and transmission so tge car can be used in high speed chases and long idle times.

I dont buy their bullshit excuse for a second.  They will find another way to cover the dash cameras.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Weird, we where never told to raise the hoods on our ambulances, despite the fact that sat idling in 120 degree heat for 8-10 hours some days, never saw a patrol car with its hood up either. VA not spring for the hot weather package on their rigs?

LOL.  We have been doing it long before I was here, and long before we had cameras.  

It's not like we drive around with the hood up or something.  It's also not something that would take place while someone is running traffic, i.e., 'Look!! there's someone going 20 over.  Let me run out and shut my hood really quick and get on with the traffic stop.'

When on a fixed post, like working a traffic detail where you are going to be sitting at a corner directing traffic for two hours--we pop the hood up to prevent the car from getting too hot and possibly damaging the engine or electronics--or possibly burning up.  Literally burning up.  We had a cruiser catch fire and burn to the ground a couple of years ago that had been idling on a traffic post for a couple of hours during a 105+* afternoon (i'm not an automotive technician, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn last night, so I cannot prove why the car burned up.  I was told the car overheated, something plastic or rubber in the engine bay caught fire, and the rest is history).

And for those wondering, you really can't run any of that equipment with the car off.  With the lights, computer, etc., if you turned all of that on with the car not running, it would sap the battery pretty quickly.

ETA  After reading more posts, it seems as though some are thinking that cops are doing this on a traffic stop.  Like a cop pulls someone over, and pops the hood as he/she gets out, with the purpose of blocking the camera.  I don't believe that is what is happening, but if it is happening, that is obviously absolutely wrong.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:20:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

But is that elevated temperature air more or less effective at cooling critical parts of the engine than convection?  A question it doesn't appear there is an informed answer to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not exactly sure what scenarios you are trying to compare.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#33]

Interesting - Folsom Lake is in the Central Valley...................  Where I said I've seen CHP cars with hood louvers.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

An engineer working at an OEM is not going to endorse an aftermarket product like that - that's a career limiting move if his boss found out.

The Grand Cherokee 5.9 is an excellent example of an "endorsement" for that type of situation - high ambient temps, engine compartment that doesn't vent worth a shit, high heat load from the engine/other equipment.  

I've seen cases of underground mine trucks that melt hoses, turbocharger actuator diaphragms and other components because the OE didn't make provisions to exhaust the hot under hood air.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#35]
That has been going on for years when cops are at traffic stops and car accidents.   No big deal.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:39:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Despite the fact that the raising of hoods was not a dastardly conspiracy to rape and murder with impunity...

If the hoods obscure the use of the dashcam then raising the hoods is not an acceptable option, imo. The cameras are there, ostensibly, for both citizen and officer, they are meant to film the interaction, tax money was spent to create that program and it makes no sense to waste that money and that function.
View Quote

Think!    They don't raise their hoods whenever they jump out of the car.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see you are an expert about police procedures and vehicle maintenance.  Where have you worked and in what divisions?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DANVILLE, VA (WSET/CNN) - Shakeva Frazier said she didn’t think twice when she saw police with their car hoods up. It wasn’t until she saw a post on Facebook that led her to believe that police were blocking their dash cams.

"That camera is the backup that’s been letting us know, nationwide, what’s been going on for a long time,” Frazier said. "Those cameras are giving us a lot of information that we need.”

Danville Police Lt. Mike Wallace said officers were told to raise their hoods when their cars are idling for long periods. They started doing it during a heat wave in late August.

"The engine didn’t overheat, it just got so hot that some of the parts had melted,” Wallace said. "Well, we’ve got to take the car off line when that happens, to get it fixed.”

"So, we want to dispel this type of information that’s come from outside of our area. We want our citizens to know what the truth is.”

http://www.wbrc.com/story/33255863/police-dept-dispels-rumors-about-raised-patrol-car-hoods-in-va

People are stupid.

I had to do it on a couple of my CVs
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That has been going on for years when cops are at traffic stops and car accidents.   No big deal.
View Quote

On traffic stops - as in a detention?  Nobody I know would take the time/dumb ass decision to pop the hood on a traffic stop.  Crash scene/directing traffic is a different situation.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus, where have you been all your life if you've never seen a police car idling with the hood raised in the summertime? Cops have been doing this since way before I started driving, and that was in the 70s.

Holy smokes people. How many times does it have to be explained. This is while officers are NOT on calls or traffic stops. Cops will do all kinds of shit during the day from inside their vehicles. Write reports, make phone calls to complainants or attorneys. Speak with community leaders. Go inside buildings to check on businesses etc. all things that a dash mounted camera is not needed or able to be used for. This would be be an ideal time to let some of the hot air out from under the hood... Some people really will find anything to complain about
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Considering I had never seen a cop car with the hood popped until scrolling through Facebook, and thought it was an anomaly until seeing this thread and people getting so defensive (omg we've been doing it forever!!!!!! Mind your own beeswax!!!!!) I hadn't ever given it any thought.

I avoid interacting with the police whenever possible, they have nothing to offer me, and I hope I never have anything to offer them.

If the intent of the camera is to record the police performing their duties, for the purpose of protecting the truth (whether that's the officer doing what he's supposed to or not) then I see no reason to obscure the camera. Do you disagree with that? If so, why? Is there a reason the camera ought to be obscured? If not, why should the policy not be to avoid obscuring the camera? What damage is done in ensuring the camera is able to record?

If the cameras can be turned off and on at will, blocked at the officer's discretion, only record for 2 hours, etc, then what's the point?

I know it was earlier in the discussion, but you can scroll back to page one and find that I personally am actually not a big supporter of cameras in the first place. But if they're going to be sold to the public with an expectation, then the police, as public servants, have an obligation to meet that expectation and perform to the agreed upon standard, no?

I think police body cams/dash cams are bad. I think they are an invasion of my privacy, I don't want to be filmed by the cops every time I walk past one. But most people don't agree with my argument, so I am subject to the will of the majority. Police officers who want to put up their hoods appear to be in a similar position, I empathize, but they should just suck it up like the rest of us do.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think it's about you, I think it's about meeting the demands (reasonable) of the public you serve.

If I have to spend money on technology, I expect you to use it. I really don't think that is unreasonable. Again, I don't see any, and have never suggested any, malicious intent on behalf of the police in this scenario.

The thread has made it clear that this is a common practice in use for a long time. Seems to me like a simple update is needed to the SOPs. "Don't block your cameras" is in no way an unreasonable request.

Do you really think the camera is operating when a cop car is sitting with the hood popped?

Most cameras only hold 2-4 hours of video.

Considering I had never seen a cop car with the hood popped until scrolling through Facebook, and thought it was an anomaly until seeing this thread and people getting so defensive (omg we've been doing it forever!!!!!! Mind your own beeswax!!!!!) I hadn't ever given it any thought.

I avoid interacting with the police whenever possible, they have nothing to offer me, and I hope I never have anything to offer them.

If the intent of the camera is to record the police performing their duties, for the purpose of protecting the truth (whether that's the officer doing what he's supposed to or not) then I see no reason to obscure the camera. Do you disagree with that? If so, why? Is there a reason the camera ought to be obscured? If not, why should the policy not be to avoid obscuring the camera? What damage is done in ensuring the camera is able to record?

If the cameras can be turned off and on at will, blocked at the officer's discretion, only record for 2 hours, etc, then what's the point?

I know it was earlier in the discussion, but you can scroll back to page one and find that I personally am actually not a big supporter of cameras in the first place. But if they're going to be sold to the public with an expectation, then the police, as public servants, have an obligation to meet that expectation and perform to the agreed upon standard, no?

I think police body cams/dash cams are bad. I think they are an invasion of my privacy, I don't want to be filmed by the cops every time I walk past one. But most people don't agree with my argument, so I am subject to the will of the majority. Police officers who want to put up their hoods appear to be in a similar position, I empathize, but they should just suck it up like the rest of us do.

By suck it up and deal with it like the rest of you, you obviously mean disabling my vehicle or certain equipment in my vehicle including the cameras people are getting bent out of shape about? Because that's what happens when you don't allow shit to cool off in an idling cop car
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

An engineer working at an OEM is not going to endorse an aftermarket product like that - that's a career limiting move if his boss found out.

The Grand Cherokee 5.9 is an excellent example of an "endorsement" for that type of situation - high ambient temps, engine compartment that doesn't vent worth a shit, high heat load from the engine/other equipment.  

I've seen cases of underground mine trucks that melt hoses, turbocharger actuator diaphragms and other components because the OE didn't make provisions to exhaust the hot under hood air.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A simple question of "When idling for long periods of time should the hood be raised to cool the engine?" is not a question that will get an engineer in the doghouse.

Additionally, if it is a problem that is common for police cars why are agencies not putting the demand out to manufacturers that this is an issue they should address?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

A simple question of "When idling for long periods of time should the hood be raised to cool the engine?" is not a question that will get an engineer in the doghouse.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that's not a testimonial about hood louvers - which was the product that was being discussed.

Quoted:
Additionally, if it is a problem that is common for police cars why are agencies not putting the demand out to manufacturers that this is an issue they should address?

because it's much easier to pop the hood?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I did take it as sarcasm.

I was just explaining why I don't run my video for hours sitting on the side of the road directing traffic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I posted a pic of the placement of a dash camera. The popping of hood in the practice that I know of would not obscure the camera view.

If the practice was to raise the hood all the way up then I would assume based on my knowledge the camera would not be running anyway.

The standard use of the camera is to record traffic stops not run during events like directing traffic or sitting on a roadside construction site.

ie...I worked an off duty traffic detail the other day. I didn't turn my camera on for this event.

Shame on you for wasting the taxpayer dollars that paid for that camera, the taxpayers deserve six hours of footage of your car sitting in one spot while traffic whizzes past.

Obviously I failed to properly denote sarcasm...  since another poster was making noise about the taxpayers paying for the cameras and expecting them to be used...

I did take it as sarcasm.

I was just explaining why I don't run my video for hours sitting on the side of the road directing traffic.

But, but...you could have contact with the public!
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#47]
used to pop the hood all the time on my old Toyota Supra Mk III Turbo
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

“That camera is the backup that’s been letting us know, nationwide, what’s been going on for a long time,” Frazier said. “Those cameras are giving us a lot of information that we need.”

“The engine didn’t overheat, it just got so hot that some of the parts had melted,” Wallace said. “Well, we’ve got to take the car off line when that happens, to get it fixed.”

“So, we want to dispel this type of information that’s come from outside of our area. We want our citizens to know what the truth is.”

People are stupid.

READ THE THREAD BEFORE YOU POST! It'll make you look intelligent, like you know things. And we won't have to face palm when you post, wow who would have thought it!?!?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:07:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What Police Departments are these?? I've been a cop since the late 90's in the heat of TN and we always raised the hoods due to heat. We also didn't have any "upgraded cooling systems". Where did you get this information?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Thanks for proving once again that you cannot lead a horse to common sense.    "Police Cruisers" in a small town are whatever they can get for cheap from the local dealership. The only difference is the paint scheme and MAYBE an upgraded alternator.

Have any of you waterheads figured out yet that they would have to put the hood DOWN  in order to make a traffic stop in the first place?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for proving once again that you cannot lead a horse to common sense.    "Police Cruisers" in a small town are whatever they can get for cheap from the local dealership. The only difference is the paint scheme and MAYBE an upgraded alternator.

Have any of you waterheads figured out yet that they would have to put the hood DOWN  in order to make a traffic stop in the first place?

Not in the small towns here. They get them modified out the ass. I'm okay with them not even having cameras though. Never had an issue with any officers.  
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top