Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:06:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:16:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Op won't be happy when they bore a hole twice that size to dig it all out. Is it hot to the touch? Shit don't look like its getting better.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:24:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 2:11:34 AM EDT
[#4]
To be fair, the OP has seen doctors and is following their advice. AND he says it looks less swollen today.

It does look really . . . . But if it continues to look less angry and smaller, then maybe the doctors he's already consulted were right!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:39:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:40:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:33:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I like turtles.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:30:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LOL.

There are no derm emergencies.  Know how many times I've actually seen a derm consult done in the ER?  Maybe twice in 20 years.

It's an outpatient follow-up no matter how you slice it... And that is not MRSA.  MRSA hurts... And it hurts like a motherf*cker (there are actually virulence factors in CA-MRSA that increase the amount of pain the infection causes).  I'm betting on some kind of bug-bite.  It could actually be a bonafide spider bite, with a little necrosis.  

Most of those will granulate just fine, and heal up.  No grafts to plastic surgery required in the OVERWHELMING majority of cases.

OP should neither sweat it, nor worry unnecessarily.

And just for everybody's edification, there ARE skin cancers that grow that rapidly.  Google "keratoacanthoma" if you want to see an example.  Those are typically a "volcano lesion," and I would not put the OP's lesion in the same category... KA's are much more heaped-up around the edges, with a central debris plug.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck calling a dermatologist ..... who knows when they will have an opening for a new patient.

Hospital Emergency Room ...... let them call in a dermatologist if needed.

I'll never understand people who sit at home with an undiagnosed medical condition trying to get a diagnosis from an internet forum.

I see it often on motorcycle, photography, and even welding sites.

LOL.

There are no derm emergencies.  Know how many times I've actually seen a derm consult done in the ER?  Maybe twice in 20 years.

It's an outpatient follow-up no matter how you slice it... And that is not MRSA.  MRSA hurts... And it hurts like a motherf*cker (there are actually virulence factors in CA-MRSA that increase the amount of pain the infection causes).  I'm betting on some kind of bug-bite.  It could actually be a bonafide spider bite, with a little necrosis.  

Most of those will granulate just fine, and heal up.  No grafts to plastic surgery required in the OVERWHELMING majority of cases.

And just for everybody's edification, there ARE skin cancers that grow that rapidly.  Google "keratoacanthoma" if you want to see an example.  Those are typically a "volcano lesion," and I would not put the OP's lesion in the same category... KA's are much more heaped-up around the edges, with a central debris plug.

Good to have learned about the aggressive one.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#10]
No news from OP? Must of died from maggot infestation.

Ed
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck calling a dermatologist ..... who knows when they will have an opening for a new patient.

Hospital Emergency Room ...... let them call in a dermatologist if needed.

I'll never understand people who sit at home with an undiagnosed medical condition trying to get a diagnosis from an internet forum.

I see it often on motorcycle, photography, and even welding sites.

LOL.

Yep, the one that usually resolves itself.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like turtles.
View Quote

Good, because the necrotic tissue appears to be turning a little green.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:47:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like turtles.

More green

and that looks atleast twice as big as before open page 1 and page 5 in different windows and compare size of gapping hole with distance between hair

dibs on contents of fridge and grill
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:50:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What in the world do you do that you wouldn't refuse to enter that home?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Had exactly the same thing on the opposite side of the leg three weeks ago. I kept it covered with ointment and a bandage. It eventually healed. This was right after getting called to a disgusting house with literally every surface crawling with spiders and roaches. I stripped to the boxers at my front door and rushed my clothing to the washer the second I got home. I don't know what it was either but I assume it was a spider.

I'm freaking out just trying to explain this but about a 4x4 area of the ceiling was spiders. I'm talking about a solid sheet, connected leg to leg. It was like a moving tapestry. Oh fuck I can hardly type this cause it freaks me out to think about it. It was traumatizing.

LEO. One of those JBTs that refuse to allow a child to live in a place like that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:26:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
LEO. One of those JBTs that refuse to allow a child to live in a place like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, that's certainly a different story.  That's the part of the job that makes you hate some people and jaded after seeing enough, I would imagine.   The way you told it initially, I was envisioning cable installer, etc....

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#16]
More pics.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#17]
So, did you lose the leg yet?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I think he's dead
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:14:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Will post pics later today/tonight.  Wound appears to be healing, slowly.  I think the necrotic area looks smaller, at least.

Thankfully I still have my leg, and don't appear to have any other issues.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:16:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Why haven't you tried poking it with a knife and seeing what's inside?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Jelly to be spread on a Ritz cracker.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

That sounds like a great way to get MRSA.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Oh come on!  Wipe your knife off on your shirt tail, hold it in a candle flame for a second, bite on a bullet, and stab yourself.  You've nothing to lose and so much to gain!
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Didn't read the whole thread, no idea if someone has already said this: I don't know if you live in its range, but that looks like a classic brown recluse bite.  A million people come to the doc's office claiming to have spider bites and it almost never is, but if you live where they are found, that might actually be one.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#25]
OP poked his leg

Ed

Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorry for the delay.  Latest photos below (and updated in 1st post).

Update for 9/21/2014:
Haven't had any real issues with it recently; I've been keeping it clean, and covered with a bandage, and I keep putting the Mupriocin on it.  It appears to be slowly healing.  I accidentally ripped off the scab today when I was toweling off after a shower.  No pain from that.  It was slightly mushy/gooey underneath, so I got back in the shower, cleaned it with soap, water, and Hibiclens.  Dried it off, slathered some Mupriocin on it, and tossed a bandage on it.

8/27/2014:

09/02/2014:

09/08/2014: photo taken right after applying a coating of mupriocin (generic Bactroban)

09/21/2014:

09/21/2014: After scab was ripped off while toweling off after a shower
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Blergh. OP it looks pretty much the same to my untrained eye. I guess it's good it's not spreading, but it does not look smaller.

Good luck getting better!

(ETA...still monitoring this thread for when you find out what actually caused this, if your doc can ever tell your definitively it was a spider bite, or infected folliculitis, or whatever. Again, best wishes for healing...oozy sores that won't heal can be stressful!)
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Dig that stuff out with the tip of your Bowie knife.....
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Double Tap
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Dig that stuff out with the tip of your Bowie knife.....
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#32]
I agree with Dr. Frige....

NOPE.  The OP will not survive if he does not dig out the infection with an X acto knife.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:19:46 AM EDT
[#33]
drink some alcohol and then pour alcohol on it and then use fire, should kill all the germs
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Dude, that looks like a spider bite - brown recluse maybe?
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm not gonna post pics because they're all over google. And different people have different sensitivities to them (the bite) so reactions vary widely.
But google Brown Recluse bite.

Yours looks EXACTLY like one. Your tissue could be rotting away under the skin. I would see a doctor. Any wound that doesn't heal in a month is not something to ignore.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Calling a dermatologist first thing tomorrow morning. Tired of having this issue.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:16:52 PM EDT
[#37]
I&D time

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:38:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:36:47 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Sorry for the delay.  Latest photos below (and updated in 1st post).

Update for 9/21/2014:

Haven't had any real issues with it recently; I've been keeping it clean, and covered with a bandage, and I keep putting the Mupriocin on it.  It appears to be slowly healing.  I accidentally ripped off the scab today when I was toweling off after a shower.  No pain from that.  It was slightly mushy/gooey underneath, so I got back in the shower, cleaned it with soap, water, and Hibiclens.  Dried it off, slathered some Mupriocin on it, and tossed a bandage on it.
8/27/2014:

https://i.imgur.com/MZvPIBB.jpg
09/02/2014:

https://i.imgur.com/iObWJ7A.jpg
09/08/2014: photo taken right after applying a coating of mupriocin (generic Bactroban)

https://i.imgur.com/Et1oi8X.jpg
09/21/2014:

https://i.imgur.com/4MJE07y.jpg
09/21/2014: After scab was ripped off while toweling off after a shower

https://i.imgur.com/VuyWTOA.jpg
View Quote

Glad to see it's getting better.

Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You think?

I will laugh if it is something the doc just give you an ointment for and clears up in 48 hours.

here's to hoping it's just nothing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Calling a dermatologist first thing tomorrow morning. Tired of having this issue.
You think?

I will laugh if it is something the doc just give you an ointment for and clears up in 48 hours.

here's to hoping it's just nothing.

I've actually had that happen before.  So, I'll laugh too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#41]
OP, are you diabetic? Just curious.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:39:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Looks like you need a tooth pulled.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 11:51:25 AM EDT
[#43]
dude you need to get to a dr.

i had something similar to this down by mr winkie. well, just a little north of there, i guess i would call it my belly fold.  it was a blackhead that i squeezed, got infected. they had to do surgery on me to get it all out.  it got to the size of a golf ball before i would go to the er.  $15,000 later, all i have left is a surgery scar.

hopefully you have killed the infection.  but if you haven't, go to er.

i could post some pics if you want, it will seriously gross you out and get you to the er.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:00:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
OP, are you diabetic? Just curious.
View Quote

No, I'm not diabetic.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Spider bite, if it's one of those nasty spiders I would go see a doc.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Dermatologist appointment set up for Thursday at 3pm EDT.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who ya seeing? The guys across from the hospital or the guys on Trent Road?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:55:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah I'm in the Triad area now, so a random place in High Point I found on Google.  "Central Carolina Dermatology".  I hope they're good.

After looking on their website it appears I've been given an appointment with 'the new guy' (finished residency in 2013).  I'm not worried.  Actually seriously I'm not, his credentials look good.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top