BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Every one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Lived in Titusville, FL at the time, used to watch the Apollo launches from my yard. Awesome!!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
JPL was started in 1936, when they were researching the new concept of jet engines.  In WWII it became an Army facility.  On 1954 JPL became a NACA facility and transitioned to NASA when NASA was created.  JPL was part of the Apollo program, working with Werner von Braun's team in Huntsville.

MT?

If you mean MIT they've been around since just after the Civil War.  In WWI MIT became associated with the US Navy's aviation program.   In WWII MIT was part of the Manhattan Project and the development of radar.  MIT has been part of US space and missile programs since the beginning.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So when did JPL or MT come "on the stage"?

Are they still around?  

JPL was started in 1936, when they were researching the new concept of jet engines.  In WWII it became an Army facility.  On 1954 JPL became a NACA facility and transitioned to NASA when NASA was created.  JPL was part of the Apollo program, working with Werner von Braun's team in Huntsville.

MT?

If you mean MIT they've been around since just after the Civil War.  In WWI MIT became associated with the US Navy's aviation program.   In WWII MIT was part of the Manhattan Project and the development of radar.  MIT has been part of US space and missile programs since the beginning.

My uncle worked on telemetry and software programs with NASA. We've discussed this quite a bit as he tried to get me interested in programming in high school and college. Wasnt my thing but I dig the history he was involved in.

The AGC - the Apollo guidance and nav computer - was developed by whats now known as Draper Labs (they still develop controls and instrumentation but they've been a separate non-profit company since the early/mid 70s) - Raytheon (one of the places my uncle was involved) was primary manufacturer. Much of the software development work was done on Honeywell mincomps. IBM was involved in certain aspects of data and communication as was RCA.

Whoever asked about the "286 computer" - hell the 80286 would have been light years ahead of anything NASA or anyone had at the time. The AGC was a proprietary construct - everything about it compares poorly to anything we have today, or even a decade later. Computers at the time were volatile and temperamental - everybody take for granted that Windows is going to open and everything's going to operate smoothly. Wasn't the case back then - shit crashed often and hard, software and systems development where new and learned on the fly, it was really the wild west compared to today.

AGC was pretty robust from an operational and physical standpoint. It wasnt cutting edge but it worked - which is important when your   Its op instructions in ROM used rope core memory, its memory (about 4kb), 2kb of RAM  and computational power was extremely linted compared to stuff even in the early 80's. Pretty amazing what they did. The old saw about  SR-71 being developed with slide rules is hard for us to conceive , but the systems that were designed and put in place were much more complicated and wasnt that far removed frmo the processes of those slightly older aerospace programs.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Apollo 11 was 6 months before I was born. I've always wished I could have seen them.

I have seen a few shuttle launches, including Columbia exploding as me and my friends watched from outside of our classroom.

A buddy of mine saw a few from the Cape, he can still remember the sound and feeling of those launches.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 2:11:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I was born in 62.  Yes, I was very interested in all the missions.  My grandmother was an executive assistant at Lockheed, and she sent me photos, including a poster sized one from the first landing.  She had access to a lot of cool things from the missions.  That was on my bedroom wall for years.  Several of my closest friends ended up working at or for NASA.

Of course I built the Saturn V model, and other models of the lander.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#6]
The USA shifted priorities from developing technology to developing social programs.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That was before my time.  I do remember very clearly though my mother telling me to get out the door or I will miss the bus to school.  I remember arguing with her that the shuttle was about to launch in a few minutes and I wanted to see.  She agreed to drive me to school so I could watch.  Then it blew up.  
View Quote

I was in high school (accounting class) whennit happened. I spent the rest of the day in the library wherre they had a TV set up to watch the news.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I was born in 1960, my Dad and I followed the program closely.
What an exciting time it was!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sure did, watched them in school too.
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#11]

My Dad worked for NASA at the time, so yeah, we were glued to the set.

Since we lived on the West coast, the whole family would get up early to watch the launches and my mom always had coffee, hot chocolate, and fresh cinnamon rolls made for us before the final count down. It was a big event anytime a rocket launched; not only in our house but across the country as well. I feel very fortunate I was just old enough to remember it all today. I have a lot of pride in my Father and in our country for what we were able to accomplish.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Color camera on the second landing on is why my parents got a color TV.

Oh yes, I remember watching the USA spending 10% of the federal budget on the coolest thing to happen in my lifetime.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#13]

As a kid?

Hell I was a young adult!

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

MT?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are they still around?  

MT?

I had no idea at all that JPL had been around for that amount of time. Wow!

MT= Morton Thiokol.

Thanks for that information. This thread has taught me many things that I did not know. Good to see knowledgeable folks showing up in this one to help!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My uncle worked on telemetry and software programs with NASA. We've discussed this quite a bit as he tried to get me interested in programming in high school and college. Wasnt my thing but I dig the history he was involved in.

The AGC - the Apollo guidance and nav computer - was developed by whats now known as Draper Labs (they still develop controls and instrumentation but they've been a separate non-profit company since the early/mid 70s) - Raytheon (one of the places my uncle was involved) was primary manufacturer. Much of the software development work was done on Honeywell mincomps. IBM was involved in certain aspects of data and communication as was RCA.

Whoever asked about the "286 computer" - hell the 80286 would have been light years ahead of anything NASA or anyone had at the time. The AGC was a proprietary construct - everything about it compares poorly to anything we have today, or even a decade later. Computers at the time were volatile and temperamental - everybody take for granted that Windows is going to open and everything's going to operate smoothly. Wasn't the case back then - shit crashed often and hard, software and systems development where new and learned on the fly, it was really the wild west compared to today.

AGC was pretty robust from an operational and physical standpoint. It wasnt cutting edge but it worked - which is important when your   Its op instructions in ROM used rope core memory, its memory (about 4kb), 2kb of RAM  and computational power was extremely linted compared to stuff even in the early 80's. Pretty amazing what they did. The old saw about  SR-71 being developed with slide rules is hard for us to conceive , but the systems that were designed and put in place were much more complicated and wasnt that far removed frmo the processes of those slightly older aerospace programs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are they still around?  

MT?

Was that the same thing as magnetic core memory?

Thanks for commenting!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:02:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The USA shifted priorities from developing technology to developing social programs.  
View Quote

What you say, is sad. But true.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:08:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was born in 1960, my Dad and I followed the program closely.
What an exciting time it was!
View Quote

You have me beat by 5 years. Not sure if that is good or bad. Good, that we saw much history being made by creative folks who were smart and weren`t "handed" a degree.
Bad, that the years are flying by faster, in our age group.

My Dad and I also, enjoyed the space program.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:13:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My Dad worked for NASA at the time, so yeah, we were glued to the set.

Since we lived on the West coast, the whole family would get up early to watch the launches and my mom always had coffee, hot chocolate, and fresh cinnamon rolls made for us before the final count down. It was a big event anytime a rocket launched; not only in our house but across the country as well. I feel very fortunate I was just old enough to remember it all today. I have a lot of pride in my Father and in our country for what we were able to accomplish.
View Quote

I am sure that you hold those memories close to your heart, to this day. Sounds like your Mom was a super lady! I can almost smell those cinnamon rolls even now!

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Yup, watched the Apollo 11 moon landing live on TV.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The days of Space Food Sticks and Tang
View Quote

Ya. I kept talking my mom into buying different flavors of Space Food Sticks... They all sucked.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:32:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I was a child of the '60's. I grew up on the space program. I wanted to be an astronaut....this is why you never want to be able to see into the future. I would have been so disappointed in myself.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:42:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Ya. I kept talking my mom into buying different flavors of Space Food Sticks... They all sucked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had Tang a few times. Never tried the Space Food Sticks though.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:44:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had Tang (grapefruit flavor was my fave) and Space Food Sticks growing up.  They were kind of like long, soft Tootsie Rolls.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was a child of the '60's. I grew up on the space program. I wanted to be an astronaut....this is why you never want to be able to see into the future. I would have been so disappointed in myself.
View Quote

I don`t think that being an astronaut would be disappointing. Few have made it to be called one. Good folks.

The fact that the space program went another direction, disappoints me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:49:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I had Tang (grapefruit flavor was my fave) and Space Food Sticks growing up.  They were kind of like long, soft Tootsie Rolls.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Orange flavored was mine.

I kind of wonder if those Space Food Sticks were like the early day version of an MRE?

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Heck yeah. Every  patriotic American who had TV did.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Heck yeah. Every  patriotic American who had TV did.
View Quote

I miss the old days my friend. I really do.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

It straight up broke my heart.
We could be on Mars or mining the Asteroid belt right now if we wanted.
But at this time, the US can't even put an astronaut in orbit without the Russians.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I remember Apollo 17, but just barely....
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:33:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

But at this time, the US can't even put an astronaut in orbit without the Russians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some bean counter somewhere in .gov.......

"We need more money from the taxpayers to fund the FSA."

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I can remember back to the Gemini missions...then the Saturn 5.... WOW
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I kind of wonder if those Space Food Sticks were like the early day version of an MRE?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Without a doubt.  They were individually packaged in a foil-lined wrapper.  I wasn't old enough to be in the Boy Scouts at the time but I'm sure I could have packed nothing but Tang and Space Food Sticks and got along just fine.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I can remember back to the Gemini missions...then the Saturn 5.... WOW
View Quote

Was a whole different world back then wasn`t it?

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:45:15 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Thanks for commenting!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are they still around?  

MT?

Thanks for commenting!

Yes and no - http://hackaday.com/2013/10/09/making-a-core-rope-read-only-memory/

I always wanted to make some. Memory was actually woven, so instructions were created by the physical construction of the 'weave".

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#36]

My Mom and Dad used to get me and my brothers up early to watch the launches.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yes and no - http://hackaday.com/2013/10/09/making-a-core-rope-read-only-memory/

I always wanted to make some. Memory was actually woven, so instructions were created by the physical construction of the 'weave".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are they still around?  

MT?

Thanks for commenting!

The number of cores to create the memory needed, was something that we touched on in tech school.

They didn`t go into too much detail but it was an interesting subject.

ROM and RAM were covered but I don`t remember all of the details. Been awhile.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#38]
LOL   the 8086  was way after the launches too...   I watched the first ones in black and white.  Then color TV
came out and wow !!!  
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Sure did, watched them in school too.
View Quote
Same here.

Watched the 1st moon landing at school.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:06:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Great days for our country. A time when even Democrats loved this country. Unfortunately, I was born 3 months and 3 days after Neil and Buzz walked on the moon.
Growing up I wrote NASA several times with questions and got some cool shit in return.
Now you can buy the manuals for the LM & CSM from Periscope Films.
I also have a collection of plastic models of the manned Spaceflight programs waiting for me to start.
The Internet can keep a space buff occupied for weeks.
I hope someday we return to a time like that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#41]
... Bizarre, a GD thread in which everyone seems to be on the same page!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:12:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't jinx it!
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:14:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:14:55 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Great days for our country. A time when even Democrats loved this country. Unfortunately, I was born 3 months and 3 days after Neil and Buzz walked on the moon.

Growing up I wrote NASA several times with questions and got some cool shit in return.

Now you can buy the manuals for the LM & CSM from Periscope Films.

I also have a collection of plastic models of the manned Spaceflight programs waiting for me to start.

The Internet can keep a space buff occupied for weeks.

I hope someday we return to a time like that.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote
I hope so too, but I wouldn't bank on it.  People these days seem to have a hard time separating fact from fantasy due to all of the computer games and virtual reality SciFi movies.  Their mindset will be "what took us so long", not "look what we did".  

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
It's because we're all old farts.  

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I watched Shepard and Glenn launch and recover, and went outside at night to watch the earliest satellites pass overhead.

View Quote
I spent many hours laying on a blanket in the backyard looking for satellites when I was young.

Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:40:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe all of us here, have enough respect for others, and are mature enough, to try to help.....rather than bash.

This has been a good subject and I appreciate all of the folks who have stopped in and contributed to a subject that I and others, enjoyed.

I have learned a lot over the last couple of days. If it wasn`t for other knowledgeable folks in this same field, I wouldn't have learned anything.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 11:57:00 PM EDT
[#48]
I was in my third year in the USAF assigned in England at the time of the moon landing. Somewhere around the house I still have a copy of the front page of the London Times with its story on the landing.

A few years earlier in high school I was in a Rocket Club making model rockets. Our club sponsor, a HS math teacher, tried to arrange a tour for us of the McDonnell Douglas facility in St. Louis where they made the space capsules. Unfortunately McDonnell didn't have time for us as they were too busy transitioning from making Mercury capsules to making Gemini capsules.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:02:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I watched Shepard and Glenn launch and recover, and went outside at night to watch the earliest satellites pass overhead.

The high school had televisions set up in the gyms so we could watch Armstrong.  We watched Shuttle launches at work until the Challenger disaster.

View Quote

We watched the shuttle launches in HS for awhile.

Link Posted: 4/20/2015 12:02:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Hard to be a boy in the 60s and miss it!

Was a man in Moscow when they officially admitted it to the Soviet people there - it was in 1990, give or take.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top