BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:41:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Damn, you would never get to fly around here.  IIRC when I soloed it was 28kts, but only about 15 degrees from center line.

I ran out of rudder once on a landing, probably the only thing that ever scared me in training.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the most wind you would let a student solo a C172 in?  What is the most you would fly in?

Company policy is 15knots

The worst I have had to deal with was 30 knot crosswind in a DA20...not fun.

Damn, you would never get to fly around here.  IIRC when I soloed it was 28kts, but only about 15 degrees from center line.

I ran out of rudder once on a landing, probably the only thing that ever scared me in training.  

idk, when I was learning, way back in the day, I was checked out at 25kts direct in a 172. it was a fun day ;)
Then again, they really wanted us to FLY. When I went out the the airport, some days I couldn't see the top of the radio tower but we'd go up no matter the conditions. If we hit clouds below minimum, then we'd come back, otherwise, we went...
I sure learned a lot, and fast.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No questions here. Just a hearty kudos to you for enjoying your job. I'll bet you're good at it. My instructor was great. He solo'd me at 4-6 hours, and I got my PPL at 35.1 hours (Part 141 school). It was then that I began the process of really learning to fly. It's been years now since I last flew PIC (wife and kids came along, etc), but I'll never forget my instructor, nor will I forget those special times. I've got a good friend who's a 15 year NetJets captain, who keeps his CFI current. Any time I'm ready to resume flying... he'll be there to welcome me.
View Quote

How was that legal?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:50:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How was that legal?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No questions here. Just a hearty kudos to you for enjoying your job. I'll bet you're good at it. My instructor was great. He solo'd me at 4-6 hours, and I got my PPL at 35.1 hours (Part 141 school). It was then that I began the process of really learning to fly. It's been years now since I last flew PIC (wife and kids came along, etc), but I'll never forget my instructor, nor will I forget those special times. I've got a good friend who's a 15 year NetJets captain, who keeps his CFI current. Any time I'm ready to resume flying... he'll be there to welcome me.

How was that legal?

He was at a Part 141 school.  The flight time requirements are less than Part 61.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:54:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

He was at a Part 141 school.  The flight time requirements are less than Part 61.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How was that legal?

Ok, I never knew that.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:00:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Dick
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Would you get mad at me if I hovered by you while you are taxiing by?

Dick

heheh, just keep that damn egg beater on the other side of the ramp!

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Its a real easy way to spend tons of money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What are your opinions on ERAU's aerospace science degree?

Is there any other major you would reccomend?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:16:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:17:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:18:32 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife bought me a flight lesson.

Is she trying to kill me?

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:19:49 AM EDT
[#10]
How can I get my wife to fly with me? I mostly learned to fly from a WW2 B24 pilot and we used more than our 'fair share' (FBHO) of steep approaches which she cannot appreciate. Oh I also love to get a G or three wherever I can. She hates that too. Wait until I show her the Mach Loop footage! Hahaha!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:23:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Perhaps!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:59:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

She certainly doesn't want a divorce.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:09:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

like 40 grand a year
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://youtu.be/xfB9DjL-9Lg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Would you get mad at me if I hovered by you while you are taxiing by?

Dick

http://youtu.be/xfB9DjL-9Lg

If we got that close to that little plane, it would have been upside down and cartwheeling across the grass...
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:47:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Cessna 150/172/182

Diamond DA20/40/42

King Air E90
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you fly?

Cessna 150/172/182

Diamond DA20/40/42

King Air E90

How do the DA20s hold up to student training?  I watched the nosewheel shimmy and fall off of one at the airport I worked at.  
The 1970s Pipers with 13k hours did mostly OK.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 9:57:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How many hours does a private pilot flying around in 172s need to fly a month to be 'safe'?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
How many hours does a private pilot flying around in 172s need to fly a month to be 'safe'?

That really depends on the individual. I know many military instructor pilots who are unsafe and shouldn't be flying.... But to answer your question.. In my opinion, a couple hours a month and reviewing emergency procedures/systems on a regular basis.

What advice do you give prospective students on how to deal with irrational wives's fears of general aviation?

Alcohol.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How was that legal?

Roger that.

It's kind of funny, because my final check ride with the chief flight instructor a few days before my PP SEL checkride didn't go all that well. It was blustery outside, I was in a funk, and worst of all... the chief flight instructor was in a bad mood. So the ride was rough. He brow-beat me a bit and after the flight I found myself questioning if I should even continue pursuing my flying dreams. Up until that point I had lived, breathed, and been obsessed with flying. At any rate, my [great] instructor told me that I was ready to take the check ride and convinced me to go ahead and take it. Superbowl Sunday, January 26th, 1992. I aced all aspects of my check ride and was on top of the world thereafter. After the fact, I became a family friend of the FAA designated examiner and we've been friends ever since (I've played guitar in a band with his sister on and off for the past 20 years).

The point of my story... don't let one off day determine your decision to fly. Now a PATTERN... is different. I went to work for a company after I got my PPL who owned a Mooney 231 and also had a membership in a local flying club for a 172. So I got to fly myself around the region and build time in a complex aircraft. My boss was also a pilot, but he had a pattern of making "bold" decisions. He scared most of us employees with his decisions. Years after I left the company... he iced-up and killed himself and his salesman in that Mooney.  

NTSB Identification: SEA00FA039
The docket is stored in the Docket Management System (DMS). Please contact Records Management Division
Accident occurred Sunday, January 23, 2000 in PENDLETON, OR
Probable Cause Approval Date: 02/23/2001
Aircraft: Mooney M20K, registration: N251BD
Injuries: 2 Fatal.

NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

After landing to refuel, the pilot made an inadequate effort to remove airframe ice and snow, which had accumulated while on the ground before departing for his final destination. A witness (refueler) observed that about a half inch of somewhat moist snow had accumulated on the wings of the airplane prior to the time he fueled the airplane, necessitating brushing snow away from the fuel caps. The witness (refueler) stated that after wiping the snow off, there was still a covering of rough ice on the upper surface of the wing. During the fueling, he noticed that none of the ice on the wing had melted (ambient temperature at the time of the accident was minus 1 degree Celsius). The witness (refueler) also reported that after refueling the airplane, he looked at the right wing leading edge and pointed out some rough ice behind the area that the pilot had cleared, both on top and bottom of the wing. The pilot had rubbed his hand over the rough area, commenting that there wasn't enough ice to make any difference, before attempting his takeoff. The airplane crashed within two miles of the airport. The pilot's last radio communication received was that he was 'going down.' Post-crash examination of the engine revealed no evidence of pre-impact malfunction.

The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

The pilot's failure to adequately remove ice and snow from the airplane. A contributing factor was the pilot's inability to maintain control during climb due to degradation of the airplane's aerodynamic performance.

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have  a Commercial Licence with Multi Land, Single Land and sea, and Instrument ratings. I haven't flown in 25 years. How much of a refresher do you think I would need to pass a Biennial?
View Quote

Depends on you... Depends on the instructor you hire. A lot don't give a rip and would pretty much sign you off now. And as I mentioned above, some pilots are NEVER safe, no matter their recency.

Out of the game for 25 years, I'd say as long as you remember up from down and came in knowing your general knowledge, getting you back up to speed on single engine: 5hrs, instrument: 10hrs: multi-engine: as much as 15-25hrs. A lot of guys would sign you off with much lower, and there are no specific requirements since you are already certified, but off the top of my head that is what I would expect.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you are a millionaire, it's great. If not, go elsewhere. If I had to do it again, I'd go to UND and major in Aviation Management or Maintenance and get my ratings in the summers at ALLATPs, or some other fastback course. UND is a cheap school and you still get the 'UND stank' on you without paying for their ridiculous flying fees. (I know, because that's what I did) see edit below

But as I tell everyone, the only right way to get into aviation these days is through the military. Fly for guard, reserve or even active duty. You get nearly all your ratings for nothing and don't need to live in poverty for 10 years while owing 100+k in student loans. You can do it the 100% civilian way! but it's a rough start to the career...

ETA.... Things have kind of changed since I went through. These days and actual aviation degree might actually be worth it. Now you need 1500hrs to get hired at a regional. That's a LOT for a new guy. Most aviation universities and some 141 schools have an exemption that allows you to get hired with 750hrs. I'd still go the military route (guard) for your ratings, but it's up to you to decide if the university is worth the$.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#20]
If you move the CG aft will the plane fly faster?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Do you have at least a 50% ratio of civil vs combat time??? Ever have bullet holes in your aircraft? Ever reign terror on America's enemies?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

A localizer antenna broadcasts two 'lobe shaped' signals that overlap, one 90hz (or whatever) and the other, 135hz... The 90 on your left and the 135 on the right... (Numbers/units may be wrong, but you get the idea) They are calibrated for the average of the two signals to be centerline. Your localizer receiver seeks the middle of these signals, which I mentioned is course centerline. The same localizer antenna broadcasts the same lobes in the other direction, (now the 90 on the right and 135 on the left if you are looking at the runway from the other direction) this is known as the back course. If one were to fly toward the runway on the back course, the localizer signals are on the opposite side now, so you have reverse sensing.

It's been over a decade since I have explained it, but that's the jist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, I'm still waiting for the Reverse Sensing explanation...

A localizer antenna broadcasts two 'lobe shaped' signals that overlap, one 90hz (or whatever) and the other, 135hz... The 90 on your left and the 135 on the right... (Numbers/units may be wrong, but you get the idea) They are calibrated for the average of the two signals to be centerline. Your localizer receiver seeks the middle of these signals, which I mentioned is course centerline. The same localizer antenna broadcasts the same lobes in the other direction, (now the 90 on the right and 135 on the left if you are looking at the runway from the other direction) this is known as the back course. If one were to fly toward the runway on the back course, the localizer signals are on the opposite side now, so you have reverse sensing.

Need MS paint

When flying inbound on the outbound, the needle swings backwards.  Heading and course on the NAV should always be within 180 degrees to avoid it.  (Been a few years, but that's how I explained it - along with "Tims Air Nav" webpage)
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What airport?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sport pilot rating. Sounds interesting. Maybe I'll look into flight school again after all. I need to read up on all the FAA rules and regulations. This is one cool thread.

I'd fly Sport Pilot in a heartbeat if it werent for the fact that we get 9,000'+ density altitudes at our airport in the summer and most LSAs just can't handle that.  I don't have $350k to blow on a Carbon Cub either.

Plus, I'm the Ops Manager at an FBO, so my days (and nights) are filled with aircraft.  I don't lust for aviation like I used to.

What airport?

BZN

ETA: Hey OP, what happened when Maggie Had Roast Beef?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

3000 hours and an ATP here. No desire to go to airlines as I like being home every night and the salary plus hourly is nice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Slow day at work due to weather and waiting on 5pm so here is the official ask a flight instructor anything thread...

Go!

Do you have your atp? If not, why didn't you get it when it was cheap, relatively speaking.

When are you going to get a real job? I mean, airline or something.

3000 hours and an ATP here. No desire to go to airlines as I like being home every night and the salary plus hourly is nice.

Really?       HolyFuckBro.     I guess you already know what a rare bird you are.  

Where do you work?

Has the pay always been that good, or is that a new thing caused by attrition?

If I was to send my son to your school and write a check for the whole thing, Student pilot to CFII, how much are we talking?    (Assume good aptitude and motivation.  Lets say, FAA mins plus 10%)

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Can a  Mig-28 do a negative G pushover?
View Quote

We were.... Inverted!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I spent 3 years as a helicopter flight instructor.  After three years, I decided to do something safer.

So I went to Afghanistan as a private contractor.  

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I recommend keeping a major and flying separate. Have a backup plan for life. If anything, major in Aviation Engineering.

That being said, I went to SJSU for Aviation
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there any other major you would reccomend?

I recommend keeping a major and flying separate. Have a backup plan for life. If anything, major in Aviation Engineering.

That being said, I went to SJSU for Aviation

This times 1000. DO NOT GET A MAJOR IN AVIATION. Unless its your second major.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#29]
What's the going rate for a 172 wet these days?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Op,

what kind of money do you make that is better than the airlines.

just curious.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Just want to congratulate and thank OP for his dedication to the art of teaching flight.  I miss the instructing days and wonder if I will go back to it once I retire from this gig.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Op,

just curious.
View Quote

Curious about that as well.

As a CFI/I I only made $15-20k a year. Contractor about $110k.  Tours, $85k.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#33]
OP,

Decided that 2015 is the year I finally go for my PPL, and I've got a strong interest in taildraggers, vintage a/c, turf runway ops, etc.  Would you recommend starting in a taildragger right off the bat, or adding the standard tail wheel endorsement later?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

What's the going rate for a 172 wet these days?
View Quote

$135 around here.  Older airplane, steam gauges, Garmin 430.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OP,

Decided that 2015 is the year I finally go for my PPL, and I've got a strong interest in taildraggers, vintage a/c, turf runway ops, etc.  Would you recommend starting in a taildragger right off the bat, or adding the standard tail wheel endorsement later?

Thanks.
View Quote

tailwheel for the win,slow flight is scary
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Need MS paint

When flying inbound on the outbound, the needle swings backwards.  Heading and course on the NAV should always be within 180 degrees to avoid it.  (Been a few years, but that's how I explained it - along with "Tims Air Nav" webpage)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Need MS paint

I still, to this very day, have trouble remembering which way to turn with respect to tail of the bearing pointer on a hand flown fixed card back course ADF, engine out, circle to land approach.
We used to train for those in a Link trainer.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I still, to this very day, have trouble remembering which way to turn with respect to tail of the bearing pointer on a hand flown fixed card back course ADF, engine out, circle to land approach.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Need MS paint

You silly old timer , ADF is for listening to AM radio.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:37:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Cessna 150/172/182

Diamond DA20/40/42

King Air E90
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you fly?

Cessna 150/172/182

Diamond DA20/40/42

King Air E90

I love me some DA40.  What a view

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:39:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

This times 1000. DO NOT GET A MAJOR IN AVIATION. Unless its your second major.
View Quote

I majored in Airway Science and minored in Computer Science. After I got my PP SEL, I ran out of flying money. I've been in IT for the past 20+ years. I've had professional pilot friends and family tell me that they envy my desk-jockey career. As a guy who still ALWAYS looks at the sky for the thrill that seeing aircraft brings... I'm not buying it!

Btw... my dream job would be sitting in the business end of a G-550.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1S7y2ESqxo
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you fly?

Cessna 150/172/182

Diamond DA20/40/42

King Air E90

you kids and your glass panelsin my day all we had was a compass and a stop watch.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:44:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

you kids and your glass panelsin my day all we had was a compass and a stop watch.
View Quote

I'm 47 and learned to fly on the old school stuff. My big technology experience was an airplane with a 3-axis autopilot slaved to the HSI and a Loran-C. I loved it. What I wouldn't have given for today's glass cockpits!
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Op,

just curious.
View Quote

Maybe he flew with JFK jr. and they are paying him to keep his mouth shut?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you fly?

Cessna 150/172/182

Diamond DA20/40/42

King Air E90

I actually used the steam gauges the whole time lol.  Totally unfamiliar with the glass.

I wanted the view outside
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#44]
What do you do if you get the diarrhea mid flight?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 5:29:18 PM EDT
[#45]
What would be the take off distance of your E90 out of Aspen (ASE) on a 35*C day, 10kt tailwind and the left engine inop and MEL'd?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What would be the take off distance of your E90 out of Aspen (ASE) on a 35*C day, 10kt tailwind and the left engine inop and MEL'd?
View Quote

You can't even taxi a 90 on 1.    Found that out the hard way.  

also, ASE doesn't get to 35C

--  And where is CFIIMcGuiver?     He never answered mah questions ?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#47]
You are correct. All time record high in ASE was 34*C.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

How much if I just want to learn how to take off?  
ETA: joking... JOKING!!!

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608023213314609029&pid=1.7

Realistically how much money to to go through all the time to get certified?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much if I just want to learn how to take off?  

ETA: joking... JOKING!!!

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608023213314609029&pid=1.7

I went Part 61.  Private SEL (2004) -> Instrument SEL (2005) -> Commercial SEL (2006) -> CFI (2006...started teaching here, thus got instructor rates on aircraft) -> CFII (2006) -> Commercial MEL (2007) -> MEI (2007)

Just a touch under $90k.  Private was Cessna 150, Instrument was 172SP with steam gauges, Commercial was a Mooney M20C, CFI was the same Mooney, CFII was Diamond DA40XL w/G1000 glass, Commerical MEL was a Piper Seminole, MEI was a Diamond DA42 w/G1000 glass

It was by far not the cheapest route, but I was extremely well versed in steam gauges AND glass by the end of it.  Both have their strengths and weaknesses, but glass cockpits are infinitely safer for many, MANY reasons.

ETA: Private in a Cessna 150 in 2003 cost me about $5000 if I recall correctly.  Nowadays, I'd say probably closer to $8k.  I taught for Part 61 AND 141 schools.  As an instructor, I preferred 61 for private as you were permitted to flex the training more to suit the strengths/weaknesses of the student.  Very few people, in my experience, are skilled enough to obtain a private rating at the 61 minimums.  For private, the magic number always seemed to be around 48-60 hours total time depending on how often the student flew... regardless of 61/141.  If someone were to go all the way through though, 141 can actually be a money saver.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#50]
tagged
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top