Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I am at the top of the food chain. I eat what I kill. Every single day I spend hunting or fishing is a spiritual event that I cherish beyond measure. There is more of God in the outdoors than in any building. I want my descendants to know what I loved to do and that I was pretty good at it. It's primal. I am proud of my efforts. I share my love with others through photos.
The only thing I wouldn't understand would be taking pics of yourself at he store holding a package of chicken....

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:51:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Why does anyone take a picture, duh. To have a reminder they can look at, and share with others. Those moments are usually rare in a persons life. I don't understand how you cannot understand something so basic and human. Shoot, even the cave men painted pictures of what they hunted on the walls as a record.

You must be over civilized.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:55:11 AM EDT
[#3]
so i guess you are againt mounting of these animals too?

think of the people who put in for out of state tags in the better hunting areas, year after year after year

sometimes they get their trophy a lot of times they don't, but when they do they want to share it with others so that they can experience the pure joy that person had taking an animal

let me ask you this, are you against kids working hard at a sport, playing on a team and winning a trophy and getting their picture taken with a smile of pure joy for all their hard work?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#4]
LOL at OP

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:30:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not necessarily that I'm squeamish I just don't get it, maybe I never will.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, not all men are squeamish about a kill. There you have it.

Not necessarily that I'm squeamish I just don't get it, maybe I never will.

What do you take pictures of?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I also believe ir in a way honors the beauty of the animal. That is especially true for mounts. It is a tangible reminder of a persons accomplishments. Getting a good trophy is not easy. I have a sheep I shot at 16 on the wall. I'm 53 now and I still love having it to look at. I can see it an remember details of the hunt and share that with others all theses years later.

My 1st and only hog so far.

My sheep shot in the Talkeetna Mnts in 1977l

My 10 Buck shot it when I was 21. Did the mount myself.

15 pound rainbow I caught living in South Dakota.

Wood duck I shot and mounted when I was about 22. My MC Shooting badge is stuck on the side of the driftwood.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#7]
You say you would shoot the "right" animal. Is it safe to assume that you have never shot one before then? So you have never experienced the excitement that comes with success? Therefore wanting to share that moment with others? Especially arfcom.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Ashamed of myself...

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 9:55:33 AM EDT
[#9]
OP wonders why we take pics of our kills.  I wonder why those of us who claim to go as far as honoring the "soul" of the animal by praying over it (really?) can't take 30 seconds to cut the dangling tongue out of the mouth of the animal we just "honored" before we start snapping pics.

Maybe OP and those with similar sensitivities wouldn't get their panties in such a twist if we all thought about that prior to preserving the memory of a great hunt with pictures.

That little bit of prep work really does make a difference in the quality of the pic, not only for our viewing pleasure but for all those that may be a bit squeamish about hunting, as well.

CUT OUT THE TONGUE before you take that pic of the next bull, buck, doe, bear, hog, or coyote you shoot.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP wonders why we take pics of our kills.  I wonder why those of us who claim to go as far as honoring the "soul" of the animal by praying over it (really?) can't take 30 seconds to cut the dangling tongue out of the mouth of the animal we just "honored" before we start snapping pics.

Maybe OP and those with similar sensitivities wouldn't get their panties in such a twist if we all thought about that prior to preserving the memory of a great hunt with pictures.

That little bit of prep work really does make a difference in the quality of the pic, not only for our viewing pleasure but for all those that may be a bit squeamish about hunting, as well.

CUT OUT THE TONGUE before you take that pic of the next bull, buck, doe, bear, hog, or coyote you shoot.

View Quote

No
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cut the tongue off?  The fuck?  Why should I cut the tongue out because of some pussy who cant face the vison of a dead animal?  Why don't we stop making scary black rifles  becuase people get upset at the sight
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well, not all men are squeamish about a kill. There you have it.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:37:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:37:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

How about you just push it's tongue back in it's mouth, save cutting up the animal until after the trophy pictures, and then stop getting all twisted up about what everyone else does?
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I wanted to remember my hunting trip with my daughter, and her first deer.  Pretty good reason, I think.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Hunting is a sport, many people are proud of their accomplishments.

Have you never had your picture taken after accomplishing something while engaging in your sport of choice?

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

if you think its bad that animals have tongues, you will never guess whats on the inside
just for you
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#21]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.
http://i60.tinypic.com/33onp91.jpg

I'll second that NO!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:01:57 AM EDT
[#22]
I want to enshrine all my murder moments in the bush in nice glossy 8x10s...

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Guns out, tongues out
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:12:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Has the OP posted proof of his "hunting license" yet???

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Same thing happens to me when l see a billboard with a picture of  someone buying a prepackaged steak.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#27]
So that I can have some memories about all the prep and time and effort I put into it, and savor how much I enjoyed those times.

Also, regarding your comments about your dad, you are missing an opportunity to take part and shore those memories with him.  He probably wishes you would be involved.  My dad died a few years ago and I cherish the many years we spent hunting together, and am very thankful for all the kill pics we have together.  At his memorial there was 15 minutes solid of hunting pics slideshow and not a single family member or friend had a dry eye, because hunting with his kids was what he loved to do more than anything else.

Here he is looking old school badass.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#28]
To preserve the memory of the hunt is why I document my success with photos.  I've started keeping a digital journal of my hunts as well.  I enjoy scrolling back through the details of previous hunts.....photos only add to the experience/memory/nostalgia.  Here is a photo of my latest successful hunt.  Hiked three miles into the White Mountains with my wife and harvested four ptarmigan.  It was a good day.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
To preserve the memory of the hunt is why I document my success with photos.  I've started keeping a digital journal of my hunts as well.  I enjoy scrolling back through the details of previous hunts.....photos only add to the experience/memory/nostalgia.  Here is a photo of my latest successful hunt.  Hiked three miles into the White Mountains with my wife and harvested four ptarmigan.  It was a good day.
http://i1309.photobucket.com/albums/s623/payneby97/1E71C1EE-B2FF-4162-8AFF-A0DE2E4197E2_zpsk4ya7fzf.jpg
View Quote

+1 for bakelite mag goodness.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've been around guns my whole life. But whenever I see a hunting picture with the hunter holding up the dead animal...well i don't quite get it.  All jokes aside can someone explain this to me?
(edit due to poor choice of words)
EDIT: i am not offended at all, i am not butthurt, im just trying to understand better, i do own a hunting license. Mainly to use the ranges on state game land.
View Quote

you would understand it if you actually hunted. i have a deer i mounted. it took me many years of hunting to get a deer this nice, many hours in the woods... im very proud of it. sometimes you kill a nice animal your first time out... but generally, you have to put some work into it, and when you get  nice animal you want to show it off.

whats so hard to understand?

its not a monster to many... but its the biggest iv ever killed... i have missed one that was a lot bigger.   nothing makes you hate hunting more, than missing a huge maybe once in a lifetime deer. shock.. disappointment.. anger.. disbelief...

heres one of my deer butchers that help me. the little girl in the first pic, is the same in the 3rd. deer was killed around 2000, butcher scene was around 2010.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

you would understand it if you actually hunted. i have a deer i mounted. it took me many years of hunting to get a deer this nice, many hours in the woods... im very proud of it. sometimes you kill a nice animal your first time out... but generally, you have to put some work into it, and when you get  nice animal you want to show it off.

its not a monster to many... but its the biggest iv ever killed... i have missed one that was a lot bigger.   nothing makes you hate hunting more, than missing a huge maybe once in a lifetime deer. shock.. disappointment.. anger.. disbelief...

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/IM000140.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/P5250415.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been around guns my whole life. But whenever I see a hunting picture with the hunter holding up the dead animal...well i don't quite get it.  All jokes aside can someone explain this to me?
(edit due to poor choice of words)
EDIT: i am not offended at all, i am not butthurt, im just trying to understand better, i do own a hunting license. Mainly to use the ranges on state game land.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/IM000140.jpg

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/P5250415.jpg

POSSUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#32]
I obey the laws and don't blast away at anything that moves. So when I finally manage to nab one via a quick clean kill I'm elated about it!

It's like a pic of any other hobby I guess. If you fly remote planes you probably have pics of you and your remote plane on the wall. Or your favorite quilt you knitted. I don't knit or fly planes.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

You can't take pictures of the stalk, or the days you saw nothing but enjoyed sitting in the stand all day. But you can take pictures of the fruits of your hard work.
View Quote

One year I made videos of just about everything we did in the woods! I'm so glad I did. I like reliving those moments, especially since I can't do them right now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:59:14 PM EDT
[#34]

That's pretty cool!
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Well without the trophy shots, people might just assume it was a bunch of dudes in the woods corn holing each other.  With the trophy shot you at least know they were hunting between sessions of essing the dee.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:05:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

The poor animal on the bottom is missing its hindquarters. That couldn't have been a very clean kill
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The poor animal on the bottom is missing its hindquarters. That couldn't have been a very clean kill

I wonder if one of the smaller ones is a dog? I wonder if they used dogs then, they've been domesticated for some time now.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is there a cure for Big City Thinking?

I tend to think there isn't.

«tc2k11»
View Quote
Oh, there's a cure. It's called "real life". They just need to spend some time experiencing it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It is a disgrace to be proud of your kill.

View Quote

No it is not. If you get a good and safe kill where you show grate respect for the animals you have every right to be proud, just as you should be ashamed if you make a bad shot and gamble with the shot. I guess it is the same thing as people showing their achievements on the range where they put x amount of rounds in a tight formation over a long distance.

At least this is how it is in Sweden. We don’t hunt for trophies (although you rarely see us doing headshots since that is too hard in our dense forests). Many hunters put the dead animals on a bead of fir branches and light candles around them; it is a very nice practice.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:16:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
If you have to ask, you'll never understand.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#40]
And I looked upon it, and I saw that it was good.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#41]

Holy shit! What did that critter score?  

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

heres one of my deer butchers that help me. the little girl in the first pic, is the same in the 3rd. deer was killed around 2000, butcher scene was around 2010.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp58/buck19delta/butchering-1.jpg
View Quote

Never knew I was attracted to girls with blooded axes before.. Well well... never to late to expand your sexuality it seems.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I think it's cool that the OP is actually trying to figure this out. The fact that he's put up with so many fucking stupid answers and is still trying to explain he isn't butt hurt makes me think he's serious. Not sure where everyone has came to the conclusion he's butthurt, he seems pretty calm to me.

My answer is because most of the time my dad can't go on trips with me and he's the one that got me started in hunting. My parents still have a wall in their house full of pictures of things I've killed and they still add to it.

Also you take pictures so your great grand kids can see that what they do has been in the family for generations and they can post them on the internet whenever they want.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Because sometimes it's about more than a dead animal.

I was lucky enough to save Buddy my old English Pointer from a trucker that wasn't ever home to take care of him. I got him when he was five years old and had never hunted a day in his life. He was meaner than all hell when I picked him up, it took a few weeks of a lot of attention for him to just want to be around people. We finally started bonding enough that I trusted him to go out in the field just a week before pheasant season, we found a few hens that day and I was glad for that but he was less than impressive to watch.

The next week on the opener I took him out again just me and him to an area that I knew was full of birds. Then it happened, a beautiful stone cold point. I shouldered my gun and yelled "GET 'EM" he pounced and up flew some birds. I knocked one down and he took off after to retrieve it. He didn't bring it back but he did hold it down long enough for me to get there and we had our first bird together.

A few more weeks of just us hunting and I was ready to show him off. I had walked about 200 yards with some uncles and cousins talking my Buddy up when he pointed. up came seven birds, some forward and some behind. I shot two in front and one behind and none of the other guys had even pulled the trigger. I ran back to get the one I shot behind us and when I got back to where I originally stood Buddy had my other birds waiting for me.

I only got two hunting seasons with him before he passed away but nothing compares (to me) to following an English Pointer through the field.

That's what I think about when I look at his pictures. I just wish I would of put the gun down and brought a camera to get a picture of him on point just one time.

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Been a fanatic fisherman my whole life, just caught the hunting bug about two years ago. I take pictures because.........well I don't know, just seems like the thing to do.

THe ones with my kids though, that's different. THose are memories I want to keep.

DId someone say pic thread?

My daughter with her first turkey

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Bravo!

And here, OP, someone else mentioned video...like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxUgSJypNIY

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

]
View Quote

If that is the rifle he used to kill the bear he killed it with what looks like a Mossberg .22....Maybe a 46B.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top