Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:16:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't get all the hate for JJ Abrams. I think he makes some good movies.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't like it. The X-Wing is iconic. It should not be altered in any way, only faithfully reproduced.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Same here ...I dont mind the lens flares that so many seem to hate .

His list of accomplishments  , directing,producing and writing, is quite impressive.....lots of decent films and series .

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:23:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

My only real complaints are about the lens flare and the machine-gun-like firing of phasers (the former is much worse than the latter).
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:24:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I don't like it. The X-Wing is iconic. It should not be altered in any way, only faithfully reproduced.
View Quote
Technology is not at a standstill in fictional universes ,either , or at least it would seem

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:26:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Don't be shit talking my A-Wing.  not only is it faster the Falcon, out runs Ties while the pilot gives them the finger, but it also brought down a Super Star Destroyer!  What's the X-Wing done besides taking out one and half "space stations?"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The movie is 30 years after "Jedi."  Shirley (heh) you would expect some sort of advancement and improvement of design in that time period?

The advancement in design is to sell more toys or to show audiences something "different."  The designs in IV-VI were perfect, IMO. (except for the A-Wing)

If this is a new ship, it's not that bad.  I just hope they keep the X-Wing the same.  At least it's not drastically different, and they've kept the same hull.

Don't be shit talking my A-Wing.  not only is it faster the Falcon, out runs Ties while the pilot gives them the finger, but it also brought down a Super Star Destroyer!  What's the X-Wing done besides taking out one and half "space stations?"

You can be my wingman, anytime!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok, then that accounts for all of their fighters..............
View Quote

Ahem.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:28:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You only NEED an R2 unit if you're going to go into hyperspace. If you are just going to fly around some, you don't have to have one.

What I am LOVING about this new film is it looks like they are using a lot more full scale props and aliens. Less CGI. This will hopefully give it a more real, gritty feel of the original.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd fly it.

I wouldn't.  Stupid thing is missing its R2 unit.

You only NEED an R2 unit if you're going to go into hyperspace. If you are just going to fly around some, you don't have to have one.

What I am LOVING about this new film is it looks like they are using a lot more full scale props and aliens. Less CGI. This will hopefully give it a more real, gritty feel of the original.

The Z-95 had an internal R2 pod (wookiepedia), maybe the new x-wing does as well?

Besides, Right now I feel I could take on the whole empire myself, with or without an R2 unit!

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:28:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Cool video.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't see it either. Notice the wing tops moving when the pilot climbs in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone else notice that that the nose, wings and the majority of the body of the X-Wing appears to be computer generated?  At least it looks like that on my screen...

No I don't think so looking at it.

J.J. Abrams is going though a lot of trouble to make this movie, for lack of a better term, "real." Minimal use of CGI compared to Ep. 1-3.

ETA: second look - maybe. The shadow of the X-Wing doesn't cast the same as his own.

I don't see it either. Notice the wing tops moving when the pilot climbs in.

This. It's a classically built full size mockup. Brings a tear to my eye. They built some awesome ones for Aliens.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#11]
What with the Falcon and all. I have a feeling that they will be pulling stuff out of mothballs after years of peace. New Sith threat?

...and yeah, practical effects are movie magic, and kudos for the tean foing this direction.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#12]
What an odd double tap...?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#13]
With such advanced weaponry and droid manufacturing, you would think they would have mastered unmanned flight.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Toss in HK47 and I'll start caring more
View Quote
Meatbag.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
With such advanced weaponry and droid manufacturing, you would think they would have mastered unmanned flight.
View Quote

With advanced metalworks, you would think they would invent a skin that was self cleaning.  That thing looks like it was parked somewhere in detroit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

General Products #5 hull?
View Quote

#5 would be ginormous.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Not the best endorsement for atmospheric flight, if you ask me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lukes' X-wing in The Empire Strikes Back flies in atmosphere and crash lands on Dagoba.

Maybe not, there are hundreds of other examples.  The best endorsement for Incom was when the X-Wing lay in a swampy bog underwater for several days, and then fired right up!

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#18]
According to the Stars Wars Wiki, this is a T-65 Advanced X-Wing. One of 16 different variants.

The Advanced X-wing's development was owed largely to the success of the Z-95 Headhunter variant, the Heavy-95, as the engineers realized that wider bodies were good improvements to various concerns of starship performance. In large part because of this, the Advanced X-wing was supplied with similar modifications to its hull to the Heavy-95 before finalizing the latter fighter design. The improved heat-handling and increased mass capacity made the Advanced X-wing a better choice for X-wing pilots.
View Quote

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T-65_Advanced_X-wing_starfighter

Thank me later.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'm no expert but I never seen where a Tie fighter needed a chode bot in the back to fix it's self. X wings seem like shit tier to me.
View Quote

Astromech droids are primarily useful for navigation.  TIE Fighters don't have hyperdrives, or shields...

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looks like a Z-95
View Quote

Except it has the S-Foils that will expand out when in attack configuration.  You can see the blasters configured in the same way as the older X-Wing.  The Z-95 Headhunter has one blaster at the end of the wings.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:55:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ion intakes for ion propulsion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It looks retarded. Air intakes for spacecraft?

TIE uses Ion and has no Air Intake.  LOL
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:56:10 AM EDT
[#22]
What a piece of junk!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lukes' X-wing in The Empire Strikes Back flies in atmosphere and crash lands on Dagoba.

If only there hadn't been such bad atmo and weather.   Maybe even an actual place to land.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:58:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm no expert but I never seen where a Tie fighter needed a chode bot in the back to fix it's self. X wings seem like shit tier to me.
View Quote

TIE fighter pilots are not expected to make it back
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I am getting the distinct impression a good percentage of ARFCom has never seen the Star Wars movies. "Lock S-foils to attack position"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That doesn't appear to be an X Wing at all, but rather a single wing craft.

I am getting the distinct impression a good percentage of ARFCom has never seen the Star Wars movies. "Lock S-foils to attack position"

Look closely at the wing of the mockup in the video; it's solid and one piece from the engine outboard and not split.

After another close look it appears there is a split on the top surface that would allow the wing to open albeit differently from the original
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:04:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

There were TIE drones in the PC games.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Anybody who has read the books know there are more advanced X-wings.

Even Stealth-X's.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TIE Fighters are short range and have an on-board supply of fuel for the ion engines. Note the fuel tank at the bottom of the fuselage. Since they always operate from a base or mothership, it is not necessary to have ram scoops to collect fuel.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Nice.

But have you seen the new BT-16?  They say it's really something to see.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:31:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

X-Wing is trans atmospheric. GTFO.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

X-Wing is trans atmospheric. GTFO.  

Lol
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Nice.

http://bplusmovieblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/star-wars-890.png
View Quote

What was that?

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd fly it.

Look closer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The movie is 30 years after "Jedi."  Shirley (heh) you would expect some sort of advancement and improvement of design in that time period?

The advancement in design is to sell more toys or to show audiences something "different."  The designs in IV-VI were perfect, IMO. (except for the A-Wing)

If this is a new ship, it's not that bad.  I just hope they keep the X-Wing the same.  At least it's not drastically different, and they've kept the same hull.

Oh come on. The only way the A-wing took out the Executor is that it crashed kamikaze-style directly into the bridge, on accident. If you take the bridge as a percentage of the surface area of that ship, the pilot won the lottery on his way out.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:44:11 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm hoping the B - Wing gets some play in the new movies.  What a magnificent ship.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Would fly.  

Red 11 standing by!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:46:57 AM EDT
[#36]
I like it
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So, how does a turbine spin when it's cut in half?  Does it just reattach itself when the S-foils are closed?  Whether practical or not, I think it looks plain ugly.  The old design was better. IMO

http://absolventi.gymcheb.cz/2008/tovins/obrazky/xwing.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That doesn't appear to be an X Wing at all, but rather a single wing craft.

The X-Wing has 4 fully rounded engines.  This looks like a Z-95.  Wouldn't make much sense to have a half-round turbine.

By doing two half round turbines, you streamline the fighter for less drag when the wings are folded.

So, how does a turbine spin when it's cut in half?  Does it just reattach itself when the S-foils are closed?  Whether practical or not, I think it looks plain ugly.  The old design was better. IMO

You know it's impossible for a turbine to actually work in space, right?

Work as in create thrust, that is.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What was that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice.

http://bplusmovieblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/star-wars-890.png

What was that?

*whoosh*

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
He went with the Ralph McQuarrie concept. Cool.

I still have the Art of Star Wars on my book shelf.
View Quote

That's good stuff.  Great production design, Lucas was fortunate to have picked him.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:52:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Looks like a Z-95
View Quote

I forgot about those.  Should have remembered that one from the games.  Pretty easy to shoot down with a TIE Fighter.

If it continues from the Games, as I have not read the books, is it going to have Admiral Thrawn in it?  Anyone know?  Always thought he was an awesome character.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:59:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I forgot about those.  Should have remembered that one from the games.  Pretty easy to shoot down with a TIE Fighter.

If it continues from the Games, as I have not read the books, is it going to have Admiral Thrawn in it?  Anyone know?  Always thought he was an awesome character.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a Z-95

Whole new story.

Not sure how to feel about the x wing. Looks a little too sleek. Though I understand 30 years after VI they would have changed the design.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:08:51 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Also, the "turbine" part of the engine is not even in the front, it is in the rear section, near the nozzle, so it is entirely possible to have a non-round intake and still have a circular turbine at the rear.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

my thoughts exactly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a Z-95

my thoughts exactly

yep.....doesn't have the R2 unit. X-wings require R2's to operate their hyperdrives. Z-95 doesn't have a hyperdrive that's why there is not a R2 slot.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like a Z-95

No. The vast majority of the expanded universe (novels, comics, video games etc) has been thrown out and rightly so imo.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:17:29 AM EDT
[#45]
All of their fighters............the A-Wing is also trans atmospheric.............and according to Wookiepedia:  

"In addition, they also had a high rate of mechanical failure, and contributed to the fighter's extremely costly maintenance-to-flight ratio. This among other reasons was why it was difficult to keep a squadron of A-wings operational for any length of time"..........must be their version of the F-35

Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok, then that accounts for all of their fighters..............

Ahem.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-HYHw8I8JaOk/UU1JcBCdAxI/AAAAAAAACgI/CrZYKr8pFCY/s1600/A-Wing.jpg

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:18:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No. The vast majority of the expanded universe (novels, comics, video games etc) has been thrown out and rightly so imo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Looks like a Z-95

As long as it doesn't suck, I'm okay with that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:27:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Force for Change sounds like some Obama bullshit.  Movie better not suck.
View Quote

That's my impression as well, the name of this movie is a giant red flag covered in flashing red neon lights.

I'm expecting 2, and a half hours of kumbaiah, and gay hand holding while skipping down to the space welfare office to get some "free" money.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Red Dawn, Standing By.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That's my impression as well, the name of this movie is a giant red flag covered in flashing red neon lights.

I'm expecting 2, and a half hours of kumbaiah, and gay hand holding while skipping down to the space welfare office to get some "free" money.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Force for Change sounds like some Obama bullshit.  Movie better not suck.

Is it the name of the movie or just the stupid UNICEF campaign?
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Red Fern standing by....

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top