Page / 28
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#1]
SJW aka white guilt week.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it is fitting that I express my dislike of the history channel presenting alone with roots, as I sit here looking at Monticello, posting on Thomas Jefferson's wifi.
View Quote

If you're at Monticello, you should take the 15 minute ride over to Trump Winery for a tasting.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]

HISTORY: Thursday, June 9 9:00 PM
Reality, Adventure

Trial by Fire
After three weeks, mental and physical struggles take their toll on the remaining participants; some teeter on calling it quits as they battle deep-seated conflicts.

AKA, nothing much happens.

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Reality, Adventure

Trial by Fire

After three weeks, mental and physical struggles take their toll on the remaining participants; some teeter on calling it quits as they battle deep-seated conflicts.

View Quote
I find it interesting even when "nothing happens".
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:32:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Watching a couple of episodes of Season 1. These guys are hilariously afraid of these little black bears. Yeah, they're bears. Not grizzly bears or polar bears.

"Oooooooh, I'm so hungry, so sad...."

*100lbs of meat walks right into camp*

"Ah, run away run away call for help!"

Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:36:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think it is fitting that I express my dislike of the history channel presenting alone with roots, as I sit here looking at Monticello, posting on Thomas Jefferson's wifi.
View Quote

That's slave-fi
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 12:37:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Reality, Adventure

Trial by Fire

View Quote

Are they talking about being on the island or having to endure the roots marathons?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 6:37:38 AM EDT
[#8]
The original Roots had some 30 million viewers. This version is somewhere down around 3-4 million. Those numbers are bad, CBS News bad.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Rename it "Bennies" and ratings will skyrocket. No one cares about their roots.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Monticello was awesome because I'm a big TJ fan. But in the 18 years since I was last here they have seriously ramped up the fucking white guilt slavery bull shit.

Oh, and, they're not slaves anymore. The term is " enslaved laborers ".

Link Posted: 6/5/2016 11:19:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You all need to check your privilege.  Repent and watch this "Historical Journey" and learn yourself something.
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:56:59 PM EDT
[#12]
So when is the next episode? WTF. ...
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So when is the next episode? WTF. ...
View Quote

Tomorrow and it looks like 2 tap out from the previews.

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

In season 1 only 3 of them chose food rations.  In season 2, 9 of them chose rations and 4 chose double rations (Nicole, Mike, Justin and Tracy).  My guess was the contestants saw the difficulty getting food in season 1 and chose the extra rations because of that.

Here is where you can find the list of items chosen for season 1 and 2.
http://www.history.com/shows/alone/cast

I read an interesting blog the other day.  They guy basically pointed out this show really isnt about survival given how much gear these people are allowed to take.  They basically are handed a full camping gear list to take.  This show is really about your mentality and finding calories/food.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its hard to judge because so many of them took double food rations like Nicole. Once the weeks move on and thise get low I think we will see what they are really like.

Interesting. I didn't catch that piece of information. Were rations an option for the first season's crew?

In season 1 only 3 of them chose food rations.  In season 2, 9 of them chose rations and 4 chose double rations (Nicole, Mike, Justin and Tracy).  My guess was the contestants saw the difficulty getting food in season 1 and chose the extra rations because of that.

Here is where you can find the list of items chosen for season 1 and 2.
http://www.history.com/shows/alone/cast

I read an interesting blog the other day.  They guy basically pointed out this show really isnt about survival given how much gear these people are allowed to take.  They basically are handed a full camping gear list to take.  This show is really about your mentality and finding calories/food.

The show is entitled Alone. It's pretty clear to me that it's about dealing with being alone.

We like to forget how social humans are as animals. Humans highly socialized animals. Pretending we're not is a way of hiding our animal nature from ourselves. To spend long stretches of time alone is an exercise in fighting a person's basic nature. In response to some Kierkegaard quotes, someone quoted the Freud line that "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." In my view, this show is simply about tolerating being alone. I'd wager that putting these folks in the wilderness helps them go longer. I'd like to see what would happen if you put somebody in a house and brought food to them, but they couldn't communicate with the outside world, watch TV, or use a computer.

A good exercise is to think back over your life and recall the longest amount of time you've gone without seeing or communicating with another human being. Seeing people on TV counts as seeing people in this exercise. Seeing people in cars counts as seeing people. For the vast majority of people, this time period is measured in hours. I'm guessing I max out at about 12 hours.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In my view, this show is simply about tolerating being alone. I'd wager that putting these folks in the wilderness helps them go longer. I'd like to see what would happen if you put somebody in a house and brought food to them, but they couldn't communicate with the outside world, watch TV, or use a computer.
View Quote

It's been shown that putting people in solitary confinement for long periods of times literally drives them insane.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's been shown that putting people in solitary confinement for long periods of times literally drives them insane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In my view, this show is simply about tolerating being alone. I'd wager that putting these folks in the wilderness helps them go longer. I'd like to see what would happen if you put somebody in a house and brought food to them, but they couldn't communicate with the outside world, watch TV, or use a computer.

After about 3 days alone in the woods, I start talking to the critters, the trees, the water.....whoever'll listen. I'm not uppity.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

After about 3 days alone in the woods, I start talking to the critters, the trees, the water.....whoever'll listen. I'm not uppity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell I started doing that when my radio broke last summer lol.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Damn, I must be broken.

If I had food, water, was dry and bug and predator free, I could do the time. I have more than enough going on in my head to keep me entertained without interacting with other people.

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 10:01:07 PM EDT
[#20]

I figured those two wouldn't last.

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Where the f is Larry?
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Damn, I must be broken.

If I had food, water, was dry and bug and predator free, I could do the time. I have more than enough going on in my head to keep me entertained without interacting with other people.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Damn, I must be broken.

View Quote

The key is to always be working toward some goal or project. None of these guys had the goal to trap a beast and eat it. There are bears everywhere and that is like 40 lbs of protein just for the taking with a net and a sharp stick.

The guy last season who built the boat had a good thing going, then he seriously underutilized it by treating it as just a taxi to his trot line.

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Damn, I was rooting for Mike. For a half million dollars, I think I could make up for lost time with my friends and family. I figured they would tap-out due to the shitty weather, starvation, or other physical conditions - not missing someone after 21 days.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 11:21:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Damn, I was rooting for Mike.
View Quote

I thought he was doing well too.
My money's still on Jose.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 3:36:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Damn, I was rooting for Mike. For a half million dollars, I think I could make up for lost time with my friends and family. I figured they would tap-out due to the shitty weather, starvation, or other physical conditions - not missing someone after 21 days.
View Quote

Nah.

Between his Barbara shit and his orphanage induced OCD, he was a ticking time bomb.

After watching last night's episode, I was surprised that only two dropped out. They're just lucky that the really crappy weather hasn't hit yet. When it does, I think you're gonna be down to the Final Two pretty darn quickly.

Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:36:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Not Mike, dammit.  Never thought Larry would outlast Mike and Randy both.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#28]
did i miss it or did they not show any footage of nicole?
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:05:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#30]
That dude from Utah saying what's the point of living that way alone, 500K is the point, Dummy.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That dude from Utah saying what's the point of living that way alone, 500K is the point, Dummy.
View Quote

He was young and had a young family.

Sure, Sam had the maturity to see the end reward, last season. But, for the most part, it's the older people who've worked their whole life and got ground and beaten down at every turn who have that perspective of how much half a mil is really worth when weighed against home sickness or discomfort.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#32]
I was disappointed with Randy tapping out.  I was not surprised by Mike tapping out.

Justin's flooded camp site was unfortunate.  Was it just ground water coming up?  That would have deflated my sails if it had happened to me.  I hope we get to see him build a new camp site, if he moves.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:25:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
did i miss it or did they not show any footage of nicole?
View Quote

I have been thinking that she is going to be in for the long haul
must have been doing well because I didnt see anything on her either

still pretty amazed at Mike's hand carved dice
dude has some skills....
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:46:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I was disappointed with Randy tapping out.  I was not surprised by Mike tapping out.

Justin's flooded camp site was unfortunate.  Was it just ground water coming up?  That would have deflated my sails if it had happened to me.  I hope we get to see him build a new camp site, if he moves.
View Quote

That would suck. I've had it happen.

Forgot the ground sheet for my old tent and was camping on soil that was really loamy. Big storm. Was sleeping on what amounted to a sponge. Soaked right through the floor and into the tent. Lucky most of my bag was ok because of the pad.

Next night was still chilly and damp.

I think, using tarp tents, and in that environment, getting a bed off the ground would be a priority about equal with food.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#35]
I was seriously rooting for Mike.  He seemed a bit eccentric, but also seemed like a good guy.  He had it going on.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:12:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I was surprised to see Randy and Mike go now. Mike, I figured, would run into some issues missing his wife, but I didn't think it would come this soon. Both of them did a nice job owning why they left. Mike's wilderness skills were damn impressive. He had the skills and campsite to go a long time.

Right now, I'm liking Jose and Nicole. I think seeing the bears will help Nicole. Having something else big and alive that you can see and focus your mind on might help keep your head on straight.

I think we lose Justin, David, and Larry next. I think Justin's mountain climb is going to take what little he's got left out of him. David's going to get too hungry. I'm not sure what it is about Larry, but I'm not feeling good for him.

Finally, I'm very surprised at least two contestants (Justin and Mary Kate) brought down sleeping bags into a long-term, static camp in a wet environment. Down's advantages are compression and light weight. Those advantages mean nothing here. On the other hand, wet down is useless. A down sleeping bag is a mind-boggling choice in this situation.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I was surprised to see Randy and Mike go now. Mike, I figured, would run into some issues missing his wife, but I didn't think it would come this soon. Both of them did a nice job owning why they left. Mike's wilderness skills were damn impressive. He had the skills and campsite to go a long time.

Right now, I'm liking Jose and Nicole. I think seeing the bears will help Nicole. Having something else big and alive that you can see and focus your mind on might help keep your head on straight.

I think we lose Justin, David, and Larry next. I think Justin's mountain climb is going to take what little he's got left out of him. David's going to get too hungry. I'm not sure what it is about Larry, but I'm not feeling good for him.

Finally, I'm very surprised at least two contestants (Justin and Mary Kate) brought down sleeping bags into a long-term, static camp in a wet environment. Down's advantages are compression and light weight. Those advantages mean nothing here. On the other hand, wet down is useless. A down sleeping bag is a mind-boggling choice in this situation.
View Quote

Yep.

I'm betting that Jose's bag is not "flannel" as he said.(language discrepancy) I'll bet it's wool which would be a perfect choice. Several thin, porous wool blankets sewn into a bag with a waxed canvas shell would be nearly ideal.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Just caught up. I loved seeing the Barbara guy's camp and how well situated he was. It's a shame about him. I also enjoyed Jose's bit, as usual.

But the hippie guy... I thought he'd be the one to pull it off and on one level, I'm sorry to see him go because I enjoy watching the bushcraft elements the show provides, but the editors did the viewers no favors by spending so much of the past few episodes on his existential whining. That indian chant...
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:58:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Mike said on his facebook page that the editors did a good job of making his departuer seem like a surprise to some...

He said his goal was to represent camping & survival skills, and bush crafting as something so awesome and fun that it would motivate many other people into getting off the couch, and get out into nature to try doing these things for themselves.  He believed he had accomplished that goal, and went home to Barbara.

Yeah, I think his OCD / attachment issues may have influenced things as well, but that's life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mike said on his facebook page that the editors did a good job of making his departuer seem like a surprise to some...

He said his goal was to represent camping & survival skills, and bush crafting as something so awesome and fun that it would motivate many other people into getting off the couch, and get out into nature to try doing these things for themselves.  He believed he had accomplished that goal, and went home to Barbara.

Yeah, I think his OCD / attachment issues may have influenced things as well, but that's life.

That sounds like BS to me. The over all deal is to win half a million dollars. What a waste of time. Taking the chance away from someone else. Bad weather on the way and the guy is living in a picknick shelter and washing his hands from a Clorox jug? About as big a waste of a contestant as guy number one cutting logs on the beach that he had no clue what he was even going to do with them. I don't buy any other excuses, Yoko broke up the band.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:22:32 AM EDT
[#40]
Episodes like that make me question if the whole thing is rigged. Those guys didn't seem to be in any dire situation at all. I think that one guy crafted better furnishings than I have right now.

If it is rigged, I hope they get new writers for the show. They're doing a poor job of it so far.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:42:00 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Episodes like that make me question if the whole thing is rigged. Those guys didn't seem to be in any dire situation at all. I think that one guy crafted better furnishings than I have right now.

If it is rigged, I hope they get new writers for the show. They're doing a poor job of it so far.
View Quote

You have to take into account that these guys know it's all going to be seen by millions on television. They are rationalizing their decision for the audience. Nobody wants to be seen as a pussy or an idiot. They can't just say "oh, I don't like it here. I'm leaving." It sounds much better if you say "I have achieved spiritual fulfillment from this experience. There is no more for me to do here."

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just caught up. I loved seeing the Barbara guy's camp and how well situated he was. It's a shame about him. I also enjoyed Jose's bit, as usual.

But the hippie guy... I thought he'd be the one to pull it off and on one level, I'm sorry to see him go because I enjoy watching the bushcraft elements the show provides, but the editors did the viewers no favors by spending so much of the past few episodes on his existential whining. That indian chant...
View Quote

Boulder Ut, is one of those amazing places on this planet that I've been blessed to discover and spend time around.  I knew going in that Randy's skill set in that area wouldn't translate well to the PNW but I hoped he would have done better. Hippies are fragile things.

If Mike didn't have all those past demons he would have had a functioning internet built in a year.  He was fun to watch.  I hope he heals at some point in his life.

There is a humility that spending large amounts of time in the wilderness teaches.  Jose has it.  Larry is just angry enough to tell the whole world (including Vancouver Island) FUCKYOU!  Nicole.....ditto Jose but more fragile.  She will leave due to medical. Dave literally doesn't have any other choices and there is an angry ex wife back home so he might just stay put.  And why in the world is .Mil guy expending calories climbing mountains and not rebuilding?  Symbolism over Substance and it will cost him the game.

I'm wondering now who it is that gets to fight off that wolf?

ETA: I'm remembering that you don't have to live there a year to win.....you just have to outlast everyone else.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's the way I see it playing out too.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 7:53:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Boulder Ut, is one of those amazing places on this planet that I've been blessed to discover and spend time around.  I knew going in that Randy's skill set in that area wouldn't translate well to the PNW but I hoped he would have done better. Hippies are fragile things.

If Mike didn't have all those past demons he would have had a functioning internet built in a year.  He was fun to watch.  I hope he heals at some point in his life.

There is a humility that spending large amounts of time in the wilderness teaches.  Jose has it.  Larry is just angry enough to tell the whole world (including Vancouver Island) FUCKYOU!  Nicole.....ditto Jose but more fragile.  She will leave due to medical. Dave literally doesn't have any other choices and there is an angry ex wife back home so he might just stay put.  And why in the world is .Mil guy expending calories climbing mountains and not rebuilding?  Symbolism over Substance and it will cost him the game.

ETA: I'm remembering that you don't have to live there a year to win.....you just have to outlast everyone else.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My money is on Jose domesticating it and turning it into a pet.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Just throwing this out there, after thinking about the show and the relative airtime given to bushcraft versus emotional content.

1) I would love to see Mike in a Ray Mears-style show.

2) I would love to see Jose produce a Proenneke-style documentary.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View Quote

Good analysis. I hated to see both those guys go, too.

I think next episode, we'll lose David first, then Justin for the above mentioned reasons. But I think Larry somehow sticks it out longer. Something about the way he vents his anger and the introspection that occurs afterwards makes me think it keeps him going.

Jose is a lock.

Mary Kate's bear buddies offer interaction so long as they maintain their distance. Problem is they're getting closer and closer...
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#47]
I think the bullshit Mike said on FB for leaving is trumped by what he said on the show.  I'm going to leave now before I get so scrwed up in the head that Barbara doesn't know the person that has returned or something to that effect.   The solitude was breaking down the fictional character he knows as Mike.  If the fictional "Mike" dies who is going to replace this "Mike".   I don't know this other person inside of me.  Time to go...
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#48]
I think Larry may go longer than expected since he has no desire to go back to work.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is hilarious.  These guys entered a contest to see who could stay the longest out there in the wilderness, one's got a cabin built by day 20, the other's got a freaking boat with outriggers, and they suddenly don't know why they're out there.

The entire episode I was shaking my head wondering where the hell their priorities were.

Never would I thought Mike would tap out so soon.  Even the lady who got lost in Appalachia lasted longer than he did before she gave up.  Dude had an awesome thing going but couldn't hack it because his wife?  He should'a used the kelp.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 9:51:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does nobody on this show have the goal of staying the longest and winning the money?
Page / 28
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top