Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your dad needs a new vet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad shoots them and cotton tails on site now after the vet told him their urine on grass and feed for the cows can cause health problems.  This after one of his cows got sick and couldn't have calves any more.  We had lots of rabbits to begin with here and they seemed to have had a record mating season last year.

Perhaps, but what university did you get your veterinary degree from?  Or maybe you need to do a basic google search?  Not saying it's an every day common problem, but rabbits can look healthy yet pass on various bacterial diseases in their urine that can affect other animals and humans that come in contact and consume it.  These aren't the cute little rabbits in the pet store, these are wild animals.  I'm not talking about some cow eating a small piece of grass while grazing in an open pasture.   I'm talking about a healthy rabbit population feeding/urinating in a smaller area where a couple cows are fed hay/alfalfa/range cubes/water regularly in a pen area when they aren't out grazing on grass in years we actually have good rainfall.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:11:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Terminated with extreme prejudice.
View Quote

This, exactly.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I've shot them until I was ashamed of myself.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:36:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They pretty much disappeared around here about the same time that the horned toads did.

Still see one every now and then, but not like they once were.

View Quote

Same here but I've finallu started seeing them again. Got a breeding pair on our place that showed up about 3/4 months ago, and I've found myself being oddly protective of them when we have company out to hog hunt. Plenty of cottontails to bowhunt or for my niece and nephew to hunt, so I would like to let the jackrabbits get settled and a have a couple litters to build up a population base before I add them to the list of huntable animals on our property.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Same here but I've finallu started seeing them again. Got a breeding pair on our place that showed up about 3/4 months ago, and I've found myself being oddly protective of them when we have company out to hog hunt. Plenty of cottontails to bowhunt or for my niece and nephew to hunt, so I would like to let the jackrabbits get settled and a have a couple litters to build up a population base before I add them to the list of huntable animals on our property.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They pretty much disappeared around here about the same time that the horned toads did.

Still see one every now and then, but not like they once were.

So I saw both in WY...

I don't mind killing pests but there is a huge difference between killing and wiping out. They are wiped out in many parts of the country where they used to be plentiful. Sounds like the passenger pigeon.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:29:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Seems like it would be great fun to let loose a couple sighthounds and let them work their magic.
View Quote

And by sighthounds, you mean 100 grain HP's from a .260 rem

*kaB00m!*
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My dad always said they were full of worms, never tried to eat one, probably tough and stringy as hell.
View Quote

Not bad in a slow cooker.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:32:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad always said they were full of worms, never tried to eat one, probably tough and stringy as hell.

so, they are edible? never knew.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure which I've killed more of? European Sparrows or Jacks, I'm guessing Sparrows and I never tried to eat them either.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#10]
FUN!!

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:38:48 AM EDT
[#11]
For everyone that's claiming they aren't edible, Google "Sardinian Hare Stew".

When I lived out West I used to shoot a few to eat when I got a craving. They're not as tasty as cottontail but they're far from unpleasant if cooked well. You guys act like they're fish-fed bear or something.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not sure which I've killed more of? European Sparrows or Jacks, I'm guessing Sparrows and I never tried to eat them either.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had fried sparrows in Thailand. They taste just like quail.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I love rabbit hunting.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me and the brother in law embarked on a mission to try and eat all manners of wild game that we could hunt and kill.

Took a lot of beer to work up an appetite, but it really was pretty good.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#15]
iv never seen one in the united states... however, when I was in Germany I DID see what had to be jackrabbits there. big assed rabbit that was so big it looked like a medium sized dog sitting in the fields... fast as hell too.

I can remember riding around in south florida back in the 1970's, and seeing HUNDREDS of rabbits at a time, running back and forth across the road as you drove around in the glades and other back areas.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#16]
People made fun of Romney for "hunting rabbits" but there are generations of LDS youth who learned to shoot by heading into the desert from SL to "hunt rabbits." It is a very, very common Ward activity for the LDS youth... And the jackrabbits are vermin out there...

Some of my first experiences shooting as a young scout was on rabbit "hunts."

My kids go out "rabbit hunting" with their cousins when we go West for the summer...

I have killed many, many, many jack rabbits...
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:47:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Perhaps, but what university did you get your veterinary degree from?  Or maybe you need to do a basic google search?  Not saying it's an every day common problem, but rabbits can look healthy yet pass on various bacterial diseases in their urine that can affect other animals and humans that come in contact and consume it.  These aren't the cute little rabbits in the pet store, these are wild animals.  I'm not talking about some cow eating a small piece of grass while grazing in an open pasture.   I'm talking about a healthy rabbit population feeding/urinating in a smaller area where a couple cows are fed hay/alfalfa/range cubes/water regularly in a pen area when they aren't out grazing on grass in years we actually have good rainfall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad shoots them and cotton tails on site now after the vet told him their urine on grass and feed for the cows can cause health problems.  This after one of his cows got sick and couldn't have calves any more.  We had lots of rabbits to begin with here and they seemed to have had a record mating season last year.

So what disease does it cause?  I've ran cattle all my life, never blamed a bunny for an open cow.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#18]
The population would go up and down yearly. Wet year, lots of vegetation, lots of food... You could expect the population to go up in the next couple of years.

Drought years, you could expect the population to drop over time.

There were times we would go to the west desert, and only see a couple.

There were times we would walk out into the brush, and see the ground move from rabbits. They populate like crazy, and the numbers could be huge...

Lots of happy mag dumps in my youth...
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#19]
We used to hunt Jack Rabbits right after a good blizzard when the snow is hard and covering all the food, they congregate around the haystacks. Just would take a Cat out to the hay and stand on the bales and shoot them with 12 gauges and when they all ran out into the snow we switched to AR's. Once they all got scared of no cover they would charge back for the bales and we would switch back to 12ga. Last time we went we did this for about and hour and got 35 Runny Babbits. Then we cleaned them, soaked them in italian dressing for a day and had a cookout.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#20]
I took out a bunch of them at night with a cargo van on highway 40 in Utah near the Colorado border.  Crazy things would dart across the road and then (after reaching safety) would run back into the tires.  Maybe some kind of kamikazes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#21]
out in northern nevada we have as many as 10-15 or them per acre, one day god is going to judge me for the bunny holocaust I have done.  .22 lr meh, .17 hmr will almost always drop them in their tracks ( also makes a load POP when it hits), .223 50g vmax is absolutely devastating as can see in the below pic ( shot from 100 yards, blood was sprayed in a fan that measured 10 yards or more from the shot).  " />
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I haven't seen a jack rabbit in years around here. Iowa doesn't even have a season for them anymore so you  couldn't legally shoot them anyway.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:19:29 PM EDT
[#24]

all those rabbits in the pen give me anxiety...  that's too much meat, moving waaay too fast.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:20:50 PM EDT
[#25]
My one disappointment about hunting in Texas was not seeing any jackrabbits. We probably killed 45 cottontails in two days, but nary a jack was spotted.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:23:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:29:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:32:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:32:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've shot them until I was ashamed of myself.

View Quote

Night time in the desert with a side by side ATV. One driver, one passenger with a spotlight. Two shooters in the bed with 10/22's over the rollbar with a mountain of mags.

It's about as much fun as you can have with your pants on.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:40:07 PM EDT
[#36]
I have hit more running jack rabbits with my varmint AR than I care to count.

Between the time I jump one, around 25 yards away, and the first aimed shot they are usually already 50 yards away.   If I dont hit them on the first shot it could be 2 or 3 more shots and another 10p yards before it gets dropped.

If the things are not running they are usually 200+ yards away and need a centerfire to hit them.   Making hits on a running jack with a 6.5-20 leupold isnt always the easiest thing but it helps develop decent skills.

You knw they are a problem when Ca even manages to allow year round no bag limit taking.    The numbers are declining too.    Used tk be tons of them 20 years ago in Ca.    As little as 6 years ago it was work trying to find them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

They are foul, mangy, LARGE pests. I might try to eat one if I was starving to death and no worm ridden coyote was available.

Just one will ruin a garden over night. It's not like they just eat a couple of tomatoes or squash. They will dig everything up. Uproot plants they don't even seem to eat on.

Looking for grubs or maybe eat on the roots or just fucking evil.

I don't touch them once I shoot them unless I need to fling them over a fence. And then I wear gloves.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why are they pests? I walked up on one when I was in Wyoming a couple weeks ago. Didn't even bother taking a shot at it. My dad said he used to sit on the back porch and shoot them when he was a kid here in Florida. Now they are gone. Supposedly there is still a population down around the international airport in Miami but I've never seen one.

LOL ask my wife! She has an extensive garden in the back yard. They dig up all her plants.

So? We have to kill everything because your stupid garden?

They are foul, mangy, LARGE pests. I might try to eat one if I was starving to death and no worm ridden coyote was available.

Just one will ruin a garden over night. It's not like they just eat a couple of tomatoes or squash. They will dig everything up. Uproot plants they don't even seem to eat on.

Looking for grubs or maybe eat on the roots or just fucking evil.

I don't touch them once I shoot them unless I need to fling them over a fence. And then I wear gloves.

havent been around Jacks in ages, but i remember them being LOADED with Ticks and fleas, and the one i gutted and tried to clean had some kind of parasitic worm infestation
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Rare to see around my parts anymore but these damn desert bunnies are the new evil!
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

So what disease does it cause?  I've ran cattle all my life, never blamed a bunny for an open cow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some diseases, lots of parasites... screwworms, blackleg, heelfly grubs, brucellosis, fever ticks, equine encephalitis among others.

Jackrabbits can be huge vectors for all kinds of nasties in cattle, goats, and sheep.  Your snarky answer was very uninformed.  Perhaps you're the one who needs a new vet, though the fertility thing seems far fetched.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Always ignored the Jack rabbits, need to try a slow cooked one.  Very fun to hunt too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Always ignored the Jack rabbits, need to try a slow cooked one.  Very fun to hunt too.
View Quote

My grandmother talks about trying to make Texas jackrabbits palatable during the Depression.  That lady was a hell of a cook back in the day, but she said it was a wasted effort.  They did keep the dogs fed, however...
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Some diseases, lots of parasites... screwworms, blackleg, heelfly grubs, brucellosis, fever ticks, equine encephalitis among others.

Jackrabbits can be huge vectors for all kinds of nasties in cattle, goats, and sheep.  Your snarky answer was very uninformed.  Perhaps you're the one who needs a new vet, though the fertility thing seems far fetched.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cattle catching bangs from bunnies?  If true bangs would be everywhere, not just in the Yellowstone elk and bison.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:22:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Cattle catching bangs from bunnies?  If true bangs would be everywhere, not just in the Yellowstone elk and bison.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
(Snip)

Look it up... brucellosis can be carried by jackrabbits.  I'm guessing (and it is just a guess) that many of these issues are bigger problems down here where we don't get as many hard freezes as up north... All I know is I've given a lot of vaccinations and helped with many thousands of tilter tests...

After some quick research, rabbits can in fact also carry leptospirosis, which can cause fertility issues in cattle. If you have cows that have trouble getting bred, though, I'd say it's most likely poor nutrition (or a genetic disorder)...
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Best shot I ever took.

Running Jack at 75 yards, caught my interest while target shooting, spun to the right and took the shot- Dan Wesson 6 inch, .357 Mag, 125 grn JHP,

home-built re-loads.

Cut him in half.

Very, Very satisifying.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Shoot on sight.

Many do not know they will eat meat.... So will Prairie Dogs.

View Quote

This is perhaps the most I've read in a while.

Is there a lot of livestock predation by jack rabbits and prairie dogs in your location?

Don't get me wrong, I like shooting jack rabbits as much as anyone else but to feel the need to justify it by saying they are predators is just about fucking stupid.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Is there a lot of livestock predation by jack rabbits and prairie dogs in your location?

Don't get me wrong, I like shooting jack rabbits as much as anyone else but to feel the need to justify it by saying they are predators is just about fucking stupid.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shoot on sight.

Many do not know they will eat meat.... So will Prairie Dogs.

I don't think he was trying to justify it,

Just pointing out that Jacks, prairie dogs, and even ground squirrels eat meat.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:41:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife is a vet and she said it's called lepto. They even have vaccines for it. The cow is probably breeding up but then aborting. We recently (last two years) began vaccinating for it down on the ranch in west Texas.

Eta: She said raccoons, possums and skunks etc. can transmit lepto too.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:59:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

My wife is a vet and she said it's called lepto. They even have vaccines for it. The cow is probably breeding up but then aborting. We recently (last two years) began vaccinating for it down on the ranch in west Texas.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I vaccinate for lepto/vibrio (Staybred, IIRC) also 7way for blackleg.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

For everyone that's claiming they aren't edible, Google "Sardinian Hare Stew".

When I lived out West I used to shoot a few to eat when I got a craving. They're not as tasty as cottontail but they're far from unpleasant if cooked well. You guys act like they're fish-fed bear or something.
View Quote
Sardinian Hare stew is next.  I can't believe I turned up my nose at jacks for so long.
A friend gave me some grilled backstrap that was delicious.  That was the only part he saved.  

The next time we went hunting we saved more of the jacks. So, I tried some Hasenpheffer a couple of months ago.

Everyone that tried it couldn't believe how good it was.

I've got three more in the freezer from the last hunt.  The Hasenpheffer was so good, I'm torn between making that again or the Sardinian Hare stew.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top