BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 258
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I mean maybe but as of late it seems like SEC schools have been backing out of a lot of contracts.
View Quote

Who besides A&M?

And as someone already mentioned in this thread, we backed out because Oregon refused to swap the home dates, and thanks to our Arkansas contract in Jerryworld, we needed an extra home game that year.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Who besides A&M?

And as someone already mentioned in this thread, we backed out because Oregon refused to swap the home dates, and thanks to our Arkansas contract in Jerryworld, we needed an extra home game that year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I mean maybe but as of late it seems like SEC schools have been backing out of a lot of contracts.

Who besides A&M?

Aggie athletic director Eric Hyman exercised a clause from the contract. A&M and the Ducks agreed to back in 2009 that said they could get out deal if A&M changed conferences.

A&M fulfilled the requirements of the contract.

It happens everywhere (including Vandy cancelling the scheduled game w/Ohio St. with very short notice)

To quote wrestling legend Ric Flair, "to be the man, you gotta beat the man." If Ohio State or any Big Ten cohorts want to be the man, this isn't the way to go about it.

According to the Athens Banner-Herald on Thursday, OSU cancelled a planned home-and-home series with the University of Georgia that was set to begin in 2020. The two schools had just reached a memorandum of understanding back in December. That sort of cancellation is like SEC speed in dog years.

The cancellation, reported to be on account of the new Pac-12-Big Ten scheduling agreement, is not as perplexing as the series was to begin with. The schools concocted the game only a little over a month after OSU had backed out of a series with Tennessee in 2018 on account of the addition of a ninth league game. But one wonders what changed in less than five weeks.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That's the big difference between you and me. You - as do MOST others - care only about THAT GAME. The playoff game. It makes no difference if you made it into the playoffs at 13-0 or 6-7. If the 6-7 team has a lucky day and beats the 13-0 team, then that's the end.

I care just as much about the regular season and think it's a shame when some one-off team has a lucky day and beats some team they'd normally lose to 99/100.

That's just me though.

View Quote

I wonder if that comes from liking the "other" football, because I like every game mattering too.  

No playoffs for the Premier League or Bundesliga championship.  Every single game matters.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure if that's the case but it's not in their interest to play out of conference games, they have little to gain and everything to lose.
Alabama, lsu and auburn have played decent ooc teams recently. It's not alabama's fault PSU and michigan aren't where they should be.

When Auburn and lsu barely limped by kstate and wiscy, it doesn't help The Narrative.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#6]
1 hour until the first committee rankings

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I care just as much about the regular season and think it's a shame when some one-off team has a lucky day and beats some team they'd normally lose to 99/100.
View Quote

BREAKING NEWS: GERMAN MAN PREFERS PREDICTABILITY AND ORDER
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#10]
The 4 team playoff is BS. I would love to see it expanded to 8 or even 16. I wouldn't like to see any scenario where some teams get a bye week.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Try reading what I wrote again, maybe? I don't know what you think I'm trying to say, but....yeah.  I think you missed it.  

To give you an example of what I was trying to say, in 2010:  I have a hard time seeing #16 Virginia Tech (11-3) making it through the playoffs successfully and winning a championship.  Same goes for 2010 Miss St, ranked #15 (9-4) who lost to 4 teams they could have encountered again in the playoffs.

I wasn't arguing against playoffs or saying it shouldn't be expanded to 16 (as I noted in the original comment), just said that based on the actual results on the field in the past, I have a hard time seeing a #15 or #16 winning a championship....which still wasn't an argument against a 16 team play off so....

And I didn't say I couldn't see a single time they could compete, just that it would be difficult for a team like Ms State to come back and beat 4 teams who had already beaten them in the playoffs.  A controversial and laugh worthy statement, of course.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wTF?

You just said you couldn't see a single time that any of the "lessor" teams would have been able to compete, and I gave you an example from the day games were last played.

That proves my point about polls. I'm not using them to prove something else.

Try reading what I wrote again, maybe? I don't know what you think I'm trying to say, but....yeah.  I think you missed it.  

To give you an example of what I was trying to say, in 2010:  I have a hard time seeing #16 Virginia Tech (11-3) making it through the playoffs successfully and winning a championship.  Same goes for 2010 Miss St, ranked #15 (9-4) who lost to 4 teams they could have encountered again in the playoffs.

I wasn't arguing against playoffs or saying it shouldn't be expanded to 16 (as I noted in the original comment), just said that based on the actual results on the field in the past, I have a hard time seeing a #15 or #16 winning a championship....which still wasn't an argument against a 16 team play off so....

And I didn't say I couldn't see a single time they could compete, just that it would be difficult for a team like Ms State to come back and beat 4 teams who had already beaten them in the playoffs.  A controversial and laugh worthy statement, of course.  

The teams at the 12-16 spot sent there to win it all, they are there to upset somebody and shake things up. Any given Sunday and all that jazz.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The 4 team playoff is BS. I would love to see it expanded to 8 or even 16. I wouldn't like to see any scenario where some teams get a bye week.
View Quote

So there should be no reward for the #1 seed being a 13-0 SEC team instead of the #16 seed being a 9-3 Big 10 team?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

4 is better than where we were.
8 would be great and 16 would be awesome.
I think it will get to 8 one day but unfortunately I dont ever seeing the powers to be letting it get to 16 and any other number requires bye weeks which I don't like either.

If we had 8 we could take the 5 power conference champions and 3 at large or I would be ok with bringing back the BCS computer rankings and taking the top 8 that way.
Take the human element out of it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:18:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So there should be no reward for the #1 seed being a 13-0 SEC team instead of the #16 seed being a 9-3 Big 10 team?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reward is being seeded against the 16 seed and you should have your pick of several locations for the game being you are the 1 seed. The 2 seed matches up against 15 and picks their game location from a predetermined list of locations next and so on.
The 1 seed this year gets thier choice of where to play from the 2 predetermined locations.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Herbstreit on SEC bias

ETA:  Not to mention this may be the first time in a decade I've heard anyone say "Wow, Rolling Stone had a really insightful article on _______".  
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:33:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Who besides A&M?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who besides A&M?

Tennessee backed out of a contract with Nebraska for 2016-17.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:33:52 PM EDT
[#17]
First set of playoff rankings:

1. Mississippi State
2. FSU
3. Auburn
4. Ole Miss
5. Oregon
6. Alabama
7. TCU
8. Michigan State
9. Kansas state
10. Notre Dame
11. Georgia
12. Arizona
13. Baylor
14. Arizona State
15. Nebraska
16. Ohio State
17. Utah
18. Oklahoma
19. LSU
20. West Virginia
21. Clemson
22. UCLA
23. East Carolina
24. Duke
25. Louisville
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Shitstorm started

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#20]

3 SEC West teams in top 4 playoff committe.
Let the butthurt begin.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Let the SEC hate burn...
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:41:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Meh, didn't see anything too crazy.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

3 SEC West teams in top 4 playoff committe.
Let the butthurt begin.

View Quote

THIS

Lol, college football got what they wanted. A playoff system that ensured the best teams got a chance to win the national championship. I knew this would happen. The SEC always had multiple teams in the top 5 even with the BCS.

Go SEC!!!!

HAIL STATE!!!!!!

SEC SEC SEC SEC

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:44:49 PM EDT
[#24]
ND is at #10

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Auburn at #3. How about that.  Wouldn't it be fantastic to see 4 teams from the SEC west in the playoff at the end.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Getting to play the 16 seed at home isnt reward enough?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Auburn at #3. How about that.  Wouldn't it be fantastic to see 4 teams from the SEC west in the playoff at the end.
View Quote

College football would embrace the BCS again. There would be too much butt hurt if that happens.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heads would explode.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Heads would explode.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heads would explode.

State still has to play the #6 and #4 teams, Auburn still has to play #6 and #4, and Ole Miss has to play #1 and #3. There is no way there will be more than 2 SEC teams in the final 4, and likely only 1
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

State still has to play the #6 and #4 teams, Auburn still has to play @ #6 and @ #4 & @ #11, and Ole Miss has to play #1 and #3. There is no way there will be more than 2 SEC teams in the final 4, and likely only 1
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Auburn at #3. How about that. Wouldn't it be fantastic to see 4 teams from the SEC west in the playoff at the end.

Heads would explode.

State still has to play the #6 and #4 teams, Auburn still has to play @ #6 and @ #4 & @ #11, and Ole Miss has to play #1 and #3. There is no way there will be more than 2 SEC teams in the final 4, and likely only 1

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The reward is being seeded against the 16 seed and you should have your pick of several locations for the game being you are the 1 seed. The 2 seed matches up against 15 and picks their game location from a predetermined list of locations next and so on.
The 1 seed this year gets thier choice of where to play from the 2 predetermined locations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm aware how seeds work.  I'm talking about beyond that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
First set of playoff rankings:

1. Mississippi State
2. FSU
3. Auburn
4. Ole Miss
5. Oregon
6. Alabama
7. TCU
8. Michigan State
9. Kansas state
10. Notre Dame
11. Georgia
12. Arizona
13. Baylor
14. Arizona State
15. Nebraska
16. Ohio State
17. Utah
18. Oklahoma
19. LSU
20. West Virginia
21. Clemson
22. UCLA
23. East Carolina
24. Duke
25. Louisville
View Quote

Surprisingly reasonable.  

A good test to see if it was going to be same old shit was whether or not they'd have Bama ranked above Ole Miss.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

State still has to play the #6 and #4 teams, Auburn still has to play #6 and #4, and Ole Miss has to play #1 and #3. There is no way there will be more than 2 SEC teams in the final 4, and likely only 1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heads would explode.

State and Auburn win out we should get 2. No reason for them to fall out if they don't lose.
That will make for enough of a statement of the SEC West quality.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:05:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying it isn't.  I'm just asking the question.

The top two NFL teams from each conference get byes.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:07:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I sleep better at night knowing that will never happen.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We could spot em a TD or two.
It's just as easy to make it without bye weeks with no butt hurt about who gets the bye week.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:11:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would keep you up at night?  
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A bye for the top 2-4 teams would be more reasonable.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:13:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Picking game location from a predetermined list should give you a little bit of an advantage and reward throughout the playoffs.
How much more can one ask?
I want an expanded playoff to watch better teams play each other so bye weeks lessen those number of games.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think some SEC-haters think more about the SEC than SEC fans do.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Well Hotty Toddy!  I figured Bama would jump us and Oregon would be in.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Nothing too unexpected there. Only head scratcher I guess would be ND falling to 10.

Maybe Ole Miss at #4. Didn't they just lose last weekend?
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thinking about having to watch replays of the regular season all December gives me nightmares.
I guess I'm not as funny as I think I am
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

ND is at #10

View Quote
I find that reasonable.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That'll happen living in Georgia.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 9:39:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 258
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top