Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 35
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:58:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Problem I'm going to have when I buy mine is zeroing that IR aiming device at night and actually training with it at night.

I don't know anyone with private land where I can shoot or at least anyone I'd feel comfortable asking if I could go shoot at night with NODs on (unlike most people here I keep my firearms activities on the extreme downlow).  The ranges here all close at sunset.

View Quote

Can you get it close by using an NV compatible aimpoint and linining it up the laser with the zeroed aimpoimt?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Can you get it close by using an NV compatible aimpoint and linining it up the laser with the zeroed aimpoimt?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Problem I'm going to have when I buy mine is zeroing that IR aiming device at night and actually training with it at night.

I don't know anyone with private land where I can shoot or at least anyone I'd feel comfortable asking if I could go shoot at night with NODs on (unlike most people here I keep my firearms activities on the extreme downlow).  The ranges here all close at sunset.

That works fine, as long as you're shooting at a known range (IE 100 yards). If you're closer than that or farther than that, it starts getting off rapidly.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#3]
While I have not had time to use it much, overtime at work due to weather, I am rather amused with my aimpoint.  I can crank it up for daytime use and turn it down for nightvision use.

Took the worries about sighting it in away, still need more nighttime use to get used to it though.

I got it on sale during one of the discount threads, I think they said aimpoint was clearing out old stuff to release new stuff at shot show.  I don't really stay up on the news for this stuff.

Anyway, aimpoint works for those who can't find a lot of places to shoot at night or for those who want a dual purpose item.

Get the tnvc newsletter email if you don't already happen to be signed up.  They tend to do a tax season sale and other stuff here and there.  I need to get a helmet size figured out, kind of want to figure out one helmet and get it and be done with that end of things.  going to need the mount and everything as well so I am still saving money up.  I would have spent the money on this if aimpoint did not clear out their stuff.  Headcrusher works, just think a helmet would be nicer.

Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Fucking taxes. Might not be able to PVS14 now

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 7:54:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is a "NO SHIT STORY".   Don't be that guy.  If you're able to save of $2k, you can save up $4k.  It just takes longer.  Sell a couple rifles you don't use or need.  You know you have them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you buy gen 2 and then look through gen 3, you'll very likely regret your purchase.

This is a "NO SHIT STORY".   Don't be that guy.  If you're able to save of $2k, you can save up $4k.  It just takes longer.  Sell a couple rifles you don't use or need.  You know you have them.

Actually I only have one AR. Figured more would be a waste of money
I actually got to look through a gen3 by chance. I'll admit it sure looks good, actually was amazed.
The only Gen2+ I've seen has been pictures and the photo comparison I saw didn't look that different from gen3. I understand the Gen3 works better without IR and able to see further at a distance.
I'm still going to wait to see what TNVC puts out and the price otherwise I may go with one the $2300 gen 3 blems I've seen on Nightlong.
If I had a place I could shoot hogs or yotes at least weekly I'd be more willing to drop the coin.
After going through a divorce and getting my credit trashed and working two jobs, selling old stuff  to now having very good credit. I have a hard time buying high dollar toys once it hits the $1K mark.
Maybe I'll wait for some of those Christmas deals
Guess I need to try and talk myself into Gen3 or bust
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:13:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I actually got to look through a gen3 by chance. I'll admit it sure looks good, actually was amazed.
The only Gen2+ I've seen has been pictures and the photo comparison I saw didn't look that different from gen3. I understand the Gen3 works better without IR and able to see further at a distance.
I'm still going to wait to see what TNVC puts out and the price otherwise I may go with one the $2300 gen 3 blems I've seen on Nightlong.
If I had a place I could shoot hogs or yotes at least weekly I'd be more willing to drop the coin.
After going through a divorce and getting my credit trashed and working two jobs, selling old stuff  to now having very good credit. I have a hard time buying high dollar toys once it hits the $1K mark.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you buy gen 2 and then look through gen 3, you'll very likely regret your purchase.

We're here for you, bud. After all you've been through, you deserve Gen3 NV.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do make a good argument
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:01:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Just $5000 more to go until I start the "upgrade Mr and Mrs. AKengineer to Gen3 fund". Stupid shit is getting in the way like moving into a house, a wedding, and some sort of expensive trip to some other country's beach called a "honeymoon".

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:33:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just $5000 more to go until I start the "upgrade Mr and Mrs. AKengineer to Gen3 fund". Stupid shit is getting in the way like moving into a house, a wedding, and some sort of expensive trip to some other country's beach called a "honeymoon".  
View Quote

Fuck all that, get married and honeymoon at CW
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:00:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys know she would do it, but the timing is awful.  She's in that awful last stretch where clinicals are combined with tests every week. Doubtful that she is going to be able to do much more than spectate CW this year, if that. But at the end of the day, marrying a girl that wants his and her PVS14s as bad as I do = winning.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 2:20:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Just joined the club!

Not gen3 and can't (easily) mount it to anything, but for $450 it can't be beat
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:22:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Just joined the club!

http://s12.postimg.org/wcof82i31/20150226_191405.jpg

View Quote

One of the APEX bring backs?
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:24:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

While I have not had time to use it much, overtime at work due to weather, I am rather amused with my aimpoint.  I can crank it up for daytime use and turn it down for nightvision use.
Took the worries about sighting it in away, still need more nighttime use to get used to it though.
I got it on sale during one of the discount threads, I think they said aimpoint was clearing out old stuff to release new stuff at shot show.  I don't really stay up on the news for this stuff.
Anyway, aimpoint works for those who can't find a lot of places to shoot at night or for those who want a dual purpose item.
Get the tnvc newsletter email if you don't already happen to be signed up.  They tend to do a tax season sale and other stuff here and there.  I need to get a helmet size figured out, kind of want to figure out one helmet and get it and be done with that end of things.  going to need the mount and everything as well so I am still saving money up.  I would have spent the money on this if aimpoint did not clear out their stuff.  Headcrusher works, just think a helmet would be nicer.
View Quote

Ebay has legit Rhino 2's for 59 shipped and 69 for the TATM or whatever for 10 more. I cut a ACH to high speed, new suspension system, and mounted ARC rails. All said with all the ARC accessories I wanted I'm in for like 310 and have a kick ass bullet proof helmet.

ETA PICS: still waiting on my Comtacs to get here :(

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 4:34:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Because money.
View Quote

Yep. Don't have any optics yet, or any "nice" rifles...yet. The few firearms I own, I got at basically sale rates.

Love to have NV someday. Not in the cards for a while though. And I want a day optic first.

ETA: And I can't justify it yet, with what money I do have. Trying to save all I can, anyhow. But "yet" is the operative word there.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just joined the club!

http://s12.postimg.org/wcof82i31/20150226_191405.jpg

Yep, ATN Night Spirit 2
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I couldn't justify spending more than $300 on a set.  I'd hardly ever use them
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Night vision is terribly expensive. I suggest nobody buys any (leaves more for me). Gen 2 can perform as good or better than Gen 3. Depends on what kind of Gen 2 tube and who makes it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:11:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Found this and thought it should go here. Near future NV and IR setup.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:01:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Ready to get all up in the night now

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Night vision is terribly expensive. I suggest nobody buys any (leaves more for me). Gen 2 can perform as good or better than Gen 3. Depends on what kind of Gen 2 tube and who makes it.
View Quote

Tell me more about these gen 2s.....
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:17:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Can't be the only guy to show up at the ARFCOM Rally Point during the Z-Apocalypse without full kit bro.

Bros know when they gotta get their NVGs on..Bros know.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:18:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Need more Night Visions firearms courses.

MILSIM events now are offering night games for force on force training with them and learning how to navigate with them on and even drive.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:24:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Speaking of getting an upgreyedd, I just got a bonus at work... it's ballistic helmet, Sentinel (or BNVD) / thermal rifle scope time for me.

There used to be a time (not that long ago) when I spent my money on rifles or ammo
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:15:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Need more Night Visions firearms courses.

MILSIM events now are offering night games for force on force training with them and learning how to navigate with them on and even drive.

View Quote

Dude IT IS SO MUCH FUN TO DRIVE WITH THEM ON. The whole no depth perception with my PVS 7's makes it a little harder and I tend to go REAL SLOW, but goddamn. It turns night into day with all the street lights and my headlights. omg.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:18:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Speaking of getting an upgreyedd, I just got a bonus at work... it's ballistic helmet, Sentinel (or BNVD) / thermal rifle scope time for me.

There used to be a time (not that long ago) when I spent my money on rifles or ammo
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The NVG forum guys love the thermal, but you should get an "analog" image intensifier now and get the hot shit thermal on the next bonus when all the cool thermal toys go down in price and have better and better software. As far as ballistic helmets go, I can't stress enough how much fun and easy it was to mod a normal ACH to a high speed, low cost setup. Either way you go, POST PICS.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:20:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

He's referencing Photonis I think, which is about Omni 4ish+ in specs, but are dirt cheap (PVS-14 for less than 1.2k and less than that if you can get a decent PVS kit for cheap) and last about as long as a Gen 3. There's a dude in the EE that sells them, and occasionally has blem/non working tubes that have been fixed for 2 or 3 hundred a pop if you got mad skillz.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The NVG forum guys love the thermal, but you should get an "analog" image intensifier now and get the hot shit thermal on the next bonus when all the cool thermal toys go down in price and have better and better software. As far as ballistic helmets go, I can't stress enough how much fun and easy it was to mod a normal ACH to a high speed, low cost setup. Either way you go, POST PICS.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the point of modding the ACH?  To make it lighter?  To hear better?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

He's referencing Photonis I think, which is about Omni 4ish+ in specs, but are dirt cheap (PVS-14 for less than 1.2k and less than that if you can get a decent PVS kit for cheap) and last about as long as a Gen 3. There's a dude in the EE that sells them, and occasionally has blem/non working tubes that have been fixed for 2 or 3 hundred a pop if you got mad skillz.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interdasting. Living in the desert i love the nights and most of the time you can almost see just from the stars. gen 2 might be plenty.
i picked up a flir scout when they came out but cant really walk with it and it takes 1+ days of no sun for the rocks to cool down enough to be less red than a critter.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To compromise its ballistic protection?
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:36:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you should try the mod3 binocular setup, for a double dose of pimping
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be "big pimpin" and I'm more a a medium pimpin sort of guy.  The bonus I mentioned earlier was only $599 after taxes.  Going to have to sell a 4-wheeler too.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh yeah i wouldnt recommend cutting up a ACH. You can find a hight cut ACH for pretty cheap and they are similar in weight and coverage to the FAST helmet.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:13:39 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously? God forbid someone cut kevlar, it just comes off the factory in it's natural form like a helmet or in the shape of a vest. It's this magical material that as soon as it gets bumped it just quits working. Multiple rounds hitting it? Nah bro it's only good for one, won't work again. THIS VOODOO IS TOO MUCH FOR ME.

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Seriously? God forbid someone cut kevlar, it just comes off the factory in it's natural form like a helmet or in the shape of a vest. It's this magical material that as soon as it gets bumped it just quits working. Multiple rounds hitting it? Nah bro it's only good for one, won't work again. THIS VOODOO IS TOO MUCH FOR ME.

View Quote

you have to cut it with a magical saw that heals its spiritual wounds or else it will resent you and allow objects to penetrate your braincase
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Or, when you cut it, it exposes the laminate, and water will then degrade the bond, leading to inferior ballistic protection. Imagine walking over a plywood bridge that had been soaked in water for a month that was over the Grand Canyon.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lighter and to cut to add the cool peltor adapters that mount on the ARC rail. Plus nothing is better than making your own stuff, 'Murica.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:35:47 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Or, when you cut it, it exposes the laminate, and water will then degrade the bond, leading to inferior ballistic protection. Imagine walking over a plywood bridge that had been soaked in water for a month that was over the Grand Canyon.
View Quote

Yeh I hear sealing it is next to impossible and no one ever thought about that which is why they use special unicorn semen as a glue that is unobtanium for us mere mortals.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 5:27:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

It does come out of the mold in it's natural form. It's strips of kevlar layered in resin, and cutting it will make it not work so good.
If you don't care about stopping bullets you should just buy a bump helmet.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:37:01 PM EDT
[#39]
because I want thermal and night vision
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:54:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

It does come out of the mold in it's natural form. It's strips of kevlar layered in resin, and cutting it will make it not work so good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How much of it is compromised when you cut it?  Most of the guys I know that have cut one have done it for weight savings.  Those fuckers are heavy.  It's nice to drop a little weight and still have some protection.  People should also realize what they are being protected against.  This isn't all that great of protection.  It's better than a bike helmet, but not by much.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 4:37:23 AM EDT
[#41]
So what's the deal with the limit on IR laser power?  Is it illegal to own higher power lasers or just to sell them?  And why?

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 4:57:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So what's the deal with the limit on IR laser power?  Is it illegal to own higher power lasers or just to sell them?  And why?

View Quote

.7 mw for class 1 civi lasers, not illegal to own higher power lasers or technically even sell them non commercially (other than ITAR concerns). It is the FDA that regulates lasers, and the .7 mw class 1 rules are for "eye safety", lasers more powerful than that are allowed but are required to have safeties like a key and multiple switches. Possession of a higher than .7 mw laser lacking those safeties, like all WMLS is not illegal but that doesn't mean your local food inspector (well, sworn USDA LEO) couldn't technically seize it as contraband, as it really would be.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 5:06:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I need to find the turbocube that creates a universe without winter time, this shit sucks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Each to their own, everyone has different circumstances and ideas of what's fun or useful to them.

Yes, some people live in alternate universes without night time.

I need to find the turbocube that creates a universe without winter time, this shit sucks

They already do that.  It's called an airliner and the destination is called Florida.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 5:13:10 AM EDT
[#44]

What helmet is this?? Also, awesome Jayco :)
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

They already do that.  It's called an airliner and the destination is called Florida.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Each to their own, everyone has different circumstances and ideas of what's fun or useful to them.

Yes, some people live in alternate universes without night time.

eh it's over now, I'm good
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 12:16:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because if you point a high power visible laser at someone they'll be like "OH WHAT THE HELL!" and look away before serious eye damage occurs.  If it's an IR laser they'll just sit there oblivious to their eyeballs boiling away until it's too late.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think Nightlong sells blem 14s for around 2.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Trouble is I really want binos, but I try to make sure my wife has the same kit as me so I'll probably just go with two monos.

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Trouble is I really want binos, but I try to make sure my wife has the same kit as me so I'll probably just go with two monos.

View Quote

sounds like a mod3 situation
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 11:55:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top