Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:33:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For those who have not seen it, take a 12 minute time out and put your headphones on and turn up the volume.
Real time audio and comms from ground and Eagle and Columbia.
Amazing stuff.

http://www.firstmenonthemoon.com/
View Quote

3 hour Apollo 11 EVA in full

NASA/Apollo playlist
With recaps of most Apollo missions.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:37:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Absolutely!

You didn't grow up during that time and not watch the Apollo missions.
View Quote
This.

A different time with much fewer distractions for kids, everyone watched.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:39:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Never knew it until years later about the engine design.

Notice the piping around the engine nozzles?

Know what that was for?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I never realized just how huge the Saturn V was until I went to the cape and saw it in person. It is just frickin' amazing that that thing could be hurled into space. I could stand up in just one of the nozzles on that thing!

http://astrobob.areavoices.com/files/2013/08/Saturn-V-wiki.jpg

Know what that was for?

I think they're used to circulate liquid oxygen around the nozzles to keep them from melting.  I could be wrong though, cause I aint no rocket surgeon.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh, and check out the Mission Control channel on SomaFM
http://somafm.com/missioncontrol/

They play NASA mission tapes over ambient music, it can be pretty fascinating.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I was a college student in Arlington, TX when they first set foot on the moon.  My wife at the time and I lived in a duplex and just had a tiny black and white TV from a pawn shop.  The occupants of the other half of the duplex were a Viet Nam vet and his wife who owned a nice color TV and they invited us to come into their place to watch the landing.  I have always felt a debt of gratitude to that guy for his service and for letting us into his home to watch that historic event.  Having been in quite a few parts of the world that aren't very nice since then I've always been more thankful than proud to be an American but on that particular evening I was very proud.  We certainly had the attention of the world in a positive way that night.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:46:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Our grade school would gather everyone in the gym, sitting on the floor, to watch the launches live on TV.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:48:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Even though it wasn't a landing mission, Apollo 8 is my favorite of all the manned missions.
Here's a pretty cool vid about the crew getting the Earthrise photograph.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:02:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/Tontofontenot/media/872624C4-F63D-4B06-A277-BABEEFCFE58D-11746-0000133519A17D29_zps054f3670.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l485/Tontofontenot/872624C4-F63D-4B06-A277-BABEEFCFE58D-11746-0000133519A17D29_zps054f3670.jpg</a>

Lived watching the Apollo Program at home and school.
My wife bought me this for my birthday a couple of years ago.
One of my most prized possessions.
Mercury Familiarization Manual signed by Gordon Cooper, Wally Schirrah, Scott Carpenter and Alan Shephard.

I don`t have a case of M855 to trade but I will find one if need be, to trade for that manuscript!
<a href="http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/Tontofontenot/media/A5978530-3831-450F-8F08-42BFA2BAD025-2620-000002D3B48470DA_zpsdadd0007.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l485/Tontofontenot/A5978530-3831-450F-8F08-42BFA2BAD025-2620-000002D3B48470DA_zpsdadd0007.jpg</a>
No thanks brother. Following the rules. My most prized possession. She's a keeper!

I got nothing.

You have both.

OK. I will see if I can find and buy 2 cases of M855 from a local neckbeard.

BTW, that is a GREAT picture of the both of you.

I guess the ammo trade for the manuscript is out of the picture. Tried...........................

Your lady is really pretty! All of the best to you and yours!

BTW,
OK. Will you settle for 3 cases of M855 from a neckbeard for the manuscript?

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:04:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:05:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I think they're used to circulate liquid oxygen around the nozzles to keep them from melting.  I could be wrong though, cause I aint no rocket surgeon.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I never realized just how huge the Saturn V was until I went to the cape and saw it in person. It is just frickin' amazing that that thing could be hurled into space. I could stand up in just one of the nozzles on that thing!

Know what that was for?

That is my understanding as well.

Good response!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:16:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a little Mercury capsule pencil sharpener when I was in the fifth grade, and I remember watching the Apollo 11 lunar landing on a small B&W portable TV out on the patio while we were having dinner.   We had the Viet Nam war, civil unrest and the space program going on at the same time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:23:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had a little Mercury capsule pencil sharpener when I was in the fifth grade, and I remember watching the Apollo 11 lunar landing on a small B&W portable TV out on the patio while we were having dinner.   We had the Viet Nam war, civil unrest and the space program going on at the same time.
View Quote

It was a time of many things happening.

Many of those things that happened, are not forgotten, to this day.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:32:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mercury, Gemini, Apollo and then on to STS.
I lived and breathed all of it since I was old enough to understand that men were actually getting launched in to space.

The United States space program changed the entire planet and it is amazing to sit back and reflect on how it did so.

View Quote

Myself.

If we get 1/10 of the advances today from going to Mars we got from the moon program it will be money well spent.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:38:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:56:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I did, just like every other red blooded American kid  did back then

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember staying up late with my parents waiting on that "candle to get lit", and then drifting off to sleep. Mission control, for some odd reason, would get right down to the last couple of minutes and hold the launch. Dad would wake me up about 30 seconds right before the launch. That rocket lifting off, was AWESOME!

B&W TV. I will never forget those days. Inspired me to become who I am today.

Thank you M&D. Thank you NASA, also.

I did, just like every other red blooded American kid  did back then

I tip my hat to you.

Don`t know how many of us are left.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:16:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Was JPL around then?

I am guessing not.

Old companies that MIGHT have existed then were

McDonnell Douglas
Boeing
Northrup Grumman

For some odd reason, I am thinking that they may have played a part in contributing to the space program in the early years.

I guess only engineers of that era would know.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:24:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Was JPL around then?

I am guessing not.

McDonnell Douglas
Boeing
Norman Rockwell

View Quote

Morton-Thiokol
Martin Marietta
Lockheed

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:30:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Morton-Thiokol
Martin Marietta
Lockheed

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was JPL around then?

I am guessing not.

McDonnell Douglas
Boeing
Northrup Grumman

Morton-Thiokol
Martin Marietta
Lockheed

I can see Lockheed being around.

The others, not so sure.

Martin Marietta has been around for quite some time.

Not sure when Morton Thiokol stepped in.

Their SRBs` were only known to me around `83 or `84.

I don`t know everything and don`t profess to know much. Others out there are more knowledgeable than me. Am willing to learn though.

ETA,

Someone corrected my late night comments.

Appreciated!

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:40:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Northrup-Grumman

Also, Norman Rockwell was a painter, not a Apollo mission contractor.  I think you mean Rockwell International, which was once Rocketdyne
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:46:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Northrup-Grumman

Also, Norman Rockwell was a painter, not a Apollo mission contractor.  I think you mean Rockwell International, which was once Rocketdyne
View Quote

I think that you are right!

I hate gettin` old. Details get fuzzy.

Thank you for helping me!

Don`t know why I listed Norman Rockwell......I will beat my fingers with a 48 OZ. hammer, into submission the next time that they disobey my hunt and peck commands.

BTW, Rockwell was what I was trying to remember.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:55:03 AM EDT
[#21]
So when did JPL or MT come "on the stage"?

Are they still around?

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:00:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
That was before my time.  I do remember very clearly though my mother telling me to get out the door or I will miss the bus to school.  I remember arguing with her that the shuttle was about to launch in a few minutes and I wanted to see.  She agreed to drive me to school so I could watch.  Then it blew up.  
View Quote

We had no school that day because of snow.  I watched it.  Still remember it clearly as well as President Reagan's speech that  night.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:05:18 AM EDT
[#23]
So is it true that we went to the moon on an IBM 286 computer?

Coming back to earth, ( Hollywoooooooooooooooooooooooooooood! ) Did the guys in the capsule actually have to do a manual re-entry?

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:47:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
That last photo.

Gives me chills looking at it. Can you imagine being the guy that earned the trip & his feelings, on top of that rocket?

Were those photos taken with a Polaroid?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That last photo.

Gives me chills looking at it. Can you imagine being the guy that earned the trip & his feelings, on top of that rocket?

Were those photos taken with a Polaroid?

My dad took those with his Minolta SRT101 which he still has. We were pretty poor back then, but dad got a second job that is why Apollo 11 was on a small B&W tv and Apollo 14 was on a larger color tv. I remember watching the TV transfixed in awe because it was in color and it was a rocket to the moon.

ETA - on the bluray "In the Shadow of the Moon" there is audio for this part of the JFK moon speech. When they played it over the backdrop of the assembly of the Saturn V it gave chills up the spine.

"But if I were to say, my fellow citizens, that we shall send to the moon, 240,000 miles away from the control station in Houston, a giant rocket more than 300 feet tall, the length of this football field, made of new metal alloys, some of which have not yet been invented, capable of standing heat and stresses several times more than have ever been experienced, fitted together with a precision better than the finest watch, carrying all the equipment needed for propulsion, guidance, control, communications, food and survival, on an untried mission, to an unknown celestial body, and then return it safely to earth, re-entering the atmosphere at speeds of over 25,000 miles per hour, causing heat about half that of the temperature of the sun--almost as hot as it is here today--and do all this, and do it right, and do it first before this decade is out--then we must be bold."

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:55:19 AM EDT
[#25]
we had a pretty new sears admiral 25" color TV in 1969 yet
the old man still got the Sams Photofacts for it and a bunch of spare tubes.
seems like he was always replacing a tube in that thing through the mid-late 70s too,
watched the  apollo 11 landing on that thing. and a couple later launches.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:24:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't remember it but my mom says we watched it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:41:17 AM EDT
[#27]
I remember my parents waking us up to watch the televised missions. I also remember watching the Vietnam war footage on the news and hearing the daily body counts.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:51:46 AM EDT
[#28]
I was in second grade when the Russians sent Sputnik into orbit and a sophomore in college when Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon.   Watched them and everything in between.

But . . . there were only three channels back then . . . what else were you gonna watch.

dp
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 5:51:56 AM EDT
[#29]
WOW
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:41:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:44:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Know what that was for?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Know what that was for?

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 6:52:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:02:26 AM EDT
[#33]
I think I watched every Gemini launch. The space program was one of my hobbies as a child in the '60s
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So is it true that we went to the moon on an IBM 286 computer?

Coming back to earth, ( Hollywoooooooooooooooooooooooooooood! ) Did the guys in the capsule actually have to do a manual re-entry?

View Quote

Much much slower than a 286. 286s came out in the early 80's. The computers used on Apollo were 2.048 MHz
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:36:00 AM EDT
[#35]
I wish I could have watched it all live.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:52:44 AM EDT
[#36]
I watched the last manned Saturn V launch with my Dad and Uncle in 1972 on our old Zenith TV. About a year later we watched the last Saturn V take Skylab into space which was an unmanned mission I believe.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Watched them all.  A few years ago I got to work with a moon walker and had a couple of interesting conversations with him.

SRM
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Shuttle launch maybe?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I watched them all on TV... except for the one I watched from the grass in front of the VAB.

Shuttle launch maybe?

No sir. 7.5 million pounds of thrust unleashed that day. A relative got us a pass, and on a later visit he took us around to see stuff like the firing rooms, VAB low bays, and other stuff that a space-rabid kid would eat up.

I ate it up!  :)
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Apollo was before my time.  I watched a bunch of shuttle launches on TV, and one night launch in person.  It was incredible, I can only imagine how much more impressive a Saturn V would have been.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:21:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I watched the last manned Saturn V launch with my Dad and Uncle in 1972 on our old Zenith TV. About a year later we watched the last Saturn V take Skylab into space which was an unmanned mission I believe.
View Quote

Yep, the Skylab and Apollo-Soyuz crews used Saturn 1Bs to get to orbit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Watched several of the Apollo mission lift-offs from the Launch Control Center between 1966 and 1971.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Yup, I did. Had all the cool toy rockets too. Lol!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Watched them all.  A few years ago I got to work with a moon walker and had a couple of interesting conversations with him.

SRM
View Quote

Very cool! Anything you can share?

And at your avatar!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:01:13 AM EDT
[#44]
My uncle was an engineer working for NASA from Mercury through Soyuz on telemetry projects. He lived in Cocoa Beach, and owned a apartment complex that my grandmother managed. During the late 60s - early 70s I spent a good deal of time there and watched a good number of Apollo mission launches. A fair number of foreign press stayed at the complex; they were pretty cool - giving me press kits and anything else the didn't want. I amassed a shit ton of amazing stuff and got  into places I normally couldn't.

Between that and my uncles access I had a privileged I never realized until latter in life. I met a lot of the guys in the program, launch control team, astronauts, press - I wish I would have been older and more aware of the uniquely important historic nature of the events I witnessed.  I'm not sure I appreciate it enough now.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
So when did JPL or MT come "on the stage"?

Are they still around?  
View Quote

JPL was started in 1936, when they were researching the new concept of jet engines.  In WWII it became an Army facility.  On 1954 JPL became a NACA facility and transitioned to NASA when NASA was created.  JPL was part of the Apollo program, working with Werner von Braun's team in Huntsville.

MT?

If you mean MIT they've been around since just after the Civil War.  In WWI MIT became associated with the US Navy's aviation program.   In WWII MIT was part of the Manhattan Project and the development of radar.  MIT has been part of US space and missile programs since the beginning.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:05:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Apollo 11 lunar landing was two days before my 11th birthday.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#48]
I remember those days very well. Watching the first foot step on the lunar surface was awesome. The funny  hop they used to get around. Then the mission that they first used the lunar rover was cool too.
Now NASA's mission is "Muslim outreach". FBHO!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#49]
We had a console color TV that died just before the Apollo 11 mission, so we watched it on the portable 12 inch color TV we had on a cart.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Yes, I was hooked since the Mercury launch.  The Apollo missions had me glued to the little black and white TV screen!
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top