Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#1]
In 2004 I had the shits for about 18 months. I had all manner of uncomfortable medical tests performed to determine the source of my misery, but they couldn't come up with anything. Finally one day I broke out in massive hives all over my body and went to an allergist. He determined that, among other things, I was having a reaction to wheat and gluten. I'd never had any problems with either of those things ever before. I switched to a gluten free diet and felt 100% better within days. Coincidence?

I agree with you that it's hilarious and annoying that we're now being assaulted with new wonder foods like gluten free bananas and gluten free table salt, but I remember back when the only gluten free food I could find was a rock hard loaf of tastless bread that costed $8. I don't eat very much of the gluten free stuff, because most of it is just junk food, but it's nice to know it's there.

I'm not going to try to sell anyone on the notion that GMO's are to blame for the increase in gluten intolerance and food allergies, but given that the increase in those two things coincided with the rise of GMO foods, don't you think that maybe it's at least worth considering that there may be a link?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm allergic to alot of stuff, but thankfully gluten is not one of them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:04:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In 2004 I had the shits for about 18 months. I had all manner of uncomfortable medical tests performed to determine the source of my misery, but they couldn't come up with anything. Finally one day I broke out in massive hives all over my body and went to an allergist. He determined that, among other things, I was having a reaction to wheat and gluten. I'd never had any problems with either of those things ever before. I switched to a gluten free diet and felt 100% better within days. Coincidence?

I agree with you that it's hilarious and annoying that we're now being assaulted with new wonder foods like gluten free bananas and gluten free table salt, but I remember back when the only gluten free food I could find was a rock hard loaf of tastless bread that costed $8. I don't eat very much of the gluten free stuff, because most of it is just junk food, but it's nice to know it's there.

I'm not going to try to sell anyone on the notion that GMO's are to blame for the increase in gluten intolerance and food allergies, but given that the increase in those two things coincided with the rise of GMO foods, don't you think that maybe it's at least worth considering that there may be a link?
View Quote

Corolation does not equal causation.

Did you know that there is a strong corollary link between ice cream sales and rape?  There is, every time ice cream sales go up so does rape.  Does ice cream cause rape?  Or could there be a third factor that effects both?  Like, say, summer and high heat?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]
So.....which one should I use on my popcorn?

Salt Himalayan Pink Gourmet FDA No Chemicals Non-gmo Organic Halall Kosher 2 Lbs Fine Grind (.5mm) (2 Pounds)

-or-

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Did you know that there is a strong corollary link between ice cream sales and rape?  There is, every time ice cream sales go up so does rape.  Does ice cream cause rape?  Or could there be a third factor that effects both?  Like, say, summer and high heat?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, you're probably right, it was probably just a huge coincidence, that makes a lot more sense. I'm going to go eat bread again, and when I get the shits I'll just shrug and think about rape and ice cream. Thanks, professor.

ETA Whoops, I thought you were referring to the correlation between not eating gluten and feeling better. You were clearly talking about the correlation between the rise in GMO foods and the rise in food allergies and gluten intolerance. My mistake.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the ice cream a jello pudding pop?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#7]
My home cigar shop currently has on its signboard the following:

NO-CALORIE

&

GLUTEN-FREE CIGARS
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a friend who has a  severe non Celiac gluten intolerance  she can not even breath the air in a house when baking anything with gluten in it.  She reacts so fast that she has torn seams on cloths from acute  edema.   In 20 minutes she swells up like violet  from willy wonka.  I didn't believe her when I first met her.  Then she kissed her husband who had drank a beer 20 minutes before.  Was astonished at the speed and severity.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

For people like my wife (Celiac), the idiots are welcome. If it wasn't for them driving the market to produce more gluten free products, those with Celiac would have far fewer options.

Also, I do believe that I heard that actual cases of Celiac are sort of on the rise; they're better diagnosed these days.
View Quote
Because you believe it or feel it, don't make it so.  

Have some more gluten free water and gluten free air.  Maybe you can find the sugar free, fat free special, hormone free stuff at the hipster health food store.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Wheat makes me poop like 5-6 times a day if i eat a normal amount. My wife makes me gluten free pasta, and overall i try to eat low wheat. Gluten free labels make that easier.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just a glance through the first page.

19/50 of respondents either have a gluten intolerance or are close to somewhat who does. I didnt count the number of people who were afflicted (ie: the guy with 4 celiac kids were counted as 1)

Of course there is some slection bias as people who are "intolerant" are more likely to click on the thread.

But 38 fucking percent?

Marketing is a powerful beast. Enjoy your almond flour
View Quote

No, about 280 people have viewed the thread.18 of those claim gluten intolerance.  Who knows how many others saw the title(and didn't click)  and knew all the haters would show up claiming people don't know what they're talking about (are stupid) let alone can they properly evaluate any reaction to certain foods no matter how repeatable.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Seriously OP, what food has been ruined for you or is no longer available because of "gluten free"?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why is it I can't walk in to a grocery store without every damn thing being proudly vaunted as "gluten free?"  Even things which do not and never have contained any wheat product whatsoever in them are marketed this way.  Are there that damned many celiacs a out there?  No, there is not, but what there is is a bunch of simple minded dumb fucks being lead around by pop-nutrition that have no fucking idea what gluten even fucking is or why it is supposedly "bad," they just mindlessly follow whatever the TV and their clueless friends tell them, so now all the fucking country must be marketed to like we all have a fucking wheat allergy all so these dumbasses think they are eating "healthy" when they slam down their 16 inch extra everything pizza made with the magical "gluten free" dough.  These are the same people who think that undersized, misshapen, bug eaten, and three times the cost of everything else "organic" food is somehow better just because it is grown using 18th century farming technology, these ignorant fucking Luddites don't even know the definition of the word organic, but the TV says it's good for them.  I just watched some idiot go through the grocery store checkout line prostolatizing all within earshot about the "evils" of gluten and vaccinations which to her tiny brain cause autism, all evidence to the contrary aside.

People completely lack all critical thinking skills anymore, and they vote.
View Quote

Lol, retard.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Wife is gluten sensitive. She had a rash on both arms for years and could never figure out why. Aches and pains in the joints.

Went gluten free and the rash cleared up within a week and the little aches and pains went away.

So yea its worth it to see her in not so much pain.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Seriously OP, what food has been ruined for you or is no longer available because of "gluten free"?
View Quote

Consumer Information Warriors,
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm assuming a trend away from modified wheat starch to modified corn starch has been a grievous affront to his palate.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:45:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Worked with a Guy that could not drink bear made with gluton
He had it bad

I was going to do a bear Can Chicken party but he could ot eat so we changed it
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:05:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Have some more gluten free water and gluten free air.  Maybe you can find the sugar free, fat free special, hormone free stuff at the hipster health food store.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

For people like my wife (Celiac), the idiots are welcome. If it wasn't for them driving the market to produce more gluten free products, those with Celiac would have far fewer options.

Also, I do believe that I heard that actual cases of Celiac are sort of on the rise; they're better diagnosed these days.

Are you implying that my wife's medically diagnosed disease is just her feels? I hope that you're not that fucking stupid.

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
My home cigar shop currently has on its signboard the following:

NO-CALORIE

&

GLUTEN-FREE CIGARS
View Quote

Some people trying ultra low carb diets and started having issues at some of the sticks like acids.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:22:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Cheerios is now gluten free.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:34:05 PM EDT
[#21]
OP ....you really have no clue WTF you are talking about.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:13:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Celiac checking in.

It killed my great-aunt.  I never met her (she died before I was born) of an intestinal cancer that was connected to her being a Celiac.

The fad aspect of "gluten free" is silly but I have profited so much from it that I hope those crazy diamond fruit bats keep on keeping on.

View Quote

My Grandmother died , it was not one of those things that there was a diagnosis for though.

I've had the stupid symptoms of the disease for 30 years, got the diagnosis 6 years ago for celiac disease.   My issues started at age 5, I had my first colonoscopy at 12 years old, the camera was huge, the evacuation was not fun.

I agree, If it wasnt for the fruit bags on their fad diets, i'd be stuck eating rice, chicken, turkey and beef.   I dont eat fish, burned out on that long ago.  

Would love to not have to eat this special diet, and avoid gluten.  My food bill would be so much smaller.

GF label gets placed on many things that never ever contained gluten products before, the thing is its a major money maker now- that label allows the manufacturer to charge more for the same product because of the label.  I can give you many instances.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#23]
My brother is allergic to gluten and has to avoid it.
Otherwise he gets some nasty rashes.
Would really suck not being able to eat what you wanted.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

In defiance of all medical statistics, approx. 87% of ARFCOM is gluten-sensitive.

View Quote

Guess I'm a 13%er.

Omg, I'm a 13er.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My Grandmother died , it was not one of those things that there was a diagnosis for though.

I've had the stupid symptoms of the disease for 30 years, got the diagnosis 6 years ago for celiac disease.   My issues started at age 5, I had my first colonoscopy at 12 years old, the camera was huge, the evacuation was not fun.

I agree, If it wasnt for the fruit bags on their fad diets, i'd be stuck eating rice, chicken, turkey and beef.   I dont eat fish, burned out on that long ago.  

Would love to not have to eat this special diet, and avoid gluten.  My food bill would be so much smaller.

GF label gets placed on many things that never ever contained gluten products before
, the thing is its a major money maker now- that label allows the manufacturer to charge more for the same product because of the label.  I can give you many instances.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Celiac checking in.

It killed my great-aunt.  I never met her (she died before I was born) of an intestinal cancer that was connected to her being a Celiac.

The fad aspect of "gluten free" is silly but I have profited so much from it that I hope those crazy diamond fruit bats keep on keeping on.

GF label gets placed on many things that never ever contained gluten products before
, the thing is its a major money maker now- that label allows the manufacturer to charge more for the same product because of the label.  I can give you many instances.

http://www.nsf.org/newsroom_pdf/NSF_Gluten_Free_Whitepaper_vF.pdf

Exactly what the regulations allow.   Cheerios became "gluten free" because they removed minor amounts of gluten introduced from processing.  Like Subnet said, it's pretty easy to eat gluten free.  Fruits, vegetables and all sorts of animal protein.  Stay out of the bread and pasta aisle.  Drink wine not beer.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:54:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Drink wine not beer.

GFYS
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Why is it I can't walk in to a grocery store without every damn thing being proudly vaunted as "gluten free?"  Even things which do not and never have contained any wheat product whatsoever in them are marketed this way.  Are there that damned many celiacs a out there?  No, there is not, but what there is is a bunch of simple minded dumb fucks being lead around by pop-nutrition that have no fucking idea what gluten even fucking is or why it is supposedly "bad," they just mindlessly follow whatever the TV and their clueless friends tell them, so now all the fucking country must be marketed to like we all have a fucking wheat allergy all so these dumbasses think they are eating "healthy" when they slam down their 16 inch extra everything pizza made with the magical "gluten free" dough.  These are the same people who think that undersized, misshapen, bug eaten, and three times the cost of everything else "organic" food is somehow better just because it is grown using 18th century farming technology, these ignorant fucking Luddites don't even know the definition of the word organic, but the TV says it's good for them.  I just watched some idiot go through the grocery store checkout line prostolatizing all within earshot about the "evils" of gluten and vaccinations which to her tiny brain cause autism, all evidence to the contrary aside.

People completely lack all critical thinking skills anymore, and they vote.
View Quote
Coming from the other side of this, my wife has a tested and confirmed glutin allergy, so those tags are nice to see. If she eats so much as a piece of bread, she will get painful bloating and diarea that lasts hours.  

Yes there are sheep out there. But that pizza you talk about, is the only way she can enjoy our weekend homemade pizza tradition again....
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#28]
My nephew is batshit crazy hyper when he eats gluten or dairy. he is just crazy when he doesnt.

BACON is gluten free and so are rocks... I love the fads for fat free wheat, all natural polonium and organic dog poop.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#29]
It looks to me like OP has been brainwashed by big agra's marketing arm.
You need to start looking at the data with an open mind and its date of study and who paid for it.
Also stop trusting the .GOV food pyramid.
My Drs office started screening for Celiac and intolerance of gluten and other lectins and a large percentage are positive
for one or the other and their health dramatically improves with the removal of gluten.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

did you know that someone could drop dead over eating a peanut?  or shellfish? why is it so hard to believe that gluten isnt good for some people?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:07:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

did you know that someone could drop dead over eating a peanut?  or shellfish? why is it so hard to believe that gluten isnt good for some people?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one disputes that. I think its more about the fact that nearly half of GD is claiming to be gluten intolerant when such a small percentage of the population has celiac disease. Its just the new fad... there'll be a new one in a few years.

edit: from celiac.org
Home › Celiac Disease in the News › Featured › 9 Things You Should Know Before Going Gluten-Free
9 Things You Should Know Before Going Gluten-Free
February 12, 2014
Sarah Klein of the Huffington Post, with the help of Celiac Disease Foundation’s Medical Advisory Board member Dr. Sheila Crowe, laid out nine tips on starting a gluten-free diet. The original article can be found on the Huffington Post’s website.

More people than ever are buying, cooking and eating gluten-free foods — not that they all require the diet. Gluten-free living appeals to about 30 percent of American adults — but seems to still be widely misunderstood.

There are many hypotheses about the sudden increase in interest in the gluten-free way of life, as well as the rise of patients raising gluten-related concerns with their doctors, says Sheila Crowe, M.D., a spokesperson for the American Gastroenterological Association and a professor in the division of gastroenterology at the UC San Diego School of Medicine. “We don’t have proof to say if some are right or others wrong.”

Despite the lack of scientific clarity, gluten-free eating appears to be here to stay, whether it’s trendy for some or necessary for others. In the meantime, some of the confusion can certainly be cleared up.

Here are nine things you should know before going gluten-free.

1. Some people need to ditch gluten, others just want to. But for most people, it’s not necessary.

About 1 in 100 people — about 1 percent — have celiac disease, an inherited autoimmune disease that causes damage to the small intestine when gluten is ingested.

About .4 percent of people have a doctor-diagnosed wheat allergy, according to a 2006 study. In those people, a true allergic response to wheat (which contains gluten) can include skin, respiratory and gastrointestinal symptoms.

A larger group of people is estimated to have what’s called “non-celiac gluten sensitivity,” which may also produce similar symptoms but is not very well understood by experts. “We don’t really know the mechanism by which this arises,” says Crowe. According to the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness, as many as 18 million Americans have some non-celiac sensitivity to gluten.

People without symptoms may consider avoiding gluten for health reasons, says Crowe. “There’s more of a modern concern that gluten is somehow not good for us,” she says, possibly linked to our transition from hunter-gatherers to cultivators and farmers and the simultaneous increase of grains in our diet. But there’s little evidence proving going gluten-free means good health, she says.

Read more at https://celiac.org/blog/2014/02/12/9-things-you-should-know-before-going-gluten-free/#sKDYyu5eFpwgemjw.99

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#33]

The little Thai place I occasionally visit for lunch has a sign out front that says "All our rice is now gluten free."

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Who you callin' dumb ass?

Mohammad loves my @$$.  That is, when he's not cheating on me with that hussy.

Aloha, Mark
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top