Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:55:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can not believe someone would load such nasty looking ammo. I think all the variables are leaning to the same side on this one, big dent in case, slightly overcharged round, bullet set back to far...kaboom!
All I know is I will never shoot  my AR holding the magwell again.
View Quote

I think he said a lot of the cases were dented when the gun blew up

I have shot plenty of bulk ammo with small dents. Brass is so soft it imediatly forms to the shape of the chamber anyways.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:57:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Bullet on the far right looks set back in this pic.

Do you have a magnet around?  See if it sticks to them.  I'm curious if they are real penetrator tips.

http://i61.tinypic.com/10nhjb4.jpg
View Quote

Every one of them, even the ones without the green tip are magnetic, including the Remington 223.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:58:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do these look like reloads to you?  
View Quote

I have zero experience reloading, but doesn't the fact that you have brass spanning 10 years imply reloads?  You even have 2 different manufacturers.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:02:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote

The LC02/03, only one of the four appears to have primer sealer. Crimp looks intact, but sometimes a primer will still go in. Could just be the lighting, it could be nothing, but I would look at those again.

ETA: I have changed my opinion about the crimp. It's appears to be removed. I'm going to speculate that rounds 1, 2, and 4 in the LC-02/03 pic are reloads.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:04:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The LC02/03, only one of the four appears to have primer sealer. Crimp looks intact, but sometimes a primer will still go in. Could just be the lighting, it could be nothing, but I would look at those again.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oops, just noticed that.  So these could all be factory ammo?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:06:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I have to pull out some examples  to check, but those crimps look to me like they've been reamed.  I don't see any of them actually crimped to the point of contacting the primer which is the only point of the crimp.

Mixed lots of brass plus the above makes me suspect reloads.

The bullets could have been pulled/salvaged from surplus, so the paint doesn't prove much.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:08:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Every one of them, even the ones without the green tip are magnetic, including the Remington 223.

View Quote

Can you double check that? Because that doesnt sound right. M193 projectiles should not be magnetic. Neithers should any 55Gn FMJ reloading components.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a magnet around?  See if it sticks to them.  I'm curious if they are real penetrator tips.

So they could be steel core reloads?

Do pull down bullets still have the green paint?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:11:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Can you double check that? Because that doesnt sound right. M193 projectiles should not be magnetic. Neithers should any 55Gn FMJ reloading components.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just double checked and every one of them sticks to the magnet.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:18:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like these http://www.gotammollc.com/LAKE-CITY-224-62-GRAIN-SS109-STEEL-CORE-BULLETS-p/lcs109pd.htm

Apparently they don't have a green tip.

I guess you could pull them and weigh them.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:19:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

very strange. Got a bullet puller?

If its SS109/M855 projectile they are easy to spot because they are long for the weight.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:21:58 AM EDT
[#12]
So we keep coming back to the ammo.

OP, does the dude really not know if he was shooting reloads or not?

Figure a guy would know if he pulled those out of a fresh, sealed cardboard box or if he got them out of one of those clear baggies at the reload tables of the local gun shows.

If they were new factory LC ammo, has he checked the LOT numbers on the boxes for any past recalls?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:22:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread anywhere so I'll ask.

Have you put a cleaning rod down the barrel to determine if there's still a projectile lodged in there, and if so where it is?

Since it looks like a LOT of pressure exited near the chamber I'm wondering if the bullet was able to make it to the gas port.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:30:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

If its SS109/M855 projectile they are easy to spot because they are long for the weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll pull them tomorrow.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:31:53 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Figure a guy would know if he pulled those out of a fresh, sealed cardboard box or if he got them out of one of those clear baggies at the reload tables of the local gun shows.
If they were new factory LC ammo, has he checked the LOT numbers on the boxes for any past recalls?
View Quote

He's a 12 year old kid.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:32:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread anywhere so I'll ask.

Have you put a cleaning rod down the barrel to determine if there's still a projectile lodged in there, and if so where it is?

Since it looks like a LOT of pressure exited near the chamber I'm wondering if the bullet was able to make it to the gas port.

View Quote

I'll do that tomorrow.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:35:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

He's a 12 year old kid.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's a 12 year old kid.  

Being 12 means he can't buy it. But where did he get it? Someone must have given it to him.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:37:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:37:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

He's a 12 year old kid.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's a 12 year old kid.  

I saw that the 12 year old was shooting, but I assumed your adult friend who you referenced was with him.

The kid should still have an idea what stash of ammo he pulled from to shoot.  Does he just walk into Dad's gun room, pull out guns and handfuls of ammo as he sees fit, before prancing out to go blasting all by himself?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:43:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, that sucks
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:45:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Being 12 means he can't buy it. But where did he get it? Someone must have given it to him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's a 12 year old kid.  

I posted earlier that a friend gave him the ammo.  His brother told me that it was from a bulk pack.  That is all I have.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:47:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I saw that the 12 year old was shooting, but I assumed your adult friend who you referenced was with him.

The kid should still have an idea what stash of ammo he pulled from to shoot.  Does he just walk into Dad's gun room, pull out guns and handfuls of ammo as he sees fit, before prancing out to go blasting all by himself?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He's a 12 year old kid.  

No need to get sarcastic.  

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:47:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  So we keep coming back to the ammo.

He's a 12 year old kid.    

Some posters prance into threads and don't read all the posts before they post.  An adult gave the kid some bulk ammo.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:50:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This is what happens when you purchase from PSA. Their manufacturing is obviously by a bunch of incompetents, it also explains the very cheap pricing...

ETA: You get what you pay for.
View Quote

And 13'ers wonder why they take so much shit.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:53:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I posted earlier that a friend gave him the ammo.  His brother told me that it was from a bulk pack.  That is all I have.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's a 12 year old kid.  

Ah ok. I must have missed that.

So a .223 and 5.56 (over several years) bulk pack? I'd say it's safe to assume it was a gun show reload bulk pack.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:53:40 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Shoot PSA products at your own risk......
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what happens when you purchase from PSA. Their manufacturing is obviously by a bunch of incompetents, it also explains the very cheap pricing...
ETA: You get what you pay for.

So, nothing PSA sells is any good?  

Shoot PSA products at your own risk......
You mean just like every other manufacturer? PSA is no worse than anyone else. Unless you are going to tell me that theirs are the only ARs to ever kaboom?

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:57:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
A case head Sep will vent gases down into the mag well, but will not blow apart the carrier in my experiences.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looking forward to seeing you take it apart.

My answer isn't listed. Case Head Separation.

A case head Sep will vent gases down into the mag well, but will not blow apart the carrier in my experiences.
It can split the bolt so carrier damage is also possible.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:07:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Case head failure.  Federal has been using LCAAP scrap to manufacture this ammo.  Scrap is generated when setting up the machines know a SCAMP machinery.  Since SCAMP machinery operates very fast, lots of scrap can be produced before it is dialed in.  And some of the scrap may not have visible defects.

It isn't the same ammo used by the military.  All production from LCAAP is government property, only foreign sales ammo that is then surprised by the purchasing nation could be legally sold.  

Sorry if you bought into Federal's marketing scam.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:11:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Ammo looks like it is reloads assembled from pull down components; some of which consisted of old brass with original primers still intact.  Even green tip paint looks original but no pics of powder yet.  That could be the tell all.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:13:17 AM EDT
[#30]
The Lake City ammo may be factory, or might be rebuilds from pulled apart M855... I would have to personally handle it to tell. Pictures suck for this.

The main thing I would check for is the neck crimp. Lake City factory neck crimping is distinct... There are a few ways they do it, but none of it looks like what you can do at home or what rebuild companies do.

Primer crimp/sealant looks factory on most of the pictures. But that doesn't mean anything as factory primed Lake City brass is available.

Now the FC rounds... Those catch my eye. Looks like the American Eagle .223 stuff. I have seen problems with that ammo before...

Still need hands on to really tell.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:14:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Some posters prance into threads and don't read all the posts before they post.  An adult gave the kid some bulk ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  So we keep coming back to the ammo.

He's a 12 year old kid.    

But I look fabulous when I do it.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:15:38 AM EDT
[#32]
OP, can you try to get some damn good pictures of the neck crimping on these rounds?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:17:29 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
No need to get sarcastic.  

View Quote

Easy Delta.  I was just making a point.

I do apologize for missing your post about a friend giving it to him.  I did scroll through every page of the thread, but not every post.  

Kid needs to do some investigating on that ammo.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:58:24 AM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:  I saw that the 12 year old was shooting, but I assumed your adult friend who you referenced was with him.

But I look fabulous when I do it.

https://33.media.tumblr.com/f15911b70f5f7acc4fa7c2c551dcded8/tumblr_ndg5ggP5Sw1qbawbjo1_400.gif

Lol.  Fair enough.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 5:54:40 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I see a couple with a ring at the web right where the case head starts This could be a sizing mark or bad brass? Given what you guy's are saying about the quality control they have for this line of ammo I'm leaning toward a case failure.
View Quote
Yep, the ring at the case head looks like a resizing mark to me.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Whoever sold him that ammo owes him a new upper. Poor kid.

For the record, arfcom and it's plethora of knowledge has taught me the dangers of reloads and I avoid them like the plague
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

The Lake City ammo may be factory, or might be rebuilds from pulled apart M855... I would have to personally handle it to tell. Pictures suck for this.

The main thing I would check for is the neck crimp. Lake City factory neck crimping is distinct... There are a few ways they do it, but none of it looks like what you can do at home or what rebuild companies do.

Primer crimp/sealant looks factory on most of the pictures. But that doesn't mean anything as factory primed Lake City brass is available.

Now the FC rounds... Those catch my eye. Looks like the American Eagle .223 stuff. I have seen problems with that ammo before...

View Quote
Lake City is the brass but I would bet a grand it was not assembled and packaged in Lake City Army Ammunition Plant.  That is a GOCO plant, government owned contractor operated.  All produced ammo is property of the US government and cannot be sold or diverted.  Only components that are non explosive can be salvaged, primers must be rendered inert.

The anneal marks also look correct, in SCAMP machinery used only at LCAAP, there is no time in the process to polish the case so this remains.  Commercial ammo is batch processed, allowing for time.

This ammo is not technically reloaded since the cases were never fired.  But they were also never tested and are a result of run up and tuning of SCAMP machinery and could have defects.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:17:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope.  The primer sealant is intact on many rounds, and the factory crimp is as well.    However, they are heavily dented, and the paint is gone from a lot of the M855 bullets.  They look like QC rejects, or the WORST of big bulk boxes of XM855 sold to the public.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:19:02 AM EDT
[#39]
The carrier and bolt can be removed by holding the upper upside down in vise blocks on the barrel, then use a bras drift on the carrier to knock the carrier back.  BT,DT.

This is case head failure, pure and simple.  And it is probably from defective brass.  It isn't LC ammo, only LC brass that is a result of the unique, high speed process used at LCAAP.  When Olin ran the plant, this brass was sold at DRMO, now ATK purchases it and diverts it to Federal where they load it.  Notice all the packaging says it is Federal from Minnesota, not Missouri?  Why?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:21:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Lake City is the brass but I would bet a grand it was not assembled and packaged in Lake City Army Ammunition Plant.  That is a GOCO plant, government owned contractor operated.  All produced ammo is property of the US government and cannot be sold or diverted.  Only components that are non explosive can be salvaged, primers must be rendered inert.  

The anneal marks also look correct, in SCAMP machinery used only at LCAAP, there is no time in the process to polish the case so this remains.  Commercial ammo is batch processed, allowing for time.

This ammo is not technically reloaded since the cases were never fired.  But they were also never tested and are a result of run up and tuning of SCAMP machinery and could have defects.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lake city is operated by federal isn't it? I thought they could sell overruns? Pretty sure I have a few factory sealed cans of lake city ammo from an overrun a few years ago,
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:24:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Despite what the rules are, actual Lake City made M855 ends up on the US markets... White, gray and black.

But yeah, if LC headstamped ammo made a gun explode, my money is not on it being LCAAP made.

The FC stamped American Eagle .223 looking stuff may be the culprit though. There have been other people who claimed it KBed their gun, and I personally saw one cause a very interesting problem because it had no flashhole in the primer pocket... Obviously not the highest quality stuff.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Lake city is operated by federal isn't it? I thought they could sell overruns? Pretty sure I have a few factory sealed cans of lake city ammo from an overrun a few years ago,

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, LCAAP is operated by ATK, the parent company of Federal Cartridge Company.  The laws regarding GOCO production have not changed, there can be no over runs sold on the commercial market.  The only way for actual LCAAP production to enter commercial market is foreign sales that have been sold as surplus, overseas, and then imported back to the US.

Federal has been making us think they are actual LCAAP, down to the use of similar colored sealants.  But the SCAMP process leaves several distinguishing marks, namely bullet and primer crimp.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:29:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nope, LCAAP is operated by ATK, the parent company of Federal Cartridge Company.  The laws regarding GOCO production have not changed, there can be no over runs sold on the commercial market.  The only way for actual LCAAP production to enter commercial market is foreign sales that have been sold as surplus, overseas, and then imported back to the US.  

Federal has been making us think they are actual LCAAP, down to the use of similar colored sealants.  But the SCAMP process leaves several distinguishing marks, namely bullet and primer crimp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remember when Ammoman was selling that stuff? I wish I had bought way more.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View Quote
It looks like that Lake City m855 PD ammo that was around years ago. I still have a can of it with same era head stamps that I have not been brave enough to shoot. I have read several horror stories on this site about that stuff.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
It looks like that Lake City m855 PD ammo that was around years ago. I still have a can of it with same era head stamps that I have not been brave enough to shoot. I have read several horror stories on this site about that stuff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did we ever find out if the one with the pretzel in it was fake?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably.  No way that could make it through automated measurement and dispensing mechanisms.  But it could have been in the case prior to charging.

The scuttlebutt from FC about the meaning of PD was quite interesting, especially those of us who had purchased PD powder back in the 1990s.  We knew it was pull down, from required demil of ammo at LCAAP.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#47]
I tried to remove the bcg and it's not moving.  Taking it in to the gunsmith this afternoon.  Will post pics when I get the parts back.  I will pull the bullets later and post pics.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I tried to remove the bcg and it's not moving.  Taking it in to the gunsmith this afternoon.  Will post pics when I get the parts back.  I will pull the bullets later and post pics.  
View Quote

Do you have a hacksaw or a dremel? I would just make a cut around the receiver in the area of the ejection port (like cutting the receiver in half, but work your way around so you're not cutting through the BCG).  I would try that before paying someone, since the receiver is destroyed already.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
be sure to pull a couple rounds of the ammo and see how much powder is in them
View Quote

Without knowing EXACTLY what kind of powder was used, this is absolutely pointless. There are many safe pressure loads that are compression loads. Totally depends on the type of powder.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top