Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
HERE is 5,000 rounds of it.

buy it and shut the fuck up..

View Quote

Yep.  Plenty for sale.  People just don't wanna pay market price.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whining, idiots!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If there was "plenty for sale", it would be on the shelves at my local stores. As I said in a previous post, it's been over 6 years since it sat on a shelf at Fleet Farm. They don't even have a spot on the shelf for it anymore, because in the rare instance that they get some, it's sold within a few minutes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder why Barnual or Tula are not in the 22lr US market?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lets watch this sale and see how much it goes for.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Have to disagree here:

1) People very much want to pay market price

2) Market price is what it sells for on retailers shelf's

3) Market price is not what Neckbeard's try and resell for

Market price varies from vendor to vendor, but one should never look at extreme variants as true valid price.

For example some car dealer marking up a special model at +20k over sticker. While some idiot may very well pay that, its not an indication of a valid market price, since most buyers would laugh in dealers face.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have to disagree here:   1) People very much want to pay market price

Market price varies from vendor to vendor, but one should never look at extreme variants as true valid price.
For example some car dealer marking up a special model at +20k over sticker. While some idiot may very well pay that, its not an indication of a valid market price, since most buyers would laugh in dealers face.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You don't understand market price.  Market price is what people will pay.  The issue is that retailers are not adjusting to the market.  It is very simple economics.  Market price is set by supply and demand, not some silly retailer.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your runaway train of douchiness has come completely off the rails as of late. I'm seriously surprised that you've lasted as long as you have here.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#11]
... my butt itches
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, a couple problems with that.  

1.)  Since it's off the local shelves, they are no longer "the" retailer.  
2.)  The places that seem to have stock for sale pretty much all seem to be online storefronts these days.  
3.)  Online storefronts are typically selling it around .09 CPR, before shipping.

That means .09 CPR is pretty much market value today.  The days of buying a crate of .22 down and the local Dry Goods store for the change you could find in your couch cushions is gone.  It is, more than likely, not coming back.  With the '08 panic, '12 panic, Sandy Hook panic, M855 panic (plus all the little panics in-between like Aurora, Naval Shooter, 7n6) and all the future panics, guns are going to keep coming off the shelves as is ammo.  This is the new normal unless a Republican manages to get into the White House in a couple years AND (and this is a big AND) that Republican does more than pay enough lip service to get elected.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:23:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You don't understand market price.  Market price is what people will pay.  The issue is that retailers are not adjusting to the market.  It is very simple economics.  Market price is set by supply and demand, not some silly retailer.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  MSRP well below market value results in perpetually bare shelves.  Casual shooters that haven't been able to buy a brick of 22 for years will snatch up anything they do manage to find, prolonging the shortage.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#14]
The problem is it's not just neckbeards hording anymore. When it reaches 5 or 6 cents a round, I intend to buy 5000. Many other folks are of that mindset, which is prolonging the panic.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The problem is it's not just neckbeards hording anymore. When it reaches 5 or 6 cents a round, I intend to buy 5000. Many other folks are of that mindset, which is prolonging the panic.
View Quote

Fuck. If I found a few bricks for under $30 I'd buy up a few as well. Just to shoot. Not hoard. I just want to shoot some 22...
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:34:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is not a problem.  That is called "demand".

Demand curves change for all kinds of reasons, physical, and philosophical.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Fuck. If I found a few bricks for under $30 I'd buy up a few as well. Just to shoot. Not hoard. I just want to shoot some 22...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep...same here. Just want to go shoot and not worry where my next fix is coming from.

RG
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:37:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why didn't you stock up when it was easy to find?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did. 7k plus but I shoot it until I can replace it. I shoot the few boxes I by here and there. But won't dip into the stash till this bs ends...
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

There's the vast majority of two years production in closets and on shelves. Most of it will never be shot.
View Quote

This,

billions of rounds in closets that will be thrown away when the purchaser dies of old age and someone has to get rid of all those evil bullets.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I did. 7k plus but I shoot it until I can replace it. I shoot the few boxes I by here and there. But won't dip into the stash till this bs ends...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, to me, that's the whole purpose of having a stash.  Is to shoot up until the bullshit ends.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Most of us have no desire to buy that much at a time. The only reason we're doing it is because it has been scarce for so long. I agree that the online retailers and Walmart should have jacked up their prices. It makes more sense for them, and would have prevented all of the arbitrage aka "neck bearding."

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 3:55:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Most of us have no desire to buy that much at a time. The only reason we're doing it is because it has been scarce for so long. I agree that the online retailers and Walmart should have jacked up their prices. It makes more sense for them, and would have prevented all of the arbitrage aka "neck bearding."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The creation of secondary markets (what you people call "neckbearding") is nothing new, and happens anytime demand is high, supply is low, and prices have not adjusted.  It is a natural part of the cycle.  It doesn't prolong anything.  The only thing that prolongs the supply problem is for supply to not keep up with demand.  Period.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Well, to me, that's the whole purpose of having a stash.  Is to shoot up until the bullshit ends.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.........but I'm coming to the end of that 10K stash. Probably 2 or 3k left. I'm on lock down, but it would kill me to have to cut the kids back.  Hell I'm to the point where it's more fun to be involved  with the fun they're having then for me to shoot.  Have not purchased any .22 in over 3 years now.

RG
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:04:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Lima, American Mall (The Andersons kept that mall open an additional 3-4 years... a tad overpriced on many items, but damn their adult beverage selection was AWESOME!)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The last time I bought .22LR was in 2003-2004 when our local "The Andersons" was getting out of guns and ammo.  All they had for bulk was Remington Thunderbolts. $0.99 per 50 or $9.89 for a brick of 500.  I asked for two bricks, when the sales associate handed them to me he said, "we're getting rid of all our guns and ammo and reducing the fishing dept by 50% as well."

I asked for ALL the Remington bricks, as well as the rest of their .22LR inventory.  I walked out of the store with a shopping cart 3/4 full with .22LR ammo.  The total haul was around 27,000 rounds of various .22LR (Mostly Remington Thunderbolts, some Yellow Jackets, Stingers, MiniMags, and CCI SV).  I didn't buy anything but LR, left all the shorts and magnums behind.

I've down to 3.5 bricks of Thunderbolt from that haul and have not seen .22LR on the retail shelves for a long time (not that I was looking for any until after the recent panic).

Currently I can load lead .45acp for the same 10cpr as .22LR, so I'll save my .22LR for the S.O. and any new shooters I need to introduce to the shooting scene.  

P.S.  Apparently the Thunderbolt .22LR made back then aren't near as bad as the new production Thunderbolts.

Northwood?

I took care of the last of their .223.

Lima, American Mall (The Andersons kept that mall open an additional 3-4 years... a tad overpriced on many items, but damn their adult beverage selection was AWESOME!)

Wow! I never knew the Anderson's had a store in Lima.

Neat!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I bought a bunch at $7.97 and $9.97.  Stopped after it went above $12.97 per bulk pack.

Hard to believe now it was at those prices less than 5 years ago (but more than two years ago!!)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I miss the Walmart Federal 550 round bulk packs for $8.87. Believe it or not that was actually in this century

I bought a bunch at $7.97 and $9.97.  Stopped after it went above $12.97 per bulk pack.

Hard to believe now it was at those prices less than 5 years ago (but more than two years ago!!)

$11.xx was the cheapest I remember
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Those bricks will be available at discount prices during estate sales in 5-10 years.  The neckbeards I have seen in the wild have all been people close to or well into their retirement years.  The last guy I saw had his wife drop him off out in front of the store so he could get a heard start in while she was parking.  A Korean War veteran...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's the vast majority of two years production in closets and on shelves. Most of it will never be shot.

But think of all the ammo forts that are being made with it.

Those bricks will be available at discount prices during estate sales in 5-10 years.  The neckbeards I have seen in the wild have all been people close to or well into their retirement years.  The last guy I saw had his wife drop him off out in front of the store so he could get a heard start in while she was parking.  A Korean War veteran...

At my local Wal-Mart, the "Breakfast Club" knows what days ammo comes in. There are 5-6 of them, and they take the folding beach chairs from sporting goods, and are sitting there with their coffee and muffins at 6:45 am.  All are over 55, only one has a job. Three are "on disability".  They get their 3 box maximum then talk about which Wal-Mart in which neighboring county they are going to drive to, next.

When I asked one if his home was under siege from an army of zombie squirrels, he swore he was getting the ammo for his kids to shoot, but he probably got 10-15 bricks a week at my local store.

All of them, except the one with the job, had beards that were not trimmed at the neck.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I bought my .22 LR CCI mimimags before this all started by just buying 3-5 plastic 100-round boxes whenever I happened to be in Walmart.   Little did I know what was coming regarding the .22 LR panic.   I would never have dreamed of the present situation.  

BUT, could anybody have foreseen this?  

View Quote

Years ago, on survivalist boards, there was a saying that after the great collapse, .22LR would be the new currency. Like you, I would occasionally pick up a brick whenever it was on sale, or whenever I saw some at a good price at a gun show.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

There's a lot of people in this thread saying there's money to be made cranking out .22.  I wish they'd put their money where their posts are and set up shop.  I'd love to eat some .22-flavored crow and get out shooting more.
View Quote
Are you trying to say it's technically unfeasible to raise the fucking price?

The actual worth of the .22lr is about twice what the price is when it shows up on the shelf.  Raise the fucking price, and the problem goes away in a matter of weeks.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Funny thing is, most of the whining bitches in this thread are just like the whining bitches in all of the panic-era stripped lower threads.

You bitch and whine because when what you wanted was available at a stupidly cheap price ($.05/rd .22,  $70 stripped lowers, etc,), you didn't want it.

When the inevitable happened and there was a panic/run/shortage, you swore you were on the way to the store to get a box full right when it happened, and those damned neckbeards/gougers/flippers fucked you over.

In reality, you didn't want it until you couldn't get it below MSRP.

Now that you can buy Anderson lowers for $40 because the market is flooded, no one bitches and no one buys.  The minute Obama creates another panic, you'll bitch and whine about having to pay $300 for a "POS Anderson that I coulda got for $40!"

22 WILL find it's way back to store shelves, and when it does, you'll run out and buy 5,000 rounds, then when it's still on the shelves, you'll shoot up the 5,000 rounds and not worry because "I can always grab more".
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Those of us used to the great ammo prices of the first decade of this century have to realize that there are way more shooters in the game then there were then...thus more demand for limited supply.

That's one of the reasons I went whole hog on 7N6...folks were paying .10+ per .22lr  and I was getting hooked up on a real rifle caliber at .12 per round...  it was a no brainer.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Funny thing is, most of the whining bitches in this thread are just like the whining bitches in all of the panic-era stripped lower threads.

You bitch and whine because when what you wanted was available at a stupidly cheap price ($.05/rd .22,  $70 stripped lowers, etc,), you didn't want it.

When the inevitable happened and there was a panic/run/shortage, you swore you were on the way to the store to get a box full right when it happened, and those damned neckbeards/gougers/flippers fucked you over.

Now that you can buy Anderson lowers for $40 because the market is flooded, no one bitches and no one buys.  The minute Obama creates another panic, you'll bitch and whine about having to pay $300 for a "POS Anderson that I coulda got for $40!"

22 WILL find it's way back to store shelves, and when it does, you'll run out and buy 5,000 rounds, then when it's still on the shelves, you'll shoot up the 5,000 rounds and not worry because "I can always grab more".
View Quote

yup...I've had people I know cry about ammo prices post sandy hook,  and once they came down I told them to buy, buy, buy...but of course at that point they felt the panic was over and there was no rush...   I of course said...yea...till the next panic.

dumbasses....
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

At my local Wal-Mart, the "Breakfast Club" knows what days ammo comes in. There are 5-6 of them, and they take the folding beach chairs from sporting goods, and are sitting there with their coffee and muffins at 6:45 am.  All are over 55, only one has a job. Three are "on disability".  They get their 3 box maximum then talk about which Wal-Mart in which neighboring county they are going to drive to, next.

When I asked one if his home was under siege from an army of zombie squirrels, he swore he was getting the ammo for his kids to shoot, but he probably got 10-15 bricks a week at my local store.

All of them, except the one with the job, had beards that were not trimmed at the neck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If my name was Walton I'd have every sporting goods manager put a brick out at random times throughout the day and let the Breakfast Club work on their  hemorrhoids.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#34]
A year ago, I was in Ottawa province in Canada. I went to Wal-Marts and Canadian Tire Center general stores, as well as a gun show in a small town.

The stores had plenty of .22LR.  Walk up the shelves and they had menu of ten different types/brands to choose from. They had 1,700 round "Bucket O Bullets," as well. All at reasonable prices. (At Wal-Mart they had them for the regular price, but in Canadian dollars, which would have made it about 5-10% cheaper.)

No neck beards, no empty shelves.

Same at the gun show. Even saw tables selling ziplock bags of 100 rounds of green polymer 7.62x39 and Canadian surplused 5.56mm each for $25 a bag.

No neckbeards, no empty shelves.

Except I could not buy any ammo, either at the store or the show.

I needed either a Firearms Acquisition or Firearms Owner License (FAL or FOL) or a letter from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police saying I was a tourist on a hunting trip and allowed to buy ammo (possibly limited to my particular firearms).
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The 2008 rush burned manufactures hard. Stores went empty right after the 2007 election. Manufacturing was ramped up. By mid 2009 the stores were full and nothing was moving. That leaves 2009 to Dec. 2012 without much happening. Then we get the big rush again, maybe even bigger.

I think the manufactures were cautious this go around and were slow to ramp up production.

All this is just my speculation...
View Quote

i do not agree. stock has never returned to pre 2008 levels. i just bought my first .22lr in 2+ years. 100 minimags for $8 bucks is all they would sell me. i will continue to shoot my stash as i see fit and refuse to pay as much/more than the cost to reload 9mm.

kiss my balls mr. neckbeard!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

If my name was Walton I'd have every sporting goods manager put a brick out at random times throughout the day and let the Breakfast Club work on their  hemorrhoids.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is annoying because anyone with a job to report to in the morning cannot spend 45-60 minutes getting to the store ahead of the Breakfast Club. And most of them are basically running a small business and not getting the profits offset from their "disability" checks.  Our taxes pay for them to have unlimited free time, and they are probably not reporting the income.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

But it doesn't exist. You can't buy the shit out of something that you can't find. The prices should have killed the neck beard pricing structure by now.

Is the profit margin too low on 22 long rifle to bother producing more?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's your problem:
Quoted:
When it comes back I'm buying it all and stacking it deep

But it doesn't exist. You can't buy the shit out of something that you can't find. The prices should have killed the neck beard pricing structure by now.

Is the profit margin too low on 22 long rifle to bother producing more?

My LGS never had a problem with having .22 in stock in store.

They also don't sell it online for just that reason.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never bought it as a stash. It was to train heavy for competition.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:44:51 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

It's barely selling anymore though.  Two years ago every listing would have bids, now most expire without a bid.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Go look on Gunbroker, there's 38 pages of ads for .22LR.  That tells you something.  Huge amounts of .22LR are being bought up for sale on the secondary market.

It's barely selling anymore though.  Two years ago every listing would have bids, now most expire without a bid.
That could be a good sign..

Could mean the fuckers that bought it all up, are now getting stick with the crap they paid 35-50.00 a brick, when it should be less than 20.00 Maybe if they are no longer profiting and sitting on .22 ammo forts, they'll slow up on buy every box they can find and get back to their Cheetos and Mountain Dew...

Then maybe the price will slowly slide back down...

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I have been able to find it in small quantities at some of the smaller gun shops...  With a decent markup, of course...
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#41]
All you guys complaining should be buying, right now, what is cheap.

1.  Anderson lowers
2.  PMAGs by the case
3.  Cheap Perfecta ammo if you live in the right spots
4.  Used Glocks in the FB gun boards.  (Bought a mint G32 for $450 yesterday).

Don't follow the leader.  Don't buy high and sell low.

Be your own.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I am a firm believer that if 22 ammo was profitable above other types ammo, ammo manufacturers would be making it available in the quantities the market is demanding.  
View Quote

I can't believe that back when I bought 550 rounds for 9 bucks, that Winchester was losing $60 on that box of ammo.  I don't know why they would take that loss.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

BUT... finding .22 online has been easy. Graf's has it, Sportsman Guide has it, Champion Shooters has it, Palmetto has it, all at reasonable prices.

Stop lurking the WalMarts and let your mouse do the shopping for you.
View Quote

i dont consider $50 for a brick reasonable.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:56:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm starting to wonder if some people in this thread are just too stupid to figure out how to shop online. Why would you cry about it "not being in the store" when with the wiki app you can buy thousands of rounds in 5 minutes? Who gives a fuck if it's "not in the store?" I bought some trailer guide-ons the other day, I had to buy them online because they didn't have any "in the store." i didn't start a thread crying about it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll be glad when it comes back so we won't have all these threads.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Your runaway train of douchiness has come completely off the rails as of late. I'm seriously surprised that you've lasted as long as you have here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

of course you are.. just like the neckbeards that are surprised that M855 is back down (not cheap, but certainly not .66/ea).. if you want 22lr, buy it, there's an absolute shit ton of it out there, if you don't want it at the current prices, then dont buy it.. but either way, I'm sick of hearing everyone bitch about the prices of things.  especially when they compare pricing to pre-sandyhook/obama..

buy it or dont, I dont care.. but I'm sick of hearing all the whining..

Quoted:

THIS (in a VERY BIG WAY)

Quoted:
I'm starting to wonder if some people in this thread are just too stupid to figure out how to shop online. Why would you cry about it "not being in the store" when with the wiki app you can buy thousands of rounds in 5 minutes? Who gives a fuck if it's "not in the store?" I bought some trailer guide-ons the other day, I had to buy them online because they didn't have any "in the store." i didn't start a thread crying about it.

AND THIS!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:00:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

The people bitching aren't really bitching about availability.  They're bitching about not being able to buy a case of .22 for a turnip and a silver ha' penny like in the old days.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
... my butt itches
View Quote

Ass hole?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'll be glad when it comes back so we won't have all these threads.
View Quote

Not me. The butthurt is a joy to read.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 5:27:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Those of us used to the great ammo prices of the first decade of this century have to realize that there are way more shooters in the game then there were then...thus more demand for limited supply.

That's one of the reasons I went whole hog on 7N6...folks were paying .10+ per .22lr  and I was getting hooked up on a real rifle caliber at .12 per round...  it was a no brainer.
View Quote

Yeah, when Century was blowing out 7n6 for $109 a can shipped in December 09' and the TGI Truck Guns were $399 I went full retard and got enough so me and my unborn children could shoot forever and never worry about ammo.

I bought a 6250 round case of Remington Golden Bullets at the Bass Pro Fall Hunting Classic in 2009 after the great 22 scare of 2008.  But going on 2 years without having a chance to replenish my stock means my stash is getting low.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top