lol, no it isn't.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
And it's all hopped-up IPA.   Blech.

lol, no it isn't.

I've been doing my best to try more porters and stouts... and I just can't keep up.  More amazing beers are showing up all the time, in all varieties.

Mikkeller Black Hole is my current fave.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:10:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Good
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:11:57 PM EDT
[#3]
My brother works for a distributor. 90% of the beer that I have drank over the past 3 years has been craft. Most spoiled college kid ever. . I was told to give beer away to friends for them to try and to give it away at parties. Guess it has worked (to a degree).

I have a case or more of each of these in my basement... (several cases of Green Flash IPA, my favourite).

Lots of Lagunitas in the basement. Generally a mix of Little Sumpin Sumpin, Sucks, Censored, and whatever is in season. Heady topper comes and goes, as well as Lawsons Finest Double Sunshine (which are both distributed by his sister company over in VT).

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've been doing my best to try more porters and stouts... and I just can't keep up.  More amazing beers are showing up all the time, in all varieties.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, no it isn't.

-Tried out Young's double chocolate stout yet in nitro cans? Its SUPERIOR to ALL (chocolate stouts that is)! Please, try it out. But dont buy them in glass, too soapy and gross. Nitro cans are where its at!

-Current fav IPA is still BootStrap's Insane Rush. Fucking amazing. Maybe im biased though since its less than a mile from my house, so i always end up getting 6 packs that are brewed the same day

Its hilarious that for decades, American's thought that euro beer was this god-like magical thing when its now the europeans (im talking about you belgium!) who are copying all the microbreweries here in the states.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:15:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I don't understand what the big deal with Budweiser was.

The had good racing teams and the money to fund them. But their beer tastes like piss.
View Quote
You must be Bear Grylles

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:22:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anheuser Busch just bought 10-Barrel Brewing, which is a small brewery in Bend, Oregon. Maybe that's their strategy - if you can't brew good beer, buy the breweries that do.

10-Barrel makes a fine product, I just hope AB doesn't screw it up.
View Quote

It is.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:35:39 AM EDT
[#7]
I like Grain Belt Premium and Shocktop.

Back in the 90's, all the funny talkers from rugby chose Grain Belt Premium as their preferred beer.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's because Budweiser tastes like ass.
View Quote

I always thought of it more along the lines of watered down weasel piss.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:43:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My brother works for a distributor. 90% of the beer that I have drank over the past 3 years has been craft. Most spoiled college kid ever. . I was told to give beer away to friends for them to try and to give it away at parties. Guess it has worked (to a degree).

I have a case or more of each of these in my basement... (several cases of Green Flash IPA, my favourite).

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10612807_801993003208178_5333457295766399278_n.jpg?oh=90e3d589c6e0d5625528946dadfb571a&oe=54D43EB5&__gda__=1427544799_53289ce6e8a3dd8665e5b07a62001ef0

Lots of Lagunitas in the basement. Generally a mix of Little Sumpin Sumpin, Sucks, Censored, and whatever is in season. Heady topper comes and goes, as well as Lawsons Finest Double Sunshine (which are both distributed by his sister company over in VT).

View Quote

Just had a Lagunitas Pilsner diring dinner - was extremely impressed.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:44:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Good.  The craft beer industry needs to thrive.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:49:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Because drinking 3.5% water is way more manly than 6.5% beer?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In unrelated news, homosexuality spikes in america by 50000%.

No. It's called stop being a pussy little bitch and drink whiskey or vodka if you want high abv. Equating being manly and drinking 2% higher alcohol is like talking about 32 acp being so much more "hoss" than 22lr... Lol

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:49:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

it will and it will also evolve...some brands will get bigger and grow...they will eventually gobble up smaller brewers and grow more....forget about their roots and what made them great then they will fall out of fashion....rinse repeat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good.  The craft beer industry needs to thrive.

it will and it will also evolve...some brands will get bigger and grow...they will eventually gobble up smaller brewers and grow more....forget about their roots and what made them great then they will fall out of fashion....rinse repeat

I doubt any of them will suddenly start using rice and corn primarily.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:51:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I wholeheartedly agree...back in 1978 I was drinking Heinikens, Becks and Samuel Smiths...other than those there just wasn't much
to choose from...most Americans drank Bud, Coors and others. They were pretty uneducated in terms of taste and used
to buying large amounts of beer at a lower price than they would have shelled out for Heiniken.
They were of the opinion that quantity is better than quality.

During the 80's this began to change as more imported beer started to show up, and Anchor Steam, Sierra Nevada, Samuel Adams and
other Breweries came into being.

It took a long time, and it was one of the very few things that Jimmy Carter did right...and that was to open up the market
to craft brewers.

We should start to see...something of a renassaince occurring hard liquor pretty soon.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand what the big deal with Budweiser was.

The had good racing teams and the money to fund them. But their beer tastes like piss.

I wholeheartedly agree...back in 1978 I was drinking Heinikens, Becks and Samuel Smiths...other than those there just wasn't much
to choose from...most Americans drank Bud, Coors and others. They were pretty uneducated in terms of taste and used
to buying large amounts of beer at a lower price than they would have shelled out for Heiniken.
They were of the opinion that quantity is better than quality.

During the 80's this began to change as more imported beer started to show up, and Anchor Steam, Sierra Nevada, Samuel Adams and
other Breweries came into being.

It took a long time, and it was one of the very few things that Jimmy Carter did right...and that was to open up the market
to craft brewers.

We should start to see...something of a renassaince occurring hard liquor pretty soon.

The only good beer to be had in the late 70s and early 80s was
Beck's
Heineken
Lowenbrau
And dad could get those at the class six.
He still,kept Schaeffer for our mooch neighbor who would come by
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 12:58:27 AM EDT
[#14]
There are lots of good small breweries out there, but overall I find beer hipsters to be even doucheier than wind snobs, which is hard to do.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:00:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I raise my New Belgium Fat Tire ale in salute to the good news.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:01:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There are lots of good small breweries out there, but overall I find beer hipsters to be even doucheier than wind snobs, which is hard to do.
View Quote

I fucking hate wine people. A lot.

I like/love wine, but I cannot fucking stand being around that crowd.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:01:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

These statements are a surefire way to reveal that the person saying it doesn't know craft beer.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:03:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Anheuser Busch just bought 10-Barrel Brewing, which is a small brewery in Bend, Oregon. Maybe that's their strategy - if you can't brew good beer, buy the breweries that do.

View Quote

I had no idea about this acquisition.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:04:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They've been up to this for years.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:08:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Ok craft kids- tell me this.  Picture my summers spent on the Colorado river, its 110 degrees F in beautiful Arizona, and the water is perfect.  My beer of choice in that situation is Coors light.  What craft beer can suffice in that situation.  and don't tell me fucking Stone Brewery.  Exactly.  While bud has a bad taste, you can't replace American big brand light beer.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:11:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm just going to spare any criticism of bizarre craft beer and say this is a good thing.

We need to crush the beer flavored pisswater that is Bud and the other main "beer" brands.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:11:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ok craft kids- tell me this.  Picture my summers spent on the Colorado river, its 110 degrees F in beautiful Arizona, and the water is perfect.  My beer of choice in that situation is Coors light.  What craft beer can suffice in that situation.  and don't tell me fucking Stone Brewery.  Exactly.  While bud has a bad taste, you can't replace American big brand light beer.
View Quote

Drink what you like.

Personally, I'd prefer a Dales or canned Dos Equis in that situation.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I enjoy a nice craft beer every once in a while, but I'm mostly happy just living the High Life.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:16:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've bought mucho beer and spoke with beer store managers down the years. Buttwiper is most notorious of the domestic big 3. They will buy an popular microbrewery start to cut corners and it run into the ground. My advice to any microbrewery that gets approached.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:18:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, they have.  I just haven't heard of the 10 Barrel acquisition.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:23:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I haven't bought a Budweiser anything in probably 20 years....

Coors light on rare occasion...

Otherwise, mostly local micro-brews...
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:24:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

There's a time and place for every beer.  If you like Coors Light, drink Coors light in that situation.

If you are asking for other light bodied, low alcohol, low-ish bitterness, light-in-color beers, try a Kolsch, Cream Ale, or Blonde Ale.  A Kolsch that's brewed true to style is technically an ale but it's very lager like.  

Cream Ale is often brewed with adjuncts like corn.  Sometimes an ale or lager depending on yeast used.

Blonde Ale has many different interpretations.  Some are fairly hoppy with low bitterness and some are more reminiscent of a Cream Ale or Kolsch.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:36:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Drink whatever floats your boat.  

I'd like a Leinekugel's Summer Shandy in that situation.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:40:15 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote
You need to get out more.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:55:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Im gonna go hug my cases of Hill Farmstead...

BRB
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:04:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:04:34 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Drink what you like.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Drink what you like.

Dale's Pale Ale is an excellent choice for warm/hot weather.  Fairly light, crisp, and an extremely well balanced American Pale Ale.

Luckily, a lot of Texas brewers recognize the fact that it's hot as shit for 5 or 6 months here and brew a wide array of low alcohol, yet extremely flavorful beers:

Karbach Brewing's (Houston) Sympathy For The Lager is only 4.9% Abv but has a depth and character that rivals any macro pale lager.

Austin Beerworks Pearl Snap Pilsner comes in at 5.3% Abv and is a fantastic, authentic German Pilsner.

Live Oak Brewing's (Austin) Hefewiezen (5.2% Abv) is regarded as a top three hefe in the world, besting virtually all the authentic hefes (except for Weheinstephaner) from the Motherland.

Craft beer isn't about upping the alcohol and over-hopping the shit out of every beer. If you've had a bad experience with craft beer, I'd invite you back to the bar for another try.  It's truly a brewer's art form in the production of something that almost everyone can enjoy.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:22:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do we have to do this again?

Damn '08ers.

Quoted:
View Quote

Nothing better than an icy cold Oberon after I've been out getting scorched cutting my grass in +90 degree, +70% humidity weather. I love Oberon so much I stock up at the end of Summer to get me through Winter

Don't know about availability in AZ. Bell's website says they distribute to there though.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:36:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10612807_801993003208178_5333457295766399278_n.jpg?oh=90e3d589c6e0d5625528946dadfb571a&oe=54D43EB5&__gda__=1427544799_53289ce6e8a3dd8665e5b07a62001ef0

View Quote

You're a lucky bastard, you know that?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:09:01 AM EDT
[#35]
I help my brother run a store that does a significant amount of it's sales in beer and liquor. We have started selling a large quantity of craft beer, why? Margin. When we sell a 30 pack of budweiser we barely make 10%, for sales weekends it becomes a loss leader.Craft beer, a 6 pack is 30avg%; in our "Build Your Own 6-Pack" section we can make up to 100%.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:11:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

And they pretty much own the distribution stream.  They make more off the craft breweries distribution than the craft breweries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anheuser-Busch makes craft beer too

And they pretty much own the distribution stream.  They make more off the craft breweries distribution than the craft breweries.

Yes and no; we get most of our craft beers from our liquor distributor. Only the biggest craft brewers are in bed with the main beer brewers distribution system.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:14:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Try a filtered wheat,  New Belgium Brewery(they make Fat Tire) has one called 'Sunshine' wheat that is a lighter bodied beer that would go well for what you are describing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:43:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Don't tell Swede.

This runs counter to the Yuroweenie Superiority™ narrative.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Don't tell the Swede. It runs counter to the Yuroweenie Superiority™ Narrative.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't tell Swede.

This runs counter to the Yuroweenie Superiority™ narrative.

Americans are spoiled for choice when it comes to good beer these days.
Don't tell the Swede. It runs counter to the Yuroweenie Superiority™ Narrative.  

Your inferiority complex is showing again.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#40]
I used to drink the shit out of this hipster craft beer made in some place called kloster Reutberg.  These hipsters have been brewing it since 1618.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:56:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No. It's called stop being a pussy little bitch and drink whiskey or vodka if you want high abv. Equating being manly and drinking 2% higher alcohol is like talking about 32 acp being so much more "hoss" than 22lr... Lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a growler of some ~50% ABV IPA that I made.  Pretty intense stuff.

But seriously,  I don't see the point in sub 5% ABV beers unless you are trying to work up a recipe.  I don't really want to have to pee 30 times during a night of drinking and I want my beer to taste like something.  

Not everybody is cut out to drink things that taste like things.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I used to drink the shit out of this hipster craft beer made in some place called kloster Reutberg.  These hipsters have been brewing it since 1618.
View Quote

I bet they all wore skinny jeans back then too.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Loose Cannon is my Craft of choice
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
There maybe some hope for America after all.
View Quote

FPNI

You drink Bud for alcohol and craft for flavor.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:31:41 AM EDT
[#47]
I didn't make it in before the haters.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

It's all Natty Lite with flavoring added.
View Quote
Yes, water is the most important ingredient in beer.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#49]
I also like Budweiser, when I can find it.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:36:52 AM EDT
[#50]

As opposed to the average macrobrew drinker who has a high school diploma, works as a mechanic at a car dealership, lives in a trailer, has 3 kids, is divorced, has at least 1 DUI, and who's ultimate goal in life is to get on disability?

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top