Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Many years ago when I was still a kid; me and two friends of mine were spending some time at an estate known as Mill Pond which was owned by the Skouras motion picture family and virtually never used by the owners, but overseen by a friend of ours, who would let us come up to enjoy the place from time to time.

My friend Charlie fell asleep by the lake and my friend Bob and I went about hunting some rabbits and squirrels when we heard a high pitched scream that actually sounded like a woman being raped.

It was Charlie; he was awakened by a copperhead that had crawled up on his foot while he slept.

Being an kid and somewhat of an idiot; I raised my Marlin .22 to my eye and shot the snake's head clear off from a distance of over 50 feet.

Charlie looked at me and said "next time let him bite me".

I'll never forget that day.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Field mouse @ 300 yards.

I had a Rem 700 VSSF II in .223 with a Leopold scope.  I would reload as accurately as I possibly could.  I used Lapua cases weighed to the .1 gr.  I weighed every projectile to .1 gr and the load was within .1 gr.  I'd load in lots so I'd have 50 rounds that were as close to the same as I could measure.

I'd go to wally world and get 5 dozen eggs and golf tees and set them up at 300 yards for targets.  I was shooting one day in the morning and took a break to clean the barrel.  I looked through a spotting scope to see how many eggs I had left and I saw a little mouse come out of the woods and started eating the busted eggs.

I took the cleaning rod guide out of the gun, put the bolt back in and chambered a round.  Pulled the trigger and the little guy jumped a little but didn't run off.  I had to go downrange to see where I hit the little guy and it hit him right behind his front shoulder.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I was out in my backyard range shooting my Marlin 17VS at a target 35 yds. away. A house fly landed on the target and I decided to take a shot at it.  There was a tiny hole surrounded by fly gut splatter after the shot.  My daughter witnessed it.  Granted I was shooting from a sandbagged rest, but it was still awesome.  The Marlin is glass and pillar bedded, has a free floating barrel, and a Rifle Basix trigger.  Hell of an accurate little rifle.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Lucky, or unlucky:

I was golfing with some friends at a midnight golf course in Florida, where I grew up.  Anyway, tee'd up, ready to drive, my friends are standing about 10 yards away and nearly directly in front of me, facing me.  I'm driving perpendicular to them:

Them

Green / tee box <------aim      Me

Anyway, I clipped the ball with the very tip of the club (Very bad outside / in swing from playing baseball as a kid) and the ball went directly in front of me, 90 degrees from where I was aiming, and hit my friend square in the nuts.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#5]
2 from recent memory:

I rolled up a 150# boar at a full run just over 125yds with a 5.56 AR and an eotech.  I mean he was DRT.  No kicking, squealing, nothing.

I killed a particularly annoying bird (was sitting on the pier picking off the fish no stop) with a shot right through the base of the neck with a gun I had never shot before (~50 yds).
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I once caught a fly with chop sticks, really. Anyone I tell either doesn't believe me or fails to grasp the significance.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#7]
3lb Tannerite at 400 yards with a borrowed .300 win mag.

We were in the desert camping and shooting. Tannerite was all over the place: hidden up in the hills, long range, short range.

My buddy pulls out his win mag and takes about 10 shots at the one around 400 yards, then asks me if I want to have a go. Now, this thing is the size of a mason jar and you can hardly see it through the 10 power scope. He says: "there's only one round left, I'll run back to the truck and grab more". I told him "one round was all I needed". I asked him where the gun was zero'd, he said 600 yards, so I held about 3' low and pulled the trigger.

BANG!!!! Sure enough, one shot that thing. About 10 of my buddies witnessed the whole thing. It's pretty much legendary with my friends, and it was pure luck. Every time we're shooting long range and a target is tough my buddies call me over.  I'm really not even that great of a shot. Hahaha
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I once caught a fly with chop sticks, really. Anyone I tell either doesn't believe me or fails to grasp the significance.
View Quote

Mr. Morita?  I had no idea we had a celebrity on the site.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#9]
16yrs old.

Just bought a brand new bow and had it set up and tuned at the local indoor range/pro shop.

Made three sight adjustments at the 25yd line.

The commenced to Robin Hood three arrows in six shots.

Father was pissed that he had to buy more arrows, until the shop owner chuckled gave me another dozen for free.

Learned my lesson, and only shot one arrow per bullseye thereafter.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#10]
This is going back about 40 years.  My brother and I had just arrived at the shore of a river to bow hunt for carp.  My brother (born without a left hand) was putting on his prosthetic left hand which he used only to hold a bow.  I was setting up the bow fishing arrow on the arrow rest waiting to hand my brother the bow when a carp jumped out of the water at about 10-12 yards away.  My brother said "take a shot" and after it jumped out of the water a second time I drew the bow and took a random shot at the spot that I had last seen the carp.  I didn't think I had hit the carp, but as I was pulling in the line I felt a tug and pulled in a 9 pound carp.  First time I'd ever shot his bow!
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Walking through some scrubland in the desert, was putting my right foot down when I picked something up moving, very fast at my foot.  I drew and fired without any conscious thought involved and took the head off of a 5 foot rattlesnake.  The neck stump hit my foot as it was still traveling.

Total luck.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:18:55 PM EDT
[#13]
250yds, I was standing and shot a running deer on a last ditch effort to make something of my week long hunting trip in North Florida. Blew out its spine just in front of the shoulders. I'm pretty well trained and at the time practiced a lot, but I have to chalk that one up to the grace of God. Remington 710, 30-06 with a Nikon Buckmaster.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I made a 750ish yard shot with an M4.  I know it wasn't skill because I'd missed every other target pass 500 yards.

I watched one of the DM's go for 1000 yards with a SAMR.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:54:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I got a perfect double on a swinger according to the SO at a club IDPA match once. He said he saw it go through the hole in the target and couldn't hardly believe it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Took the head off a grouse as a kid. I was probably 14 or so, still relatively new to shooting.  In the neighborhood of 100 yards with a scoped 30-30, I aimed for the head, but hit about an inch low and took his head nearly clean off. No way I could duplicate that shot at the time, relatively easy now. I have no idea what range the scope was zerod at.

In Canada I watched a friend consistently drop snow goose after snow goose at at least 70 yards. We were pass shooting between the field they were feeding and the roost.  I am better than most with a shotgun  and I was hitting about 1 out of 3 during volleys. He went 3 for 3 numerous times. It was unreal. I got sick of wasting ammo and just took out the occasional low flyers. He just kept plugging away.

Watched my uncle shooting bats with a .22 with birdshot as they were coming back into the chimney flume at the cabin. Duck hunting I watched him twice catch a duck as we were having a dump the bird closest to the blind contest.

Hunting with a group of friends, we unloaded on a flock of Canada geese.  Not paying enough attention to the mayhem of 5 guys and a big flock of geese, one friend and my brittany were hit by dead birds. My friend was only glanced, dog got hit hard enough to yelp.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Back in 2006 I was gunning on an M1A1 tank for the first time at a live-fire range during training. The scenario had two targets moving toward each other. I was tracking one at 1500meters and the commander gave the fire command, I hesitated just for a split second, then fired. Next thing I hear is the tower tell us to stop moving because I had hit both moving targets with a single shot. I looked back at the TC, grinned, and told him " you owe me a beer".
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#18]
This group with a .32 auto at 25 yards.

Haven't shot it since.  Ain't gonna do no better.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Was shooting the sks with a friend. Saw a squirrel in a tree and decided to shoot it. It tried to get away and ran to the other side of the tree. I figured about where he would be and shot at the trunk thinking id scare him back around in to view. After taking the shot I see him fall to the ground. Upon further inspection it was determinedthat the shot went through the tree and drilled him in the middle of his chest.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#20]
While driving around in the country drinking so bud long necks I did the alley-oop over the root of the car and nailed the speed limit sign.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#21]
67 yards, lasered to the dead body.

Pigeon head shot from a ruger mk II unsupported.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Prairie Dog at 523 yds on a windy ass Wyoming day with a 10/22.
View Quote

Yea, I think this one is a little bit of a stretch
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I was a senior in high school and my friend and I were shooting fired 12 ga. shells, ends toward us, from about a hundred yds.  I had my dad's Sako 222 and a good improvised rest.  Some other kids that I knew from school had just showed up and I took aim, shot, and the 12 ga. shell went flying.  We found it and there was no primer in it, as if it had been removed by a reloading machine.  Since the gun was about a 1/2 to 3/4 inch 5 shot group gun at 100 yards it was lucky to be dead center.  The guys from school were amazed.  I acted like it happened all the time, and stopped shooting at that point.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
dove on a power wire at 150 yards with a crossman 760 in 1 shot at the age of 14. I wasnt entirely  sure i was the reason it went down till i checked its corpse.  my buddy was there to wittness it. I aimed comically far over its head.

also hit a flying bat with it.
View Quote

My best shots were also from my Crossman pump. One was a dove atop a '150 tree at 150-200 yards, with witness.

We had an old dairy barn about 150 yards from the house. It had a single bare light bulb hanging from a wire that you could see through the cracks between the shingles at night. I took it with a single bb, first shot.  That was my best.

My luckiest was when my friend's brother shot me COM across a pool table with his Crossman. I was lucky in that it rested in my liver, and not my heart or other organs that would likely have killed me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#25]
My buddy launched a clay pigeon with one of the hand held throwers and I hit it on the first shot with a 10/22 from the hip lol. . .
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:03:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Are you a cop?
View Quote

Are you a troll?

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Shot a couple of clay pigeons out of the air with a Glock 23.  Friend was launching them low to the ground and I would mag dump the gun, sort of WW2 Bofors gun style like a ships AA taking out a Kamikaze.  I hit a few a couple times over about 40 yards out back in the day.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#28]
moose hunting near fairbanks as a kid, walked out of some thick brush into an open wooded area. Looked left and a cow moose was charging me, so I raised my sporterized Eddystone 1917 30-06 and proceded to pump 3 rounds in here as fast as I could. She dropped 12 feet from me, first shot hit jugular,  second through the left eye and third in the spine. Heard movement to my right and saw a yearling calf coming out of the brush, she had just been trying to protect her baby.  I was 13 and after the adrenaline dump, I proceeded to cry like a baby til dad found me a half hour later. He was pissed I let it get that close.

Squirrel hunting on murphy dome, didn't see a single one and these tiny poofy tweety birds were annoying, so I raised my Marlin 60 and fired a quick shot, taking it's head off 25 feet away.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:48:17 PM EDT
[#29]
With a gun, I rolled a coyote at a dead run quartered away from me about 150 yards away.  Halfway hung out the truck shooting backwards with a hot 25-06, put the cross-hairs about a half dog ahead of him and boom, rolled like Samaras in Reno. I've seen much better shots with the people we hunt with though.

Without a gun, I took a dare and nailed a work truck going down the road about 100 yards away with a 6-iron.  Not the smartest move...  the whole time I'm thinking no way I hit it right? Choke up on the shaft, lean and take some loft out, and bam, low line drive directly into the rear fender.  They slam on the brakes and I'm fully expecting a wholesale ass beating, but luckily the distance made them not too sure what happened, and they drove on down the road.  Young and dumb.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Shooting: First time shooting a shotgun. Was out shooting trap with BIL and his FIL with a borrowed shotgun. I was shooting OK and hitting most of the clays. Missed one that was heading directly away from me. I kept tracking it. BIL says don't bother it's too far away. I increased my lead as it was dropping and took it out.

Non-shooting: Playing a round of disc golf and got a hole (basket) in one on a 281 ft hole.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Squirrel on the run across power line at 45 degrees 75 yards out, nailed it with gamo air rifle
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Black bird out of the air about 50 feet high with a .22.

Hit a prairie dog at about 60 yards while he was running with a .22 after he ran into a knee high clump of grass.

First deer I ever shot was 50 yards away at a full run and I shot it in the head with a .243. Yes, I did aim for the head.

Half court shot with 3 seconds left to win a the state HS basketball title.

One of these is not true.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#33]
I missed a squirrel at 10 feet with my suppressed SR22. He ran up a tree 30 yard away taunting me and I put one through his neck.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:43:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Not gun related, but my high school was located at the bottom of a valley.

On the hillside overlooking the valley was a big 30' rock face, which we painted every year in the school colors.

I'm up there with some friends one time, and I've got a frisbee with me. The wind is blowing right into my face.

I hucked the frisbee as hard as I could off the cliff into the wind. and it freaking soared. Must have gone out a hundred yards (I have witnesses).

Then the wind caught it, and it floated literally right back into my hand.

I didn't move an inch. Just stood there and caught it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:46:50 AM EDT
[#35]
My very first compound bow.  Fred Bear Instinct.

This was arrow number 6 or 7 on my very first try with my new bow.  But my groups were pretty solid for 25 yards.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:08:08 AM EDT
[#36]
While chasing a suspect with felony warrants I deployed my taser one handed at a full sprint. Top barb hit his upper right shoulder and bottom barb was just below his waist band on left side. Full lock up and he slid to a stop on wet grass. Bet I couldn't make the shot again if I tried 10 times.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:30:40 AM EDT
[#37]

Shot a hand thrown can twice out of the air with a Red Ryder BB gun
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:40:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My very first compound bow.  Fred Bear Instinct.

This was arrow number 6 or 7 on my very first try with my new bow.  But my groups were pretty solid for 25 yards.  

http://i.imgur.com/DOiOTOI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ue80grJ.jpg
View Quote

I used to be able to do that with a bow every so often.  

My luckiest shot  happened completely by accident.  I was partridge hunting behind my childhood home when I was about 13.  I was using an old single shot Ithaca 20ga, and I saw a partridge on the ground.  I shot it, and when I went to retrieve it, I found that bird and another one 3 feet behind it that I hadn't even seen.  I assume the second bird was lined up close enough behind the other to catch some stray BB's.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:39:29 AM EDT
[#39]
We call it "Robbery Drill"
Shooter begins face down, two steel plates at 7 yards.

Timer says "Shoot"

Shooter rolls over, pulls CCW, shoots from the ground,

2 rounds each, on two plates.

I did flat 3 seconds today.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:49:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Never had a "lucky" shot.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:31:54 AM EDT
[#41]
I think it was 05, the first or second shoot at the MG Shooter's Big Sandy range. I was there to fly planes as targets with my buddy Kevin, and normally we flew during the day as well as night, but the day before all the tracer fire had started a fire that got kind of out of hand, so they banned tracers from the night shoot. They still put dynamite out on wooden stakes with glow sticks though, and folks with NVG were popping away. Since it's no fun to shoot at a plane at night without tracers (dangerous, too, since you can't be sure your fire is staying below the mountain that makes up the backstop), we were bored. I grabbed my AR and went to see if I could hit any of the dynamite.

Took me half a mag to get dialed in because I was pretty much counting on sparks from the rocks downrange to tell how close I was, but I finally got the holdover right and hit one. Big thumping boom and a green glowing mist of atomized glowstick floating along about 200 yards out. Managed 3 more before I let Kevin run a couple of mags through.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:33:17 AM EDT
[#42]
I have two that were 10% raw skill and 90% luck. one was a first round hit on the head of fullsize idpa silhouette targets with a M92FS at 165 Yards. I have 3 witnesses. The second was an offhand shot with a 10?22 (bullbarrel, free floated, 4x scope). I hit a 1" glowstick tied up on a fishing line swinging in the breeze. I popped it on the first round at 95 yards.

Neither of these shots have I ever tried to replicate. I know better than that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:36:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Shooting steel gongs at 100 yards when a prairie dog ran out behind one.

Shot the gong and send the little fucker flying
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:27:57 AM EDT
[#44]
I shot a flying crow with a Slingshot and a marble at about Age 10.   About 40 yards out, 10 yards in the air.   Witnessed by my buddy.   Neither of us could believe it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:33:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Steel silhouette target and 300 yards with a 6 inch Desert Eagle .44 on the fifth shot. Complete fluke but it made me feel like a bad ass that day.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Probably one of the many head shots I was able to score on groundhogs many years ago with a 220 swift I had.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#47]
I have a few. Best one was when i was about 11 years old.

I had gone to visit a friend of our family at their ranch in northern CA for about a month. I wasn't allowed to bring my BB gun but my wrist rocket sling shot was approved.  Lee was a wheat farmer and had plenty of ground hogs he wanted to to dispatch. I shot at ground hogs for days and days. After awhile i had managed to get a few.

Then one day we were by the house and Lee mentioned i had got pretty good with that ole rock flinger. His wife was working in the vegetable garden and over head of that was a telephone line. He pointed up to the line and spotted a few birds and asked me if i could hit one of them?

I said i could try. "Go ahead kiddo"  I shot and hit the first morning dove in the head and it ricocheted off and hit the second one in its head.

Both fell dead right in front of his wife bent over working in the garden. The looks that transpired over the next few seconds are forever ingrained in my head.

He looked at me first like HOLY F#*K then he looked over at his wife who was PISSED!

He gave my a pat on the shoulder and a sheepish grin.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#48]
30 yard shot on a crow sitting on a power line with a BB gun that had a broken scope.

Honestly the cross hairs weren't even on the bird, it was just dumb luck that I murdered the poor guy.

I felt bad after
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 4:27:07 PM EDT
[#49]
My buddy was trying to hit a .22 shell from around 20 feet with my 10/22.  He went through a 10 round mag, missed every shot then started his reload.  I grabbed my buddies 40 cal XD off the table, fired one shot and nailed it.  Found the shell to prove I hit it.  I could probably never nail that with one shot again.  Especially out of an XD .
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#50]
My friend was shooting at a sparrow about 50 yards away with my FAL and not getting close. (he's not a shooter).

I pulled my 1911 and shot. The bird spiraled to the ground. I said, "Let's go have a look".

We got down there and the bird was walking around on the ground. The bullet had barely touched the back of his head. I was getting ready to put him out when he up and flew off.

I casually mention, " Well, hell. I didn't want to kill the thing just for grins".

He, to this day, believes I intentionally knocked a sparrow out, at 50 yards, offhand, with a 1911.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top