Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:52:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
None of the poll options fit my opinion on the matter.

Id love to travel the country, and the rest of the world. But its not a huge priority. That doesnt mean I wont take the opportunity when I have the time and money.
View Quote

I'm agree the poll options suck.

I did a lot of travel for many years some of it outside of the US.  You know what, I really like the US (and maybe Canada) and traveling isn't that important to me nor was it when I was doing it.  Now, if you said wgjhsafT do you want to drive to Nashville for something I'd say yes and get in my car and go without too many questions.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't give two shits about traveling anywhere. I don't see how it is a relaxing vacation to run hither & yon, get a colonoscopy by a TSA mouth breather to get on an airplane, and come back jet lagged out.

I can go by the cigar shop to get some sticks, come back home to make a pot of coffee, go sit on the back porch to light up, turn the brain off, watch the sun come up, listen to some radio, light up some more sticks, drift in & out of nap time in the afternoon, watch the sun go down, light another stick, watch the stars come out, go take a shower to crash out, and get up in the morning to repeat.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I like travel and would like to do more.  Not a big priority right now as I have things to focus on with career and relationships.  But one big vacation a year is what I aim for.  This year probably won't be outside of the states, but I'd like to incorporate more and more international.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm 35 and have been to 30 countries.

Trying to see them all. Wife and I go to a different country every year.  Last year was Australia, before that Thailand, this year Caribbean, next year south america.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I would tend to agree

The USA truly is a wonderful country with so much to see

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The best part about world travel is you realize that the USA is truly the greatest place in the world, not other country is as beautiful or diverse.

I would tend to agree

Yes, but until you so what the rest of the world has to offer, you will never truly understand what great things are really out there. It's not even really about what you can "see" in other countries.......isn't the entire experience of being around other people and other cultures, and how they live.  Hard to say you don't want to get out of the US.....when you have never gotten out of the US.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I call your France and Mexico and raise with New Orleans and El Paso.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the rest of the world was so great, our ancestors wouldn't have given up everything to move here.  Fate blessed me with being born here and I am not going to annoy karma by leaving.

There is a big difference in visiting somewhere and living there.  France and Mexico were awesome to visit, but there's no way in hell I'd live in either country.

I call your France and Mexico and raise with New Orleans and El Paso.

I've been to both of those as well.  Go to NOLA almost once a month for work.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I travel a lot for work.  I stay primarily on the east coast, but go to other parts of the world as well.  I LOVE traveling around, seeing new places, meeting new people.  It makes me appreciate what I have now, as well as making me a more rounded person.  Their are so many amazing things to do and see in this world, and thats what makes it exciting.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I got my world traveling thru the military, It was fun and enjoyed it, but like many stated, there is PLENTY to enjoy in the USA. from beaches to mountains to deserts. Hell, ive got alot of exploring to do in my own back yard (recently moved to BFE WVa). Waiting for the spring thaw and hit the trails.
View Quote

You finally did it!

Congratz

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Waste of time.  You could spend a lifetime exploring this country and still not see it all.
View Quote

Sure, why bother seeing engineering/architectural/artistic marvels that were created thousands of years before this country even existed. A real waste of time.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#10]
My retirement plans are to get a small RV and travel the U.S as much as possible. If I get bored with the U.S. then maybe I'll try to see other countries, but I doubt I will live long enough to see that happen.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd love to.  But shit's expensive, yo.  And there's still a LOT of the US that I haven't seen.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:16:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Some people save up money for guns, some people save up money for cars, some people save up money to travel the world……

How important is world travel to you?  I know people who are pretty extreme on each side of the fence.  Being in Midwest…particularly the “Ozarks”, you seem to find a lot of people who have no desire to explore the world, or even the US, or even get outside of the state for that matter.  It’s not uncommon to talk to people here in their 30’s and 40’s that haven’t even seen the ocean, or been in an airplane.  Their definition of world travel is taking a trip to the Walmart in the next county.  

On the other end……I know people who pretty much work for the sole purpose of financing their trips around the world.  Africa, South America, Burma, Australia, New Zealand….they have been everywhere!  Sounds fun, but not my thing…..too much money spent vs. what you get.

I fall somewhat in the middle.  I like going on “vacation” every year or two to places out of the states. I’ve been to Germany, France, Thailand, Italy, Mexico……and although I have a good time checking out new places around the world, I also love checking out all of the amazing places in the good ole USA.  I will say one thing though………traveling the world definitely makes you appreciate how good we have it here in the US.  We take a lot of things for granted here…..we actually have it pretty darn good.

How much world travel do you do?  Do you think it’s important to travel the world and see different places/cultures….or is it a waste of time?
View Quote

If you're in the Ozarks, why would you ever want to travel?  

You've already seen the best the world has to offer.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#13]
If you like hunting elephants you have to travel to do it.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I work overseas, and have spent most of my adult life serving overseas as well.

Oddly, it's America that seems foreign to me now. Not the same country I left at 18.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some people save up money for guns, some people save up money for cars, some people save up money to travel the world……

How important is world travel to you?  I know people who are pretty extreme on each side of the fence.  Being in Midwest…particularly the “Ozarks”, you seem to find a lot of people who have no desire to explore the world, or even the US, or even get outside of the state for that matter.  It’s not uncommon to talk to people here in their 30’s and 40’s that haven’t even seen the ocean, or been in an airplane.  Their definition of world travel is taking a trip to the Walmart in the next county.  

On the other end……I know people who pretty much work for the sole purpose of financing their trips around the world.  Africa, South America, Burma, Australia, New Zealand….they have been everywhere!  Sounds fun, but not my thing…..too much money spent vs. what you get.

I fall somewhat in the middle.  I like going on “vacation” every year or two to places out of the states. I’ve been to Germany, France, Thailand, Italy, Mexico……and although I have a good time checking out new places around the world, I also love checking out all of the amazing places in the good ole USA.  I will say one thing though………traveling the world definitely makes you appreciate how good we have it here in the US.  We take a lot of things for granted here…..we actually have it pretty darn good.

How much world travel do you do?  Do you think it’s important to travel the world and see different places/cultures….or is it a waste of time?

I'm sure the world has much more to offer than crack heads at Walmart, and 5.0 Mustangs sitting on blocks out in front of trailer homes
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been to Europe for work, Mexico and Alaska for fun.

I would like to travel back to Europe for fun some time.  It won't break my heart if I don't, and it likely will only be once more if I do.

I've come to grips with the fact that I will never be able to afford to hunt in Africa, or, that I don't want it enough to afford it and that is disappointing but I'll get over it.

Absolutely zero interest in traveling to Asia, South America, Australia.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I work for the airlines and can fly just about anywhere pretty cheap.  However, after 3-4 days a week at the airport, the last place I want to go is back to the airport.  In fact, if the trip is under 6-700 miles I just drive.

I'd much rather RV around the U.S. and Canada than fly anywhere.   But there are a few places I'd still like to visit.  Normandy and a few other places in Europe.  New Zealand and Australia, and a few Pacific Islands.

I have no desire and never will visit Africa, Asia, Central America, and most of South America.  For some reason I think I could be convinced to visit Chile.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I was in Disney World and half of the people there were from another country. All those people think America is a great place to visit and since I still think this is the greatest country on the face of the earth going someplace else would be a big step down.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have traveled the world extensively.  Its a big and great world.  Sitting at home with the "Merica!" mantra is myopic and Mom's basement mentality.
I was in Disney World and half of the people there were from another country. All those people think America is a great place to visit and since I still think this is the greatest country on the face of the earth going someplace else would be a big step down.  

Your choice of course.  But its interesting that you judge anything and declare it unworthy of your time without having experienced it.

Some people eat nothing but Ramen noodles.  I get it.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'd love to.  But shit's expensive, yo.  And there's still a LOT of the US that I haven't seen.  
View Quote

Yes, the flights can get expesive to get there, but if you look around.....you can find places to go that are cheap, cheap, cheap! compared to the US.

We sent to southern Thailand a few years ago.  You could literally sit down at a table, eat and drink until you were going to pop....and it MIGHT cost you as much as $5.00 US.  

Current exchange rate on $1.00 in Thai Baht is around $0.028 US Dollars.  You could live like a king over there for next to nothing.

And yes, I agree with everyone that flying sucks..........if there is one that that keeps me from traveling more, it's dealing with TSA and all of the headaches of air travel.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:28:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I like to travel, but at my age I have to worry about health and security issues.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yes, the flights can get expesive to get there, but if you look around.....you can find places to go that are cheap, cheap, cheap! compared to the US.

We sent to southern Thailand a few years ago.  You could literally sit down at a table, eat and drink until you were going to pop....and it MIGHT cost you as much as $5.00 US.  

Current exchange rate on $1.00 in Thai Baht is around $0.028 US Dollars.  You could live like a king over there for next to nothing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn the baht has taken a shit lately. I was there a couple years ago and it wasn't that bad.

It's nearly on the level of the Philippine peso. That's 0.021 usd
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:32:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you like hunting elephants you have to travel to do it.
View Quote

Nah, you can hunt them anywhere.  Just depends on how wrapped up you are in actually finding one.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I've done it and while I enjoyed travelling the cost related to the experience really isn't justifiable.  Frankly most places end up being tourist traps and to get a more authentic experience you have to travel outside the big name places.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:32:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I've traveled.   There aren't a whole lot of places I'm likely to go in the future, though.

One thing to consider is that there are a lot of places that were great to go to 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago that are now unsafe, unfun, or otherwise a waste of time.   Also doesn't help that flying sucks enormously.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Been all over the world, most of my travelling was as a 19-35 yr old. Now that I'm in my 50s, I've pretty much got it out of my system - plus I HATE flying now. So I will only be visiting places I can drive to. Next on the list is an Elk hunt in MT.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Traveling isn't for everyone. I've been to Germany, Austria, France and Canada. I enjoyed all of them, but I prefer spending my time in the woods here in the states.

Traveling is a great experience if you have the time and money to do so. I think everyone should do it once but only if you have the resources to do so.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not leaving the continental US.
Not giving up my ability to be armed (protect myself) as relaxation or for entertainment.
I drive on vacation and the dogs go with us, been doing it that way for 20+ years.
View Quote

what does your husband think of this?

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Like the OP I'm from MO but love checking out new places. My wife and I just returned from the South Pacific and it was fantastic. We spent a large sum of cash to go, but it was worth it.
And yes, we have it good in the US.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm headed back to Europe for the 3rd time this summer, I'm almost 29.  I've also been to Mexico, all around Canada, and about 40 states.  While there are more than plenty of great places to visit in the US, you cannot experience another country's culture and people without actually going there.  You're really cheating yourself if you think the US offers everything the rest of the world does.  It definitely does not.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes, but until you so what the rest of the world has to offer, you will never truly understand what great things are really out there. It's not even really about what you can "see" in other countries.......isn't the entire experience of being around other people and other cultures, and how they live.  Hard to say you don't want to get out of the US.....when you have never gotten out of the US.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The best part about world travel is you realize that the USA is truly the greatest place in the world, not other country is as beautiful or diverse.

I would tend to agree

I don't like being around other people and other cultures. Hell, I don't like the other people and other cultures that are here, let alone pay extra to go there to experience it.

I did enjoy Ireland, though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:11:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I absolutely love to travel. I hate people though
I've been to about a dozen countries and territories so far, and within the USA I've covered all but a few states. I'm the type who prefers to strike out on his own instead of going with a tour group. No plan, no nothing, just see what happens and what I come across. I found a weird cemetery in Scotland that way
The most incredible place I've been is Greenland, and I wouldn't hesitate to go back. It's one of the most starkly beautiful places I've ever seen; I'd love to just hike around (ETA: Don't go there expecting hotties like in Iceland )
IMHO, the people who refuse to travel are seriously missing out. I used to think I was perfectly happy staying around home, now I can't imagine not getting out and seeing the world.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been to Africa twice and visited Sweden and Norway.  I plan to visit more places outside the US because i can afford it and enjoy it.  If I couldn't I wouldn't feel deprived.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#33]
I like to travel. Been to quite a few diffeent places Asia,Europe,Mexico,various islands etc. I just assumed most people travel at least to other states,cancun basic easy places to get to but apparently not. Talking to some of my co workers most have never left the state much less over seas anywhere. Kinna surprising there is a whole world out there why not check it out.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

And yes, I agree with everyone that flying sucks..........if there is one that that keeps me from traveling more, it's dealing with TSA and all of the headaches of air travel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The flights (and the cost involved) are the hurdle I can't seem to get over.

Were money not an issue, I'd love nothing more than pack up a 4x4 and do a Long Way Round-style trip.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a U.S. Passport.

Most people don't have one of those!
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The best part of world travel is you realize the above statement is an example ofmisplaced ethno-geo centrism.

Diversity is not a measure of greatness.
Beauty is a relative measure based upon one's
perception. There many parts of this country for which
"beautiful" would not be an appropriate adjective.

We shall disagree that America trumps all based upon
the poster's criteria.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The best part of world travel is you realize the above statement is an example ofmisplaced ethno-geo centrism.

Diversity is not a measure of greatness.
Beauty is a relative measure based upon one's
perception. There many parts of this country for which
"beautiful" would not be an appropriate adjective.

We shall disagree that America trumps all based upon
the poster's criteria.

If the gun laws were a little better, I'd probably emigrate to New Zealand and never look back. As it is, I still day dream about it from time to time.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Love it. Can't wait until my kids are older so we can start traveling again. South America is next. Child Argentina and Peru are places I'd like to see. Then I'd like to see parts of Eastern Europe and Russia. Then Africa at some point.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

ar-jedi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not leaving the continental US.
Not giving up my ability to be armed (protect myself) as relaxation or for entertainment.
I drive on vacation and the dogs go with us, been doing it that way for 20+ years.

ar-jedi

My wife is completely supportive; we've been married for 25 years, only taking dogs too for about 20.
Not sure what about my username or post would lead anyone to think I'm female.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Experiencing other counties cultures and customs is an eye opener. Those who have traveled abroad will attest that, once they have seen firsthand what life is really like in many other countries, there truly is no place like home in the USA. I've been to more different countries than I can remember offhand without pulling out my journal, every one I have taken away some new experiences, it has given me a much broader understanding of many topics from world politics, economy, food, language, etc. I encourage everyone who has the means to go see the world, it will make you a better person.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#40]
I've been to Europe a couple of times.  It was neat to be able to go, but I don't care to go back. We have it too good here in the the USA.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I care more about the journey than the destination.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”
-Mark Twain
View Quote

Came here to say that nothing else broadens your mind like travel, then read this.

Been traveling internationally for decades. Europe, Asia, Africa, South America, the Caribbean, the south and west Pacific, and I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Waste of time.  You could spend a lifetime exploring this country and still not see it all.
View Quote

That's my feeling. A lot of cool place here...even in Wisconsin
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Have virtually ZERO interest.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#46]
I travel to and feom the US to Eesti twice a year and usually visit 6-8 countries per but that's like saying you've been in 8 states per year. There are still 21 US states I've never been to though and I've never been below Croatia or to Portugal in Europe.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#47]
I saw a lot of Europe and Asia in the military.  I thought I was done leaving CONUS until the female unit begged to go to England.  It ended up being a good trip.  What is wrong with you Brits, bangers and mash for breakfast?  I've been to 35 of the 50 states so far, but want to see them all.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:33:12 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Your choice of course.  But its interesting that you judge anything and declare it unworthy of your time without having experienced it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have traveled the world extensively.  Its a big and great world.  Sitting at home with the "Merica!" mantra is myopic and Mom's basement mentality.

You judged people as myself as basement dwellers..so who judges who.  

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm currently saving all of my pennies to buy a van, convert it into a sleeper, and then point that sumbitch south until I hit Patagonia. Ride it out there for 6-12 months, then head back, make some money, and head off on another adventure.

I read a quote recently that went something like:
"The world is like a book, and those that never travel read but a page."

I'm not interested in reading just a page.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top