BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 258
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nothing too unexpected there. Only head scratcher I guess would be ND falling to 10.
View Quote

Not really when you consider their biggest win was a 3 point home victory over currently unranked 5-3 Stanford.

Also that was their only win against a power 5 conference team with a current winning record.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:04:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Auburn at #3. How about that.  Wouldn't it be fantastic to see 4 teams from the SEC west in the playoff at the end.
View Quote

No that shit would suck.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Man I expected you guys to be a lot more pissed off over this.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:06:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not really when you consider their biggest win was a 3 point home victory over currently unranked 5-3 Stanford.

Also that was their only win against a power 5 conference team with a current winning record.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nothing too unexpected there. Only head scratcher I guess would be ND falling to 10.

They were one penalty away from defeating FSU.

Not that I think ND should even be ranked
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:11:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I guess that does make sense. Haven't really followed their season, just jumped out at me with that drop.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No way.  They're improving along the way, but 'Bama started the season playing sloppy and still have a long way to go.  Not saying they are out of it yet, but the odds are certainly not in their favor to win out the rest/be in the hunt.

JMHO, and I went to Alabama/love the Tide... sincerely hope I am wrong.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well Hotty Toddy!  I figured Bama would jump us ...

No way.  They're improving along the way, but 'Bama started the season playing sloppy and still have a long way to go.  Not saying they are out of it yet, but the odds are certainly not in their favor to win out the rest/be in the hunt.

JMHO, and I went to Alabama/love the Tide... sincerely hope I am wrong.  

In truth, my seasons nightmare is that the stars align and both Bama and OM make the playoff and we have to face yall again to make it to the NC game.  

In truth I think injuries are going to get us another L.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:50:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No that shit would suck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Auburn at #3. How about that.  Wouldn't it be fantastic to see 4 teams from the SEC west in the playoff at the end.

No that shit would suck.

I love football and I watch a ton of games each Saturday but I don't think I'd tune in for conference/subdivision rematch games.

It would be just as boring and pointless to have 4 PAC teams in the playoff.  What if one year the talking heads all decide to rank Stanford, Oregon, USC, and Washington 1, 2, 3, and 4....then they play each other and the losses (to "top 5" teams dont hurt them much, the wins vs "top 5" teams help them enough to stay top) and then they all get to play again in the final...."national" championship.

There would be seething rage from the good people of SECland (or at least dismissal of the farce).

Remember the LSU-Alabama rematch?  The rest of the country doesn't... I put up with that once and it was just as painful to watch the rematch as the original game to end all games in Tuscaloosa (which actually didn't matter an iota in the scheme of it all).

This isn't about which conference is better, I think everybody acknowledges that there are more good teams in the SEC than any other conference and they play well out of conference, often.  I'm not buying what the talking heads on ESPN sell every week.  Most years teams like Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Wisconsin, Florida State, etc etc will be just as competitive as the teams on the top half of the SEC standings.  Hell, every few decades Michigan, Texas and USC will be able to compete too

I don't think the NFL would have the viewership it does if only the AFC North got to go to the playoffs each year...the best team from the AFC North should compete against other AFC teams and the best one should play against the best NFC team.  Half of the NFL isn't written off just because there is a perception, real or otherwise that the other half is in a league of their own.

We had the same discussion last year...what happened to God's conference when they played good teams from other conferences?  0-2 in BCS games.  Nobody else was fit to eat the corn from their shit before those games...
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:08:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yeah I guess that does make sense. Haven't really followed their season, just jumped out at me with that drop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, they didn't really "drop" considering this was the first poll.

Personally I find this very encouraging.  It shows these people are actually analyzing each team's entire season and ranking them accordingly.  Not just looking at the final score with a "what have you done lately" outlook.

Also it shows that teams like Notre Dame and Alabama are no longer going to get the benefits of past glory that the other, now meaningless, polls seem to afford them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:15:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I think some SEC-haters think more about the SEC than SEC fans do.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Auburn at #3. How about that. Wouldn't it be fantastic to see 4 teams from the SEC west in the playoff at the end.

I sleep better at night knowing that will never happen.

That would keep you up at night?

I think some SEC-haters think more about the SEC than SEC fans do.

THIS!

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Todd Gurley must sit for four games

The NCAA issued a statement on suspended Georgia running back Todd Gurley.

Georgia’s star running back must sit a total of four games, or 30 percent of the season, for accepting more than $3,000 in cash from multiple individuals for autographed memorabilia and other items over two years.

Gurley, who acknowledged violating NCAA rules, must repay a portion of the money received to a charity of his choice and complete 40 hours of community service as additional conditions for his reinstatement.

Gurley will be eligible to play on Nov. 15.
View Quote

AJC story

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Man I expected you guys to be a lot more pissed off over this.
View Quote
There is a long way to go until the end of the season. Things will change. At the end we will get all butt hurt.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Georgia’s star running back must sit a total of four games, or 30 percent of the season, for accepting more than $3,000 in cash from multiple individuals for autographed memorabilia and other items over two years.
View Quote

Communist fucking bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:28:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

AJC story

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Gurley, who acknowledged violating NCAA rules, must repay a portion of the money received to a charity of his choice and complete 40 hours of community service as additional conditions for his reinstatement.

AJC story

Don't forget costing him a Heisman.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

AJC story

Eligible to play for the AU game....how shocking

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:38:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Given the investigations into a domestic abuse incident and a drug related robbery will Fisher sit Karlos Williams for FSU Thursday night again Louisville?

Monk

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Umm... their (NCAA's) association, their rules?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Umm... their (NCAA's) association, their rules?

Their rules are anti-competitive and illegal.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Given the investigations into a domestic abuse incident and a drug related robbery will Fisher sit Karlos Williams for FSU Thursday night again Louisville?

Monk

View Quote

I'd be very surprised if he did.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:46:25 AM EDT
[#19]
How long until Jimbo takes time off for heart problems?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

AJC story

View All Quotes
Quoted:

AJC story

Back in time for Auburn.

ETA- robplumm beat me to it
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Monk

View Quote

Nope, innocent until proven guilty. I believe the domestic abuse thing is going away.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nope, innocent until proven guilty. I believe the domestic abuse thing is going away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Monk

Given the TPD's history probably so but given the reports of the GF posting about it online and rumors of pics of the abuse maybe not.
What does FL law say on the matter of DA without a cooperating witness?

Monk
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:09:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Many gun laws are baseless and arguably unconstitutional.  We still have to obey them until/unless we can get them changed or overturned... or pay the penalties for breaking them if we are caught.

I think some of the NCAA rules are ridiculous, but the players and programs are well aware of what they are and I have no sympathy for those who break them (even when it is one of my favorite teams or players).

YMMV.

View Quote

And theres the difference. We live in a system where we can vote and change rules.

NCAA "student-athletes" live in a system where the overseers foist illegal restraints on trade upon them and they have zero political power to change it, and a public that is (for some bewildering reason) totally cool with these kids being made unable to capitalize on their fame.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AJC story

He cost himself the Heisman.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:39:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Given the TPD's history probably so but given the reports of the GF posting about it online and rumors of pics of the abuse maybe not.

Monk
View Quote

I'll ignore your ignorant statement regarding TPD, but as far as crimes go...."no victim, no crime".

I've seen attempted murders go away because the victim "isn't a snitch" or some other such ghetto nonsense.

Edit: i'll add that while it is theoretically possible to prosecute certain crimes without a cooperative witness, it is rarely done and even more rarely successful.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'll ignore your ignorant statement regarding TPD, but as far as crimes go...."no victim, no crime".

I've seen attempted murders go away because the victim "isn't a snitch" or some other such ghetto nonsense.

Edit: i'll add that while it is theoretically possible to prosecute certain crimes without a cooperative witness, it is rarely done and even more rarely successful.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Monk

Ignoring things must be a major at FSU.
TPD capabilities and relationships with FSU were called into question by the local DA, the NYT, ESPN and just about anybody not wearing Garnet and Gold
It's not uncommon for local PD's to have inappropriate  close relations with schools and athletic departments so stuff happens all the time.

Domestic Assault laws often require the state to press charges even it the victim doesn't wish to press charges.
A Facebook post about abuse or photos of abuse would be sufficient evidence to press charges
My question were about specifics of FL law on the domestic abuse matters.

Monk
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#30]

She's a coworker's cousin's friend.  We laughed our asses off.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AJC story

More specifically: his failure to follow the ridiculous rules of the NCAA that allow everyone to make money off of college athletes expect for the athletes themselves.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#33]
The NCAA makes a rule that student athletes can only wipe their asses with their left hand.

Todd Gurley wipes his ass with his right hand.

NCAA suspends him for four games and makes him do community service.

Still just?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
He's not getting a full ride?  He's not getting room and board?
View Quote

He's not getting a full ride. Google "NCAA cost of attendance scholarship."

And the market value of his name and likeness far exceeds the scholarship he is receiving. The NCAA prohibits him from capitalizing on it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:54:40 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Comes off as fake as shit...

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:56:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

She's a coworker's cousin's friend. We laughed our asses off.

They look real to me.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

So that makes it completely okay for the NCAA and the Universities to make millions of dollars each year off these kids and then punish them when they try to make few thousand dollars off their own name?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The NCAA makes a rule that student athletes can only wipe their asses with their left hand.

Still just?
View Quote

How much money did he make doing it?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still just?

Whats that got to do with it? Its an NCAA rule. Rules is rules.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They look real to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

She's a coworker's cousin's friend. We laughed our asses off.
They look real to me.

Yep. True SEC fans.  I saw some facebook (or whatever stupid social media) screen caps posted by her saying that agents have contacted them after it went viral. lol
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still just?

Did he know about the rule before signing up?  

(no I don't agree with the rule)
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still just?

Sure why not
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Sure why not
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still just?

Sure why not

Then:

1) He should have known better.

2) He's stupid getting caught for breaking a stupid rule.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My employer makes far more off of my services than they pay me, and I guarantee they won't like it if I did some work on the side.
View Quote

no no no no no

your employer pays you a market wage based on your skill and the general market for similar labor. You are free to take up employment elsewhere if you are not fairly compensated for your time and labor.

Your employer not liking you working on the side is completely irrelevant. You can do it, if you have the time and energy.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My employer makes far more off of my services than they pay me, and I guarantee they won't like it if I did some work on the side.

If he doesn't like the rules, why not go straight to the NFL?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So that makes it completely okay for the NCAA and the Universities to make millions of dollars each year off these kids and then punish them when they try to make few thousand dollars off their own name?

If he doesn't like the rules, why not go straight to the NFL?

I'm sure some of them would if they could, but rules make it so they can't.

You have to be 3 years removed from high school in order to play in the NFL.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Then:

1) He should have known better.

2) He's stupid getting caught for breaking a stupid rule.
View Quote

So it doesn't matter that the NCAA's rule is patently ridiculous and serves absolutely no discernible purpose?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He broke the rules and admitted to it
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Illegal rules.
Page / 258
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top