BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:34:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Docs and nurses have heavy foots, and always an excuse to boot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No cell phone?

Frankly, I wouldnt arrest her. Just leave her with the ticket and be done with it.

This.  It sounds like he suffered from contempt of cop.  Doing that under the circumstances described in the article would not go well for someone at my agency.  Especially for felony fleeing; assuming they have misdemeanor and felony like we do in KY.  That doesn't even rise to the level of misdemeanor here.

I did find this funny though.  

"Good, who reportedly has no prior criminal record, said as a nurse, she is accustomed to following rules.  'I follow rules every day or people could get hurt," she said.'"

Except for speed limits.  Those rules don't count.

My wife did hospice for a bit.

A lot of times after hours, if she was on the road, it was on the way to someone actively dying, or in distress.

She would get called out in the middle of the night, by herself, to places we won't dispatch to after hours.

Some asshole decided to ticket her for a rolling stop at a dimly lit intersection/ Stop sign at 2 am in Ensley.
Then gave her crap for continuing on to a well lit parking lot, to stop.

I wouldn't even have slowed down in that area for a traffic signal at that hour.

Hell, I might have made Hoover before I pulled over.....

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to work not far from Portage.  Those county roads are dark, and don't have shoulders.

She did the right thing-and what many travel guides and LE agencies suggest people do-continue until a safe place.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:36:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

She would get called out in the middle of the night, by herself, to places we won't dispatch to after hours.

Some asshole decided to ticket her for a rolling stop at a dimly lit intersection/ Stop sign at 2 am in Ensley.

I wouldn't even have slowed down in that area for a traffic signal at that hour.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No cell phone?

Frankly, I wouldnt arrest her. Just leave her with the ticket and be done with it.

This.  It sounds like he suffered from contempt of cop.  Doing that under the circumstances described in the article would not go well for someone at my agency.  Especially for felony fleeing; assuming they have misdemeanor and felony like we do in KY.  That doesn't even rise to the level of misdemeanor here.

"Good, who reportedly has no prior criminal record, said as a nurse, she is accustomed to following rules.  'I follow rules every day or people could get hurt," she said.'"

I have stopped a few for doing "california stops" at 2 or 3 am.

"Sorry Officer, I got called in!"
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:37:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What she did has actually been suggested by police over the years when citizens fear they are being pulled over by a police impersonator.

They are going to have a hard time issuing advice and then arresting someone for following that advice.

She's going to be rich.
View Quote

Advice is a little different than law, right?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have told my wife not to pull over on a dark stretch of road as well, but to continue on to the closest well-lit, safe location. If she gets arrested I will land on the department with a team of lawyers. We also both have external/internal dash cams. It wasn't too long ago here in San Diego that a cop was arrested for multiple rapes, murders and attempted murders.
View Quote

LOL, and what exactly is your team of lawyers going to do?  I'm glad you have the dash cams to prove her guilt showing that she did not immediately stop for the officers.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:39:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Did she not stop?

Did she try to evade?

Did where she stopped put the cop a more risk?

Where did she prevent him from enforcing society's laws?

So, yes she has a right to safety and part 2 is irrelevant unless you need your authority respected to feel important.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is her right to safety trumped by societies requirement to enforce it's laws?

Did she not stop?

Did she try to evade?

Did where she stopped put the cop a more risk?

Where did she prevent him from enforcing society's laws?

So, yes she has a right to safety and part 2 is irrelevant unless you need your authority respected to feel important.

She did not respect his auuthorrity.  BTDT  They better have good brakes when they light me up.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:39:23 PM EDT
[#7]
For quite a few months here local, police advised women driving alone not to pull over on back roads. There was an LE imposter with a blue light on his dash pulling women over and attacking them.

It was advised to dial 911 and drive to a well lit location with witnesses. After that  news story and LE statement, the attacks stopped.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Porter County Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Larry LaFlower said, "The sheriff's office supports our officer's decision in this matter."
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What she did has actually been suggested by police over the years when citizens fear they are being pulled over by a police impersonator.

They are going to have a hard time issuing advice and then arresting someone for following that advice.

She's going to be rich.

So law says you need to pull over in 100 ' ?

Or does it say  200' ?

Or does it say when it safe to do so ?

Please cite law and inform us  ...

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:51:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I remember the last thread we had like this.

Some douche basically stated if you didn't pull over the nanosecond he cut on his lights, you deserved whatever you got.

He was the one who determined the safest place to stop, and that was wherever he initiated the encounter.

If you drove a block past that, you needed to pepper your angus.

He also stated LE never initiates a stop in a place that would be unsafe to park.

Who was that.....?
View Quote

I remember the thread but cannot remember the dick you mention.  He kept going on and on about "how you don't control the stop" and something along the lines of "accepting the consequences of your actions".  Which was a lame attempt at a veiled threat.  

I've told me wife to attempt to find a populated and lit place to pull over.  FFS, it used to be a public safety message from the PDs themselves.

IMO, this woman did nothing wrong.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:53:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Or does it say  200' ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She's going to be rich.

Or does it say  200' ?

Indiana Code 9-21-8-35

Emergency vehicles; yield of right-of-way

Sec. 35. (a) Upon the immediate approach of an authorized
emergency vehicle
, when the person who drives the authorized
emergency vehicle is giving audible signal by siren or displaying
alternately flashing red, red and white, or red and blue lights, a
person who drives another vehicle shall do the following unless
otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer:

(1) Yield the right-of-way.
(2) Immediately drive to a position parallel to and as close as
possible to the right-hand edge or curb of the highway clear of
any intersection.
(3) Stop and remain in the position until the authorized
emergency vehicle has passed
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Or does it say  200' ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She's going to be rich.

Or does it say  200' ?

Forgive me it took a minute, I am not totally up on Indiana codes.

IC 9-21-8-35
    Sec. 35. (a) Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle, when the person who drives the authorized emergency vehicle is giving audible signal by siren or displaying alternately flashing red, red and white, or red and blue lights, a person who drives another vehicle shall do the following unless otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer:
       (2) Immediately drive to a position parallel to and as close as possible to the right-hand edge or curb of the highway clear of any intersection.

I put the relevant part in bold, so you can see it better.  Consider yourself informed.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:57:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Only people with control issues would have a problem with an old white lady stopping where there is a light.

And to those saying police intend for you to pull over immediately, I call BS.

I used to drive an old beat up f150 and the first week I had it I didn't have a tag, got pulled over by birmingham in a very bad area on a dark road. I knew there was a shopping center coming up, but it was a mile or so. There was one streetlight within sight, so I pulled over immediately when they lit me up, directly off a sharp, unfinished curb. It dropped about 6 inches onto a rocky shoulder and the cops thought about following, but there was nowhere to stop, their crown vic would have hung itself up, so they pulled alongside, asked why I didn't have a license plate, and continued on their merry little way.

I honestly don't know where they wanted me to stop, but it was not where they lit me up, I guarantee.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:59:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:01:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I put the relevant part in bold, so you can see it better.  Consider yourself informed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She's going to be rich.

Or does it say  200' ?

IC 9-21-8-35
    Sec. 35. (a) Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle, when the person who drives the authorized emergency vehicle is giving audible signal by siren or displaying alternately flashing red, red and white, or red and blue lights, a person who drives another vehicle shall do the following unless otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer:
       (2) Immediately drive to a position parallel to and as close as possible to the right-hand edge or curb of the highway clear of any intersection.

that is for passing coded (lights/siren) emergency vehicles, try again.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:02:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's the reason for years that the New York State Police only used marked cars doing traffic enforcement, then last year they bought unmarked SUVs to try to catch people texting so fuck that public safety bullshit, they got quotas to make  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For quite a few months here local, police advised women driving alone not to pull over on back roads. There was an LE imposter with a blue light on his dash pulling women over and attacking them.

It was advised to dial 911 and drive to a well lit location with witnesses. After that  news story and LE statement, the attacks stopped.
That's the reason for years that the New York State Police only used marked cars doing traffic enforcement, then last year they bought unmarked SUVs to try to catch people texting so fuck that public safety bullshit, they got quotas to make  

Gotta make money somehow.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:02:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have told my wife not to pull over on a dark stretch of road as well, but to continue on to the closest well-lit, safe location. If she gets arrested I will land on the department with a team of lawyers. We also both have external/internal dash cams. It wasn't too long ago here in San Diego that a cop was arrested for multiple rapes, murders and attempted murders.
View Quote

And not calling 911?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:03:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

LOL, and what exactly is your team of lawyers going to do?  I'm glad you have the dash cams to prove her guilt showing that she did not immediately stop for the officers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly I don't know. I'm not a lawyer. That's what I would be paying them to figure out. If there was a way out and a way to sue.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:04:18 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Hmm nope, that's not how it is written, you try again
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:04:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

The law doesn't make a distinction between "passing" vehicles and vehicles attempt to pull over a car. The officer was in an emergency vehicle with lights and siren.

The law says you have to stop and pull over. Either the emergency vehicle is en-route and will pass you, or it's a cop pulling you over. Either way, you gotta stop.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:05:19 AM EDT
[#21]
She pulled over so what's the problem?  Cop has issues.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:08:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The law doesn't make a distinction between "passing" vehicles and vehicles attempt to pull over a car. The officer was in an emergency vehicle with lights and siren.

The law says you have to stop and pull over. Either the emergency vehicle is en-route and will pass you, or it's a cop pulling you over. Either way, you gotta stop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IC 9-21-8-35

right of way
noun
the legal right, established by usage or grant, to pass along a specific route through grounds or property belonging to another.
a path or thoroughfare subject to a right of way.
plural noun: rights of way
the legal right of a pedestrian, vehicle, or ship to proceed with precedence over others in a particular situation or place.
"he waves on other drivers, even when it's not their right of way"
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:08:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

See the state code quoted above.  She broke the traffic law.  Cops have this thing called "discretion."  To some cops, incidents like this would not cause them any stress and to others, they want to lawfully enforce that law and that is what he did.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:09:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:10:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:11:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Two sides to every story. I'm betting there's more to it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:13:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Two sides to every story. I'm betting there's more to it.
View Quote

get that logic and common sense crap outta here!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:13:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What so you think a jury is going to make of Dashcam footage that shows her put putting down an unlit rural road waving her arm and flashers blinking until she gets to the parking lot? You think when sergeant Hughes is forced to admit that he had publicly said said for people to drive to a lot area that Patrolman Marshall might be in for a jury dismissing the arrest in about 2 seconds followed by a non carer enhancing civil suit, that while not worth a lot of money ain't going to get him off third shift anytime soon?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What so you think a jury is going to make of Dashcam footage that shows her put putting down an unlit rural road waving her arm and flashers blinking until she gets to the parking lot? You think when sergeant Hughes is forced to admit that he had publicly said said for people to drive to a lot area that Patrolman Marshall might be in for a jury dismissing the arrest in about 2 seconds followed by a non carer enhancing civil suit, that while not worth a lot of money ain't going to get him off third shift anytime soon?  

The Sgt. in the article that said she used "good judgment" works for Portage police, the officer involved is a Porter County Sheriff's Deputy.  The Sgt. is from a totally different department.  What he thinks is "right" for his officers to do may not be the views of other departments.  I don't know why you would even bring that up.

If a prosecutor wants to take the case ok and if a jury finds no guilt that is what happens, but there is nothing they could civilly sue for.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

See the state code quoted above.  She broke the traffic law.  Cops have this thing called "discretion."  To some cops, incidents like this would not cause them any stress and to others, they want to lawfully enforce that law and that is what he did.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The law is bullshit because of situations like these. If someone is not in a good area then there should be no issue with proceeding a moderate distance to pull over at a safer location.

But, "the law is the law" as they say. And deputy power-trip decided he didn't want to use the discretion that most other deputies would have used.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:15:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Advantage, cat lady.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:16:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Ah yes, another isolated case of:

"RESPECT MY AUTHORITA"  
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:18:20 AM EDT
[#32]
I was once lit up on a narrow very short bridge. I slowed and pulled over as I crossed the bridge where there was a shoulder . I was told in no uncertain terms you pull over when you are told
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:23:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a thread last night (???) about an asshole Ohio State Trooper, was that you ?

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:24:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No cell phone?

Ensley AL is........interesting.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:26:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

There was a thread last night (???) about an asshole Ohio State Trooper, was that you ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, not a trooper.  Their wages are still stuck in 10 years ago.  Be careful with general bashing.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:27:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Policing in the south is.. interesting.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:28:54 AM EDT
[#37]
After Good refused to listen to how her actions put her and others in danger, Marshall said he arrested her.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:29:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I was once lit up on a narrow very short bridge. I slowed and pulled over as I crossed the bridge where there was a shoulder . I was told in no uncertain terms you pull over when you are told
View Quote

Darwin really is good for society.    

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:29:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:30:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

And why can't she sue him when she claims he roughed her up and hurt her arm for no reason? Not saying I would take it or that it's a new boat case, but lots of municipalities would pay after that not guilty verdict. Some lawyer needs a new riding lawn mower.
View Quote

I await the dashcam footage.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:32:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:33:48 AM EDT
[#42]
To some cops, incidents like this would not cause them any stress and to others, they want to lawfully enforce that law and that is what he did.

So for her actions, She's charged with a Felony????
The cop needs some soothing vagina lotion for his stress.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:36:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2012 Crime Rate Indexes
                           Ensley, AL 35218 Alabama United States
                                                        (State)     (Baseline average)
Total Crime Risk 179                       109          100
Murder Risk        175                       113           100
Rape Risk           164                       111           100
Robbery Risk      135                       106           100
Assault Risk        176                       100          100
Burglary Risk      167                       118           100
Larceny Risk       167                        88            100
Mot V Theft Risk 179                        93            100
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:36:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

<-- My surprised face.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:37:25 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Nope, not a trooper.  Their wages are still stuck in 10 years ago.  Be careful with general bashing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wasn't general about anything there ...  boss.

Thanks for looking out for my safety.

You be careful on narrow bridges.    

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:38:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

2012 Crime Rate Indexes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2012 Crime Rate Indexes

Birmingham.... not surprising.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:38:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:40:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You think the nurse is lying and it will show a puff of exhaust as she makes a break for it in her Toyota?

Sounds like the officer got pissed when she didn't say "yes sir!" To his lecture and he was going to let her go with just the speeding ticket until he got his respect mah authoritah thing going. Some guys just can't shrug, go back to the car, throw an obscured plate for the dealer frame and an obscured mirror for the air freshener on the mirror on top of the speeding ticket and go get coffee and hit up on the girls at the mini mart.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And why can't she sue him when she claims he roughed her up and hurt her arm for no reason? Not saying I would take it or that it's a new boat case, but lots of municipalities would pay after that not guilty verdict. Some lawyer needs a new riding lawn mower.

I await the dashcam footage.
You think the nurse is lying and it will show a puff of exhaust as she makes a break for it in her Toyota?

Sounds like the officer got pissed when she didn't say "yes sir!" To his lecture and he was going to let her go with just the speeding ticket until he got his respect mah authoritah thing going. Some guys just can't shrug, go back to the car, throw an obscured plate for the dealer frame and an obscured mirror for the air freshener on the mirror on top of the speeding ticket and go get coffee and hit up on the girls at the mini mart.  

Some nurses are drama queens. I worked with some for years.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:40:42 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

She did the correct thing for her safety.  Good on her.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 12:46:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
She did the correct thing for her safety.  Good on her.

And for the safety of the officer, More LEO's die from vehicular homicide / motor vehicle incidents than any other cause.
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top