Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The irony of responses in this thread and the three feet rule thread is palpable
"Ride on the sidewalk! "" Vehicular manslaughter! "
View Quote

I think we just want them to pick.

Either be a vehicle and act accordingly, or be a pedestrian and act accordingly.

This special treatment bullshit of wanting to have it whatever way is most convenient at the moment is for the birds.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

A cyclist pedaling a $4,000 racing bike at high speed through Central Park slammed into a suburban mom in town shopping for her daughter’s birthday present — leaving the woman brain-dead, sources said.

Jill Tarlov, 59, of Fairfield, Conn., the wife of a CBS executive, was in a crosswalk near 63rd Street when Jason Marshall, 31, came barreling along West Drive at around 4:30 p.m. and yelled for her to get out of his way, law enforcement sources said.

Tarlov was rushed to New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where she was declared brain-dead, the sources said.

Tarlov, whose husband, Michael Wittman, is a senior vice president at CBS, was out shopping for her daughter’s present when she was tragically struck, sources said.

Marshall, an accomplished baritone saxophone player, was pedaling a pricey Jamis Eclipse racing bike when he spotted the woman in the crosswalk at an intersection controlled by a traffic light, sources said.

"He was riding in the car lane and yelling, 'Get out of the way! Get out of the way!'" one source said.

It was unclear who had the light, but Marshall — who remained at the scene — "admits to being in the wrong lane," the source added.

Marshall was at the Central Park Precinct station house Thursday night and cops were talking to the Manhattan DA’s Office about possible charges.

View Quote

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/19/woman-brain-dead-after-getting-hit-by-high-speed-cyclist-in-central-park/
View Quote

Biased article is biased.

All of this bluster in Blue - how expensive the bike is - what the fuck does that have to do with anything? - how expensive were the woman's shoes?  who fucking cares.  He was barreling along.. yes, precisely the function of a bicycle.   and then the kicker ... its "Unclear" who was in the wrong..  in other words it is just as possible that the woman stepped into the intersection right into front of the poor cycling when the cyclists light was green, and they collided despite his yelled warning just before collision.  Yet the article portrays this like he was some speed demon on a death mission.  pending confirmation of the part in red, i call bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
what relevance does the price of the bike bring to the story?

what if it was a $40 Saturday night special Craigslist special?
View Quote

It shows how stupid he is for spending that much on a child's toy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Now where is the "Just ride your bike on the sidewalk!" crowd

I'm a bicycle rider myself, but mostly for commuting.  Commuters are mostly nice.  I've had other bikes blow right through a crosswalk as I was entering it, *after* cars had stopped, but the cyclist couldn't be bothered to slow down.  They had lots of logos on their spandex so they must have lots of "sponsors".

Also, ban $4000 racing bikes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Wait, wait, wait a minute, you're saying a cyclist was riding like an asshole? Stunning
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:25:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Cost matters why?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:28:57 PM EDT
[#7]
This guy should hang for making another democrat.  She was probably republican until she became brain dead.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:30:30 PM EDT
[#8]
In before bike speed limits are implemented.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Because a person with a 4k bike should have the skills and brains to use it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah just like people who drive Cadillacs always signal

They're both idiots for not paying attention.  It's her job to be mindful of where she's walking just like it's his job to be mindful of where he's riding.  Sucks that she died but shit happens.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:33:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This guy should hang for making another democrat.  She was probably republican until she became brain dead.
View Quote

Wut??  How did you deduce that?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've never had a problem with cyclist but I've been encountering a higher than normal level of ass holes on bikes recently. Last weekend I watched one give a car the finger because it drove by him in the right lane and he wanted to ride in the right lane instead of the bike lane.
View Quote

If your location didn't say FL I would ask if you live in Austin.  They are becoming a real issue here in Austin, but than again if there is a liberal, green idea you can bet the Austin city council supports and coddles it.  It's getting fucking ridiculous here, at any given time in S. Austin on the main roads during the weekend you can bet they are clogging up not only their own lane but most of the right lane as well.

I hate to see innocent people get hurt, but sometimes I wouldn't mind seeing an inattentive driver plow over some of the more asshole bike riders.  Kind of a case of "when assholes collide".

All I have to say is that according to the laws of men the rider has the right of way, but according to the laws of physics that 2000+ pound vehicle, moving over the speed limit and being driven by a text messaging Texan, trumps the laws of man and will kill you deader than shit.  Why would you take that chance?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Wut?? How did you deduce that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This guy should hang for making another democrat. She was probably republican until she became brain dead.

It's a joke.  Democrats are brain dead.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:35:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If he has to explain the joke you probably won't see the humor in it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Charge him for reckless homicide or whatever else you'd charge him with if he'd been driving a car.
View Quote

This.  But the Hippie Bike Lovers will let him off with a light sentence if anything.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Charge him for reckless homicide or whatever else you'd charge him with if he'd been driving a car.
View Quote

so if we are unclear who had the light, basically the situation as presented could clearly have been better represented as "I was tooling along and this woman jumped out right in front of me and wham".. = reckless homicide to you?  just checking because it clearly states "it is unclear who had the signal" it also doesnt cover the time between the woman stepping out and the collision - e.g. it could have been insufficient to stop.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Need some more facts before commenting.  If he was traveling on a green light and she was in a crosswalk crossing his path, and that crosswalk had signals and the signal governing her movement was a steady RED HAND then its her fault.  If he was disobeying any traffic signal then its his fault.  If there were no signals, but rather just a painted crosswalk and only a lookout sign, then I'd default to the law which means he would have been liable to stop for pedestrians in that crosswalk.

So much for "looking both ways" before crossing though.  One should never ASSUME oncoming traffic will stop.  You can be legally in the right, but that doesn't stop you from being legally brain dead.
View Quote

IIRC, a pedestrian in a crosswalk always has the right of way.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Speed limit for bikes is 25mph in the park.  Combined with not yielding to pedestrians, I'd agree in charging him same as if he were driving a car.
View Quote

He could have braked, dumped the bike or gone around her instead of yelling "get out the the way....get  out the the way"
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:44:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Part of me wishes the husband of the woman could be given a baseball bat and 5 uninterrupted minutes with the cyclist.  I'd let the cyclist live, but deprive him forever of the use of his arms and legs.
View Quote

Eye for an eye and all that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:45:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I am surprised they posted the cost of the bike like it really matters...
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#21]
IIT: Butthurt cyclists exposed.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

"No honest man needs more than 3 speeds."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ban assault bikes for the children.

You don't need 18 speeds to kill a deer.

But apparently you can kill a pedestrian with a high capacity gearset.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Need some more facts before commenting.  If he was traveling on a green light and she was in a crosswalk crossing his path, and that crosswalk had signals and the signal governing her movement was a steady RED HAND then its her fault.  If he was disobeying any traffic signal then its his fault.  If there were no signals, but rather just a painted crosswalk and only a lookout sign, then I'd default to the law which means he would have been liable to stop for pedestrians in that crosswalk.

So much for "looking both ways" before crossing though.  One should never ASSUME oncoming traffic will stop.  You can be legally in the right, but that doesn't stop you from being legally brain dead.
View Quote

Almost verbatim what I was gonna type.

No matter who is legally at fault, she could have prevented her death by paying attention.

I've avoided several accidents that would not have been my fault but most likely would have been my death.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#24]
http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com

As for the incident itself, naturally I'm disgusted, so learning about it first from an NYPD detective who felt like breaking my balls was particularly vexing.  Sure, motorists do this and worse pretty much every single day, but that that doesn't diminish my disgust one bit.  The very worst Freds and Tridorks--in fact the very worsts cyclists period--are the ones using the parks to launch their personal hour record attempts, and if this is the same Jason Marshall's Strava account (which I'm fairly sure it is) then it looks like he makes a habit of it:

I'm loath to implicate Strava in any of this.  Yes, I have a strong dislike for Strava and all it represents (in particular this sort of riding) that goes past simple annoyance and borders on a moral objection.   But it certainly did not invent the sort of selfish, moronic, abjectly fuck-tarted weenie-ism that compels cyclists to speed through the city's most heavily-used neighborhood green spaces and tourist attractions in the middle of the day, in beautiful weather, at exactly the time people head to the park.  Instead, it simply capitalizes on it, and fairly shamelessly.

To blame Strava at all is to take responsibility from the riders.  There's no reason to be doing hot laps in the middle of the goddamn city.  There are miles of open road just over the George Washington Bridge.   There are also actual races in either Central or Prospect Parks pretty much every weekend--sanctioned ones, with marshals and everything.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#26]
ban banana seat riding spandex wearing homofags
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:32:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you are correct sir

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's like saying the guy with the $4000 rifle should have the skills and brains to use it.  If it had been a $15k bike I might have been impressed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#29]
It is sad to hear.  Would democrats ban bikes?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This guy should hang for making another democrat. She was probably republican until she became brain dead.

Since it says "suburban mom", she was likely a brain dead democrat to begin with.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do life memberships come with a lobotomy now?   Calling a bike a child's toy rates up pretty high with one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard.  Can you please enlighten us as to what makes a bike a toy?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:35:21 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you are correct sir
http://paceperformance.com/images/F15186008.jpg

LOL
Actually the 3 speed '69 Corvette is my favorite Vette.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

As it should be and I ride bikes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with this. He was in the wring lane and travelling too fast for the conditions. Cite him exactly like you would someone in a car.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#35]

As for the incident itself, naturally I'm disgusted, so learning about it first from an NYPD detective who felt like breaking my balls was particularly vexing.  Sure, motorists do this and worse pretty much every single day, but that that doesn't diminish my disgust one bit.  The very worst Freds and Tridorks--in fact the very worsts cyclists period--are the ones using the parks to launch their personal hour record attempts, and if this is the same Jason Marshall's Strava account (which I'm fairly sure it is) then it looks like he makes a habit of it:

I'm loath to implicate Strava in any of this.  Yes, I have a strong dislike for Strava and all it represents (in particular this sort of riding) that goes past simple annoyance and borders on a moral objection.   But it certainly did not invent the sort of selfish, moronic, abjectly fuck-tarted weenie-ism that compels cyclists to speed through the city's most heavily-used neighborhood green spaces and tourist attractions in the middle of the day, in beautiful weather, at exactly the time people head to the park.  Instead, it simply capitalizes on it, and fairly shamelessly.

To blame Strava at all is to take responsibility from the riders.  There's no reason to be doing hot laps in the middle of the goddamn city.  There are miles of open road just over the George Washington Bridge.   There are also actual races in either Central or Prospect Parks pretty much every weekend--sanctioned ones, with marshals and everything.  

I came here to post this

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#36]
If I were the judge, I wouldn't jail that bicyclist.  Accidents do happen, etc. etc.

BUT, I would order him to only ride a hot pink girl's bike, with training wheels, and a spandex day-glo jersey with "I run over pedestrians" on it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

In my experience you dont cross in NYC without a signal
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:26:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like in the other threads we are constantly told that the "cyclist" always has the right of way over a car, you know when its convenient to label "cyclists" as a "pedestrian".
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com

View Quote

Interesting insight on what goes on in Central Park with regards to bicycling. The reckless biker apparently admitted to being in the wrong lane FWIW, swerved to avoid a "group of pedestrians" and collided with the unfortunate victim.
Also- the "$4000 racing bike" reference shows this was not some casual rider on a street cruiser. (Yes I know a racing bike can cost MUCH more). It points out though, that this was a somewhat serious rider out making time. Now some one is dead due to his actions.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#40]
I say "Bring back velodromes"

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#41]
I suppose applying the brakes was out of the question for the Cyclist.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Even if she was, the bicyclist is still at fault.  He should have ditched the bike instead of hitting her.  His speeding in a park is nothing short of wanton reckless conduct that resulted in vehicular manslaughter.  He needs some time out in prison.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if she was texting and not paying attention?

Even if she was, the bicyclist is still at fault.  He should have ditched the bike instead of hitting her.  His speeding in a park is nothing short of wanton reckless conduct that resulted in vehicular manslaughter.  He needs some time out in prison.

what specific info in the linked article clearly defines who had right of way, if the cyclist was speeding, if the woman stepped out in traffic unlawfully, etc?

I'm not sure what "he was in the wrong lane" means in this particular case.

If the cyclist was violating any rules of the road he should be charged appropriately.  Punishment should be in line with what a car driver would receive under similar circumstances.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:52:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

This

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I don't know of many people who would endorse a motorist speeding through a cross walk while a cyclist is walking his bike across.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The irony of responses in this thread and the three feet rule thread is palpable

"Ride on the sidewalk! "" Vehicular manslaughter! "

I don't know of many people who would endorse a motorist speeding through a cross walk while a cyclist is walking his bike across.

Did you read the "bicycle 3ft clearance" thread?  there's a whole bunch of people that are on your list...........
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Bingo. A $4,000 racing bike probably comes equipped with brakes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The guy on the bike sounds like a self centered asshole...can't put my finger on exactly why. Just does.

First clue NYC, second clue bicycle.
Plus if he had enough time to yell at her to get out of the crosswalk, he had enough time to slow down.  

Bingo. A $4,000 racing bike probably comes equipped with brakes.

Exactly... at what point do you decide rather than hit someone while riding your bike do you stop the effing bike.... sounds like an asshole to me...
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

A cyclist pedaling a $4,000 racing bike at high speed through Central Park slammed into a suburban mom in town shopping for her daughter’s birthday present — leaving the woman brain-dead, sources said.

Jill Tarlov, 59, of Fairfield, Conn., the wife of a CBS executive, was in a crosswalk near 63rd Street when Jason Marshall, 31, came barreling along West Drive at around 4:30 p.m. and yelled for her to get out of his way, law enforcement sources said.

Tarlov was rushed to New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where she was declared brain-dead, the sources said.

Tarlov, whose husband, Michael Wittman, is a senior vice president at CBS, was out shopping for her daughter’s present when she was tragically struck, sources said.

Marshall, an accomplished baritone saxophone player, was pedaling a pricey Jamis Eclipse racing bike when he spotted the woman in the crosswalk at an intersection controlled by a traffic light, sources said.

"He was riding in the car lane and yelling, 'Get out of the way! Get out of the way!'" one source said.

It was unclear who had the light, but Marshall — who remained at the scene — "admits to being in the wrong lane," the source added.

Marshall was at the Central Park Precinct station house Thursday night and cops were talking to the Manhattan DA’s Office about possible charges.

View Quote

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/19/woman-brain-dead-after-getting-hit-by-high-speed-cyclist-in-central-park/
View Quote
can they just report the news without trying to tell a fucking story

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I suppose applying the brakes was out of the question for the Cyclist.
View Quote

Does that bike even HAVE brakes?

From the picture, it sure doesn't have a cable to the front wheel....
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

$4k racing bikes are more evil than $120 Wal-Mart bikes you know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$4,000 racing bike?!?!

Man, sure sounds like how they advertise salt weapons

I can see the next SAFE act... ban RACING BIKES!

$4k racing bikes are more evil than $120 Wal-Mart bikes you know.

Well they go faster. We should ban high capacity bikes, with evil  features like clip-ons and titanium bar-ends.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#49]
"yelled for her to get out of the way"?

Hang the bastard piece of shit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top