Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

$4k racing bikes are more evil than $120 Wal-Mart bikes you know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$4,000 racing bike?!?!

Man, sure sounds like how they advertise salt weapons

I can see the next SAFE act... ban RACING BIKES!

'cause he probably got it up to much more speed than he would have on a $120 bike.

That, and he thinks his shit don't stink.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

'cause he probably got it up to much more speed than he would have on a $120 bike.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$4,000 racing bike?!?!

Yeah! that's some great logic and projection right there.

Do you anti-gun too?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it normal for New Yorkers, when running or cycling, to scream for people to "Get the fuck out of the way!" and if they don't comply, they simply slam into them or push them out of the way?

I ask because a girl I went to high school with moved to NYC, then came to PR for one summer and we went running together.

She screamed at people to "get the fuck out of the way." I seriously thought she was going to start a couple of fights that night.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Do you anti-gun too?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$4,000 racing bike?!?!

Do you anti-gun too?

Quoted:
Is it normal for New Yorkers, when running or cycling, to scream for people to "Get the fuck out of the way!" and if they don't comply, they simply slam into them or push them out of the way?

I ask because a girl I went to high school with moved to NYC, then came to PR for one summer and we went running together.
She screamed at people to "get the fuck out of the way." I seriously thought she was going to start a couple of fights that night.

That's par for the course for those people; unless you too are projecting and are anti gun same as me.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:55:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It shows how stupid he is for spending that much on a child's toy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what relevance does the price of the bike bring to the story?

what if it was a $40 Saturday night special Craigslist special?

It shows how stupid he is for spending that much on a child's toy.

Someone's jealous...................................
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hey, it's only fair if they want to be treated like cars.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Charge him for reckless homicide or whatever else you'd charge him with if he'd been driving a car.

Hey, it's only fair if they want to be treated like cars.
No No worries. I'm sure that his liability insurance will cover it.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I like in the other threads we are constantly told that the "cyclist" always has the right of way over a car, you know when its convenient to label "cyclists" as a "pedestrian".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need some more facts before commenting.  If he was traveling on a green light and she was in a crosswalk crossing his path, and that crosswalk had signals and the signal governing her movement was a steady RED HAND then its her fault.  If he was disobeying any traffic signal then its his fault.  If there were no signals, but rather just a painted crosswalk and only a lookout sign, then I'd default to the law which means he would have been liable to stop for pedestrians in that crosswalk.

So much for "looking both ways" before crossing though.  One should never ASSUME oncoming traffic will stop.  You can be legally in the right, but that doesn't stop you from being legally brain dead.

IIRC, a pedestrian in a crosswalk always has the right of way.

I like in the other threads we are constantly told that the "cyclist" always has the right of way over a car, you know when its convenient to label "cyclists" as a "pedestrian".

Who has said cyclists always have the ROW over a car?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Duck into one of the bicycle threads sometime. Even implying that not all bicyclists obey the law get some of the people foaming at the mouth.
There's also the whole bicyclists sometimes want to be treated like vehicles, riding in the street, and sometimes want to be pedestrians, skipping into the crosswalk or sidewalk to avoid a stop sign or red light.

ETA: I'm not saying there aren't obnoxious car drivers. Just describing what I see bicycles doing daily. And the responses I see in some threads.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"yelled for her to get out of the way"?

Hang the bastard piece of shit.
View Quote

How far apart were the cyclist and pedestrian when the rider yelled?  Did the rider have enough distance to stop?  He may have been braking and yelling simultaneously...................
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#10]
the cyclist is a dreadlocked messenger of doom riding aerobars in a tuck, trying to beat a clock

Tarlov was in the city shopping for her daughter’s birthday present

when she was struck by professional saxophone player Jason Marshall

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:04:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Plus if he had enough time to yell at her to get out of the crosswalk, he had enough time to slow down.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The guy on the bike sounds like a self centered asshole...can't put my finger on exactly why. Just does.

First clue NYC, second clue bicycle.
Plus if he had enough time to yell at her to get out of the crosswalk, he had enough time to slow down.  

Slow down? They don't slow down for red lights and stops signs, what makes you think they would slow down for a person in a x walk?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
In before bike speed limits are implemented.
View Quote

There already  are; 25 MPH.

http://www.centralparknyc.org/things-to-see-and-do/attractions/bicycling.html
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Duck into one of the bicycle threads sometime. Even implying that not all bicyclists obey the law get some of the people foaming at the mouth.
There's also the whole bicyclists sometimes want to be treated like vehicles, riding in the street, and sometimes want to be pedestrians, skipping into the crosswalk or sidewalk to avoid a stop sign or red light.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in most of the cycling threads. Look at my comments in the "bicycle 3ft clearance" thread - I've said there are douchebags  on bicycles. The foaming at the mouth comes from the "bikes are toys, they don't pay taxes, they belong on the sidewalk" people.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:07:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
IIT: Butthurt cyclists exposed.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Campus cops in College Station in the 80s and 90s would ticket bikes for running stop signs, wrong way down a one way street, and for speeding. 10-15 MPH posted is for all road traffic.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So much for "looking both ways" before crossing though.  One should never ASSUME oncoming traffic will stop.  You can be legally in the right, but that doesn't stop you from being legally brain dead.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Campus cops in College Station in the 80s and 90s would ticket bikes for running stop signs, wrong way down a one way street, and for speeding. 10-15 MPH posted is for all road traffic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They ticket bikes in NYC all the time because they speed, disobey traffic signals, ride in the wrong lane, and hurt a lot of pedestrians who don't see them riding silently at such high speeds in the improper lane where the pedestrians don't expect to see them.

They also have a habit of yelling for pedestrians to get out of the way without wanting to slow down for them whether or not they have the right of way.

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They ticket bikes in NYC all the time because they speed, disobey traffic signals, ride in the wrong lane, and hurt a lot of pedestrians who don't see them riding silently at such high speeds in the improper lane where the pedestrians don't expect to see them.

They also have a habit of yelling for pedestrians to get out of the way without wanting to slow down for them whether or not they have the right of way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, I think I saw a thread about that last bit in GD.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#20]
up here the cyclist would be liable, but up here a cyclist must follow the rules of the road as if they were riding a motorcycle or driving a car... a lot don't but tickets are issued. If I dismount from my bicycle to cross in a crosswalk (the only legal way for a cyclist to use a crosswalk here) I magically become a pedestrian with all the rights associated with them. I have been teaching my sons to dismount to cross roads, they are moving slowed that way so they are easier to see, and they then have the right of way, as opposed to being a cyclist and (theoretically) having to follow the rules of the road.

I despise cyclists that ride like assholes and try to act as though they are pedestrians, just as much as I hate pedestrians that just walk out in front without checking, especially if they are not in a crosswalk (I almost got one tonight, she looked positively shocked when I barely got stopped before hitting her, dumbasses abound)
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
up here the cyclist would be liable, but up here a cyclist must follow the rules of the road as if they were riding a motorcycle or driving a car... a lot don't but tickets are issued. If I dismount from my bicycle to cross in a crosswalk (the only legal way for a cyclist to use a crosswalk here) I magically become a pedestrian with all the rights associated with them. I have been teaching my sons to dismount to cross roads, they are moving slowed that way so they are easier to see, and they then have the right of way, as opposed to being a cyclist and (theoretically) having to follow the rules of the road.

I despise cyclists that ride like assholes and try to act as though they are pedestrians, just as much as I hate pedestrians that just walk out in front without checking, especially if they are not in a crosswalk (I almost got one tonight, she looked positively shocked when I barely got stopped before hitting her, dumbasses abound)
View Quote

Good idea. I almost killed a jogger, with my car, who crossed after the warning started. They were running, and were blocked by the other cars at the light. There was nobody in my lane and the light was green when I was 25-30 yards away, so I hadn't slowed down.

I also drive a motorcycle and I try to make sure I don't do things cars can't, because people aren't looking for stuff like that and it's a good way to die.

ETA: grammar. Horrible, horrible grammar
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ban assault bikes for the children.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Does that bike even HAVE brakes?

From the picture, it sure doesn't have a cable to the front wheel....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I suppose applying the brakes was out of the question for the Cyclist.

Yes it does. Of course it does.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:04:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Charge him for reckless homicide or whatever else you'd charge him with if he'd been driving a car.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

$4K racing bike...oh my.

Actually that's probably about a mid-entry level bike at that price range. But hey, anything to sauce up the story.
View Quote

I came here to post this.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The guy on the bike sounds like a self centered asshole...can't put my finger on exactly why. Just does.
View Quote

Umm, because he ran her down?  This was no accident, it was an intentional assault.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Vehicular Homicide?

View Quote

Thats what I'd charge him with.  25 years in state prision for the perp for the one I witnessed a few years back.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:28:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
$4K racing bike...oh my.

Actually that's probably about a mid-entry level bike at that price range.  But hey, anything to sauce up the story.
View Quote

Fuckstick leaves a woman brain dead and you want to be glib over the cost of the damn bike?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:28:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I wonder if she was texting and not paying attention?
View Quote

Yeah, it's all her fault.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Need some more facts before commenting.  If he was traveling on a green light and she was in a crosswalk crossing his path, and that crosswalk had signals and the signal governing her movement was a steady RED HAND then its her fault.  If he was disobeying any traffic signal then its his fault.  If there were no signals, but rather just a painted crosswalk and only a lookout sign, then I'd default to the law which means he would have been liable to stop for pedestrians in that crosswalk.

View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#31]

shoulder things that go up?

Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I don't know of many people who would endorse a motorist speeding through a cross walk while a cyclist is walking his bike across.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The irony of responses in this thread and the three feet rule thread is palpable

"Ride on the sidewalk! "" Vehicular manslaughter! "

I don't know of many people who would endorse a motorist speeding through a cross walk while a cyclist is walking his bike across.

And yet they do, all the time.  In front of stores, at intersections, crossing over sidewalks to enter traffic, etc., etc.  For the most part common courtesy is forgotten the instant someone gets behind a wheel.  I know I'm guilty of it sometimes.  Add loud music, eating and drinking, fucking around with a phone and there are a ton of distracted drivers on the road.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I wonder if she was texting and not paying attention?
View Quote

In most locales running down a pedestrian in a crosswalk is frowned upon.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#34]
In 2012 I was visiting my in-laws. Took a walk in Central Park, was greeted by "Get da fuck otta my way..." by a cyclist (escorted by finest NYPD), but still was able to hit that fucker with heavy stick that I was caring at the time
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:50:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yup.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IIT: Butthurt cyclists exposed.

Yup.

Like a LE UoF thread this one exposes those that lack critical thinking skills.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:52:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Umm, because he ran her down?  This was no accident, it was an intentional assault.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there new info that supports this claim?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Tour De New York
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:29:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please educate this Automotive technician as to where this BRAKE is, and how it is operated!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:43:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Please educate this Automotive technician as to where this BRAKE is, and how it is operated!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you look closely, you can see the caliper assembly on the front wheel mounted to the front of the frame.  There is a cable running to it.  The aero bars on the center do not have brake levers but the gear shifting assemblies on the ends of the handlebars do.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:05:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Biased article is biased.

All of this bluster in Blue - how expensive the bike is - what the fuck does that have to do with anything? - how expensive were the woman's shoes?  who fucking cares.  He was barreling along.. yes, precisely the function of a bicycle.   and then the kicker ... its "Unclear" who was in the wrong..  in other words it is just as possible that the woman stepped into the intersection right into front of the poor cycling when the cyclists light was green, and they collided despite his yelled warning just before collision.  Yet the article portrays this like he was some speed demon on a death mission.  pending confirmation of the part in red, i call bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A cyclist pedaling a $4,000 racing bike at high speed through Central Park slammed into a suburban mom in town shopping for her daughter’s birthday present — leaving the woman brain-dead, sources said.

Jill Tarlov, 59, of Fairfield, Conn., the wife of a CBS executive, was in a crosswalk near 63rd Street when Jason Marshall, 31, came barreling along West Drive at around 4:30 p.m. and yelled for her to get out of his way, law enforcement sources said.

Tarlov was rushed to New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where she was declared brain-dead, the sources said.

Tarlov, whose husband, Michael Wittman, is a senior vice president at CBS, was out shopping for her daughter’s present when she was tragically struck, sources said.

Marshall, an accomplished baritone saxophone player, was pedaling a pricey Jamis Eclipse racing bike when he spotted the woman in the crosswalk at an intersection controlled by a traffic light, sources said.

"He was riding in the car lane and yelling, 'Get out of the way! Get out of the way!'" one source said.

It was unclear who had the light, but Marshall — who remained at the scene — "admits to being in the wrong lane," the source added.

Marshall was at the Central Park Precinct station house Thursday night and cops were talking to the Manhattan DA’s Office about possible charges.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/19/woman-brain-dead-after-getting-hit-by-high-speed-cyclist-in-central-park/

Biased article is biased.

All of this bluster in Blue - how expensive the bike is - what the fuck does that have to do with anything? - how expensive were the woman's shoes?  who fucking cares.  He was barreling along.. yes, precisely the function of a bicycle.   and then the kicker ... its "Unclear" who was in the wrong..  in other words it is just as possible that the woman stepped into the intersection right into front of the poor cycling when the cyclists light was green, and they collided despite his yelled warning just before collision.  Yet the article portrays this like he was some speed demon on a death mission.  pending confirmation of the part in red, i call bullshit.

Agreed.  The dude, just as likely, was riding in the car lane because he was riding as fast as a car in the park and rather than be in the bike lane with a bunch of slow pokes on a family ride he chose the sensible thing and chose the lane that matched his speed.  As others have said she could have been crossing during a no crossing sign while he has the green light thinking since she didn't hear a car coming it was safe.  Happens all the time to anyone fast on a bike (people cutting across your path) because equate a bike with doing 10 miles per hour.

Same thing would have happened if a Nissan Leaf was coming instead of a $4000 racing assault bike with 30 gears.

ETA - If the dude was too busy setting a new Strava segment record and slingshotting past cars then it's his ass deservedly so.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:20:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Now where is the "Just ride your bike on the sidewalk!" crowd

I'm a bicycle rider myself, but mostly for commuting.  Commuters are mostly nice.  I've had other bikes blow right through a crosswalk as I was entering it, *after* cars had stopped, but the cyclist couldn't be bothered to slow down.  They had lots of logos on their spandex so they must have lots of "sponsors".

Also, ban $4000 racing bikes.
View Quote

I ride my bike on the sidewalks instead of the street when I have to. I also don't speed on them,yell at everyone to get out of my way like an asshole and think I'm king of the pavement.  I can't count how many times I've almost had to sideswipe a car next to me because some ass wipe biker thinks riding 3 feet from the curb is a good idea.

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:25:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

This 30 year bicycle mechanic will be happy to educate you.

The above bike is a newer version of the same manufacturer's bike.  You can clearly see brake levers on the end of each handlebar (front on the left).  In the case of the 2015 model pictured the caliper is built into the rear of the fork for better aerodynamics.  Cables are partially routed through the hollow bars.  On the bike in the incident the photo is crappy but you can sort of pick up the more traditional dual pivot caliper on the front of the fork and the same levers on the same bars.

Here's an older model year Trek with the same brake set up as the dude.  From the side the little bit of cable run outside the bars is obvious.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:18:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I ride my bike on the sidewalks instead of the street when I have to. I also don't speed on them,yell at everyone to get out of my way like an asshole and think I'm king of the pavement.  I can't count how many times I've almost had to sideswipe a car next to me because some ass wipe biker thinks riding 3 feet from the curb is a good idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a bicycle rider myself, but mostly for commuting.  Commuters are mostly nice.  I've had other bikes blow right through a crosswalk as I was entering it, *after* cars had stopped, but the cyclist couldn't be bothered to slow down.  They had lots of logos on their spandex so they must have lots of "sponsors".

Maybe you should be looking far enough ahead so that bicycle 3ft from the curb isn't a surprise....

Saying bikes belong on the sidewalk tells me you really have no clue about the issue.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:30:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/images/xenitht2_angle.jpg

The above bike is a newer version of the same manufacturer's bike.  You can clearly see brake levers on the end of each handlebar (front on the left).  In the case of the 2015 model pictured the caliper is built into the rear of the fork for better aerodynamics.  Cables are partially routed through the hollow bars.  On the bike in the incident the photo is crappy but you can sort of pick up the more traditional dual pivot caliper on the front of the fork and the same levers on the same bars.

Here's an older model year Trek with the same brake set up as the dude.  From the side the little bit of cable run outside the bars is obvious.
http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2010/large/speedconcept70_charcoal.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/images/xenitht2_angle.jpg

http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2010/large/speedconcept70_charcoal.jpg

Thanks!

Now it looks like he's squeezing four 1/2"X 2 1/2" rubber pads against rims while he's 200 pounds going 20 miles an hour?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:51:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

A cyclist pedaling a $4,000 racing bike at high speed through Central Park slammed into a suburban mom in town shopping for her daughter’s birthday present — leaving the woman brain-dead, sources said.

Jill Tarlov, 59, of Fairfield, Conn., the wife of a CBS executive, was in a crosswalk near 63rd Street when Jason Marshall, 31, came barreling along West Drive at around 4:30 p.m. and yelled for her to get out of his way, law enforcement sources said.

Tarlov was rushed to New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where she was declared brain-dead, the sources said.

Tarlov, whose husband, Michael Wittman, is a senior vice president at CBS, was out shopping for her daughter’s present when she was tragically struck, sources said.

Marshall, an accomplished baritone saxophone player, was pedaling a pricey Jamis Eclipse racing bike when he spotted the woman in the crosswalk at an intersection controlled by a traffic light, sources said.

"He was riding in the car lane and yelling, 'Get out of the way! Get out of the way!'" one source said.

It was unclear who had the light, but Marshall — who remained at the scene — "admits to being in the wrong lane," the source added.

Marshall was at the Central Park Precinct station house Thursday night and cops were talking to the Manhattan DA’s Office about possible charges.

View Quote

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/09/19/woman-brain-dead-after-getting-hit-by-high-speed-cyclist-in-central-park/
View Quote

Stuff like this makes me want to throw sticks through the spokes of their front wheels.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 4:13:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Maybe you should be looking far enough ahead so that bicycle 3ft from the curb isn't a surprise....

Saying bikes belong on the sidewalk tells me you really have no clue about the issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If bikers could go the speed limit and follow road laws, then I'd have no problem. Maybe they should be licensed if they want to share the road and be ticketed when they don't follow the rules just like cars do. I know my head won't get smashed in like a melon by the next passing car if I hit something and fall on a sidewalk, nor do I obstruct traffic or cause people to swerve around me because I'm taking up as much of the road as an 18 wheeler since nobody can pass me. It's not a surprise when I see a biker far ahead of me and I look at the lane next to me when I do see one since I know I may have to head into oncoming traffic unless I like doing well under the speed limit like the long line of cars behind me would. The issue is all roads should have a bike lane and bikers should actually use them even though many don't use the ones out there already. They should also be required to have lights on front and back weather it's day or night just like motorcycles since it's harder to see them. Simple things could help them out as well as drivers.  

ETA: I've also seen plenty of other bicyclist helmet cam videos calling other cyclists assholes for not following the rules of the road. Even more videos for cars having to deal with a 2-wheel pack road block. I saw one in NY where a responding police car almost slammed a biker that swung out in front of him in the middle of an intersection.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#47]
What I've seen in NYC (My Birthplace whoop-de-doo), is adults acting like spoiled children when they get on a bicycle.

A motorcyclist has a license plate on his ass, makes noise that alerts pedestrians, and most obey the rules of the road!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#48]
May have already been posted, but apparently has some updates.

Bicycle rider not charged in Central Park collision that put pedestrian on ventilator

Police say Marshall, 31, was riding in a bike lane when he swerved to avoid colliding with a group of pedestrians and wound up striking Tarlov.

“He was in the far-left bike lane,” a police official said Friday. “When he approached the crosswalk, he swerved out of the bike lane to avoid other pedestrians and he crossed over, went into the traffic lane and hit her.”

It’s still not clear who had the right of way or how fast Marshall was going, police said.

Witnesses told police that Marshall yelled at the woman to get out of the way, but she evidently didn’t hear him.
“We’re just explaining to cyclists they need to stop at red lights,” one cop said. “A lot of these cyclists, they’re arrogant. They don’t think the rules apply to them. They need to stop, too.”

Cops armed with radar guns on Friday clocked cyclists zipping through the park to see if they were going 25 mph, the legal limit, the NYPD said.

It was not immediately revealed how many bicyclists received summonses Friday — but the precinct has seen a giant leap in moving violations against two-wheelers this year.

As of Sunday, a whopping 468 Central Park bikers had received traffic summonses for violations that include speeding and blowing red lights, according to cops. That’s a 252% increase from the 133 given out in the same period in 2013.

Several parkgoers said cyclists have long been flying through the park with reckless abandon.

“They’re riding their bikes very, very fast, and people don’t know to look both ways,” said Lee Simonson, 66, who lives near the park. “There’s no speed limit for bikers. It’s not clear when bicyclists have to stop, and very often they don’t.”

Cyclists are expected to slow down at crosswalks and yield to pedestrians, according to the Parks Department’s website.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:31:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
what relevance does the price of the bike bring to the story?

what if it was a $40 Saturday night special Craigslist special?
View Quote
Unless he was going downhill a Wallworld bike wont reach 35mph
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:35:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top