Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 131
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm so old I remember when a 212 point drop would have been a near disaster.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me also........now all it means is the tea pot is whistling.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:31:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I'm so old I no longer remember that.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm so old I no longer remember that.  

Holy shit that IS OLD.

And Poly and I are OLD.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#4]
"There all going to laugh at you"
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:35:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Europe Markets closing.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Europe Markets closing.

http://i.imgur.com/3PAxqni.png
View Quote

-1.81%  Such a catastrophe.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:39:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Markets selling off big time now....speeding up. Even a gap down in the middle of the day. Not a good sign.

I never said they would fall 8,000 points in one day. That is just where it might end up.

The 2008 crash was over the course of an entire 6 months
View Quote

So...how's your portfolio doing with those short options you took?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Europe Markets closing.

http://i.imgur.com/3PAxqni.png
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:42:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/debs711/goalposts.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Markets selling off big time now....speeding up. Even a gap down in the middle of the day. Not a good sign.

I never said they would fall 8,000 points in one day. That is just where it might end up.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p133/debs711/goalposts.gif

Pretty good. UVXY is up 20%
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

NOOOOOO!!!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:46:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Pretty good. UVXY is up 20%
View Quote

The /VX is up 11% which is good if you like to sell premium.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Greek talks have failed, EU is scrambling to do damage control

This is going to be bad.

I predict DOW goes to 10,000 minimum

I hope everyone sold all their stocks on Friday
View Quote

Are you a financial planner? I would like to pay you to manage my money.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Lots of complacency here.

....and its will work until the panic starts.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
No kidding.
Though I do feel weird sitting here in the office dressed as Lord Humongous and no where to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Down 154.
What the heck kind of panic is this?
I thought we'd be seeing dogs and cats living together and blood flowing in the streets by now.

Yeah, what the hell?
I already started eating my neighbors.  

Premature FO.

No kidding.
Though I do feel weird sitting here in the office dressed as Lord Humongous and no where to go.

The mental image of that comment literally made me when I read it.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#15]
A sell off but not close to a panic
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:08:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

You're worse than a high school date with a virgin.

Are going to get this shit going or not!

I needs mah panic!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#17]

I'm thinking of buying... any suggestions?

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:16:05 PM EDT
[#18]
People mocking predictions of a major financial downturn are ignorant of how these things work.  How a default on loans BY A COUNTRY ripples throughout the world financial system in what may take months to reach its full impact.  The housing crisis did not happen overnight, this won't either.  But this week is definitely the beginning of a major downturn.  The Greek banks were CLOSED today.  What happens tomorrow when they open?  Get back to me in a month and let's see how you are laughing THEN.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
People mocking predictions of a major financial downturn are ignorant of how these things work.  How a default on loans BY A COUNTRY ripples throughout the world financial system in what may take months to reach its full impact.  The housing crisis did not happen overnight, this won't either.  But this week is definitely the beginning of a major downturn.  The Greek banks were CLOSED today.  What happens tomorrow when they open?  Get back to me in a month and let's see how you are laughing THEN.
View Quote

My bank was closed yesterday. I don't know that I'll ever recover.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shit happens. Deal with it, learn from it, and move on. This hand-wringing bullshit only makes you all sound like a bunch of old ladies.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Down 154.

What the heck kind of panic is this?

I thought we'd be seeing dogs and cats living together and blood flowing in the streets by now.

Yeah, what the hell?

Premature FO.

No kidding.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This guy gets it
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#23]
I was training my Golden Retriever in the art of fo'ing.  Looks like he can go back to chewing on my wife's shoes and shitting in my lawn.  For now...
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This guy gets it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy gets it

Money has to go somewhere. When the EU's existence really becomes shaky, money will poor in to the U.S., probably bonds and markets. There might be an initial panic sale here, but i think it will end up going up, not down. Am i right? Who knows. As everyone here loves to say here, the market is not currently based on fundamentals, it is based on injected support and world wide money flows.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Bah.  The market has known this was coming for a while, it was already figured in.  Makes for interesting political theater though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The willful ignorance displayed in any Economics discussion, is far worse than any other topic, and doesn't even have the entertainment value of a Civil War or Tranny thread.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:05:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, what the hell?

Premature FO.

No kidding.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=JN.9682z9ROx7jsGaqeihbPfg&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

That was the expectation.

In reality I've had to spend the day telling people that I'm gravely disappointed in how they leave the cover sheet off their TPS reports.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Off 1-1/3% right now.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Greek banks are closed all week, FYI.

Ultimately, Greece is not big nor important enough to cause a "major downturn" - and despite somewhat unpredictable issue with CDSs, the Greek issue is simply not of sufficient scale to have a large global impact.  

Furthermore, as others have pointed out - the Greek bankruptcy has been looming on the horizon for YEARS, and the run-up to this current showdown has been extremely publicized - so a lot of markets have already priced in the predictable consequences.  A drop of 3% in various markets was the reasonable effect, and seems to be what we have seen.

My guess is that while Europe will obviously be dealing with a bit more turmoil as they try to firewall Greece, the US markets will be largely unaffected by this in a month, and will be completely indifferent in six months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People mocking predictions of a major financial downturn are ignorant of how these things work.  How a default on loans BY A COUNTRY ripples throughout the world financial system in what may take months to reach its full impact.  The housing crisis did not happen overnight, this won't either.  But this week is definitely the beginning of a major downturn.  The Greek banks were CLOSED today.  What happens tomorrow when they open? Get back to me in a month and let's see how you are laughing THEN.

Greek banks are closed all week, FYI.

Ultimately, Greece is not big nor important enough to cause a "major downturn" - and despite somewhat unpredictable issue with CDSs, the Greek issue is simply not of sufficient scale to have a large global impact.  

Furthermore, as others have pointed out - the Greek bankruptcy has been looming on the horizon for YEARS, and the run-up to this current showdown has been extremely publicized - so a lot of markets have already priced in the predictable consequences.  A drop of 3% in various markets was the reasonable effect, and seems to be what we have seen.

My guess is that while Europe will obviously be dealing with a bit more turmoil as they try to firewall Greece, the US markets will be largely unaffected by this in a month, and will be completely indifferent in six months.

Not just Greece.......Puerto Rico says they can't pay debt. China in bear market. It can snowball from here
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:13:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#32]
The only thing dumber than listening to world market direction talk on most forum boards... Is listening to it on CNBC.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Greece's efforts at financial blackmail with thus fail.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#34]
UVXY up 25% now
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:21:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I've traded uvxy a couple of times. Don't have the stomach for it anymore.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:31:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Looks  the same as it did last week, pretty much.
Sky is still blue.

100 dollar bills still  buy gasoline.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:38:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This guy gets it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy gets it

No, neither of you get it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Just to throw this out there. The GDP of Greece is about $240 billion and represents about 0.39 percent of the world economy. If you multiplied that by 50, then I might buy the gloom and doom. There may be a brief market correction or even over-correction, but this is not the end of the financial system as we know it. News about Greece's financial issues have been causing one-day market ups and downs for several years now. Even if they default, we'll be over it in a matter of weeks or months at worst.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This guy gets it

Quoted:
Quoted:
Ha!  Joke's on you.  I don't even have any stocks.  Or money.

Glad I'm not the only smart one here. You and me have it figured out buddy.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I predict  

Down sharply at open

Slow recovery, less than 100 down by lunch

Sell off in the afternoon, maybe 200 down

Closes down less than 100

On the books, just another weak day, no big deal.

Up 100+ tomorrow.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

One hour to go until our own amusement ride begins
I predict  

Down sharply at open

Up 100+ tomorrow.

I'll admit my prediction was wrong. But nowhere near as wrong as that -7000 prediction!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I'll admit my prediction was wrong. But nowhere near as wrong as that -7000 prediction!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One hour to go until our own amusement ride begins
I predict  

Down sharply at open

Up 100+ tomorrow.

That's because you are an underachiever.

Well, that's because you are an underachiever.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:52:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:58:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That was the expectation.

In reality I've had to spend the day telling people that I'm gravely disappointed in how they leave the cover sheet off their TPS reports.
View Quote

Are you telling them through the mic of a loudspeaker? Or at least using the intercom on the phone?

(Did they get the memo about the TPS report? You should send it again.)
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#45]
whoa.. so you're predicting at some point in the future the markets are going to turn downward?  amazing....
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Down 290 so far.

my company stocks are down 1.50  
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#47]
I think they will end up down around 2% on the close. Just the beginning
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Gold's up $5 Silver down 7cents.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I think they will end up down around 2% on the close. Just the beginning
View Quote

Quite the change in predictions.  And less than an hour from closing.  That's very bold of you.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:25:42 PM EDT
[#50]
A close below 17635 would open up a test of 17164.
Page / 131
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top