Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 28
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:52:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Does nobody on this show have the goal of staying the longest and winning the money?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not Mike, dammit.  Never thought Larry would outlast Mike and Randy both.

Mike said on his facebook page that the editors did a good job of making his departuer seem like a surprise to some...

He said his goal was to represent camping & survival skills, and bush crafting as something so awesome and fun that it would motivate many other people into getting off the couch, and get out into nature to try doing these things for themselves.  He believed he had accomplished that goal, and went home to Barbara.

Yeah, I think his OCD / attachment issues may have influenced things as well, but that's life.

Does nobody on this show have the goal of staying the longest and winning the money?

That makes them sound crass.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:57:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

My money is on Jose domesticating it and turning it into a pet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just caught up. I loved seeing the Barbara guy's camp and how well situated he was. It's a shame about him. I also enjoyed Jose's bit, as usual.

But the hippie guy... I thought he'd be the one to pull it off and on one level, I'm sorry to see him go because I enjoy watching the bushcraft elements the show provides, but the editors did the viewers no favors by spending so much of the past few episodes on his existential whining. That indian chant...

Boulder Ut, is one of those amazing places on this planet that I've been blessed to discover and spend time around.  I knew going in that Randy's skill set in that area wouldn't translate well to the PNW but I hoped he would have done better. Hippies are fragile things.

If Mike didn't have all those past demons he would have had a functioning internet built in a year.  He was fun to watch.  I hope he heals at some point in his life.

There is a humility that spending large amounts of time in the wilderness teaches.  Jose has it.  Larry is just angry enough to tell the whole world (including Vancouver Island) FUCKYOU!  Nicole.....ditto Jose but more fragile.  She will leave due to medical. Dave literally doesn't have any other choices and there is an angry ex wife back home so he might just stay put.  And why in the world is .Mil guy expending calories climbing mountains and not rebuilding?  Symbolism over Substance and it will cost him the game.

I'm wondering now who it is that gets to fight off that wolf?

ETA: I'm remembering that you don't have to live there a year to win.....you just have to outlast everyone else.  

My money is on Jose domesticating it and turning it into a pet.

Plot Twist:  Jose is the wolf.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#3]
WTF is with the guy just abandoning his shit and going for a climb without rope?
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

WTF is with the guy just abandoning his shit and going for a climb without rope?
View Quote

Retarded.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Jose or Nicole for the win.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:08:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My call on last three

Larry R.
Justin V.
Tracy W.

meh. Show is dumb. Probably as made up as the rest of them.

None of them brought anything to dig with.
View Quote

looks like two of my picks are still in the game?

Is larry and justin still on the show?
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn it one of my horses is going on a solo mountain climb without rope.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#8]
given the time of insertion into the area and the biggest set back being restricted to a certain area, the whole 365 day possibility is total bullshit. No "contestant" will ever have to go longer than 60 days to win this show.

500,000 / 60 days = 8k+ a day - my wife will gladly miss me for that type of overtime.

The guy from utah blew it as an instructor this could have been a commercial for his school and he displayed a complete lack of inner strength.

I can see why tribes used to send individuals into the woods by them self when coming of age, it's a good test.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I suspect he's planning on going out in the blaze of glory.  He doesn't want to tap out, per se, he wants to be forced out, i.e. "rescued."

Kinda like Mary Kate.  While I don't think she cut herself on purpose and planned on staying much longer, I have a feeling she had an exit plan.  

That said, I like Justin.  He seems like a hell of a guy to hang out with.  All of them do, frankly.  I didn't get that impression last season.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I suspect he's planning on going out in the blaze of glory.  He doesn't want to tap out, per se, he wants to be forced out, i.e. "rescued."

Kinda like Mary Kate.  While I don't think she cut herself on purpose and planned on staying much longer, I have a feeling she had an exit plan.  

That said, I like Justin.  He seems like a hell of a guy to hang out with.  All of them do, frankly.  I didn't get that impression last season.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe, I think he is done.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:19:23 PM EDT
[#11]
One thing I thought of last episode is that they have probably shown a total of 5min of Jose through the entire season, while they've dedicated nearly full episodes to some contestants.  Even when he's building his boat, he doesn't get much time.  To me, this says they are going to dedicate the entire last episode to him.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
One thing I thought of last episode is that they have probably shown a total of 5min of Jose through the entire season, while they've dedicated nearly full episodes to some contestants.  Even when he's building his boat, he doesn't get much time.  To me, this says they are going to dedicate the entire last episode to him.
View Quote

That seems likely. I still like Larry for the second spot. No shortage of shell fish in his area. Marry has to rely on fishing.

Justin also had a good spot, but he got a wild hair.

something I noticed last episode. Gulls have a habbit of sunning on narrow sand bars along the coast.If someone could figure out which bars gulls like to sun on and rig up a net just right, they would be able to catch a lot of birds.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Money can become very abstract and foreign when confronted with realisms experienced under such circumstance.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Money can become very abstract and foreign when confronted with realisms experienced under such circumstance.

View Quote

I can see that, but why go on the show in the first place? Take out mney and that just leaves vanity. I'm being cynical.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I can see that, but why go on the show in the first place? Take out mney and that just leaves vanity. I'm being cynical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If one is only after the coin, I'm thinking it takes a shitload of mental discipline. Like Navy SEAL, never quit sort of discipline.

Everyone wants to think they have the grit but that ain't the way it is. I'm willing to admit I probably don't. I'd be fine for a while but.... I'm not sure I could hack 3 or 4 months voluntarily for only half a mil.

I've been close enough to know that's a long fucking time with yourself.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 11:37:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Justin does leave with rope. It's slung on like a backpack.

We already know Jose ends up in the drink. Shows it at beginning of every show.

Ridgerunner... they must be showing a different opening where you are watching it because they don't show a map on TV. There is a quick shot zooming into Vancouver Island. Kinda satellite looking shot. Nothing designating anyone's location.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 5:58:45 AM EDT
[#17]
None of the contestants seem to be bothered by mosquitos or other biting insects

I don't know the area, but seems that marshy environment would be thick with blood suckers

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 6:34:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

What a waste of energy.  After this weeks episode I'm rally starting to suspect it's all fake made-up reality TV bullshit, just like about everything else on the tube nowadays.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

There's no way I'd do that show for the money. Whomever does it for the experience is the one who'll last the longest.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ridgerunner... they must be showing a different opening where you are watching it because they don't show a map on TV. There is a quick shot zooming into Vancouver Island. Kinda satellite looking shot. Nothing designating anyone's location.
View Quote

No map. I see the sat image with the little red arrow or circle (can't remember which) showing the location of the person they're about to feature. Not at the opening but when coming back from commercial and changing featured contestants. Who knows if there's any accuracy to the picture.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:52:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
None of the contestants seem to be bothered by mosquitos or other biting insects

I don't know the area, but seems that marshy environment would be thick with blood suckers

View Quote

Whether hiking youtube vids, or network TV, nobody shows getting bugged by insects or snakes.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:57:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

30 feet of rope means no rope.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not Mike, dammit.  Never thought Larry would outlast Mike and Randy both.

Mike said on his facebook page that the editors did a good job of making his departuer seem like a surprise to some...

He said his goal was to represent camping & survival skills, and bush crafting as something so awesome and fun that it would motivate many other people into getting off the couch, and get out into nature to try doing these things for themselves.  He believed he had accomplished that goal, and went home to Barbara.

Yeah, I think his OCD / attachment issues may have influenced things as well, but that's life.

They're rationalizing their decision for the audience. Nobody wants to be seen as a failure or a quitter, especially a "survival expert."
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote
what if Jose is a crap cameraman and the video he shot is too shitty to use in the show?  Bad set of batteries that didn't get replaced for a week or two.  lots of reason he has had limited screen time.

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:05:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There's no way I'd do that show for the money. Whomever does it for the experience is the one who'll last the longest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they're not doing it for the money and to be the last person on the island, they're going in to fail.  It's literally the goal of the show.  

I would rather see 10 Type A's almost kill themselves to see how long they can last than 10 people piddling around for a couple weeks then going home.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:07:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
what if Jose is a crap cameraman and the video he shot is too shitty to use in the show?  Bad set of batteries that didn't get replaced for a week or two.  lots of reason he has had limited screen time.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That could very well be, but the clips they've shown us have been pretty good so far.  I still stand by my statement that he's shape-shifting and doesn't want to show it on camera.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

What a waste of energy.  After this weeks episode I'm rally starting to suspect it's all fake made-up reality TV bullshit, just like about everything else on the tube nowadays.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?  People approach living and survival in very different ways.  We are all different.  Makes sense we are seeing wildly different experieces.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Whether hiking youtube vids, or network TV, nobody shows getting bugged by insects or snakes.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you seen naked and afraid...  Those people get eaten alive
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think in the PNW at the time of year they are there it is too cold for mosquitos.

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

If they're not doing it for the money and to be the last person on the island, they're going in to fail.  It's literally the goal of the show.  

I would rather see 10 Type A's almost kill themselves to see how long they can last than 10 people piddling around for a couple weeks then going home.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My point is, the experience is worth more than the money.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's working out to somewhere in the range of $10-20 Thousand PER DAY.  That would buy you a lot of experience doing something really meaningful and fun.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's the entire entertainment aspect as well. Jose is just a mild-mannered, soft-spoken, boring, hippie ponytail dude. Not too exciting. Mike was clearly insane from having spent too much time on his own during his formative years. That's what made him interesting and therefore marketable as a reality show contestant. Their survival skills are about even, but who makes a better TV show? Same thing with Larry getting pissed off and cursing a blue streak through the wilderness. He knows enough to survive but he's mainly there because his tantrums can make people tune in.

As long as Jose can recover from dumping his canoe, he'll win.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#33]
"We said that the point was that even with the highest personal development and liberation, the person comes up against the real despair of the human condition. Indeed, because of that development his eyes are opened to the reality of things; there is no turning back to the comforts of a secure and armored [unconcious] life. The person is stuck with the full problem of himself, and yet he cannot rely on himself to make any sense out of it. For such a person, as Camus said, "the weight of days is dreadful."

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:54:24 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
"We said that the point was that even with the highest personal development and liberation, the person comes up against the real despair of the human condition. Indeed, because of that development his eyes are opened to the reality of things; there is no turning back to the comforts of a secure and armored [unconcious] life. The person is stuck with the full problem of himself, and yet he cannot rely on himself to make any sense out of it. For such a person, as Camus said, "the weight of days is dreadful."

View Quote

That's only one side of the coin.

It more or less comes down to how one reacts to life. One can be a pessimist or an optimist. A realist can be either of those because they are how the realist reacts and perceives that which is real.

So, you can see that life isn't easy, bad things will happen, life will end, you'll make mistakes and have regrets, good things will happen but won't last forever. etc etc. You can accept that reality and be glad and happy for the opportunity. Or you can accept that reality and feel sorry for yourself and your condition.

You're driving down the road and your metaphorical car breaks down. Do you sit on the side of the road cussing the car and feeling sorry for yourself because of your predicament? Or do you hop out, grab your stuff and be thankful that the car got you this far and you have that much less of a distance to walk?

How we react ( and reaction becomes a habit as we see with the comparison between Larry and Jose) has much more to do with how we experience life than what actually happens.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It more or less comes down to how one reacts to life. One can be a pessimist or an optimist. A realist can be either of those because they are how the realist reacts and perceives that which is real.

So, you can see that life isn't easy, bad things will happen, life will end, you'll make mistakes and have regrets, good things will happen but won't last forever. etc etc. You can accept that reality and be glad and happy for the opportunity. Or you can accept that reality and feel sorry for yourself and your condition.

You're driving down the road and your metaphorical car breaks down. Do you sit on the side of the road cussing the car and feeling sorry for yourself because of your predicament? Or do you hop out, grab your stuff and be thankful that the car got you this far and you have that much less of a distance to walk?

How we react ( and reaction becomes a habit as we see with the comparison between Larry and Jose) has much more to do with how we experience life than what actually happens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me, I grab my tools, fix the truck/car on the side of the road and carry on.  I'm dirty and pissed off that it broke down and I've got some torn up knuckles to show for it....but I'm moving down the road again.  It's happened more than once and sometimes in places that would make Vancouver Island look like Manhattan.  

Looking fwd to tonight episode.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Me, I grab my tools, fix the truck/car on the side of the road and carry on.  I'm dirty and pissed off that it broke down and I've got some torn up knuckles to show for it....but I'm moving down the road again.  It's happened more than once and sometimes in places that would make Vancouver Island look like Manhattan.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, grease monkey.

You're riding your metaphorical horse and he falls over dead.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#37]

The Ascent

One participant races to find the salmon run before it ends, while another undertakes an epic journey; one of the survivalists tries to combat nature's fury head on.

The Madness

While some of the participants push themselves to ensure long-term survival, others question their ability to endure.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The Ascent

One participant races to find the salmon run before it ends, while another undertakes an epic journey; one of the survivalists tries to combat nature's fury head on.

The Madness

While some of the participants push themselves to ensure long-term survival, others question their ability to endure.

View Quote

Sounds like we finally get to see the wolf.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:07:08 PM EDT
[#39]
What kind of jacket does David have on?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:46:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I dunno, but he was the only one with packing weight when they went in and he looks skinnier than all of them.

How many more episodes are left?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#41]
David is talking about how he can't quit....so that usually means he's done.

Other than that it looks like these last five have got some stick to them.

Nicole and Jose are going to be fun to watch survive the winter.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#42]
On this re-cap, I cant read the captions from Alan (lousy font too small)
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:15:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd be more interested in that outfit Larry wears. Looks all out of proportion and homemade.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:22:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Jose keeps talking about missing salmon run. Is he planning on eating good for a few or does he have some plan on preserving a ton of fish to get through winter?

On the other side we have Nichole turning fish loose. She could have dug the freezer like the other guy back at the beginning.

The other 3 are starving. They are going to hate Nicole when this is over.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:34:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Jose keeps talking about missing salmon run. Is he planning on eating good for a few or does he have some plan on preserving a ton of fish to get through winter?

On the other side we have Nichole turning fish loose. She could have dug the freezer like the other guy back at the beginning.

The other 3 are starving. They are going to hate Nicole when this is over.

View Quote

Hello Mr. Salmon, I  know you were heading upstream and pretty much killed yourself in the net, now finish your long journey out at sea.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 6:21:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Nicole actually looks like she is putting on weight.

Beginning to wonder if the show hand picked her (Masters in Marine Biology or something like that AND knows every single plant and bush in the NW) and her spot to win this game. She is starting to come off like a Ringer.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 6:27:31 AM EDT
[#47]

Last night was the first time I started having doubts about Jose winning it all. Maybe it's just the selective editing, but his fixation on the "salmon run" is getting concerning.

Nicole is entertaining, but either crazy or stupid. When the snow comes and her plants are buried, things are going to look mighty different for her.

David is doing this for all the wrong reasons, but sometimes that's enough to keep you putting one foot in front of the other. If he doesn't starve.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Nicole actually looks like she is putting on weight.

Beginning to wonder if the show hand picked her (Masters in Marine Biology or something like that AND knows every single plant and bush in the NW) and her spot to win this game. She is starting to come off like a Ringer.

View Quote

Nicole: Oh My Gawd, is my ass getting fat from all this feasting on fish. I am glad I brought a skillet the size of a trashcan lid. (a little sarcasm but that is the impression I get).

Justin bushwhacking a 1300 feet elevation gain is no easy task.

I called Larry as the winner way back in the thread, some of the others seemed too obvious, after one episode I thought that is not going to happen, he is still there so I am holding out hope more for my prediction. Sorry to see Mike go, I like him and Jose for their skills in the wilderness.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Larry will beat the show into submission.

I figure Dave or Justin (both) will leave next.  

I honestly thought Justin was going to do his last ditch climb and be done, which is what he planned apparently, but he decided to stay.  

Jose might be too gentile of a soul to stay very long, but he's also VERY patient.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I posted a thread about the season opener last week, where they showed the selection process and the training they went through. Alan was the narrator.

Nobody cared.

Me? I love the show.

ETA: you're right about this years crop though. Looks like a bunch of idiots.
View Quote

It's the drama that sells the show.

If it was a bunch of experts, no one would watch.

The History channel is just another re branded MTV/TMC House wives channel for men.  
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top