Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have lived in VA for over 35 years.  It is common during the hot months to see this.  Oh, and we have 100% humidity quite often too so it gets balls hot here.  It's not a dry heat either.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

it's an old dell xp laptop that was upgraded to windows 7 this year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Computer and printer goes through an inverter. Everything else goes to the 12 volt system.

Really?  What do you use for a computer if you don't mind?

Gotcha.  Locally we use systems that are designed for vehicle use, so they are DC end to end.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Because Roadkill!
View Quote

Golf clap
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Honestly I always thought they did that so you couldn't see the lights on top of the car from far away while they were doing speed traps. Overheating makes sense, though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I was confused on that too.  Never seen a block heater plug that was in the cabin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heh.

Never seen it here, however, the cops wrap the block heater cords around the camera's and leave the plug dangling in front of the lens.

True story.

Do what? The cameras are inside. That doesn't make sense unless I'm missing obvious sarcasm.

I was confused on that too.  Never seen a block heater plug that was in the cabin.

Maybe they are seeing plate readers mounted to the push bumper? Hell I don't know either.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:26:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heh.

Never seen it here, however, the cops wrap the block heater cords around the camera's and leave the plug dangling in front of the lens.

True story.

Do what? The cameras are inside. That doesn't make sense unless I'm missing obvious sarcasm.

Keeps the ice off the plug.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:27:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Gotcha.  Locally we use systems that are designed for vehicle use, so they are DC end to end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Computer and printer goes through an inverter. Everything else goes to the 12 volt system.

Really?  What do you use for a computer if you don't mind?

Panasonic Toughpad FZ-G1 with Gamber Johnson mounting system.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heh.

True story.

That makes no sense.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:33:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Man, this thread sure grew legs
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That makes no sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heh.

True story.

That makes no sense.

Neither does the idea that police are popping the hood of their cars to block their dash camera's.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Back in the days when ambulances had the 460 gassers we'd have to pop the hoods or they'd overheat on hot days.  The strobe packs would occasionally overheat and crap out as well.  Killing batteries under high load in those hot engine compartments was common too.  The diesels arent nearly as much trouble in that regard.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That makes no sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heh.

True story.

That makes no sense.

No it doesn't. Knocking the ice/snow off was never an issue in AK.

Keeping the extension cord in the cabin does make sense, so I'm thinking that is what he means. Hanging it from the camera seems less convenient than throwing behind the seat, on the passenger seat or floorboard, hell since they're only needed for long term parking the trunk isn't a stretch.

Getting the plug to stay in front of the camera lens seems unlikely.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's a nice little box.  One of those with a DC-DC convertor should give you a pretty good efficiency and be able to handle losing power for a moment when you start the car.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
That's a nice little box.  One of those with a DC-DC convertor should give you a pretty good efficiency and be able to handle losing power for a moment when you start the car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Tech question:

Are laptops not getting outdated, with pads and tablets available, is that something that will happen for le equipment?

Is the keyboard something that you still need ?

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:05:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Tech question:   Are laptops not getting outdated, with pads and tablets available, is that something that will happen for le equipment?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tech question:   Are laptops not getting outdated, with pads and tablets available, is that something that will happen for le equipment?

IMHO tablets are great for a lot of web browsing and light application work, but they aren't replacements for a real PC.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Incident reports, crash reports, supplemental reports, etc... Are all typed up in car at many agencies these days. Keyboards aren't going anywhere, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

IMHO tablets are great for a lot of web browsing and light application work, but they aren't replacements for a real PC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I won't go back to a laptop after using my Microsoft surface. Best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:18:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Incident reports, crash reports, supplemental reports, etc... Are all typed up in car at many agencies these days. Keyboards aren't going anywhere, IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Example of the system I mentioned.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.mruggedmobile.com/images/havis/Toughpad_Vehicle_Mount_2.jpg

That can't be an actual cruiser.  The seat is in too good of condition.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:That can't be an actual cruiser.  The seat is in too good of condition.  
View Quote

Though it's the same car and system we use this is a pic I pulled off google and I'm sure it hasn't seen much use yet. I drive a 2016 model and the seat is already getting torn up by my belt and gear. Not to mention my constant banging my sidearm on the door.

Pro tip, never buy a retired cruiser.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Though it's the same car and system we use this is a pic I pulled off google and I'm sure it hasn't seen much use yet. I drive a 2016 model and the seat is already getting torn up by my belt and gear. Not to mention my constant banging my sidearm on the door.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:That can't be an actual cruiser.  The seat is in too good of condition.  

What do I look like?  A cabbie?  
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:29:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
TURN THE ENGINE OFF, the car won't overheat and they save gas, wow who would have though it. Yep I know there will be excuses but that is all they are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DANVILLE, VA (WSET/CNN) - Shakeva Frazier said she didn’t think twice when she saw police with their car hoods up. It wasn’t until she saw a post on Facebook that led her to believe that police were blocking their dash cams.

“That camera is the backup that’s been letting us know, nationwide, what’s been going on for a long time,” Frazier said. “Those cameras are giving us a lot of information that we need.”

Danville Police Lt. Mike Wallace said officers were told to raise their hoods when their cars are idling for long periods. They started doing it during a heat wave in late August.

“The engine didn’t overheat, it just got so hot that some of the parts had melted,” Wallace said. “Well, we’ve got to take the car off line when that happens, to get it fixed.”

“So, we want to dispel this type of information that’s come from outside of our area. We want our citizens to know what the truth is.”

http://www.wbrc.com/story/33255863/police-dept-dispels-rumors-about-raised-patrol-car-hoods-in-va

People are stupid.
TURN THE ENGINE OFF, the car won't overheat and they save gas, wow who would have though it. Yep I know there will be excuses but that is all they are.

Let me tell you how to drive In the Montana snow.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.mruggedmobile.com/images/havis/Toughpad_Vehicle_Mount_2.jpg

Where's the radio.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:42:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I thought the police interceptors had upgraded cooling systems to handle the additional stress.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Interceptors?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Its been a pretty standard practice here in AZ for my entire lifetime and I'm no kid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
DANVILLE, VA (WSET/CNN) - Shakeva Frazier said she didn’t think twice when she saw police with their car hoods up. It wasn’t until she saw a post on Facebook that led her to believe that police were blocking their dash cams.

"That camera is the backup that’s been letting us know, nationwide, what’s been going on for a long time,” Frazier said. "Those cameras are giving us a lot of information that we need.”

Danville Police Lt. Mike Wallace said officers were told to raise their hoods when their cars are idling for long periods. They started doing it during a heat wave in late August.

"The engine didn’t overheat, it just got so hot that some of the parts had melted,” Wallace said. "Well, we’ve got to take the car off line when that happens, to get it fixed.”

"So, we want to dispel this type of information that’s come from outside of our area. We want our citizens to know what the truth is.”

http://www.wbrc.com/story/33255863/police-dept-dispels-rumors-about-raised-patrol-car-hoods-in-va

People are stupid.

Its been a pretty standard practice here in AZ for my entire lifetime and I'm no kid.

K9 officers have been doing it forever.

This hole blm, all cops are evil thing is getting to off the charts retarded level

Trying to provent over heating of the engine is now all about blocking the dash cam

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It's true.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"That camera is the backup that’s been letting us know, nationwide, what’s been going on for a long time,” Frazier said. "Those cameras are giving us a lot of information that we need.”

"The engine didn’t overheat, it just got so hot that some of the parts had melted,” Wallace said. "Well, we’ve got to take the car off line when that happens, to get it fixed.”

"So, we want to dispel this type of information that’s come from outside of our area. We want our citizens to know what the truth is.”

People are stupid.

It's true.  

Not a real cop, just a USAF "cop" at one point, but we always had issues with the wire harness and radiator fans in the 06-13 body style Impalas. The flight line in the FL Panhandle is not kind to cars. Our cars didnt have "upgraded" anything. The AF is way too cheap.

And I'm agreeing with John, what has the world come too.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Not a real cop, just a USAF "cop" at one point, but we always had issues with the wire harness and radiator fans in the 06-13 body style Impalas. The flight line in the FL Panhandle is not kind to cars. Our cars didnt have "upgraded" anything. The AF is way too cheap.

View Quote

We had the same issue with the impalas. The fans were notoriously bad about going out.

If you stopped your car for more than 10 minutes or so, AC would cut out. Which is an issue not only for the officer wearing a vest and 20-30 pounds of gear, but for all the electronics in the car.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#34]
my '13 Charger hates 90+ degrees days and has a hard time staying cool. The auxiliary fan is always on.  I have had replaced two thermostats and 2 T-fittings in the coolant line up by the firewall since July.  The upside is it has 110k miles and will go away Jan for a new one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Common practice in hot climates, I've seen it done in several states which I've resided. Normally just popping the hood against the safety latch is all though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

People are stupid.

It's true.  

Cruising at 10-15 mph most of the time when not idling 24/7 doesnt help either.  I put 160 miles on a base motorpool loaner on a midnight shift while on Security-9 one night.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Did that all the time over my past 38 years on the job. Pop the hood, let the heat out if you are parked for any length of time. It gets hot here in Ga.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 1:59:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Despite the fact that the raising of hoods was not a dastardly conspiracy to rape and murder with impunity...

If the hoods obscure the use of the dashcam then raising the hoods is not an acceptable option, imo. The cameras are there, ostensibly, for both citizen and officer, they are meant to film the interaction, tax money was spent to create that program and it makes no sense to waste that money and that function.
View Quote

Tax money is also spent on those cars, which are a valuable tool and asset.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

We bought a bunch of pads but they were super slow without a keyboard.

I think most in my department have quit using them and I think we are going back to laptops.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We bought a bunch of pads but they were super slow without a keyboard.

I think most in my department have quit using them and I think we are going back to laptops.

Learn to love Bluetooth.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:09:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

We had the same issue with the impalas. The fans were notoriously bad about going out.

If you stopped your car for more than 10 minutes or so, AC would cut out. Which is an issue not only for the officer wearing a vest and 20-30 pounds of gear, but for all the electronics in the car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah. I spent many an hour driving the same 3.2 mi circuit around the flight line so my car would have bearable a/c.

I was just being proactive in my zone.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Why not just turn them off?????
View Quote

Because then there wouldn't be any AC?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Thanks for proving once again that you cannot lead a horse to common sense.    "Police Cruisers" in a small town are whatever they can get for cheap from the local dealership. The only difference is the paint scheme and MAYBE an upgraded alternator.

Have any of you waterheads figured out yet that they would have to put the hood DOWN  in order to make a traffic stop in the first place?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Weird, we where never told to raise the hoods on our ambulances, despite the fact that sat idling in 120 degree heat for 8-10 hours some days, never saw a patrol car with its hood up either. VA not spring for the hot weather package on their rigs?

Police cruisers typically have upgraded cooling systems for the engine, oil, and transmission so tge car can be used in high speed chases and long idle times.

I dont buy their bullshit excuse for a second.  They will find another way to cover the dash cameras.

Thanks for proving once again that you cannot lead a horse to common sense.    "Police Cruisers" in a small town are whatever they can get for cheap from the local dealership. The only difference is the paint scheme and MAYBE an upgraded alternator.

Have any of you waterheads figured out yet that they would have to put the hood DOWN  in order to make a traffic stop in the first place?

Danville isn't exactly a small town.  It is poor as dirt though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've never seen it anywhere I have lived.

(IN, PA, CT, NJ.)
View Quote

Try living south of the line. It gets up to 110 in the summer. Wearing dark uniforms, body armor, and a gunbelt gets hot. Working traffic at a fatal wreck, or other traffic direction detail can have you out of the car for two or more hours in that heat. Do you want to hop into a car that been turned off in those conditions?
They would have to close the hood before taking off after a violator anyway. And do you really think that when they stop someone that they are going to take the time to raise the hood high enough to block the camera? C'mon man. Think. Has there been a situation where this has been reported as happening?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They put the hoods up when idling to keep the engine cool?  WTF kind of retarded nonsense is that?
View Quote

Another fucking Yankee heard from.

Do you even thermodynamics bro?
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if directing traffic, waiting for a wrecker to show up for a disabled vehicle, blocking lanes for road construction, etc. where you need your blue lights running...the battery might last 15-20 minutes before it goes dead.  Even the latest & greatest LED lightbars will drain it if the motor isn't running.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Cruising at 10-15 mph most of the time when not idling 24/7 doesnt help either.  I put 160 miles on a base motorpool loaner on a midnight shift while on Security-9 one night.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. After several briefings for driving too fast to keep the a/c working decently, I just sucked it up, parked the car in the shade, rigged a quick fuse detach to stop the parasitic drain on the bat and sat on the fucking hood with my handheld.

Midshift was much better.

And you had a nice motorpool, ours told us to go fuck ourselves.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Police cruisers typically have upgraded cooling systems for the engine, oil, and transmission so tge car can be used in high speed chases and long idle times.

I dont buy their bullshit excuse for a second.  They will find another way to cover the dash cameras.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Weird, we where never told to raise the hoods on our ambulances, despite the fact that sat idling in 120 degree heat for 8-10 hours some days, never saw a patrol car with its hood up either. VA not spring for the hot weather package on their rigs?

NO. NO they do not. usually the only difference is a bigger alternator, and dual exhaust. And some interior mods.
Who really cares what you buy, anyhow.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

And if directing traffic, waiting for a wrecker to show up for a disabled vehicle, blocking lanes for road construction, etc. where you need your blue lights running...the battery might last 15-20 minutes before it goes dead.  Even the latest & greatest LED lightbars will drain it if the motor isn't running.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its really quite amazing how fast a radio and lightbar(even LED) can drain a battery.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Despite the fact that the raising of hoods was not a dastardly conspiracy to rape and murder with impunity...

If the hoods obscure the use of the dashcam then raising the hoods is not an acceptable option, imo. The cameras are there, ostensibly, for both citizen and officer, they are meant to film the interaction, tax money was spent to create that program and it makes no sense to waste that money and that function.
View Quote

Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top