BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:06:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Our main vehicle is a Town and Country. I actually like it.
View Quote

Me too. The wife has the Van.

I used to do a lot of gun shows & could fit a shit-tonne of boxed rifles in her old T & C.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Get what YOU want OP. If it's an alfa, fine, if it's a 65 GTO, fine, if it's a mini van, fine. You're the one that will be driving it not us. That being said i'm partial to an 05 BMW M3, 06 Audi S4 and 2011 Porsche GT3 RS.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Meh, I happen to like minivans. They are extremely practical. I had a 2006 Caravan that I drove around like it was a sports car (albeit one with a walk-in trunk).
View Quote

+1 I drop my kids at school so I drive the van.  It's my leather seat, xm radio, blue-tooth shaggin wagon.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:32:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:39:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can I keep my full size van and have a Ford GT instead?
View Quote

I wish there were more women like you in my generation.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I drive a Buick Terraza. It's like the Cadillac of vans. Leather upholstery, auto doors, side airbags, DVD player with wireless headphones, etc

I call it the people mover. It can haul a crap load of gear. It has often had 4 shooters and gear for 3-gun matches and made the trip comfortable and relaxing for fhe multi-hour travel time. It's comfy and rides like an SUV.

And it's paid for, no car payments. Zero F's given, it's a vehicle not my personality. I don't offload, 99% of the time I'm driving on paved/improved gravel surface roads. Works really well and allows us to free up our money for investments and such.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:46:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I drive a minivan
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:52:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Nah. I'd drive the 4C all of the time, and keep the minivan/SUV for the occasions when I needed to drive multiple kids around (which, as it turns out, is not all that often).
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:59:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Only 2 kids? Why not just get a 500+ hp wagon?

CTS-V

or

E63 AMG

Or a chariot of fire... behold the 500+ hp SUV:

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No.  Buy an SUV and at least pretend you still have a pair.
View Quote

So true.  Minivan drivers have been neutered and don’t pretend otherwise.  SUV drivers have been neutered but pretend to still have a pair.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:09:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Not sure why an SUV wouldn't work for kids.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Nope. I have no interest in minivan or whatever the red car is.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Every time I've driven a minivan I've enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I love my Sienna.  There, I said it!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:17:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Screw that Kraut Krap. You're in PA. Get her something reliable that'll go in the snow, such as a Subaru Forester.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:19:13 AM EDT
[#17]
My wife and I bought a mini-van when we had our kids. It was convenient with the dual sliding doors and the ability to haul the baby carriages.

However, while at a red light the mini-van in front of us went to make a left hand turn at the intersection when the light turned green. The Suburban SUV blew the red light and T-boned the mini-van. The Suburban compacted the mini-van on the drivers side to 1/2 of the normal size of what it should have been killing the driver (mom) and child passenger. It was like some one stepped on an empty beer can, there was no structural defense.

We immediately sold our mini-van death trap.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nope

Had a mini van...never again as most SUVs are around the same price

My Dad told me mini vans are for pussies, he said I had 3 kids and all of you
Fit in the back of my 1966 Impala SS, wtf do you need a mini van for
View Quote

WAT?

They are no where NEAR the same planetary solar system than the price point of MOST SUV's.

Ohhh, I see you are thinking those car crossovers are actually real SUV's
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#19]
van is something you buy because you need it, It used to be station wagons, but the no longer make those. If you have two kids you can basicall get anything when they are big enough. SUV are too expensive. 60K (NFW its just not worth it)

when you are done needing it you go back to what you want.

Its not a big deal really.

Its about them, not you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#20]
There's a bunch of other stuff out there to fret about... and you're worried about being seen driving a minivan?

Ya'll motherfuckers need Jesus.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Get a supercharged Range Rover Sport and kill two birds with one stone.
View Quote

Ugh, not if you like reliable cars.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:22:25 AM EDT
[#22]
At the dealer to buy a mini van, decided to get a used SUV (Suburban).  1/2 the cost, 2x the space, 1/2 the gas mileage.  I could fit a full sized sheet of plywood with the seats down.

Quoted:
No.  Buy an SUV and at least pretend you still have a pair.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My wife and I bought a mini-van when we had our kids. It was convenient with the dual sliding doors and the ability to haul the baby carriages.

However, while at a red light the mini-van in front of us went to make a left hand turn at the intersection when the light turned green. The Suburban SUV blew the red light and T-boned the mini-van. The Suburban compacted the mini-van on the drivers side to 1/2 of the normal size of what it should have been killing the driver (mom) and child passenger. It was like some one stepped on an empty beer can, there was no structural defense.

View Quote

every car is a death trap.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Nope. Neither my wife or I have ever liked minivans.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#25]
if driving a minivan makes you question your own sexuality, I've got some bad news for you...

I'll never understand how the minivan got stigmatized the way it did.  It's like the Swiss army knife of vehicles.  Carry 7 people, no problem.  Fold the seats into the floor and fill it with sheets of plywood, sure why not.  Sliding doors make it easy to get kids in and out without dinging up anything you park next to.  Power sliders and trunk are also very convenient.  Horsepower??  The Chrysler has 283, and most of the others are over 250 hp now as well iirc.  That's more than a third gen z28.  The only extra thing I wish I could have gotten on my wife's town and country was AWD.  But show me a midsize SUV that comes with heated leather everything and three rows of tv's with a $35k sticker.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#26]
As a family man, I choose utility, and function before style. Mini Vans are great family vehicles.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
As a family man, I choose utility, and function before style. Mini Vans are great family vehicles.
View Quote

absolutely...Unless you need to haul or go offroad Minivans are the best way to get a family around..we had 2 T&Cs at the same time  ...my 01 finally crapped out at 250k a few months ago.

A few years ago I bought my wife a 2008 T&C with 7k miles on it for 14,000...that's just too sweet of a deal to pass up
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Alfa 4C? Hell yeah!

As far as minivans go, they are far superior to SUVs for the way people actually use them. 4Runners make sense for those that go off-road, and Tahoes/Suburbans and the like make sense for those that actually tow, but vans win in terms of space, comfort, accessibility, and efficiency.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:06:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

mini vans fucking rock!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:07:29 AM EDT
[#30]
In theory yes, but I would rather just keep my truck all the time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Wow, first world problems.

Presumably, you have the money and garage space to have a fun car.

Wife won't let you buy a fun car.

If you do buy a fun car, it can't be too fun, or she won't be able to drive it.

She doesn't want to drive it.

But I guess she theoretically needs to be able to.

Two kids, so minivan.

Fuck, bro, I don't know what to tell you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Given that a Ford Flex Eco boost is more even less manly than a minivan - I don't see the problem here.

Had a Tahoe, Minivan is far more utility.  Toyota 8cyl mini van has higher performance and better gas economy as well.

That said, recently got a VW TDI, and it is a better ride if we don't need to pack heavy or take all the kids (5 kids requires the minivan, 2 kids don't).

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:17:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

I drove a Plymouth Voyager to 200K. Last year my 2005 Caravan got crunched. Otherwise, I'd still be driving it. Great vehicles. Comfortable. Lots of room for all kinds of stuff. Very versatile.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Sure. As long as that minivan is a 1985 Dodge Caravan with a reworked 2.5 Turbo engine. The van itself doesn't have to be in perfect shape but the engnie, trans, turbo must have a shit ton of money dumped into it to make it some crazy ass sleeper.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#36]
How many kids do you all have that a mini van is so practical?  We have 2 kids.  Many times if we go on a trip in town or nearby we take my truck as the new  Crew Cab Rams are huge inside.  If it's a longer trip we take the wife's grand cherokee which has more than enough room for us and bags.  

I suppose if we ever had another i might step up to a Tahoe or Suburban or similar but damn a mini-van just doesnt seem as "practical" to me as you all portray unless maybe you have a basketball team sized family
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:19:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

GD is slipping.

Nobody has called you a pussy yet for needing your wife's blessing to buy a car.

I miss the good old days.

View Quote

Did anyone ask for wife pics yet?
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

How many kids do you all have that a mini van is so practical?
View Quote
Had a Tahoe with 3 kids, went to minivan with 4.  When we do a full load now - 5 kids (did a S. Texas to Yellowstone vacation with that load).  You can do 6 kids in the mini - after that passenger vans start looking nice.

We do day trips with 3 kids in the VW Golf.  It has room for a car seat, a booster, and an  8 year old in the back seat.  Honestly it is a mini, mini-van.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:21:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Hell yeah.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#43]
HELL NO

My DD gets parked on the weekends, only drive the family sedan during then.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If I ever remarry and if I ever have kids, I'd get the lady an SUV and drive a pickup or SUV myself.
View Quote

This.  SUV + Truck is the ultimate married homeowner combo.  Pretty much covers all your bases.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:41:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you get T-boned by a Suburban at speed in any passenger vehicle, you're probably going to die. Even if you're in another Suburban.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Minivan is the best option if you have multiple car seats. They take up more room than the kids themselves. Back in the day you could drive with a kid climbing on your lap and all over the place. Now you'll get pulled over for letting an 11 year sit in the front passenger seat with a seatbelt on.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#47]
I would drive a minivan if I needed one.   You are not your car.    Your ego shouldn't be tied in any way, to the car you drive.    Especially if you are already married.

It's kinda sad that you have to scheme and negotiate to buy a sports car.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

If you get T-boned by a Suburban at speed in any passenger vehicle, you're probably going to die. Even if you're in another Suburban.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a F-150 T-Bone my Tacoma. It ripped the front end of the brand new F-150 and did not leave a scratch on my Tacoma. It just damaged the passenger rear wheel, bearings, etc. The cop laughed at Ford.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:54:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a contrast to that story, when I was about 13 years old I was riding shotgun in a Suburban that went head on with a station wagon.  Well sort of head on as as the station wagon slid sideways at 45mph into us as we were coming from the other direction.  The station wagon was absolutely annihilated and the driver only survived because he found a nice little cavity to not die in as everything else crumpled up around him.  The Suburban had very little damage to show for it.  Shockingly little.

When you are dealing with other idiots on the road as opposed to fixed barriers, it's all about curb weight and the more the merrier.

I can understand why people with kids spend $60k to wrap their family in a full size SUV.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#50]
i need a truck, what would i do with a van and a hotweelz car.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top