Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:38:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Not Earned, Not Worn....at least without visible disclaimers like "Father of...", or "I support..."

Stolen Valor is becoming a very big issue and a problem that affects true vets and AD personnel, especially now that Americans are no longer spitting on Vets like they did when I first went in. Is this person going to tell someone who walks up to him to thank him for his service that he never served?  Is he going to turn away the free drink that arrives anonymously at his table when the waitress says someone wanted to thank you. For the first time since WWII and Korea, Americans are truly thankful for servicemembers and vets. There are too many trying to cash in who have not earned that respect.

It DOES happen...frequently. Would many of you say the same thing about not caring if someone was wearing Tridents (SEALS), or an SF Flash, or Ranger Tabs, just because they can be purchased anywhere?

Nope... Not Earned...NOT WORN!  My $0.02
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:40:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Wear whatever the fuck you want to wear. Just to try to pass yourself off as something your not.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I gave my dad all my boonie hats that look exactly like that one. He never served and he loves them.

It's not like he's telling people that he wore them in 'nam or anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A guy I work with wears one of these with an embroidered EGA and pin of an M107 on the side. He has never served and doesn't claim to have, but he still wears it every day and supposedly enjoys it when people ask about it (heard this from another coworker).

In your opinion, is it ok for a civilian to have an EGA or any other symbols/insigia on their clothing that they have not earned?

I haven't served and I'm not about to go bring it up to the guy, but I would never wear something like that if I wasn't a marine. It just wouldn't feel right.

http://www.armysurplusworld.com/custom/photos/desertdigitalbooniehat.jpg

I gave my dad all my boonie hats that look exactly like that one. He never served and he loves them.

It's not like he's telling people that he wore them in 'nam or anything.

Did the exact same thing. He would wear it whenever he went fly fishing. If anyone saw him with it he would just beam proudly about his (now-nasty-unwashed-civilian) son.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A guy I work with wears one of these with an embroidered EGA and pin of an M107 on the side. He has never served and doesn't claim to have, but he still wears it every day and supposedly enjoys it when people ask about it (heard this from another coworker).
View Quote

What does he say when asked about it?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Patches and the like are just a way to show support as long as you make no claims you didn't earn. They can also help tell the story of family and friends to others. I have a collection of unit patches from family who served and proud of them. They remind me of their service and sacrifice. I started collecting them when I was about 8 years old. My children and now grandchildren enjoy looking at them and listening to some of the stories of those who are no longer with us. Wear on, friend.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:53:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a few Navy SEALS t-shirts that I like to wear, I served in the Navy, tho I was not a SEAL. Once in a while someone will ask if I was or are a SEAL, I just tell them I was in the Navy but not a SEAL, I wear the shirt to show my support!
I see nothing wrong with anyone wearing military surplus or patches, pins etc. As long as they are not making false claims of service.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends on the context I guess, is he a supporter or a poser would be the determining factor.  I'm a retired Marine and my youngest son is currently serving in the Corps, so the posers get under my skin.  I love those who support their family members who serve,  my family falls into that category and wears Marine Corps swag, even my son-in-law has a Marine bumper sticker on his truck.  I just want to know who took all my utility covers.

Old Marine
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Having never served, I'd feel kinda silly wearing uniform items that I'd bought for myself.  If I could legitimately claim sentimental value based on it having been given to me by a relative or friend or that I'd traded my panties for it in the O'Club parking lot, that'd be one thing, wearing a purchased item seems just a little poseur-ish.

That said, I have an plain OD boonie hat that I bought to wear fishing.  I always feel like a phony wearing it, but I love the thing.
View Quote

Nothing phony about wearing a boonie hat having served or not. I still wear the field jacket I was issued way back in the early 80's. It's rugged and utility so why not? I also wear a boonie hat to keep the sun off my neck when I mow the lawn. Wear what you like and find useful. Enjoy life and let the detectors suck lemmons. They are so full of themselves no one cares what they think.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Depends on the context I guess, is he a supporter or a poser would be the determining factor.....

Old Marine
View Quote

But how do you tell. Most won't go up to someone to ask...they just assume, and that is what the posers count on.

As I stated in an earlier post...I have no problem with stickers, buttons, T-shirts or whatever that clearly delineate that they are SUPPORTERS of whatever...but to wear ribbons, insignia, and other things that are clearly made for those who have served and earned is a different story.

I support my local police department...strongly!  But....does that mean it's OK to wear a windbreaker with POLICE on the back?  What's makes it OK to wear Identifiable Military insigia gear but clearly not for other types of organizations?

Not trying to be argumentative, but as a former Army Officer and Aviator, with a wife who is an active duty LT COL in the USAF, both of us who have served in Islamastan, we are pretty sensitive to the posers stealing valor, and we see them all the time.

Cheers
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Insignia and patches, If you never served then it doesn't matter. Hopefully one would wear it with the same pride as a service member would.

Prior service people tend to only wear what they had once worn or earned. I do not think I have seem Army folks wearing Marine Corp or Navy, AF stuff. Not unless they were once attached to and/or authorized to wear it.

Gear wise it doesn't matter eitherway it is just gear.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

But how do you tell. Most won't go up to someone to ask...they just assume, and that is what the posers count on.

As I stated in an earlier post...I have no problem with stickers, buttons, T-shirts or whatever that clearly delineate that they are SUPPORTERS of whatever...but to wear ribbons, insignia, and other things that are clearly made for those who have served and earned is a different story.

I support my local police department...strongly!  But....does that mean it's OK to wear a windbreaker with POLICE on the back?  What's makes it OK to wear Identifiable Military insigia gear but clearly not for other types of organizations?

Not trying to be argumentative, but as a former Army Officer and Aviator, with a wife who is an active duty LT COL in the USAF, both of us who have served in Islamastan, we are pretty sensitive to the posers stealing valor, and we see them all the time.

Cheers
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Depends on the context I guess, is he a supporter or a poser would be the determining factor.....

Old Marine

Cheers

Why the hell would anyone assume that someone in a boonie hat is a vet? How silly.

"Look at that poser piece of shit with a hi and tight haircut, he's stealing muh valors!!!!!"
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why the hell would anyone assume that someone in a boonie hat is a vet? How silly.

"Look at that poser piece of shit with a hi and tight haircut, he's stealing muh valors!!!!!"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Old Marine

Cheers

If he has a canteen... I'm taking off my Mechanix gloves for the hurt
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#13]
If given to them by a family member or friend, then yes, otherwise no. However, I do not feel it is worth getting into a confrontation over unless they are using it for fraudulent purposes.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 4:07:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't care.  

View Quote

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top