Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:36:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You mean craigslist sellers who are too dumb to delete their ad after an item is sold?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I buy and sell a fair amount.  Some people are retarded.  Next time use a Google voice number.  I hate the ones that email you asking if it is still available. They are the dumbest fucking people alive.

You mean craigslist sellers who are too dumb to delete their ad after an item is sold?

Those sellers come in second.

A while ago I posted something.  It was about am hour later I got an email asking if it was still available.  It was still the top couple of the first page.  Fuck that idiot.  I don't understand why someone would send an email only asking if it was available.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:38:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
So I'm selling an old motorcycle on Craigslist.  I posted pics and in my ad I specifically state:

year
make
model
mileage
color
condition
inspection status (passed)
title status (clear)
no trades
cash only
price

People call and have asked literally everything covered above.  Then they offer half the price or try to trade me for stuff I have no use for, no expressed interest in and wouldn't be able to use anyway - like wheels & a bucket for a Bobcat.

Oh, and people think it's cool to call at 1:43 a.m.  Who does that?

It's been years since I've sold a bike and it was when there really wasn't a Craigslist.  I don't remember this level of ridiculousness with an ad in the paper.  Anyone else have similar experiences?

(Note: at least no one's tried to rob me yet like they did to a guy in KC)
View Quote

Why would you give them a phone number where you could be reached at 1:43am or after the auction?

Google voice is your friend. Call, text, whatever
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:49:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So I'm selling an old motorcycle on Craigslist . . .

People call and have asked literally everything covered above.  Then they offer half the price or try to trade me for stuff I have no use for, no expressed interest in and wouldn't be able to use anyway - like wheels & a bucket for a Bobcat.

Oh, and people think it's cool to call at 1:43 a.m.  Who does that? . . .
View Quote

Don't list your phone number. Craigslist encrypted E-mail only.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 2:57:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I sold my house on CL.

In three days.  Above the minimum price I would accept.  With a minimum of BS.

I sold an old but functional woodstove, for $125 or something, and that brought the derp out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:04:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why on earth did you provide a personal cell phone number?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I'm selling an old motorcycle on Craigslist.  I posted pics and in my ad I specifically state:

year
make
model
mileage
color
condition
inspection status (passed)
title status (clear)
no trades
cash only
price

It's been years since I've sold a bike and it was when there really wasn't a Craigslist.  I don't remember this level of ridiculousness with an ad in the paper.  Anyone else have similar experiences?

(Note: at least no one's tried to rob me yet like they did to a guy in KC)
Why on earth did you provide a personal cell phone number?

Contact is by email through CL, answer their questions, and ask for a phone number and a good time to call, if they would like to come look at it.
If they do not provide their phone number they are not serious.  This has worked great for me at weeding out the derp.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:07:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had mixed experiences. My latest yesterday. I got tired of continually dumping my ridiculously heavy steel reinforced concrete mosquito larvae incubation chamber. I put a free sign on it and placed it at the curb where it languished for 3 days. I put a Curb alert for the bird bath and it's approximate intersection location in the "Free" section on Craig's list. It was gone in less than an hour. I deleted the ad.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:10:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Mailed him a cashiers check.  And yes, I thought about it carefully first, knowing full well that I was taking a huge risk.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh yeah, I bought a used motorcycle from a guy in California off craigslist.  Only saw 2 small pics but he sounded legit on the phone.  Shipped it to GA and it was perfect just as he described.  That could have been an expensive mistake.  Wife always tells me I am incredibly lucky and should buy lottery tickets.  

That was extremely brave and/or stupid.

Brave or stupid?  I prefer naive!    Bike cost $12,500 and shipping was around $700.  I felt really confident after talking to him and just went with my judgement.  But yeah, if anybody else told me they did that I would tell them they were nuts!

How did you transfer the money without worrying you'd never see the bike?

Mailed him a cashiers check.  And yes, I thought about it carefully first, knowing full well that I was taking a huge risk.

I wish everyone was as honest as that guy.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:10:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:ridiculously heavy steel reinforced concrete mosquito larvae incubation chamber
View Quote

Now that was funny!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:17:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Guy drive from North Carolina to alabama to buy my bass boat. When he got here he said God told him not to buy it an hour before he got to my house. He still wanted to drive it though. He turned around and left back to North Carolina. Sold it the next day for cash.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:18:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I have bought many things off of craigslist, and sold a few items including a car and a motorcycle. It has always gone well. I guess some of you basement dwelling printer repair types aren't used to dealing with the public. Get mom to help you.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:20:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Guy drive from North Carolina to alabama to buy my bass boat. When he got here he said God told him not to buy it an hour before he got to my house. He still wanted to drive it though. He turned around and left back to North Carolina. Sold it the next day for cash.

View Quote

"God" is the name of his wife. He was dumb enough to answer his cell phone when she called wondering where he was at.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:20:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sold 2 motorcyles and get pretty much the same thing you experienced.

Biggest mistake I made on one of them is kid comes by and says he'll buy it but will pick it up later in the week but didn't take a deposit or anything.

Well the kid flaked out and by that time I had told a few potentials it was sold. Probably cost me an additional week in selling the thing.
View Quote

That's the usual scam I think... they want to buy it but don't have the money right now.  Usually it's followed by lame attempts to collect the vehicle without actually paying for it or not paying close to what you want.

i'd say "cash in hand or no deal, no holds, no whining" but in all honesty a lot of people don't read (or heed) those disclaimers, especially the scammers.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:23:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I attempted to sell a washer/dryer.  

Never again.
View Quote

I put a washer/dryer set up at 8am on a Sunday . By 9:30 it was gone- had over 10 responses before I could pull the ad.

Have had good results with Craigslist.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:28:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Craziest Cragslist BS I have dealt with so far was when I sold my 1974 Camaro back in 2011. A famous artist (literally) from Miami contacted me about it and told me that a Camaro just like mine was his first car, and his got stolen in college and he wanted another one. I was in Jacksonville. So, he arranged to come up and look at it. He flew in like a day later with some blonde chick (she was hot), and he looked it over for like an hour in my driveway. He asked to drive it, I told him sure take it around the block. He drove off and was gone for like 2 hrs, left the blonde in my driveway with me . We tried calling him but I guess he couldn't hear his phone/didn't want to answer it. Chick was pretty cool, and told me that he did shit like that all the time. He came back finally, paid for the car in $100 bills, gave me $200 more than I was asking, I signed the title over to him, and he left. It was.... weird.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:30:47 AM EDT
[#15]
of course it could always be worse.  guy on my second ship did 5 craigslist purchases - or rather... 5 armed robberies. then right before the court case he called them all up to scare them into not testifying.  so i'm always wary of at-home transactions of expensive stuff cos you never know if you might find someone like him.

granted the law got him (5 lifetime sentences, tho it was reduced to 30 years), but that's not always going to be the case
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:44:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Free classifieds, no filter..

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:50:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:54:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I never put my phone number on a CL add....I only do email. Yes, there are plenty of idiots on CL.  I think the majority of the people on there just want to low-ball you, or ask questions about an item even though they know good and well that they will never buy it.....they are just looking for something to do when they are sitting home on the couch living off of the government.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:59:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
... by their email having decent grammar and spelling and being understandable,,.
View Quote

This is how I roll too, when I'm selling or buying.

I get a lot of spam from the emailers too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:02:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I put a washer/dryer set up at 8am on a Sunday . By 9:30 it was gone- had over 10 responses before I could pull the ad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I attempted to sell a washer/dryer.  

Never again.

Same here.  We've sold a few items on CL over the years and the quickest and easiest of them all was an almost new washer/dryer set.  Our old house used natural gas for the dryer so when we moved it was useless.  It was sold within 3 hours.  Guy was cool.  I had to let him borrow my heavy duty straps to secure it for his drive home, he actually returned them later that day.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:03:29 AM EDT
[#21]
that means your shit is overpriced, OP.

I never get any of that.  When I sell something on craigslist, people show up within hours of my posting, cash in hand, and never negotiate.  That's because when I sell something, I price it just under market value, and it goes quick, no hassle.  People are quick to act and don't give any hassle when they know they are getting a good deal.

WAY overpriced = no responses.

Price at upper end of market value = tire kickers galore.

Price slightly under market value = gone in hours.

My rules for craigslist:

1.  Never post a phone number of any kind in any ad.
2.  Post that the item is still available if you see the ad up.  State any emails asking if the item is still available will be ignored.
3.  Email through craigslist ONLY
4.  Ignore any email that asked questions that were clearly answered in the ad.  Those people aint gonna buy your shit anyway.
5.  Want full market value?  Prepare your anus.

People who want your stuff bad will do what it takes.  Everything else is just chaff.  Every time I hear someone complain about craigslist, I ask them what they were selling and how much were they asking.  It was always overpriced if they were unhappy with their selling attempt.  People who like craigslist know how to price their stuff, or make an add that really shows it off well and stand out above everything else.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:04:43 AM EDT
[#22]
I think this is why apps like textfree were invented.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:05:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Looks like he's a little frustrated and why I've never sold or bought anything on Craigslist after hearing the stories. I have looked through it though and always feel like I'm in a back alley with a guy trying to sell me things out of a van.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:07:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Had a flawless transaction last weekend but have had way more of the DEERRRP.

Had a lady send her husband to buy a room divider from Ikea we were parting with... 2 pock mark faced dudes show up, had no idea what they are there
for or how much it cost. They didn't have enough $$$ and I sent them packing. Item was outside of closed garage door, G19 on me... my spidey sense has never
tingled stronger. I really felt like they were there to case the inside of my home and were shut down from the get go. BE CAREFUL
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:11:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I had a large, heavy computer desk to give away before I moved six years ago. It was FREE. I just wanted to be rid of it. The replies were full of derp and some were barely understandable. I lived in a second floor apartment up a steep flight of stairs. I made it clear that two people were needed to move the desk down, that I would be unable to help, and that an SUV/van/pickup was needed.

I finally made my selection of recipient by their email having decent grammar and spelling and being understandable. I told the couple why I chose them and we had a good laugh.
View Quote

That's all I do.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:27:54 AM EDT
[#26]
I sold a friend's 300M Special edition for her.  CL ad was only needed for 24hrs.  Two callers, some minor haggling, sold car for $8000, was asking $8500, owner originally was asking $7500 Transaction completed 72hrs later.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:39:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I have sold a few odds and ends on Craigslist always herp and derp . I gave away some propane tanks 40 gallon rusty and not certified . That brought out the full retard . I have bought a few things and it is a mixed bag . About 50% of sellers never respond .
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:41:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm thinking I might keep it as well....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I currently have an ad on there for a motorcycle I wanted to sell.  Same story,  no one reads the ad details, make offers and never show up with agreed upon price, and generally just waste my time.  

I decided to just keep it and save on my school commute some more.

I'm thinking I might keep it as well....

So what are you selling?    

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:50:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

How can they call you?
Putting your phone number in a Craigslist ad ......  Who does that?

I sell on Craigslist often.
I never put direct contact info in the ad.
In my ad I say " if you want a fast response, send an email through Craigslist with your phone number and I will call you. "  

The idea for me is to maintain control over the transaction and how it is handled.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:56:53 AM EDT
[#30]
We have an internal board that works like CL and I even had these same issues with flakes.  I recently sold all my old white appliances from my kitchen.

I finally got sick of the crap and sold them to the woman downstairs in our building, who came and picked them up the same day, paid full asking in cash.  I threw in the cleaner for the stove.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:05:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Craigslist is like anything else...

People expect the perfect buyer to come along and just fork over the cash.

How many times have you personally walked into a store and not bought anything. Browsed around or asked help on an item only to decide you didn't like or want it?  Think about the last time you held a gun at the gun store and didn't buy it. Did they say "well you came in and asked to see it it, asked questions, and now you don't want to buy it?, well let me post about how full of derp you are".......

Then you decide to become a "store" and sell things and then expect no one to do that?!? If you are selling something you have to prepared for all aspects of that transaction. Don't get mad or upset just take it with a grain of salt.

I buy and sell stuff almost every week on craigslist. I have made some huge scores before Andrade some decent money on stuff I sell. But there is always the layer of bullshit on there just like any where else.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:10:37 AM EDT
[#32]
And, it's not always derp. While not craigslist, I listed a mixmaster Garand on Armslist and a guy traded me a legit 1962 Fender Strat for it. I sold the strat and bought 2 more Garands from CMP, a brand new Gen 4 Glock 19, and a PSA mid-length AR with the money. I knew the Fender was rare, but not $2500 rare
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:22:49 AM EDT
[#33]
I sold my old Ford Ranger on there a few years ago.  It was gone the same day with a minimum of derp.

I have heard some horror stories from the guys at work.

Anything ATV or motorcycle related seems to bring the window-lickers out of the woodwork on Craigslist.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:12:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm about to list a track car project on CL, with a note that all trades will be considered. Looking forward to the lulz.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#35]
I sold a motorcycle of CL with no BS.

My dad tried selling a frame for a 1926 model T...he got tons of derp and scams.  I had to guide him through the emails because he was pretty naive on this stuff.  I loved the responses saying, "I love the car!!! Are you the original owner?  How many miles?  Do you have all the maintainance records?"  My Dad's old, but not that old so it took a while for him to comprehend that people are contacting him who have no interest in actually buying.

I hate the people that dick you around.  Usually sales are quick and easy, but sometimes you get people that must just respond to every CL ad for fun or something.  They may only seem slightly interested in what you're selling.  I don't get it.

Armslist can be the same way.  A while back I sold a bunch of guns in different listings and he same buyers contacting me for every one.  Some had no clue what they were 'buying' as if they are just randomly buying everything.  Must be firearm hoarding neckbeards.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:56:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Ive bought/sold a bunch of stuff via CL. The most PITA thing was my Duelly. I put in the ad that this was a cash only face-to-face deal, no shipping, no checks. Cash. Everything was listed in the ad lots of photos, and a request to email me for phone number. I wasted numerous hours waiting for assholes who never showed at agreed time. I wouldn't have had them meet at the house but the truck needed repair and I was done pouring money into it after replacing 6 Class E rated tires, two batteries, and a gear reduction starter.

This one fuck-stick arranged for a meet and never showed. I took time out to meet this guy and put my son off on some things we had planned. So when he didn't show or call I was unnerved. He texted me the next week asking if I had the truck and if he could see it. I said yes and gave him a time frame telling him If he didn't show he could look at it in the driveway but I wasn't going to be there as I had things to do. No show no call/text again. This fucker kept calling me asking if it was for sale, if I would trade for all kinds of crazy crap and if I would reduce the price. I told him the ad stated no trades cash only and if he had cash we ~might~ be able to work a deal. Bring cash or do not come. If the ad is up, I refreshed it as much as CL would allow, it was still for sale.

This went on for weeks, folks arranging to look but never show, along with the scam emails. I finally had this guy call and look. After a week he came by with a hand full of 100's and he towed it home. The other guy texted me if it was still for sale after I took the ad down and when I said no he began to call me an asshole, ect. I never responded and never heard from him again.

Since CL is free you have to wade through this BS though. Some folks are good peeps looking for a deal. But there are some grade "A" retards too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:04:28 AM EDT
[#37]
CL is filled with idiots. I understand what your saying OP. I tried to sell a set of rims last year and was very detailed about it on the ad. I had ALOT of idiots emailing/txting me about it. These fools were asking questions that they could of got the answer if they read and comprehended the ad!

Maybe its just me but it seems like idiots like browsing through the automotive section of CL.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:14:17 AM EDT
[#38]
A couple years ago I unloaded a bunch of 5.56 and 45acp once-fired brass on CL. The derptastic e-mails and phone calls were driving me insane

After pulling my hair out for a few days, a local firefighter who was looking for a new hobby after a work injury contacted me. He was pleasant, respectful, and didn't do stupid shit like try to trade his collection of Native American replica carvings for my brass.

Met up with him, made the transaction, and went about my day. I was so happy to have finally found a normal human being that I ended up giving him a pile of extra brass - purely for him not being a fucktard.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:27:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Sometimes.

I eventually sold mine, but had a load of retards before the sale.
Listed it as a non-running project car, had at least a dozen idiots asking "So it runs, right? I can drive it home?"..

And the trades.  Pitbull puppies, 22" wheels for vehicles I do not nor will ever own, weed, etc.. It clearly said "Cash Only, Clear title".
Even had variations of people telling me "I'll give you $250.00, that is the best you'll get for that car "(Sold it for $25.00 less than asking).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I sold an RX-7 on craigslist. No one asked me any stupid questions, and one guy even called me to let me know that I had some of the information wrong(I forgot what trim package it was)

Rx-7 attracts a different market.

Sometimes.

I eventually sold mine, but had a load of retards before the sale.
Listed it as a non-running project car, had at least a dozen idiots asking "So it runs, right? I can drive it home?"..

And the trades.  Pitbull puppies, 22" wheels for vehicles I do not nor will ever own, weed, etc.. It clearly said "Cash Only, Clear title".
Even had variations of people telling me "I'll give you $250.00, that is the best you'll get for that car "(Sold it for $25.00 less than asking).

Oh, I love those ones. I had a guy offer me HALF my asking price on a truck (we're not talking about a $2000 vehicle here either). He came back and paid asking price 3 days later. I would have told him to fuck off, but he wasn't being a dick about it, just trying to get it cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Sold a motorcycle beginning of June.  Had a bunch of dipshits emailing me. One guy was king dipshit though.

He wanted to know if my HawkGT NT650 had a 550cc engine. Did it come with both wheels?  He's never ridden a motorcycle before, is it a good starter bike? He weighs over 275, would it be a good bike for him? Did I have a helmet he could borrow?  Does it run on gas? Would I mind if he took the carbs off to look at them?

A lot of incongruous questions and his emails were formatted like an e. e. cummings poem.

Weird stuff. Sold it to a guy that traveled all the way across the state so he could get a second Hawk for his wife to ride with him.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:38:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#42]
I've had a set of speakers sitting in my basement for about 6 months.  I keep telling myself I should post them up on Craigslist to get rid of them, but every time I read about people's experience as a seller, I contemplate taking a hatchet to them instead.  

I did buy a motorcycle on Craigslist.  I called him, checked it out, took it for a spin and laid down the cash.  He was relieved.  He said he'd had dozens of calls, a bunch of people come by to ride it (without any gear or a motorcycle endorsement) and a load of lowball offers.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:48:47 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

My company has an internet classified message board for employees for selling stuff.  No one ever posts the price for some reason.  Big long descriptive post, first reply is always "How much?"
View Quote

I always like the "make me an offer" response to those. It's either they have no clue what it's worth or they want you to beat yourself.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I put disclaimers in my online ads.  You wouldn't think it would work, but it does.

No bullshit.  No tirekickers.  Cash only.  What trades I would consider.  No tapco fucked SKS or other junk.
View Quote

I do this too.  I write "no scams, don't even try. show up with cash, buy item, leave."  

It is also very stupid to include a phone number.  Use their blind email.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:26:53 AM EDT
[#45]
I have a 2008 HD that I want to sell. Do you consider the EE here to be better than CL? Or, pretty much the same rules?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have a 2008 HD that I want to sell. Do you consider the EE here to be better than CL? Or, pretty much the same rules?
View Quote

would you trade for a 5 foot trailer and a box of legos?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#48]
I sold an old International Scout CL.  I clearly stated that the buyer needed to trailer it because the clutch slipped and it needed brakes.  
The buyer showed up and told me he was going to drive it 100 miles to his cabin.  I warned him not to, but he knew best.  He wouldn't even listen when I tried to show him how the transfer case worked.  He told me not to worry and he'd call me when he got there as he drove off in low range.

A few hours later I got a call, he had run out of gas twice and then blew up the engine.  I didn't feel at all bad for him.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
get a throw away phone number from google and use it in the ad.   what you experience is what happens when you sell stuff yourself.   Its why you get less for trading it in.
View Quote

How do I do that?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I sold an old International Scout CL.  I clearly stated that the buyer needed to trailer it because the clutch slipped and it needed brakes.  
The buyer showed up and told me he was going to drive it 100 miles to his cabin.  I warned him not to, but he knew best.  He wouldn't even listen when I tried to show him how the transfer case worked.  He told me not to worry and he'd call me when he got there as he drove off in low range.

A few hours later I got a call, he had run out of gas twice and then blew up the engine.  I didn't feel at all bad for him.
View Quote

When he called, was he trying to blame you or get money back?  

If I were that guy, I think I'd just STFU and try not to die of embarrassment at my own hubris.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top