BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How have you resisted the urge to squeeze the hell out of it to see what comes out? I would have done that along time ago. There's probably some larva in there eating away.
View Quote

Maybe Navydoc or someone can weigh in, but I'm pretty sure you're really not supposed to squeeze MRSA. Like you'll encourage the infection to go deeper or spread?

Just in case it is MRSA or something like it, not saying it is.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
As an aside: the MD at the urgent care suggested I keep it uncovered.  I decided today that I'll put a band-aid over it while out in public, to avoid odd glances and awkward questions.

Anyway, I'm off to pop an antibiotic and slather some ointment on it, and then head to bed.  Hopefully I'll still have my leg in the morning.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think thats why they had those drainage hose thingys in there.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why in the blue fuck are you still taking pics and talking about this shit on a gun board??? You've been fucking with this thing for over a week now and growing and JUST NOW you are talking about the doc?
GO!
NOW!
Dont answer this post or any other post until you have a doctor's note to come back here. FUCK MAN!! THIS IS YOUR LIFE AND YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THAT SHIT IS!
HOPEFULLY it is nothing but if it isn't getting smaller, I'd worry... SEE YA! Talk to you later with good news RIGHT?

RIGHT???

Take a deep breath.
He's been to a doc-in-the-box.
What they've given him isn't clearing it up, but he still has his leg.  (so far)
Another trip might be in the offing.
Let's all just calm down, and start calling "dibs", ok?
Sorry if I sound a little wound tight but I just came off a bout of this shit with my drummer. He was a day or so from losing his entire leg and it looked just like the first pic when he decided to get it looked at. Here are the results. MRSA is a motherfucker. I dont want dibs on his stuff.

http://i62.tinypic.com/igywyd.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/28tvz8z.jpg

Surprising that they sewed it back up if it was an infection.
I think thats why they had those drainage hose thingys in there.

I suppose.  I had a surgical site that wouldn't heal because they used glue when stitches were necessary, anyway, doc wouldn't sew it up to avoid trapping possible infection.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

LOL.

There are no derm emergencies.  Know how many times I've actually seen a derm consult done in the ER?  Maybe twice in 20 years.

It's an outpatient follow-up no matter how you slice it... And that is not MRSA.  MRSA hurts... And it hurts like a motherf*cker (there are actually virulence factors in CA-MRSA that increase the amount of pain the infection causes).  I'm betting on some kind of bug-bite.  It could actually be a bonafide spider bite, with a little necrosis.  

Most of those will granulate just fine, and heal up.  No grafts to plastic surgery required in the OVERWHELMING majority of cases.

OP should neither sweat it, nor worry unnecessarily.

And just for everybody's edification, there ARE skin cancers that grow that rapidly.  Google "keratoacanthoma" if you want to see an example.  Those are typically a "volcano lesion," and I would not put the OP's lesion in the same category... KA's are much more heaped-up around the edges, with a central debris plug.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fuck calling a dermatologist ..... who knows when they will have an opening for a new patient.

Hospital Emergency Room ...... let them call in a dermatologist if needed.

I'll never understand people who sit at home with an undiagnosed medical condition trying to get a diagnosis from an internet forum.

I see it often on motorcycle, photography, and even welding sites.

LOL.

There are no derm emergencies.  Know how many times I've actually seen a derm consult done in the ER?  Maybe twice in 20 years.

It's an outpatient follow-up no matter how you slice it... And that is not MRSA.  MRSA hurts... And it hurts like a motherf*cker (there are actually virulence factors in CA-MRSA that increase the amount of pain the infection causes).  I'm betting on some kind of bug-bite.  It could actually be a bonafide spider bite, with a little necrosis.  

Most of those will granulate just fine, and heal up.  No grafts to plastic surgery required in the OVERWHELMING majority of cases.

OP should neither sweat it, nor worry unnecessarily.

And just for everybody's edification, there ARE skin cancers that grow that rapidly.  Google "keratoacanthoma" if you want to see an example.  Those are typically a "volcano lesion," and I would not put the OP's lesion in the same category... KA's are much more heaped-up around the edges, with a central debris plug.

Thank you for your input, sir.

And good gracious, keratoacanthoma looks terrifying.  With zero medical knowledge whatsoever, after looking over pictures of that and comparing them to my leg, I'm going to agree with you.  The photos I'm seeing online are much more volcano-ish…if that's a word.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not to hijack too much, but if someone were slowly growing a small, flat angioma, could it be something other than a harmless angioma? Is there anything that looks like one but is actually a horrible, super deadly cancer that a paranoid hypochondriac should know about?
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Spider bite. The spider was trying to digest you but likely will fall far short.

Nothing you can do about it but keep it very clean and apply a topical antibiotic. If it get's super-red/swollen/painful then see your doc for a likely secondary infection.

In extreme cases skin grafts are sometimes needed (i.e. bad recluse bites).

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:35:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Herpesphyagonnaheppiaidtitis.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:43:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

OP, ditto.  Get to the docs ASAP.  

Google "Melanoma Images" and you'll see why.  

People die from this.  Really.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd go see a dermatologist NOW. That could be a melanoma. Seriously.

OP, ditto.  Get to the docs ASAP.  

Google "Melanoma Images" and you'll see why.  

People die from this.  Really.

THIS!  If anyone here ever finds a "weird mole", especially that turns black, go to the best dermatologist you can find, and pay them to biopsy it.  Don't screw around with skin cancer.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:50:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:54:47 PM EDT
[#12]
i have the same thing going on right now myself.

I had contracted MRSA about 8 years ago, and had a half dozen of those same sores on my legs.  a few of them were pretty large, and after they cleared up with anti-biotics, there was scar tissue left.

well, about 2 weeks ago, i had one of the areas of scar tissue "puss up" and open up, to look exactly like it did years ago.  Went to the doctor, they said it was not MRSA, but treated it with an anti-biotic.  

They did recommend keeping it covered and moist at all times.  

I am still waiting for it to heal.  It has not gotten worse, just hasn't gone away.

if i don't see an improvement by this week, i'm going back to the doctor again.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:11:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 1:18:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well, it COULD be anything.  

Is it likely to be?  No.  Not by a long shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to hijack too much, but if someone were slowly growing a small, flat angioma, could it be something other than a harmless angioma? Is there anything that looks like one but is actually a horrible, super deadly cancer that a paranoid hypochondriac should know about?

Well, it COULD be anything.  

Is it likely to be?  No.  Not by a long shot.

Thank you for breaking it to me gently. I'll start making arrangements.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Any update OP?
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:48:52 PM EDT
[#16]
necorotizing fasciitis?  except that MRSA usually involves pain, so the lack thereof kinda indicates venom, could be a recluse, or hobo spider.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#17]
2 updates:

1: After speaking with a few docs on here and on another forum, I've decided to not go to a dermatologist unless it continues to expand despite good wound care.  The consensus from multiple docs so far is that it is not MRSA and likely just some kind of bug bite that will eventually heal.  The idea of a foreign object like a thorn being embedded in my skin has also been mentioned several times as well…but at this point there's likely no way we'll ever know.

2: After wearing a band-aid over it for several hours yesterday evening, it is starting to look better.  Just a small change, nothing huge.  It looks less "angry" if that makes any sense.  I was recommended to keep it moist and covered with the mupriocin ointment, to give the epithelial cells trying to come in from the sides to heal the wound a good environment in which to prosper.

I've got it covered with a band-aid right now and will take a look at it later tonight.

Honestly the worst part so far: pulling my leg hair while taking the band-aid off.

Quoted:
necorotizing fasciitis?  except that MRSA usually involves pain, so the lack thereof kinda indicates venom, could be a recluse, or hobo spider.
View Quote

I was under the impression that necrotizing fasciitis spreads rapidly in a matter of hours, whereas this has been roughly 2 weeks +/- a few days.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#20]
ok, with continued refusal to see a doc,  I call dibs on SCUBA gear.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:35:21 PM EDT
[#21]
HERPIES thread
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, have you had a discussion with your doctor yet about having your leg replaced with some kind of bionic mechanical version when they have to amputate it? It could be kind of awesome being able to do a single-leg 500lb. leg press! The only drawback is that you may end up running in circles from then on..
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Dibs on NFA and any Toyota vehicles.  Also glocks, 9mm/5.56 ammo.  And checking/savings/gold/silver/platinum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dibs on NFA and any Toyota vehicles.  Also glocks, 9mm/5.56 ammo.  And checking/savings/gold/silver/platinum.

Damn, you lawyers are thorough!
Dibs on what's left--the few pennies that fell behind the couch and an old Burger King coupon that may be only a year or so expired. And the dust bunnies.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:08:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Brown recluse spider bite. Did it have a small pimple like bump in the center at first. For your sake I hopes it's not, they can get prety nasty.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I get ole' boys in the ER with home-made "drawin' salve."  It's this thick, foul, black paste... and looks like the last damned thing you'd want on an open wound.

And yet people swear by it.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I get ole' boys in the ER with home-made "drawin' salve."  It's this thick, foul, black paste... and looks like the last damned thing you'd want on an open wound.

And yet people swear by it.  

Add Georgia White Dirt to the list.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:10:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got a 2006 Corolla with 160k miles on it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#31]
I see a lot of comments about honey being used in a situation like this to aid the skin in healing.  Any truth to that?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dibs on the Corolla
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Dibs on the Corolla
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dibs on the Corolla

No go, the lawyer has this thing all sewn up. Like I said, man, his "dibs" was very detail-oriented...ain't nothing left for nobody!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:18:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Amish Black Drawing Salve Recipe:

• 6 tablespoons olive oil (infused with calendula, plantain and/or goldenseal)

• 2 tablespoons castor oil

• 2 teaspoons beeswax

• 3 teaspoons activated charcoal

• 3 teaspoons clay

• essential oils: 30 drops lavender, 15 drops tea tree

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Photo from this morning.  As always -- right-click "view image" to see higher resolution, if you're really that interested.

Area appears much less swollen today.  Slightly interesting color, there in the middle.  Greenish.  Not sure if that's some sort of color issue from the camera or the actual color of the lesion.

I will point out that it looks much larger in this photo than in the photo from 2 days ago, due to how close I took this photo, plus the difference in camera (D40 with 35mm f/1.8 for the photo 2 days ago, whereas this one was with my iPotato).  This appears to be an illusion from the camera differences rather than the lesion being physically larger.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Photo from this morning.  As always -- right-click "view image" to see higher resolution, if you're really that interested.

Area appears much less swollen today.  Slightly interesting color, there in the middle.  Greenish.  Not sure if that's some sort of color issue from the camera or the actual color of the lesion.

I will point out that it looks much larger in this photo than in the photo from 2 days ago, due to how close I took this photo, plus the difference in camera (D40 with 35mm f/1.8 for the photo 2 days ago, whereas this one was with my iPotato).  This appears to be an illusion from the camera differences rather than the lesion being physically larger.

http://i.imgur.com/sV1WbwK.jpg
View Quote

Dude, see a derm.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Dude, see a derm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, see a derm.

Ah come'on, it isn't that bad.

…right?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#38]
You want the number for hospice?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:30:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:33:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

A corolla is a Toyota.  I called dibs.  Corolla's are decent daily drivers.  At the least, I could trade it for a burrito or a box of 9mm.

Oh, hope you get better OP.  Why don't you go see a derm and quit fucking around?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dibs on the Corolla

A corolla is a Toyota.  I called dibs.  Corolla's are decent daily drivers.  At the least, I could trade it for a burrito or a box of 9mm.

Oh, hope you get better OP.  Why don't you go see a derm and quit fucking around?

It drives surprisingly well for 160k miles.  Who am I kidding?  Without looking at the odometer, I'd guess it had <50k miles.  Needs an oil change and new tires.

To answer your other question: I just don't feel that it has reached that point yet.  Besides, I trust the 3 docs I've spoken with both here and elsewhere.  They're all pretty experienced and seem to know what they're talking about.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#42]
It looks like it is scabbing over / drying out.  You'll be picking at it in a few days. Looks like a spider bite to me. I have had a few that looked like that before.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why in the blue fuck are you still taking pics and talking about this shit on a gun board??? You've been fucking with this thing for over a week now and growing and JUST NOW you are talking about the doc?

GO!

NOW!

Dont answer this post or any other post until you have a doctor's note to come back here. FUCK MAN!! THIS IS YOUR LIFE AND YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THAT SHIT IS!

HOPEFULLY it is nothing but if it isn't getting smaller, I'd worry... SEE YA! Talk to you later with good news RIGHT?

RIGHT???

Take a deep breath.

He's been to a doc-in-the-box.

What they've given him isn't clearing it up, but he still has his leg.  (so far)

Another trip might be in the offing.

Let's all just calm down, and start calling "dibs", ok?
Sorry if I sound a little wound tight but I just came off a bout of this shit with my drummer. He was a day or so from losing his entire leg and it looked just like the first pic when he decided to get it looked at. Here are the results. MRSA is a motherfucker. I dont want dibs on his stuff.

http://i62.tinypic.com/igywyd.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/28tvz8z.jpg

Didn't want the steak in there to fall out?

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It looks like it is scabbing over / drying out.  You'll be picking at it in a few days. Looks like a spider bite to me. I have had a few that looked like that before.
View Quote

Maybe it is "granulating up" as TheGrayMan suggested?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Dude, see a derm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, see a derm.
Dibs on camera gear.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
looks to me like you got nailed by a nasty spider
View Quote

Agree
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Dibs on camera gear.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, see a derm.
Dibs on camera gear.

LCD is cracked so I can't change settings or view photos I take. I need to spend the $20 it would cost and the 45-minutes it would take to replace it.  That's what I get for dropping it one day.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:49:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Have you ever injured that leg before? I broke my leg and ever since then, my circulation has been shitty and my leg will swell. Several years ago, I got a couple of sores that looked just like yours. Went to the dermatologist, and she said it was an ulcer caused by the collection of fluid. The remedy was to wear a compression stocking for the rest of my life to prevent the leg from swelling.

Just my $0.02
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Have you ever injured that leg before? I broke my leg and ever since then, my circulation has been shitty and my leg will swell. Several years ago, I got a couple of sores that looked just like yours. Went to the dermatologist, and she said it was an ulcer caused by the collection of fluid. The remedy was to wear a compression stocking for the rest of my life to prevent the leg from swelling.

Just my $0.02
View Quote

Nope -- no injuries.  At least nothing that would qualify (mosquito bites, various scuffed knees when I was a kid -- the usual and expected stuff for your average person).
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:10:32 PM EDT
[#50]
In maggot therapy, a number of small maggots are introduced to a wound in order to consume necrotic tissue, and do so far more precisely than is possible in a normal surgical operation. Larvae of the green bottle fly are used, which primarily feed on the necrotic (dead) tissue of the living host without attacking living tissue. Maggots can debride a wound in a day or two. The maggots derive nutrients through a process known as "extracorporeal digestion" by secreting a broad spectrum of proteolytic enzymes that liquefy necrotic tissue, and absorb the semi-liquid result within a few days. In an optimum wound environment maggots molt twice, increasing in length from 1–2 mm to 8–10 mm, and in girth, within a period of 3–4 days by ingesting necrotic tissue, leaving a clean wound free of necrotic tissue when they are removed. When they stay longer or too many are used, healthy tissue is removed as well.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top