Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 39
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There was a story a few years back of a cop who hit a killed a kid (cop was on a motorcycle, I think).  It was (obviously) a complete accident.

Dad showed up and attacked the cop, the cop ended up shooting and killing him.

Tragic story, nobody went home a winner there.

edit: The little girl was not killed, she was fucked up pretty bad, but lived.
View Quote

There was one I recall reading about a few years back where the cops got into an argument with an armed property owner who was upset over something regarding what they were doing, I don't remember what it was anymore.  Cops said they felt threatened, opened fire, missed a lot.  The man apparently unslung his gun and returned fire, but was eventually killed.  The article said something about suspensions, don't know what ever happened with that.  It was somewhere in the back pages of the paper.  The whole thing sounded like a shit sandwich.  I know I've heard of similar cases on occasion.  It would be a real nightmare to have the cops open up on you when you had no intent to threaten or harm and have no choice but to shoot back if you want a chance to live; same if you think you're responding to a home invasion but it's actually the cops.  Doesn't always end well, even if the victim "wins," or at least survives.

It'll be interesting to see what was the case here.  I'm siding with those who say there was some sort of argument.  If he was someone they knew about I doubt they would have just opened up on him.  Whether or not the situation justified the shooting is another question.  Not much information to go by, it seems.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:36:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm willing to bet you brush your tooth every day.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm willing to bet that the old man showed up with his rifle to put down the bull, the deputies went derp, and the old man wound up dead.

I'm willing to bet you brush your tooth every day.

. Ouch.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:37:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Much, much too early to come to any sort of conclusion.

Sad all the way around, though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The area where the bull was hit is open range, Zollman said, and darkness had fallen by the time the Subaru crashed into the black bull in the roadway.

WTF this makes no sense. On a public road. What more bs to the story?
View Quote
Open range=no fences, if you don't no what you're doing, you really shouldn't be speeding around out there.  Or at least do it in a pick-up with a cow catcher...

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:38:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

More like rancher thought he had to put the bull down. Realized it would survive. Pointed rifle at cops when they said they were going to shoot it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm willing to bet that the old man showed up with his rifle to put down the bull, the deputies went derp, and the old man wound up dead.

More like rancher thought he had to put the bull down. Realized it would survive. Pointed rifle at cops when they said they were going to shoot it.

If someone is going to destroy your live property without justification, I wonder what the law in Idaho is regarding defending it with force.  Likewise in cases involving LEOs, as many States now seem to give them a special status in such cases (my State is an example; unless you are about to be murdered, any use of force in otherwise legitimate self-defence is unlawful).  I know that under the common law LEOs were not treated differently when doing something unlawful that could justify the use of force in return, such as entering a home without a warrant or a false arrest.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If I recall correctly, Bama carries a suppressed .22 in his cruiser.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
had almost the exact same thing happen to me years ago....

cow got hit by small car, occupants all fubar, cow with broken leg...farmer showed up with rifle saying HE was going to put it down, cars and bystanders around all over the place...i told him no
i would put it down if thats what he wanted...a .22 in the ear was much safer than him racking a 30-06 off and god knows where the ricochet would go

he got all pissed and butthurt started mouthing off etc etc....told him to get back in his truck and he could haul the cow off after i was done

oh and in for the potential of this thread

Since when did cops start carrying 22lr?

If I recall correctly, Bama carries a suppressed .22 in his cruiser.

I do, too. We put down a lot of animals in my AO.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:45:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Open range=no fences, if you don't no what you're doing, you really shouldn't be speeding around out there.  Or at least do it in a pick-up with a cow catcher...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The area where the bull was hit is open range, Zollman said, and darkness had fallen by the time the Subaru crashed into the black bull in the roadway.

They are named that but they will not save you.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:50:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand open range but on public highways  again. At night how would you see cows?
Seems ranchers would leave themselves open for liabilities.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:50:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't bring a Subaru to a bull fight.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Am I the only one wondering if the Bull is OK??

View Quote

Hes dead Jim.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No doubt, but I'd rather hit livestock with a 1-ton pick-up and a cow catcher, than do it in a lesbian limousine.  In fact last Monday night I was between Cle Elum and Cashmere Wa., driving an F-350 towing a 24ft trailer, and almost took out a bull elk.  But I'm familiar with that stretch of road, and know to look out for them.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Orrrrr he showed up to put the bull down, the cops saw a rifle and shot him. If that's the case we may never hear about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Old man shows up, gets pissed that the cops want to shoot his cow?

Sounds like a cluster.

Orrrrr he showed up to put the bull down, the cops saw a rifle and shot him. If that's the case we may never hear about it.

Except there are presumably multiple witnesses if the article is correct, and the cops were aware he was coming since they (dispatch) called him, and one of the officers was supposedly hit as well.  Everything points to an altercation....just like the article states.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:00:04 PM EDT
[#15]
That's just a shit deal

Not trying to make any puns either, a bull is worth a lot of money... but not worth your life.  What the fuck really went down?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't think it's much more complicated than that. Well, other than the fact it was a bull but I still find myself in agreement with your assessment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a cluster.

I don't think it's much more complicated than that. Well, other than the fact it was a bull but I still find myself in agreement with your assessment.

There's a lot of money tied up in those animals. If the bull was viable but the cops want to shoot it because it was agressive I can see a cluster fuck occurring.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:08:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a cluster.

Or maybe it was aliens. That's it, aliens. They shot the old man, grazed the cop and killed the bull. We probably won't hear about it though...
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:15:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Or maybe it was aliens. That's it, aliens. They shot the old man, grazed the cop and killed the bull. We probably won't hear about it though...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a cluster.

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There's a lot of money tied up in those animals. If the bull was viable but the cops want to shoot it because it was agressive I can see a cluster fuck occurring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a cluster.

yep, the rancher showed up with his fudd rifle and LE did mag dumps
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:17:45 PM EDT
[#21]
As someone who drives through that area regularly in a Subaru station wagon, I will continue to be someone who drive through there regularly.  

One of the more heavier patrolled areas yet it has a very low population density.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#22]
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article42229305.html

When deputies went to kill the animal, the bull’s owner, Jack Yantis, 62, of Council, arrived at the scene, carrying a rifle. During an ensuing incident, Yantis and both deputies fired their weapons, reports ISP, which is heading the investigation.

View Quote

The rancher’s wife, Donna Yantis, reportedly suffered a heart attack immediately after the incident. She was taken to Saint Alphonsus Regional Medical Center in Boise, where a hospital spokesman said she was in critical condition Monday afternoon.

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:19:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Wait, so they have moved on from shooting dogs to shooting farm animals?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:21:55 PM EDT
[#24]

al·ter·ca·tion.

[?ôlt?r'kaSH(?)n]

NOUN

a noisy argument or disagreement, especially in public:
"I had an altercation with the conductor"

synonyms: argument · quarrel · squabble · fight · shouting match ·
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

al·ter·ca·tion.

[?ôlt?r'kaSH(?)n]

NOUN

a noisy argument or disagreement, especially in public:
"I had an altercation with the conductor"

synonyms: argument · quarrel · squabble · fight · shouting match ·
View Quote

Shooting match...................................................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Cops today....lol.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:25:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Cops today....lol.
View Quote

Oh so you know what happened?  By all means.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:27:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Why u need facts brah?  It's obvious the evil JBTs set up the crash so they could kill the bull AND the owner in one fell swoop.

I bet the deputies had cargo pockets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Needs a lot more details about this altercation.

Why u need facts brah?  It's obvious the evil JBTs set up the crash so they could kill the bull AND the owner in one fell swoop.

I bet the deputies had cargo pockets.

Shot with a 1033 weapon too I bet.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I understand open range but on public highways  again. At night how would you see cows?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Open range" literally means that drivers are responsible if they hit an animal in the road.  If you're driving at night and hit a cow in the middle of the highway, then you not only have a wrecked car, but you also get to buy a very expensive cow.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:31:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Story seems suspicious.

ETA:  Behind the ear is not how you shoot cattle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

cow got hit by small car, occupants all fubar, cow with broken leg...farmer showed up with rifle saying HE was going to put it down, cars and bystanders around all over the place...i told him no
i would put it down if thats what he wanted...a .22 in the ear was much safer than him racking a 30-06 off and god knows where the ricochet would go

he got all pissed and butthurt started mouthing off etc etc....told him to get back in his truck and he could haul the cow off after i was done

Story seems suspicious.

ETA:  Behind the ear is not how you shoot cattle.

Nope. Eye to opposite horn and again from the other side. X marks the spot...a .22 does wonders right there from point blank.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:34:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cops today....lol.

Do you? Bunch of question marks at this point.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:44:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Wait, so they have moved on from shooting dogs to shooting farm animals?
View Quote
And ranchers

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#33]
From Wikipedia:
On roads in Idaho, an open-range state, livestock have the right of way: if an animal is hit and killed by a vehicle, the driver is liable for the price of the animal and for the repair for the damage to the vehicle.[1] Idaho counties can and have created herd districts, which require livestock owners to "build and maintain adequate fences to keep their animals off roads and neighboring properties"; in herd districts, the livestock owner is liable.[1]
View Quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_range
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's Idaho. Every body has a rifle every where.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:47:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cops today....lol.

I know that the deputies failed to control the situation.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:48:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cops today....lol.

How so, what happened?
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:56:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're getting hung up n the highway part. We're not talking major 8 lane road here. 95 is a 2 lane road. Look up Council, ID on Google maps and then go to street view on 95 just north of the town. That will give you a better understanding of the area.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:56:14 PM EDT
[#38]
What's the difference between a bull dyke and a bull?

One's splattered all over the inside of the Subaru, the other is all over the outside

Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:57:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ah, here we go. That didn't take long. Everybody just make shit up for the rest of the thread.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Needs a lot more details about this altercation.
View Quote

Yeah.
Link Posted: 11/2/2015 11:59:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:00:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

How so, what happened?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cops today....lol.
de

How so, what happened?

It would seem the rancher with the fudd rifle is dead, he didnt get run over, the bull didnt gore him, reports say the cops shot and killed the rancher in a dispute and his bull is dead plus his old lady is in critical condition having a heart attack after learning her husband was shot to death by sheriff deputies  
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Talk about WTF.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:01:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Throw down gun, DUH!
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:04:04 AM EDT
[#45]

How so, what happened?
View All Quotes

How so, what happened?

My theory :

Subaru hits bull. Someone calls cops.

Dispatch calls rancher.

Deputies show up and instead of immediately getting rid of the threat they start fucking with the occupants of the Subaru.

Bull is out of control.

Rancher shows up with rifle, dispatch should have informed the deputies right.

Instead of letting the rancher take care of the bull they pull the TBL card and refuse permission. Argument starts.

I  would have told him just don't shoot me or anyone else. It is your bull you take care of it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:06:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It would seem the rancher with the fudd rifle is dead, he didnt get run over, the bull didnt gore him, reports say the cops shot and killed the rancher in a dispute and his bull is dead plus his old lady is in critical condition having a heart attack after learning her husband was shot to death by sheriff deputies  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so, what happened?

Another win for the blue line.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:06:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
My theory :

Subaru hits bull. Someone calls cops.   Dispatch calls rancher.
Deputies show up and instead of immediately getting rid of the threat they start fucking with the occupants of the Subaru.
Bull is out of control.
Instead of letting the rancher take care of the bull they pull the TBL card and refuse permission. Argument starts.

I  would have told him just don't shoot me or anyone else. It is your bull you take care of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

How so, what happened?
My theory :

Subaru hits bull. Someone calls cops.   Dispatch calls rancher.
Bull is out of control.

Oh I thought by your previous statement you knew what happened, not a theory.  My bad.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:08:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It says there was an altercation which kinda rules out that if by that you're saying he showed up with a gun and the deputies thought he was there for nefarious purposes and just shot him.  Sounds like there was an argument.  Who knows.  We need more facts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It says there was an altercation which kinda rules out that if by that you're saying he showed up with a gun and the deputies thought he was there for nefarious purposes and just shot him.  Sounds like there was an argument.  Who knows.  We need more facts.

There was going to be an "altercation" after he was shot dead, regardless of what actually happened.

Still need facts, not saying an altercation didn't happen, just who knows at this point.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so, what happened?

Still waiting on your insight into this incident.
Link Posted: 11/3/2015 12:10:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

There was going to be an "altercation" after he was shot dead, regardless of what actually happened.

Still need facts, not saying an altercation didn't happen, just who knows at this point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What does that mean?
Page / 39
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top