Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:49:30 AM EDT
[#1]
When I was a kid my best older friend who was a retired fighter pilot gave me his flight jacket with major insignia on it. I wore that everywhere including onto base for years.

Those mps sure straighten up when a major rolls up.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#2]
No problem by me.  That civilian paid for mine, I am good with him getting one also.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Those covers always seemed like fobbit pogue-wear to me.  

I never wore mine.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:06:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I served in the army, but i occasionally where a marine corps hat.

Why? because marpat is best pat.  I think marpat is fucking cool.  

I am quick to point out that I was never in the usmc, if anyone asks.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I was a kid my best older friend who was a retired fighter pilot gave me his flight jacket with major insignia on it. I wore that everywhere including onto base for years.

View Quote

I was on a mission trip last week on Quantico base. One of the guys at my church came to run audio/video stuff, and I knew he was in the airforce. What I didn't know is that him being a colonel is apparently a big deal. The guards at the base (I think most were MPs) would snap to attention everytime they saw his ID.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I was on a mission trip last week on Quantico base. One of the guys at my church came to run audio/video stuff, and I knew he was in the airforce. What I didn't know is that him being a colonel is apparently a big deal. The guards at the base (I think most were MPs) would snap to attention everytime they saw his ID.
View Quote

They do the same with a 2ndLt. Discipline is a funny thing.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 4:38:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh, my GD dun growed up...I'ma miss you!

Seriously, I remember when there would have been raging!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I won't wear an insignia that I haven't earned.  However, as long as they aren't passing themselves off as something they're not or benefitting from it financially, I don't give a shit what other people wear.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#9]
As a prior Marine, that doesn't bother me at all. Now if they go around making shit up and claiming something they are not, then that is a different story.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#10]
No that's mine!!!

Kidding, I don't give a fuck
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#11]
The recruiter gave me stuff with the EGA on it before I decided to join.

As long as he's not going on about being a Delta Force Para SEAL Recon Ranger Jumper Beret, I don't care.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#12]
So what, he wears it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:47:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As long as they are honest about not serving I am fine with it.
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#14]
It's the same thing as if someone wears a NFL jersey.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:53:11 PM EDT
[#15]
A kid who lived near me in Alexandria had cancer, he wanted a Marine boonie cap.  I got him one from the PX, no big deal.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#16]
It looks dumb, but who cares.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#17]
There's an EGA on my Danner RATs, and IDGAF.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
WGAF?

He paid for it.

marines are probably happy for the free advertising.
View Quote

FPNI

As long as he isn't wearing a whole uniform and claiming to be something he isn't....it's just a hat.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Having never served, I'd feel kinda silly wearing uniform items that I'd bought for myself.  If I could legitimately claim sentimental value based on it having been given to me by a relative or friend or that I'd traded my panties for it in the O'Club parking lot, that'd be one thing, wearing a purchased item seems just a little poseur-ish.

That said, I have an plain OD boonie hat that I bought to wear fishing.  I always feel like a phony wearing it, but I love the thing.
View Quote

Do push ups you fucking boot!

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:24:28 PM EDT
[#20]
So I can wear my pickelhauben?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:26:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So I can wear my pickelhauben?
View Quote

Only if you also wear a monocle and a fancy pointy moustache.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Having never served, I'd feel kinda silly wearing uniform items that I'd bought for myself.  If I could legitimately claim sentimental value based on it having been given to me by a relative or friend or that I'd traded my panties for it in the O'Club parking lot, that'd be one thing, wearing a purchased item seems just a little poseur-ish.

That said, I have an plain OD boonie hat that I bought to wear fishing.  I always feel like a phony wearing it, but I love the thing.

Then I'd just feel like an arm weary phony.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I wouldn't dare wear a symbol I didn't earn. But I'm not going to call someone out on them doing it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:45:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't mind one bit.  Most of the people that really enjoy wearing those and are not poseurs probably have a true sense of patriotism and at one time supported us while deployed.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:50:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wear an Eagles hat.  Doesn't mean I'm trying to convince people I'm on the scout team

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Ewwwww.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I have some OD green/black subdued velcro patches of the 94th. One is on a bright red backpack while the other is on a chest rig. Very occasionally I'll wear one on a hat (for example at CW5 as a clue to my screen identity). None are ever worn anywhere remotely close to anything remotely official looking manner.

In the back of my mind I'm waiting for some jackwaggon to accuse me of trying to steal valor/pose/play dress up.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A kid who lived near me in Alexandria had cancer, he wanted a Marine boonie cap.  I got him one from the PX, no big deal.
View Quote

No that IS a big deal, but for another reason.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:55:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

WGAF?

He paid for it.

marines are probably happy for the free advertising.
View Quote
that

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Meh

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:57:54 PM EDT
[#30]
It's douchey, but whatever.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#31]

not pretending to be a Marine? no fucks given.

in fact, generally, anybody wearing cammies gets no fucks either. nope not one.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:02:09 PM EDT
[#32]

The more disturbing issue is that anyone would pose as a Marine.

Fucking gross.

They're stupid.  They fuck ugly women.  They fuck really anything they can hold down.  They can't read.  They smell bad.  They're ugly.  

I could go on, but really...it's almost as sad as pretending you were in the Air Force.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:06:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Don't care given he is not claiming anything unearned.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:10:49 PM EDT
[#34]
No fucks given if the person isn't misrepresenting themselves.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:11:05 PM EDT
[#35]
When asked about my IDF(Israeli Defense Forces) t-shirt, I tell people it's like my Motörhead shirt; I wasn't in the band but I'm a big fan of their work!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#36]
I wear a hat with the EGA on it....I wear it with pride because my son gave it to me when he graduated from boot. He handed it to me right before I met his SDI, and I had it in hand  instead of on my head and his SDI asked me why I wasn't wearing it..I told him I hadn't earned it..he said, yes you did, you too are part of the Marine family now because of your son... so I wore it.. ..I also bought a EGA hat while there that had an EGA and says Marine DAD on it..which I do wear regularly... and Proudly......
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:16:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

You should have slapped that poser in the face. Just cause he has the cancer ain't no excuse for stealin' muh valors.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
as long as he's not trying to pass off some shit he's never done who cares - they're pretty damn decent boonies
View Quote

This. The Marines I know that freak out about this shit have no lives and nothing better to do.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:20:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Maybe he's just a proud taxpayer who wants to show off the military he paid for.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:24:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I wear an Eagles hat.  Doesn't mean I'm trying to convince people I'm on the scout team

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

That is a really good analogy!

..if you are wearing the hat with a Superbowl ring (Aka military medal), then the line has been crossed.

But, clothes? Only people that can't mentally separate from their service would bat an eye.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:25:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I lol'd  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:29:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Does all this mean i have to take sandpaper to this,it was given to me by a buddy who is a Marine but I'm not?

" />
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:43:32 PM EDT
[#43]
when I got out of the Marine Corps I gave a lot of my BDU's to my little cousin, ( he wanted to serve Really Bad, but when  the Recruiters told he could not, because of his asthma, he actually teared up and broke down and cried)

he was so happy when I gave him some of my old Gear...!!!

at first, he put his head down and said he couldn't accept them, because he did not earn it....  and I told him, that I Gave enough blood, sweat and tears, to the Core for my whole Family to wear that EGA with Honor...

I also told him if anybody ever gave him grief over it... for him to just say he is part of the Marine Corps Family, 6 Marine Corps, and 2 Navy Corpsman, 1 Air Force "Fly boy"... 3 Army Soldiers... All Cousins...  

we come from a family of 11 brothers/sisters and each of them have 4-5 kids...   52 cousins all in all....

I don't have a problem with someone wearing an EGA or the sort...

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:45:20 PM EDT
[#44]
misread the question and voted no.

never served in the marines, but a friend who did knew i wanted a new knife to carry around with me, gave me a nice folding pocket knife with a built in wire cutter and the marine insignia on it. i certainly never thought twice about carrying it with me. anyone that asked always got the same answer. a friend gave it to me. and we left it at that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:10:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This. The Marines I know that freak out about this shit have no lives and nothing better to do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
as long as he's not trying to pass off some shit he's never done who cares - they're pretty damn decent boonies

best I could probably muster is to start a conversation.... either I find out you just like the cover or that your kid or someone gave it to you and we BS about them for a bit...

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:16:21 AM EDT
[#46]
Still not as silly as this.

Still, no fucks given.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Still not as silly as this.
http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b538/Bmill113/20150602_122815_zps0wxxwsvk.jpg

Still, no fucks given.
View Quote

lol

Wow.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Possibly the worst, current, photoshop considering the technology we have now.

On the "b" side, that is pretty funny shit
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Do you wears sports memorabilia. Do you play for that team. I see it as supporting your team.
As long as you don't claim to be one who cares.

Yes I have a Bonnie hat with the EGA on it, because it drives my son bat shit crazy, because he's in the Navy.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Do you wears sports memorabilia. Do you play for that team. I see it as supporting your team.
As long as you don't claim to be one who cares.

Yes I have a Bonnie hat with the EGA on it, because it drives my son bat shit crazy, because he's in the Navy.
View Quote

Drives him crazy because you woun't acknowledge his orders?  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top