Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Realistically how much money to to go through all the time to get certified?

View Quote

If you gotta ask, you won't enjoy it.  Honestly after I started training I would write checks in $1000 increments and try to not keep track.  It helped having a very supportive wife.  

Mine all up was a little under 8K I think.  A bare minimum of 40 flight hours at $135 an hour is $5400.  20 hours of instructing at $45 an hour is $900.  Plus there are books, headsets, testing fees, etc.  I did my own ground study so I only had to pay the testing fee for the knowledge portion.  I think the check to the examiner was $300.  You get the idea, plan $10,000.

But put it in context.  If you are a so-so student and solo at 15 hours you have spent around $3000.  However, you have done something less than 1% of the world as done.  

Having said that, I think I started the flight to my examiner at 45ish hours while most people fly checkride at around 60 hours.  Flight time alone would be $8100.  

Keep in mind there are a lot of variables.  In my case I have a very solid understanding of navigation, weather and aerodynamics when I started which helped greatly.  It also helps if you can set aside a short block of time to accomplish the training, I spread mine out over about 3 years which meant relearning a bit.  

Lastly, I think the instructor makes a huge difference.  I had a few that would play on their phones most of the time.  I guess if the instructor is playing on his phone on final that is just his way of signal his confidence in you.    However, I cannot really say he was much better of a pilot that I was.  I started and ended with a guy that was a little bit of a hard ass but could out fly the hell out of me and made me a better pilot.  As a result my checkride was a breeze compared to what some people experienced with the same examiner.  

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Maybe he flew with JFK jr. and they are paying him to keep his mouth shut?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Op,

what kind of money do you make that is better than the airlines.

just curious.

Maybe he flew with JFK jr. and they are paying him to keep his mouth shut?

Shit, I blew it career wise. That sounds like a great gig.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top