User Panel

Page / 131
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gold's up $5 Silver down 7cents.
View Quote

Which means no safe haven trade or trend today.

Buy the dips baby!!!! BUY THE DIP!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
People mocking predictions of a major financial downturn are ignorant of how these things work.  How a default on loans BY A COUNTRY ripples throughout the world financial system in what may take months to reach its full impact.  The housing crisis did not happen overnight, this won't either.  But this week is definitely the beginning of a major downturn.  The Greek banks were CLOSED today.  What happens tomorrow when they open? Get back to me in a month and let's see how you are laughing THEN.

Greek banks are closed all week, FYI.

Ultimately, Greece is not big nor important enough to cause a "major downturn" - and despite somewhat unpredictable issue with CDSs, the Greek issue is simply not of sufficient scale to have a large global impact.  

Furthermore, as others have pointed out - the Greek bankruptcy has been looming on the horizon for YEARS, and the run-up to this current showdown has been extremely publicized - so a lot of markets have already priced in the predictable consequences.  A drop of 3% in various markets was the reasonable effect, and seems to be what we have seen.

My guess is that while Europe will obviously be dealing with a bit more turmoil as they try to firewall Greece, the US markets will be largely unaffected by this in a month, and will be completely indifferent in six months.

Not just Greece.......Puerto Rico says they can't pay debt. China in bear market. It can snowball from here

lol

In other news, Luxembourg's financial outlook is pretty peachy.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A close below 17635 would open up a test of 17164.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Meh my overall portfolio is down a whopping .21% less than. 1/4% is no different than any other bad day
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Buying CXW on the close.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Buying CXW on the close.
View Quote

Prisons. Always a favorite.

My go to in bad times is usually chemical companies. Super absorbent polymers. No matter what happens, people have kids and old people grow older... diapers are required.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Down 2%.  It sucks but not Armageddon.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're looking at DOW Jones as some type of economic indicator, it's a speculative market for starters.

Real assets, GDP, real unemployment, and debt are better indicators than the stock market.

Economic slowdown in Europe does not equal a market collapse for the US.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My go to in bad times is usually chemical companies. Super absorbent polymers. No matter what happens, people have kids and old people grow older... diapers are required.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buying CXW on the close.

Ex div is tomorrow and it pays 6.42%.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:06:52 PM EDT
[#12]
BUY! BUY! BUY!  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#13]
The real countries to watch now are Spain, Italy, Portugal, and Ireland.

We still don't know that Greece is going to default for certain.

They might offer a deal where they pay in Drachmas, and go back to Drachmas.  That would be really bad for the Eurozone.

Spain's unemployment and Italy's debt are much bigger problems than Greece.  Greece is just the Canary in the mine.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#14]
The risk is not so much Greece but the structural illiquidity of the market which will exacerbate any moves up or down which should be part of the equation.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

BUY! BUY! BUY!  
View Quote
I did did did.  Moved out at 18,100 or so, back in at 17,603.

Bad news is good for the contrarian.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Just checking in to see if Lord Humongous put his pants back on.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quite the change in predictions.  And less than an hour from closing.  That's very bold of you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think they will end up down around 2% on the close. Just the beginning

Quite the change in predictions.  And less than an hour from closing.  That's very bold of you.

And it was spot on. Tomorrow will be the same or worse
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You made a prediction about where the market would close with less than an hour to go before closing, and you're proud that you were close?  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:56:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Oh, I see.

So when you said "Get ready for Market Collapse 2.0 on Monday" what you really meant was "Get ready for a Market drop of 2% on Monday"?

Did you just forget to hit the "%" key on your keyboard?  Is that going to be your new story?

Or are you still going with the "by Monday I actually meant six months from now (or maybe six years from now)" story, or maybe the "I was really talking about China when I said Greece" angle?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I see.

So when you said "Get ready for Market Collapse 2.0 on Monday" what you really meant was "Get ready for a Market drop of 2% on Monday"?

Did you just forget to hit the "%" key on your keyboard?  Is that going to be your new story?

Or are you still going with the "by Monday I actually meant six months from now (or maybe six years from now)" story, or maybe the "I was really talking about China when I said Greece" angle?

The collapse is just starting

Today is the first day of our descent into bear markets
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Today is the first day of our descent into bear markets
View Quote

If you invest based on the expectation of a bear market, you're going to lose money.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Down 350 ... on day one after the Greek collapse
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Whew that freefall felt like zero g's there for a second op.
You really....
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Puerto Rico about to default now

Are the house of cards beginning to fall?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Of course, the chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. Time to pop those p-mags survival Steve and go take over your neighborhood.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Twas dubbed the Greekpocalypse ......
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you think it's about to fall apart, buy some DIA puts and calm down.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:00:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Futures pointing to a higher open tomorrow.....CNN Money
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#29]
the markets been in correction for a few months now, utilities, energy, commodities, rails, everythings been tanking for a while,

the other sectors will catch up now and tank as well, so be it, time to cleanse the system so we can go higher
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:06:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote

Puerto Rico? My ballsack is a better indicator of market trends. It's shrinking, but I was in the pool.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Just checking in to see if Lord Humongous put his pants back on.
View Quote

No, not yet.

Of course this is the day everyone wanted to go out to Buffalo Wild Wings after work.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Futures pointing to a higher open tomorrow.....CNN Money
View Quote

I hope not, although we may get a bounce.

I want at least one more down day, preferably two or three more.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Greece could make a few bucks by selling the naming rights to the Parthenon.

How about the "Chipotle Parthenon" or "Weetabix Stadium"?

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:45:31 PM EDT
[#35]
So I've been out with the family in Chicago. Did the market come crashing down while was out? Should I run to the dunking donuts across the street and stock up on supplies?

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:52:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The risk is not so much Greece but the structural illiquidity of the market which will exacerbate any moves up or down which should be part of the equation.
View Quote

Yep. People here have no concept of the snowball. And reserve ratios...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:06:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Our market won't plummet, or collapse. This isn't the apocalypse that most of the news networks are making it out to be. We have few ties to Greece, and short of Eurozone involvement, many of the major EU countries have little physical attachment to Greece as well. It'll be devastating for Greece, the Euro might dip some, we'll barely notice as Europe will be only somewhat impacted, and life will go on.

The musings of somebody very unqualified to make predictions, based on limited attention paid to the unfolding situation...
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:07:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Greece could make a few bucks by selling the naming rights to the Parthenon.

How about the "Chipotle Parthenon" or "Weetabix Stadium"?

View Quote

I'd go
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:09:04 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

So I've been out with the family in Chicago. Did the market come crashing down while was out? Should I run to the dunking donuts across the street and stock up on supplies?

View Quote
Is there a g on the end in Chicago?

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:15:21 AM EDT
[#40]

All you people downplaying this are waaaay off base!  This is bigger than Y2K!!  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

We'll bail them out. After all they always have been our welfare babies. Is there anyone left on that island NOT sucking on the FSA tit already ?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

All you people downplaying this are waaaay off base!  This is bigger than Y2K!!  

View Quote

This is 15 bigger!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:36:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

We'll bail them out. After all they always have been our welfare babies. Is there anyone left on that island NOT sucking on the FSA tit already ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plenty. The ones working with the Narcos out of S. America.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#44]
This is the worst market collapse ever.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#45]
+94.86
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#46]
One thing I have learned.

NEVER listen to ANYONE who is predicting an exact time, or date, of the "event"..... no matter what it is, or what they use to back up their theory.

Anyone who thinks they can call the "day" is a complete moron, and always proves out to be.  Eventually they may be right..... you can scream "it's gonna crash".... wait 10 years.... and eventually you might be right.  But those are the people who will cost you dearly if you listen to them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:52:30 AM EDT
[#47]
We will always remember where we were when Market Collapse Y2K+15 went down
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Exactly.

It's like the doomer circle-jerk thread here on arfcom.  Some of the same people have confidently been predicting "the collapse" since 2008.  Every year, it's right around the corner, and it's always about to happen.  And every time it doesn't happen, they make excuses and claim that the situation is dire, and it's all a house of cards, and it's unsustainable, and the total collapse is totally right around the corner.  Six months tops.

And the funniest thing of all is that when eventually the natural cyclical nature of economies DOES result in another recession, then they'll claim that they totally predicted it - and will furiously backpedal, and say that the recession is just a pre-cursor to the "total collapse" that's right around the corner, and is totally going to happen any day now. ... definitely in six months.  

It's so cute. If they understood markets they way they think they do, and claim to, they'd all be billionaires.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One thing I have learned.

NEVER listen to ANYONE who is predicting an exact time, or date, of the "event"..... no matter what it is, or what they use to back up their theory.

Anyone who thinks they can call the "day" is a complete moron, and always proves out to be.  Eventually they may be right..... you can scream "it's gonna crash".... wait 10 years.... and eventually you might be right.  But those are the people who will cost you dearly if you listen to them.

Exactly.

It's like the doomer circle-jerk thread here on arfcom.  Some of the same people have confidently been predicting "the collapse" since 2008.  Every year, it's right around the corner, and it's always about to happen.  And every time it doesn't happen, they make excuses and claim that the situation is dire, and it's all a house of cards, and it's unsustainable, and the total collapse is totally right around the corner.  Six months tops.

And the funniest thing of all is that when eventually the natural cyclical nature of economies DOES result in another recession, then they'll claim that they totally predicted it - and will furiously backpedal, and say that the recession is just a pre-cursor to the "total collapse" that's right around the corner, and is totally going to happen any day now. ... definitely in six months.  

It's so cute. If they understood markets they way they think they do, and claim to, they'd all be billionaires.

I think most of them are wishing for it, too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I predict the DOW will go up a couple of hundred points on Monday.

eta: I'm spending the next few days on a boat so I'll miss whatever happens. Thankfully, I won't have internet access because I'm sick of all the bullshit I've been reading.

View Quote

Well, obviously I was wrong about the gain I predicted. I will, however, predict that we will regain that loss possibly today or at least this week. The the market will continue to be propped up and rise back in to the 18,000s.

Page / 131
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top