Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 11/17/2014 12:00:01 AM EDT
Somewhere along the line, overwhelmingly bitter hops became synonymous with craft beer and the world is worse for it.  

Seriously, is your beer that bad that you have to cover it up with that much hops?  Hops have their place.  An IPA wouldn't be an IPA without them.  But even then, some of those craft IPAs are peel the paint off your house bitter.  

Beer can be smooth and still be complex without overwhelming, bitter hops.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:01:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Just buy the beer you like.

Problem solved.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:02:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep. IPAs are the downfall of beer society. Nothing like popping open an ice cold bottle of turpentine
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:08:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree, i just asked my local store owner what he thought was a good beer (wanted to try something new.) well he directed me to "two roads: 'road to ruin' double IPA." He proceeded to tell me that it was the next big thing and everyone around here loves it. Well i popped one open and i swear to god my teeth melted and my eyes turned yellow. It was way overpowering. Now i have had IPAs and other stronger beers but this was out of hand.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:09:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Not a fan of IPA's. Prefer porters.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:11:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I'm not a fan of bitter beer at all so this hop craze drives me up the wall. I avoid IPAs like the plague.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:12:20 AM EDT
[#7]
If they made something that most people liked, then it wouldn't be hipster beer.  It's perfect really.  If it tastes bad then you know it's the real thing.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:14:51 AM EDT
[#8]
IPAs are hipster douche bag beer.  For them it's cool to say they like the worst tasting swill in the bar.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't discriminate...

I love IPA's, but I am currently enjoying a Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter. Yum.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:15:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I really like IPA's.. and better than Zima filling ur local beer refrigerator.  And.. and...: the Seeall sight is pretty awsome too.
I have one..really. on a 10.5 ARP.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#11]
copy that op

A nice hefeweizen or a fruit beer is so much more enjoyable.  Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy was my favorite this summer, not sure if it is a seasonal, can get it now.

Helped out a neighbor this w.e. & he gave me a few Bridgeport Trilogy 2 IPA, total dogwad
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#12]
It's a beer style, if you don't like it then don't drink it.

Some weirdos think that beans don't belong in chili - they are also nutz.

Some real weirdos eat fish that isn't cooked - they are TOTALLY nutz.

To each their own.....

Drink and eat what you like and "be happy"
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:18:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't know how widely it's distributed but my local craft brewery, River Rat has some really excellent brews for a porter palate.

Been drinking their hazelnut brown all weekend.

They have great IPAs too but I agree I'm not a fan of bitter beer.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:20:47 AM EDT
[#14]
IPAs are obsolete.  You see, we have this thing called a refrigerated stores ship that can keep beer nice and cold and make it from UK to India in pretty good time.  We also have airplanes.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go ride my horse to work.  I gotta start now so that I can make it there at 6 am.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:20:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Hipsters drink shit like PBR.  Not sure why Arfcom has such a hard time understanding what is hipster.  

IPAs are awesome.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:22:59 AM EDT
[#16]
it's kind of like wine being thousands of dollars and still tasting like wine. Drink what tastes good. My fav beer is Pacifico.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Heady Topper in hand, but apparently that makes me a hipster
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:25:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I quit drinking all alcohol in 2002. When I gave up beer in '02 all I remember was Bud lite, Corona, etc...   Fast forward 12 years and I now have a few beers after bike rides etc..  My Mtn bike buddies are all into IPA's and craft beers.
The first IPA I had I felt like a 9th grader at a his first beer party. I poured it all out, thought it tasted like grapefruit juice.  I am trying to come around to these newfangled beers but many of them are skunk piss.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:25:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah I'm not a fan of bitter beer at all so this hop craze drives me up the wall. I avoid IPAs like the plague.
View Quote

This - it is getting hard to find a beer that isn't pucker-your-whole-face bitter.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:25:28 AM EDT
[#20]
There are shitty beers of every type, an excellent ipa is a wonderful thing. Don't drink one bad one and write them all off. Try some sculpin, smutty nose or stone.  

I like other types of beer, but I enjoy IPAs as well.

TL:DR suck it up pumpkin
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:27:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I feel the same way about Irish beers. especially the dark, dark beers. I don't want to have to carve and chew my beer.

Call me a puss, but I like the wheat beers and I like Mead.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:27:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:28:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Hipsters drink shit like PBR.  Not sure why Arfcom has such a hard time understanding what is hipster.  
IPAs are awesome.
View Quote

Pretty much this.

The great thing about craft beer is that there are hundreds of beer styles to choose from.  Beer palates change.  Don't be surprised if someday you love IPA.  I love IPA....I don't love every IPA.  I'm not a fan of anything Stone.

I'm guessing OP and most arfcommers have never had sour beer either...

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:28:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

IPAs are awesome.
View Quote

Never been to a beer tasting huh?

I can assure you IPAs wouldnt exist anymore if it wasnt for tight pants and beards.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#25]

That stuff is excellent

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:28:45 AM EDT
[#26]
I walk into my local liquor store looking for some good beer.

It's a really big store. 95% of the "good" beer is IPA.

Go to the next three or four stores in town, same thing.

Fuck IPAs. Fuck microbreweries that have 87 different types of IPA that all taste like the same bar of soap.

If the only way you can brew beer is to cram as much hops in as possible then fuck you I'll buy something else. Or brew it myself. Or fuck it, I'll just stop drinking beer completely and be happy for it if it means I don't have to ever drink another shitty IPA again.

Curses on you IPA! Fuck you in all your forms! You have taken all joy out of the craft beer hobby! DIE IPA! DIE DIE DIE DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spiced beers, you're next!
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:30:13 AM EDT
[#27]
poor craft beer does this, the good stuff uses Citra and Mosaic. not too bitter.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:30:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Somewhere along the line, overwhelmingly bitter hops became synonymous with craft beer and the world is worse for it.  

Seriously, is your beer that bad that you have to cover it up with that much hops?  Hops have their place.  An IPA wouldn't be an IPA without them.  But even then, some of those craft IPAs are peel the paint off your house bitter.  

Beer can be smooth and still be complex without overwhelming, bitter hops.

View Quote

Have you tried root beer?
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:30:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
IPAs are hipster douche bag beer.  For them it's cool to say they like the worst tasting swill in the bar.
View Quote

What's funny is that the beer hipsters moved on from IPA's to Russian/Imperial/Oatmeal Stouts, then barleywines and all kinds of other esoteric shit a while ago.  IPA's have been mainstream for a long time now.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:31:49 AM EDT
[#30]
this is why i drink coors or shiner.

not tryin to get all fancy pants with my beer.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:32:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I can assure you IPAs wouldnt exist anymore if it wasnt for tight pants and beards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IPAs are awesome.

I've been to quite a few.  Haven't been to one since the hipster thing took off, but that would still prove the fact that pre hipster, IPAs were very popular with people who enjoyed beer.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:32:38 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

IPAs are awesome.

IPA is consistently the number one selling beer style in America. If only hipsters drink IPA, that's a whole lot of hipsters.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:33:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

IPAs are awesome.
View Quote

But ...... hipsters love IPAs..  Hey, does that make you ........ nah say it ain't so.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:33:46 AM EDT
[#34]

Good stuff. Sublimely Self Righteous Black IPA is my favorite.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:34:07 AM EDT
[#35]
I agree. I don't care for IPA's at all. I just figured it was a hipster thing.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:34:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I feel the same way about Irish beers. especially the dark, dark beers. I don't want to have to carve and chew my beer.

Call me a puss, but I like the wheat beers and I like Mead.
View Quote

Puss.

Dark beer is best beer.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:34:35 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

IPAs are awesome.

I am a frigging northern Appalachian hill jack and I like IPAs. Furthest thing from a hipster you can imagine. What the fuck ever people, drink you you like, try a chocolate porter, or a hefenwizen(sp?). American ale or shit some damn Mexican rat piss corona.

FFS Don't fuck up beer with your Nancy boy purse swinging
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:35:20 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
What's funny is that the beer hipsters moved on from IPA's to Russian/Imperial/Oatmeal Stouts, then barleywines and all kinds of other esoteric shit a while ago.  IPA's have been mainstream for a long time now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My observations have shown me that hipsters have moved on to "session" beers.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:35:43 AM EDT
[#39]
I get the hate, but I don't understand why arf has to post a thread on it every week. They're popular, but not the only option. Stouts, Belgian styles, sours, etc are all available. Brewers like me brew what sells. IPAs pay the bills. I brewed a strong scotch last week when I had a free spot on the schedule. It's like crying about Glocks or 9mm, because you don't like them, even though they're wildly popular. Don't like em, don't buy em. "Stop liking what I don't like!"
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:36:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Without annoyingly hoppy beers, hipsters would not be able to ironically drink hoppy beer.

If it's not whiskey, I much prefer a nice flavorful ale, or always a good stout or porter.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:37:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
this is why i drink coors or shiner.

not tryin to get all fancy pants with my beer.
View Quote

Well, Coors is a banquet beer, so I got you there.

but Texas Beer?

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:38:14 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Without annoyingly hoppy beers, hipsters would not be able to ironically drink hoppy beer.

If it's not whiskey, I much prefer a nice flavorful ale, or always a good stout or porter.
View Quote

IPA is an ale.  So is stout and porter.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:39:16 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm not a big IPA fan, either.  I prefer Belgian strong dark ales or a good hefeweizen.

The Belgians and Germans know how to make the best beer.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:40:11 AM EDT
[#44]
I don't mind an IPA, though I'll admit most of the time I was only drinking it for the high ABV.  I do get annoyed though how much shelf space is dedicated to IPA's compared to the dark beers that I like.  You pine sol lovers might say stores stock so much of it because it's in demand, except part of my frustration is it's always there, never out of stock, while the few beers I would buy are likely sold out instead.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:42:19 AM EDT
[#45]
It was way overpowering.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:43:23 AM EDT
[#46]
I read something not too long ago from a guy that brews IPAs. He said something along the lines of every year he would spend so much time in the hops locker and tasting and testing things that the flavors would start to blend and get dull, so then he would add more hops. Over the years that has turned into a batch of beer that only a few enjoy, and for those of us not always up to our eyes in hops everyday it just taste like bitter swill.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:44:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

IPAs are awesome.
View Quote

This. There are bad examples of every style. IPAs are popular, so lots of breweries are churning them out. Some great, some not so great. If you ever had a Heady Topper or Pliney the Elder (which you probably never will), it would change the way you think about IPAs being undrinkable. Honestly, I am not a fan of IPAs in the least, but to write off the entire style because you never tried a decent example is pretty ignorant.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:44:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:44:51 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I'm not a big IPA fan, either.  I prefer Belgian strong dark ales or a good hefeweizen.

The Belgians and Germans know how to make the best beer.
View Quote
Actually the Germans and Belgians are coming here to learn new tricks. The US is the center of beer excellence these days.  IPAs led the way but many other styles followed on after the IPAs taught the American pallet that there was more to beer than bud and bud light. There is a reason those brands are suffering, the rest of us know good beer when we taste it.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 12:45:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Recently found chocolate stouts.  Good lord are they yummy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top