BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:25:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
<a href="http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/125-1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/IV_Troop/125-1.jpg</a>
View Quote

What do you do with them? Aside from mounting skulls on your fenceposts.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I vaccinate for lepto/vibrio (Staybred, IIRC) also 7way for blackleg.
View Quote

As do we.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
My older Brittany chases down cottontails like they are standing still.  I haven't seen a jackrabbit in MN in a while, but pheasant hunting in SD we see them occasionally.  The dog got a scent of one, pointed it, then it bolted.  The chase was on in relatively open country.  The dog came back exhausted and with no bunny.  He even gave me a look of "what the fuck kinda crazy fast rabbits do they have around here?"  First time I ever saw a rabbit get the best of him.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#4]
When I'm hanging out in my folks garden I'll shoot a rabbit if they come across my path.

I don't go through much hassle of getting all the meat, but I will chop off the back legs and throw them on the grill

Shot some big ones last summer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Seems like it would be great fun to let loose a couple sighthounds and let them work their magic.
View Quote

I reckon the hare gets fucked.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:20:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

As do we.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I vaccinate for lepto/vibrio (Staybred, IIRC) also 7way for blackleg.

As do we.

doesn't everyone?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#7]
It's too bad they don't taste better.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Teach hunting skills to the next generation with them.  

There was a day when with two 400 round bricks of .22 (less than $20.00 total) you could spend all day in parts of the west blasting bunnies.  Best education a young boy or girl could get.
View Quote

When I was a kid they paid bounty on varmints.

A Saturday morning could get a dozen Jack rabbits and maybe a coyote and a kid would have enough money to go to the weekly movies, buy a couple cokes and some lunch. And still have enough to buy another box of ammo on the way back home.

Life was simple then.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:21:04 PM EDT
[#10]
We like to go spotlighting on ATV's or sidexsides....what a blast.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Odd thump sound when hit with .22.  Some just stand there then fall over minutes later.
View Quote

17HMR & watch there guts fly.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:40:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My older Brittany chases down cottontails like they are standing still.  I haven't seen a jackrabbit in MN in a while, but pheasant hunting in SD we see them occasionally.  The dog got a scent of one, pointed it, then it bolted.  The chase was on in relatively open country.  The dog came back exhausted and with no bunny.  He even gave me a look of "what the fuck kinda crazy fast rabbits do they have around here?"  First time I ever saw a rabbit get the best of him.
View Quote

My 10 years old Brittany can chase down jack rabbits.  She's a freak though.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:11:58 AM EDT
[#13]
I live in Orang County Ca  We have cottentails in the yard. What kinda problems can my dogs have?
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:28:43 AM EDT
[#14]
varmint.  Kill on sight
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:39:51 AM EDT
[#15]
My wife likes them. She's home bound do to MS and it's one of her few joys. They fuck up the lawn pretty bad!  Dogs have been trained that the rabbits are " Elephants " so my dogs go bat shit crazy and chase Elephants out of the yard on command.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 3:49:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

so, they are edible? never knew.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad always said they were full of worms, never tried to eat one, probably tough and stringy as hell.

Not bad in a slow cooker.

so, they are edible? never knew.

Best way to do it. Makes separating the meat from the bones a bit easier. Don't think I'd eat them if in a southern state, but most wild things down there probably have worms.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 4:05:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So? We have to kill everything because your stupid garden?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why are they pests? I walked up on one when I was in Wyoming a couple weeks ago. Didn't even bother taking a shot at it. My dad said he used to sit on the back porch and shoot them when he was a kid here in Florida. Now they are gone. Supposedly there is still a population down around the international airport in Miami but I've never seen one.

LOL ask my wife! She has an extensive garden in the back yard. They dig up all her plants.

Go back to Fl
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Lol.

Grab a beer, and relax.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Shoot on sight.

Many do not know they will eat meat.... So will Prairie Dogs.

This is perhaps the most I've read in a while.

Is there a lot of livestock predation by jack rabbits and prairie dogs in your location?

Don't get me wrong, I like shooting jack rabbits as much as anyone else but to feel the need to justify it by saying they are predators is just about fucking stupid.

Lol.

Grab a beer, and relax.

One time I was about to enjoy my Five Guys burger. I got up to wash my hands and when I came back the bacon and burger patty were gone....Damn Jackrabbits!!!

That wasn't  a justification for shooting them, which I do not need. It was merely a tidbit of information many do not know.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I know this is a jack thread, but during the winter, cottontail are mighty fine bbq.
Kill and grill.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So I saw both in WY...

http://i64.tinypic.com/2e5o6ir.jpg

I don't mind killing pests but there is a huge difference between killing and wiping out. They are wiped out in many parts of the country where they used to be plentiful. Sounds like the passenger pigeon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They pretty much disappeared around here about the same time that the horned toads did.

Still see one every now and then, but not like they once were.

Same here but I've finallu started seeing them again. Got a breeding pair on our place that showed up about 3/4 months ago, and I've found myself being oddly protective of them when we have company out to hog hunt. Plenty of cottontails to bowhunt or for my niece and nephew to hunt, so I would like to let the jackrabbits get settled and a have a couple litters to build up a population base before I add them to the list of huntable animals on our property.

So I saw both in WY...

http://i64.tinypic.com/2e5o6ir.jpg

I don't mind killing pests but there is a huge difference between killing and wiping out. They are wiped out in many parts of the country where they used to be plentiful. Sounds like the passenger pigeon.

Miss those lil lizards.
Had em as pets when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why are they pests? I walked up on one when I was in Wyoming a couple weeks ago. Didn't even bother taking a shot at it. My dad said he used to sit on the back porch and shoot them when he was a kid here in Florida. Now they are gone. Supposedly there is still a population down around the international airport in Miami but I've never seen one.

LOL ask my wife! She has an extensive garden in the back yard. They dig up all her plants.

This.  I don't get lets kill them all!  Your not hunting, your being sadistic.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Choot 'em.  Almost as much fun as whackin' prairie dogs.

There's been a bumper crop in Sweetwater CO WY for the past two years  This was mid April.

40gr Vmax' mess 'em up.

Suppressed 22-250AI does a number on them too.

6x45 carbine.  Running head shot.  August last year.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

They multiply and eat everything in their path.

We used to shoot them in idaho; just drive some back roads and a couple of clean cut guys could easily be in item to shoot all they wanted off a rancher ' s alfalfa plot.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#24]
never bothered shooting them,

they any good in stew or chili?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
no

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Opps, that's what I was thinking.

Sorry, I was initially thinking of prairie dogs.

Good riddance to them as well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't kill what I don't plan to eat.

Wait another year or two, the armadillos will be in TN to change your mind.
Those fuckers carry plague (yersinia pestis).

No, they can carry leprosy though.
Opps, that's what I was thinking.

Sorry, I was initially thinking of prairie dogs.

Good riddance to them as well.

Actually it's the fleas on prairie dogs, ground squirrels and chipmunks that carry the plague virus.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 4:19:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, they are. People like to swear they're not so they can justify shooting them as "useless varmints". The meat is super lean, so it's susceptible to overcooking. It's great stewed, braised or marinated in Italian dressing before grilling. It's rabbit, it's not a dumpster diving trash kitten like a possum.

Google "Steven Rinella Sardinian hare stew"
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:56:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 2:14:40 AM EDT
[#29]
"Hell I was there".  Mudlake Bunny Bash '84.  For all the naysayers that have never seen rabbits as thick as ants.  Cases upon cases(not bricks) of 22lr. Fish and Game opened night/spotlight shooting. Millions of rabbits.  You just cant imagine what that many rabbits can do to a stack of alfalfa. Rabbit shit an inch deep for acres and acres.  I've seen 1800 acres of green turn brown and grey in one day. look it up...
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top