Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/27/2015 1:14:45 AM EDT
Would you trade in your car (Ford Flex Ecoboost) and drive one of these (or something similar)

In exchange for the blessing to buy one of these for fun, weekends, etc

Working that angle on my wife but need to keep something sensible since we have a 5y/o and 2y/o

So go
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:16:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope. Neither my wife or I have ever liked minivans.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:17:56 AM EDT
[#2]
No.  Buy an SUV and at least pretend you still have a pair.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:18:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Not for a case of Moon Pies.

I don't have any problem with the van, but that car is horrible.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:21:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, already have an SUV but willing to give it up and swallow my pride for the Alfa.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:22:12 AM EDT
[#5]
If I ever remarry and if I ever have kids, I'd get the lady an SUV and drive a pickup or SUV myself.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:26:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Our main vehicle is a Town and Country. I actually like it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:27:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a supercharged Range Rover Sport and kill two birds with one stone.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:29:56 AM EDT
[#8]
If you and the wife like to go driving together a lot on the weekends without the kids, then sure...maybe. But if you're looking for something sensible to drive WITH kids, that's not it. I have no doubt that the wife and I will get a fun car someday, but I'll be waiting until the kids are grown. Patience young padawan.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:30:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Nope, had a 2003 Discovery I bought new and while it was a fine car no more Rovers for me. While my Flex is faster than anything its size has a right to be you just can't turn an SUV into a sports car. The closest I could think of would be the Cayenne Turbo and still not interested.

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:30:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a sienna, who would look in the back of that and expect to find $4000 worth of rifles and handguns? I view cars as tools, use it and when it wears out get a new one. The minivan served it purpose at the time, my next vehicle will hopefully be a 4Runner.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:32:09 AM EDT
[#11]
No problem with the van. Fuck that car.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:33:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Not really, it would be for fun run to work or the store and maybe some track days or drivers ed events here and there and have something cool that's mine and I can come home and look at in the garage so I can still look at myself in the mirror after driving home a mini van

It would be kind of a mid-life crisis car that I would plan on keeping forever as a fun driver.

Quoted:
If you and the wife like to go driving together a lot on the weekends without the kids, then sure...maybe. But if you're looking for something sensible to drive WITH kids, that's not it. I have no doubt that the wife and I will get a fun car someday, but I'll be waiting until the kids are grown. Patience young padawan.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:35:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, but I'll keep my double cab 4WD Off Road Tacoma.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:36:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had a RR Sport for six months.

It spent 3 of those in the shop.

Traded it for a 4Runner TE.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:37:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yeah, already have an SUV but willing to give it up and swallow my pride for the Alfa.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just give the soccer mom van to the wife and drive the Alfa then.  You should have plenty of fun puting on the miles in the Alfa, between your garage and the repair shop.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:37:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Supercharged Sequoia.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:39:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Bought the wife a 2014 town and country, to get comparable interior (usable) room and features in an suv we would have had to spend $20,000 more than we did.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:39:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Wow, lots of Alfa hate in here. I personally like it and it's DSG only so it's an easier sell on the wife as she doesn't drive stick...not that she would get to drive it anyway.

OK, maybe something like this:

or this then

or insert your favorite sports car here
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:41:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I would drive a mini-van if I had a use for a mini-van. I try to keep shallow people out of my life. I have no use for them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:49:24 AM EDT
[#20]
It's not about other people, it's really about my own realization my life is never going to be the same.

When I was younger I had some cool cars that I really enjoyed driving, cleaning, working on etc and just think I should have something like that again before I can't climb my crippled ass out of it

I have had a 1986 Merkur XR4Ti, 1991 Capri XR2, 1990 Volkswagon Corrado, 1969 Porsche 911, 1984 Porsche 944, 1987 Porsche Boxster, 2005 Audi A4 Avant and I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of other stuff plus then the boring stuff.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:52:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's not about other people, it's really about my own realization my life is never going to be the same.

When I was younger I had some cool cars that I really enjoyed driving, cleaning, working on etc and just think I should have something like that again before I can't climb my crippled ass out of it

I have had a 1986 Merkur XR4Ti, 1991 Capri XR2, 1990 Volkswagon Corrado, 1969 Porsche 911, 1984 Porsche 944, 1987 Porsche Boxster, 2005 Audi A4 Avant and I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of other stuff plus then the boring stuff.
View Quote

Just googled a ford flex...op I hate to break it to you but you're already driving a minivan
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:56:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Meh, I happen to like minivans. They are extremely practical. I had a 2006 Caravan that I drove around like it was a sports car (albeit one with a walk-in trunk).
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:57:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't like minivans. They're big cars.

They can't tow or haul and don't have the same driving dynamics when loaded or towing like a ladder frame truck.

If you just want a bigger vehicle to transport kids and pets, a minivan is great. If you want to overload it with crap and go for a road trip, those things are downright scary--just look at i75 in Florida where the overloaded Chryslers and Hondas launch over 3 lanes at 85mph
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:01:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Meh, I happen to like minivans. They are extremely practical.

View Quote

This.

It's an economical people and shit hauler.  I don't care for sports cars anyways.

When the heck will we see a diesel powered mini van or mid sized truck for cripes sakes?

BTW, no MV for me right now.  Jetta TDI (wife's) and Tacoma DCSB 4x4.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:03:59 AM EDT
[#25]
HELL NO! All those things are gayer than cum on a mustache, would not drive
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:07:45 AM EDT
[#26]
A chipped and over 400 HP 0-60 in less than 5.7 second minivan

Quoted:

Just googled a ford flex...op I hate to break it to you but you're already driving a minivan
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:13:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Sure

Truth be too if I could get an AWD Ford Transit with a diesel I might buy one.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:48:54 AM EDT
[#28]
HELL NO.

Myself nor my wife will ever drive a minivan.  I cringe everytime I see someone on the road who made the terrible decision to purchase one.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:54:24 AM EDT
[#29]
No way. My avatar is pretty much my daily driver, while my 2014 Mustang GT is my fun car.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:03:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Normally a compromise is based on some limitation. For example we can have a house or we can get an Alfa Romeo and just rent somewhere. You have an SUV and there is some perceived need to trade it for a mini van. Both are family vehicles so that strikes me as a moot point, but when you throw in the sports car there doesn't seem to be a financial limitation. Or is your SUV actually a $250,000 Winnebago and the left over money from the trade gets you the sports car?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:36:36 AM EDT
[#31]
The Flex is paid for and a used minivan would be less than the trade value of the Flex so take the extra equity and apply it to the Alfa and then put a large chuck of cash on it or pay the rest cash.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:38:36 AM EDT
[#32]
I have a minivan.  I only drive it when we go out of town with the kids (five of them), my wife drives  it daily.  I am askered of the day when I get caught driving it in town by someone I know...

That being said, the MV is actually better (comfort wise) for the kids than the Suburban is.  The 'benefit' of having the kids in the MV all the time is that they stay out of my truck...  As well as the french fries, shoes, old school papers, and general juvenile funk.

Ill drive it, but its like fucking an ugly chick; you dont want your friends to find out.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:42:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The Flex is paid for and a used minivan would be less than the trade value of the Flex so take the extra equity and apply it to the Alfa and then put a large chuck of cash on it or pay the rest cash.
View Quote

But you're still saying you have enough money to spend it on a want and not a need. I'm not hatin on you, if the money isn't really an issue go ahead and get it. Just remember those two kids will want to go to college one day instead of seeing pictures of your old cars.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:47:55 AM EDT
[#34]
No problem, we're blessed with both having good incomes thanks to paying for our own college

In all seriousness it is not a financial decision that would put me in any real bind and if it was I wouldn't even be considering it. I work shitty shifts on from 7a-7p on seven off seven so it would be kind of a nice reward to myself as well for days like today where I'm on my 72 hour of work this week with a day to go yet.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:49:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

But you're still saying you have enough money to spend it on a want and not a need. I'm not hatin on you, if the money isn't really an issue go ahead and get it. Just remember those two kids will want to go to college one day instead of seeing pictures of your old cars.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And they will be pissed when they see that the old car is an Alfa and not something cool
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:08:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Oh I disagree, I would love to have an old Alfa!

or two

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:11:18 AM EDT
[#37]
It's an Alfa, you'd be stuck driving the minivan even on the weekends because it would always be broken.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:12:17 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:17:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Seriously what is wrong with the Edge? My buddy has two girls and they get along fine in the Edge. Maybe trade up to a Flex
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:21:43 AM EDT
[#40]

GD is slipping.

Nobody has called you a pussy yet for needing your wife's blessing to buy a car.

I miss the good old days.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:01:15 AM EDT
[#41]
I've told my wife the only way I'll drive a minivan is if it has the A-Team stripe on it.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:09:09 AM EDT
[#42]
A fast minivan is still a minivan.

The flex isn't a SUV.  It has none of the traits that make an SUV useful.  It's a fast minivan.

If you want a cool sporty car, get it.  But I'd keep the flex unless your wife is wanting to get rid of it.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:25:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you mean a minivan with no sliding doors and bigger tires?

I'll never drive a minivan, but most SUVs are simply vans with normal doors and slightly bigger tires.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:29:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.  Op's already neutered and doesn't know it.    

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Can I keep my full size van and have a Ford GT instead?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:34:57 AM EDT
[#46]
My wife and I had a Chevy Lumina about 15 or so years ago, to haul our little kids around in. It was truly a piece of crap. I was glad when we got rid of it and went to station wagons. Like the....Saturn LW300, which was an even bigger piece of crap, if you can imagine....
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:55:28 AM EDT
[#47]
I'd have no issue with driving a minivan. My self esteem and identity are not tied to my vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:59:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Not for a case of Moon Pies.

I don't have any problem with the van, but that car is horrible.
View Quote

Yep, can't roll coal in that my daddy didn't love me look at me now mobile.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#49]
I don't understand why your wife would be interested in a full on minivan over the sports activity minivan you have now. Is it about the power sliding doors?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:05:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Nope

Had a mini van...never again as most SUVs are around the same price

My Dad told me mini vans are for pussies, he said I had 3 kids and all of you

Fit in the back of my 1966 Impala SS, wtf do you need a mini van for
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top