Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I recently sold my wife's car to a guy in Hawaii on craigslist.  It went really smoothly.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried to sell a vintage jeep on CL for about $7500 one time and stated that it was cash only sale and I was firm on price.

I had one guy stop by and try to talk me down.  He ended up agreeing with my original price and we shook on the deal.  He lived about 600 miles away and would be back next week with a trailer to purchase it.  Through out the week he confirmed the details.  On the day he was supposed to come down he was a no show.

I was so pissed.

About a year later I get an email from him asking if the jeep was still available.  I emailed him back and said "Not to you".
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be happy you are getting responses. Trade offers andd low offers are to be expected. Its all part of negotiation.
View Quote

Unless you specify in the ad that the price is firm and you aren't interested in trades...you would think anyway,but no.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

"North American Man/boy love".....
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:36:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Oh yeah, I bought a used motorcycle from a guy in California off craigslist.  Only saw 2 small pics but he sounded legit on the phone.  Shipped it to GA and it was perfect just as he described.  That could have been an expensive mistake.

View Quote

I sold a Snap-On air drill to a guy out of state. He sent me a cashiers check, then I sent the drill after confirming the check. He was pretty trusting.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I sold a Snap-On air drill to a guy out of state. He sent me a cashiers check, then I sent the drill after confirming the check. He was pretty trusting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh yeah, I bought a used motorcycle from a guy in California off craigslist.  Only saw 2 small pics but he sounded legit on the phone.  Shipped it to GA and it was perfect just as he described.  That could have been an expensive mistake.

I have bought stuff like that.  Roll the dice.  I did demand a phone number, address, and chatted with the guy for a while to get a feel, then did some internet searching and was able to confirm at least the address, name, and number all matched up.  This was a $250 item.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Helo.

Is it stil availalbe?

Thank
View Quote

I've got an SV650 listed for sale.  Have got a couple of these messages.  Of course after replying "yes", nothing.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Sold one of my TJs a few days ago.  No hassle at all, only because I priced it $500 or so less than everyone else.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:41:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had a large, heavy computer desk to give away before I moved six years ago. It was FREE. I just wanted to be rid of it. The replies were full of derp and some were barely understandable. I lived in a second floor apartment up a steep flight of stairs. I made it clear that two people were needed to move the desk down, that I would be unable to help, and that an SUV/van/pickup was needed.

I finally made my selection of recipient by their email having decent grammar and spelling and being understandable. I told the couple why I chose them and we had a good laugh.
View Quote

Or the guy that came to pick up a 350 small block Chevy engine in a Miata.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I've sold one thing on CL, and it was also a motorcycle.  Sold it in less than 18 hours.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#12]
When a woman down the street had a new baby I put an ad on CL trying to help her sell the old one.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:16:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I sell on CL and Ebay.  Usually have 25+ items listed at any given time.  I do OK at it.  Idiots come with the territory and some of them are buyers, so I put up with them.  AND I PUT MY PHONE # IN THE ADS.  Many times I've sold an item to someone who got the number from their wife/buddy whoever.  Unlike some of the folks here; I MAKE IT AS EASY AS POSSIBLE FOR A POTENTIAL CUSTOMER TO CONTACT ME.  It really pisses me off, as a customer, when I have to send an email, wait and hope for the seller to respond (which many don't) just to get a phone # to ask a few questions.  I'll often skip over ads that don't have a phone #.

I don't get middle of the night phone calls or any BS from putting my phone # in the ads.  What I do get is a lot of sales leads.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When he called, was he trying to blame you or get money back?  

If I were that guy, I think I'd just STFU and try not to die of embarrassment at my own hubris.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I sold an old International Scout CL.  I clearly stated that the buyer needed to trailer it because the clutch slipped and it needed brakes.  
The buyer showed up and told me he was going to drive it 100 miles to his cabin.  I warned him not to, but he knew best.  He wouldn't even listen when I tried to show him how the transfer case worked.  He told me not to worry and he'd call me when he got there as he drove off in low range.

A few hours later I got a call, he had run out of gas twice and then blew up the engine.  I didn't feel at all bad for him.

When he called, was he trying to blame you or get money back?  

If I were that guy, I think I'd just STFU and try not to die of embarrassment at my own hubris.

He admitted that it was his fault, he just wanted to let me know.  He came up on the caller id a few weeks later and I really didn't want to answer, but he just wanted to know what brand the plow was that had been on the scout.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I have sold quite a few things on CL, and have generally had very good luck.  You do occasionally have to wade through a certain amount of BS, but that's going to be the case any time you deal with the general public.  I have met my share of morons, but, at the same time, have met some pretty decent folk.  

I will agree with one of the above posters...if the item is really priced well, you won't have to deal with much other than someone coming by with a hand full of cash.  

I have had a few friends have very bad experiences, though.  Buddy of mine was robbed in California going to buy a projection home theater system.  He'd brought a friend with him, of course neither were armed, and the guy pulled a gun and robbed them both.  

Another guy I know traded a Jeep for a motorcycle, both only with a bill of sale.  Motorcycle ended up stolen, as was the trailer the guy used to haul the Jeep off with.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:12:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Based on replies in this thread, I've gone ahead and changed my contact info to only e-mail replies through Craigslist.  Thanks guys.

I'm glad some of you have had good experiences.  LOL at those who've shared some of their stories.

I don't believe the bike is overpriced.  In fact, if you look at the ads in my area, there's almost no bikes available at my price point that:

- are actual motorcycles, not mopeds
- run
- have a title

Even in a larger metro area about an hour from me, the bike appears to be a good deal and affordable when compared to the other ads.  I guess if that's the general consensus (that it's overpriced) then I'll just keep it.

Since I can't post a link to it, the bike is a 1982 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD w/ 14,000 miles that I listed for $900.

*it is not ok to contact this user with any other unsolicited offers*

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:23:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Based on replies in this thread, I've gone ahead and changed my contact info to only e-mail replies through Craigslist.  Thanks guys.

I'm glad some of you have had good experiences.  LOL at those who've shared some of their stories.

I don't believe the bike is overpriced.  In fact, if you look at the ads in my area, there's almost no bikes available at my price point that:

- run
- have a title

Even in a larger metro area about an hour from me, the bike appears to be a good deal and affordable when compared to the other ads.  I guess if that's the general consensus (that it's overpriced) then I'll just keep it.

Since I can't post a link to it, the bike is a 1982 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD w/ 14,000 miles that I listed for $900.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/rasmuspa/00808_P6uRsYHW5J_600x450_zpsca2a607c.jpg

View Quote

That's a great deal!  I'd want that bike even if the price was several hundred more.  Of course, my wife would murder me if I bought another bike, so there's always that.    And I'm not living in the US right now.

Anyway, just wait for the right buyer.  Someone decent will snatch that up.  And please God, don't let it be one of those retro-cafe retards.

ETA: Post it on advrider.com and it will sell right away.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:01:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:55:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

- run
- have a title

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/rasmuspa/00808_P6uRsYHW5J_600x450_zpsca2a607c.jpg

View Quote

not bad, I have a 85 I think it is, one year bastard version with 2x the mileage.  I stole it at $400.

speed
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:08:28 AM EDT
[#21]
That's a good price, I am surprised it didn't sell in a day.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:42:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I sell on CL and Ebay.  Usually have 25+ items listed at any given time.  I do OK at it.  Idiots come with the territory and some of them are buyers, so I put up with them.  AND I PUT MY PHONE # IN THE ADS.  Many times I've sold an item to someone who got the number from their wife/buddy whoever.  Unlike some of the folks here; I MAKE IT AS EASY AS POSSIBLE FOR A POTENTIAL CUSTOMER TO CONTACT ME.  It really pisses me off, as a customer, when I have to send an email, wait and hope for the seller to respond (which many don't) just to get a phone # to ask a few questions.  I'll often skip over ads that don't have a phone #.

I don't get middle of the night phone calls or any BS from putting my phone # in the ads.  What I do get is a lot of sales leads.
View Quote

There is a huge difference between someone who does this part or full time as a business and someone looking to unload the old washer/dryer. If you put your actual phone number in an add vs one such as a google voice number, then....yeah.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:49:12 AM EDT
[#23]
$900 is a steal for that KZ750.  Here, that would have sold about 3 seconds after your hit submit on the ad.  Hell, I would have bought it.

eta: That would sell for at least double here if not triple.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:56:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:59:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So I'm selling an old motorcycle on Craigslist.  I posted pics and in my ad I specifically state:

year
make
model
mileage
color
condition
inspection status (passed)
title status (clear)
no trades
cash only
price

People call and have asked literally everything covered above.  Then they offer half the price or try to trade me for stuff I have no use for, no expressed interest in and wouldn't be able to use anyway - like wheels & a bucket for a Bobcat.

Oh, and people think it's cool to call at 1:43 a.m.  Who does that?

It's been years since I've sold a bike and it was when there really wasn't a Craigslist.  I don't remember this level of ridiculousness with an ad in the paper.  Anyone else have similar experiences?

(Note: at least no one's tried to rob me yet like they did to a guy in KC)

----------  Update 7/23/14  ----------

- run
- have a title

Even in a larger metro area about an hour from me, the bike appears to be a good deal and affordable when compared to the other ads.  I guess if that's the general consensus then I'll just keep it.

Since I can't post a link to it, the bike is a 1982 Kawasaki KZ750 LTD (black) w/ 14,000 miles that I listed for $900.

View Quote

What year is that? I'll give you $500, cash money.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:06:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I sold an old Ram pickup through CL once.  Had to deal with a huge amount of tire kickers and no-shows as well.  What amazed me was the guy who actually bought it.

I was about to pull the ad as I was sick of dealing with all the BS hassle and fake offers of asking price "plus $500 to help in shipping."  One night I get a call from that I let go to VM from a guy in OH.  He leaves the standard "I'm interested, just have a few questions, blah, blah, blah."  I decide to call him back, thinking the whole time it will be yet another dead end.

Turns out the guy was a commercial pilot and just looking for a beater winter truck.  Tells me he can fly in to MI, and if all looks good he will drive it home, but would I pick him up at the airport?  I did, he checked the truck out, handed me asking price in cash and drove it home.  I'm still amazed it actually went down.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:08:22 AM EDT
[#27]
That bike looks really old and outdated. Why would someone even want to ride around on something like that, it seems like it would be pretty embarrassing?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:19:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I wish i was closer that looks like a great deal. Good luck with all the cl responses.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:28:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Bike doesn't look overpriced.   Rule of thumb for older UJMs is $1/cc if they're ready to ride.  

I see our resident thread shitter has shown up.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:34:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I was renting an apartment and put in big bold letters at the bottom don't call me until after 5pm when i'm home from work.  Fucks called me all damn day anyway.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:46:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I was renting an apartment and put in big bold letters at the bottom don't call me until after 5pm when i'm home from work.  Fucks called me all damn day anyway.
View Quote

damned right.  If I'm gonna kick some tires, I want to be the FIRST to kick them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:52:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That bike looks really old and outdated. Why would someone even want to ride around on something like that, it seems like it would be pretty embarrassing?
View Quote

Hate to possibly feed a troll but, really dude?  A decent bike for under $1K seems like a fair deal.  And it would be a cool retro ride.  A friend of my son came over with his '80's Honda 400/4.  Bike is as old as the rider, great sound and great to see some vintage iron out and about.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:56:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:12:07 AM EDT
[#34]
I post car stuff for my dad who is computer illiterate.  I put his phone number in the ad and clearly state calls only, emails will be ignored.  Guess what happens?  I get emails.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:21:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:55:40 AM EDT
[#36]
I run ads on there and it can be ridiculous sometimes. I just had a guy ask if I could deliver a beat up drill I have for sale a couple of towns away? Seriously?

Cool story bro:

Yesterday I sold an  old trailer for $200 to a guy. He and his friend were cool. I sold him a light kit I had for $20 to help him get home.

While I was running around looking for some zip ties and stuff, I saw my cat outside sitting in one of the gardens. I had to stop and talk to her, and I took a picture when she started being cute.

After the guys left I could not find the $200. I looked around everywhere I had gone. I wasn't sure if I hid it at one point, if it fell out of my pocket, or what the fuck happened.

I went out with my GF, and when we got hoe I snooped around again in the rain. The two crisp hundred dollar bills fell out of my pocket and into some rocks where the cat was. There they were, where I had looked before, sitting in between some rocks.

Hope you enjoyed my cool story, carry on.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:06:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

- run
- have a title

View Quote

Is it still available?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:12:57 AM EDT
[#38]
I'll give you about tree-fiddy for it.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:26:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Damn, a $900 motorcycle that runs?

Seems like that should sell in about 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Priced too low. People assume that it has problems or isn't a real ad. Raise the price up to $1500 and I'd bet you'll get more people interested
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Priced too low. People assume that it has problems or isn't a real ad. Raise the price up to $1500 and I'd bet you'll get more people interested
View Quote

You could also say "asking $1500...make offer" and then add "open to partial cash/trades)". That way someone might end up offering $1000 cash along with 3 broken lawn mowers and a working chest freezer.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Got tired of the lowballers. A $150 offer for my Gibson SG for example.

That and watching a former band mate argue via email for hours with CL users about pricing and inconsequential details let me know they're mainly idiots I'd rather not deal with.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Hate to possibly feed a troll but, really dude?  A decent bike for under $1K seems like a fair deal.  And it would be a cool retro ride.  A friend of my son came over with his '80's Honda 400/4.  Bike is as old as the rider, great sound and great to see some vintage iron out and about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you give a troll a Twinkie...

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:14:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I run ads on there and it can be ridiculous sometimes. I just had a guy ask if I could deliver a beat up drill I have for sale a couple of towns away? Seriously?

Cool story bro:

Yesterday I sold an  old trailer for $200 to a guy. He and his friend were cool. I sold him a light kit I had for $20 to help him get home.

While I was running around looking for some zip ties and stuff, I saw my cat outside sitting in one of the gardens. I had to stop and talk to her, and I took a picture when she started being cute.

After the guys left I could not find the $200. I looked around everywhere I had gone. I wasn't sure if I hid it at one point, if it fell out of my pocket, or what the fuck happened.

I went out with my GF, and when we got hoe I snooped around again in the rain. The two crisp hundred dollar bills fell out of my pocket and into some rocks where the cat was. There they were, where I had looked before, sitting in between some rocks.

Hope you enjoyed my cool story, carry on.  
View Quote

That's some pretty good printer ink if it didn't run after getting wet.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:11:00 AM EDT
[#45]
I buy a lot more things off of Craigslist than I sell but I've never had a bad incident. For buying I look for ads with decent grammar, spelling and quality photos. If someone took their time to make the item look presentable then more often then not the item was probably taken care of.

My last few craigslist purchase have always been in parking lots during the day or in front of apartment complex clubhouses.

The last thing I sold on Craiglist was a '92 Toyota Pickup (still kicking myself for selling it). I was surprised at how quickly I was getting emails or texts, I mean within the hour of posting the ad. The first guy that was able to meet up agreed to meet at a Walmart parking lot. I had a family member leave the house a few minutes after I did so he could pull into a stall close by for security without the buyer knowing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I buy a lot more things off of Craigslist than I sell but I've never had a bad incident. For buying I look for ads with decent grammar, spelling and quality photos. If someone took their time to make the item look presentable then more often then not the item was probably taken care of.

My last few craigslist purchase have always been in parking lots during the day or in front of apartment complex clubhouses.

The last thing I sold on Craiglist was a '92 Toyota Pickup (still kicking myself for selling it). I was surprised at how quickly I was getting emails or texts, I mean within the hour of posting the ad. The first guy that was able to meet up agreed to meet at a Walmart parking lot. I had a family member leave the house a few minutes after I did so he could pull into a stall close by for security without the buyer knowing.
View Quote

Did you do a proper recon?  How many firearms and what holsters? What grade of armor were you each wearing?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This made me smile.  Thanks.

Quoted:
Bike doesn't look overpriced.   Rule of thumb for older UJMs is $1/cc if they're ready to ride.  

I see our resident thread shitter has shown up.

Ok, so I'm not far off at all.  Thanks for the positive affirmation guys.

Quoted:

(snip troll-ish reply)

Thanks, it is a cool retro ride.  It's basic as all get out and yeah, it's sorta "old fashioned" but it still has plenty of power for riding around town.  Sure, I'm not gonna take it to a track day or drag strip, but for riding to work here and there it's fine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I wonder if this guy would be interested in a part trade for an old lawn mower and some hand tools:

'82 KZ750 with 14k miles

Nice looking bike for its age.
View Quote

LMFAO that you found it.  Hey, at least it wasn't me that posted my ad.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ha, that's what I thought!  It's been almost a week and besides about 15 e-mails asking things like "is it still for sale?" and "will you take $450?" along with random texts like "will this make a good starter bike?" I'm not having much progress.

Quoted:

I hadn't thought about that, but it's a good point.  I may just go ahead and change it seeing as I've got nothing to lose really.

Quoted:
Quoted:

You could also say "asking $1500...make offer" and then add "open to partial cash/trades)". That way someone might end up offering $1000 cash along with 3 broken lawn mowers and a working chest freezer.

"Yeah, I'll take the $1000 and 3 broken lawn mowers... just put the lawn mowers right there" :points to trash pick-up spot:

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Hell, I know someone who would have bought that if you were in Wisconsin. Nice little bikes and that looks like its in great shape.

I sold a clapped out beater car for $600 in 30 minutes in craigslist. I guess that isn't the norm.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top