Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Same here with me.... .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I voted yes, but only when there is absolutely NO chance of innocence.

Same here with me.... .

While I also agree with this, we are finding that many convicted on death row are actually innocent.
How do we come to terms with this?
Do we just say "well, ya gotta accept some losses?"

That said, I am a firm believer in the death penalty.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Absolutely.

But I'm also believe in 'better to let a guilty man go free than imprison an innocent one'.  If someone is charged with the death penalty, it better be foolproof guilt.  That said there are people who need to die for the acts they have committed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:55:29 PM EDT
[#3]
No.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I vote yes, but only in cases where guilt is unmistakable.

Also, in such cases the penalty should be carried out as swiftly as an audience could be gathered.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Used to be 100% in favor until a few years ago.

Granted, there are cases where it's an open and shut case (Jeffery Dahmer for instance).

But, it's still a flawed system.

I am, and always have been a firm believer in 'it's better to let 99 guilty people go free, than one innocent person go to jail'... I don't give a flying fuck what the crime is.

However, regarding the death penalty, it should be a two stage trial where the death penalty would be applicable.

Stage one... found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt by a jury.

Strage two... found guilty beyond ANY doubt by a separate jury.

At least serving hard time for a crime one didn't commit is reversible.

Going to the gallows isn't.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Also, in such cases the penalty should be carried out as swiftly as an audience could be gathered.
View Quote

Guilt beyond a reasonable doubt was "proven" in every capital punishment case in this country.  Including the ones where the accused was actually innocent.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#7]
No, because of shit like this:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1611815_Man_cleared_of_NYC_murder_after_25_years_in_prison.html

Said it before so I'll use it again.  

Arfcom: where the government fucks up everything it touches except for capital punishment.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe in the case of murder/rape/ect. it should be up to the victim and their family to decide the punishment, whether they go free, go to prison or get strung up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, and I think we way under utilize it.

Murderers, child molesters, rapists, etc. should all be culled.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:07:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Either "every life is precious and a gift from God (who can forgive any sinner for any sin if he/she accepts him into their heart)"  

or

"6 billion people is enough, and every special snowflake, whether 6 weeks old or 60 years, can die without affecting the world or human beings as a whole in any way".  

I'll take option B, please.  Pro death is pro death.  "Pro life" aka "anti-choice" is pro-life.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, because I'm not an inconsistent and hypocritical "pro-life" and "pro-death penalty" RR member.

Yeah because killing a baby and killing a murderer is the same thing?   I'm not a hard core prolifer but there is a difference.

Either "every life is precious and a gift from God (who can forgive any sinner for any sin if he/she accepts him into their heart)"  

or

"6 billion people is enough, and every special snowflake, whether 6 weeks old or 60 years, can die without affecting the world or human beings as a whole in any way".  

I'll take option B, please.  Pro death is pro death.  "Pro life" aka "anti-choice" is pro-life.

That is some of the dumbest shit I have ever read.

Forgiveness is between the sinner and God.

Capitol punishment is between the criminal and society.

Killing is not always murder. Examples include self defense, fighting war, and capitol punishment.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Need to drastically speed up the appeals process so they do not get to spend 20-30 years on death row costing tax payers 100's of thousand's of dollars.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#12]
in a few instances : yes,  quickly.

if your headlights are out of adjustment I will consider your reaction before passing sentence when I give you my brights

there's not much need to discuss anything more serious in nature
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#13]
No, to many people serving 20-50-life sentences have been released due to bad evidence and corrupt DAs.  It's not worth gambling one innocent life.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In cases where the guilty party and their actions are proven beyond a doubt, certainly

Recent years where dozens of people have been released from death row based on improper convictions hasn't helped the cause of the death penalty
View Quote

For ONCE in almost 10 years, I agree with tc556guy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:16:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am for the concept of the death penalty. However, considering that it costs significantly more to deal with 20 years of appeals a death penalty case has to go through, and the number of people who have been determined to be innocent after being executed, I am against the reality of the death penalty.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do, by hanging. Why waste our tax dollars paying to support a murderer in prison for life? Poll inbound.
I am for the concept of the death penalty. However, considering that it costs significantly more to deal with 20 years of appeals a death penalty case has to go through, and the number of people who have been determined to be innocent after being executed, I am against the reality of the death penalty.  

This.  The life of one innocent man is not worth the risk that we put to death 10 guilty men.  It may feel good but what about the innocent man?  How can you justify that?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#16]
No, not with the current system in place.  Too many innocent men have been murdered by the state by either corruption or negligence.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No, to many people serving 20-50-life sentences have been released due to bad evidence and corrupt DAs.  It's not worth gambling one innocent life.
View Quote

And what's fucked up... what's really REALLY fucked up, and should be grounds for imprisonment of those involved, is that all those DA's, prosecutors, judges, police will still maintain that they were in the right even when faced with irrefutable evidence of the accuseds innocence.

They'll even go so far as to block or protest a retrial if new evidence, testimony is found or introduced that could potentially exonerate the accused.

Wastes of skin like that belong on the other side of the bars.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:27:21 PM EDT
[#19]
in theory, yes

in practice, I don't trust the government that much.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

or

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, because I'm not an inconsistent and hypocritical "pro-life" and "pro-death penalty" RR member.

Yeah because killing a baby and killing a murderer is the same thing?   I'm not a hard core prolifer but there is a difference.

or

I am by no means an overly religious person, yet I come down at the very least on the "state's rights" side of this issue, and probably on the anti-abortion side (Though I sometimes find myself conflicted).

That being said, your statement is not merely a false dichotomy, but a poor one.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Poll fail:

Where's the "FUCK YEAH!" option?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Why is the process so long, got lawyers trying to find a reasonable doubt and making excusees.
Hang a bunch of these Mother Fuckers before dawn . It might deter some .

They get out on parole. Cant make it. They say, " lets do this crime, if we can get away with it its good, if we get caught
we just go back to our cell. Fuck it lets go"
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That would really suck if you were one of these guys:

http://www.innocenceproject.org/Content/The_Innocent_and_the_Death_Penalty.php

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, and it should be promptly carried out. None of the waiting years and years on death row wasting taxpayer dollars.

That would really suck if you were one of these guys:

http://www.innocenceproject.org/Content/The_Innocent_and_the_Death_Penalty.php

DNA proof and you get the chair, add rape and child molestation to the capital offenses too

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Nope.  (Could support if there was always absolutely no possibility of a mistake, but since this isn't going to happen, no.)    

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

YES
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
And what's fucked up... what's really REALLY fucked up, and should be grounds for imprisonment of those involved, is that all those DA's, prosecutors, judges, police will still maintain that they were in the right even when faced with irrefutable evidence of the accuseds innocence.

They'll even go so far as to block or protest a retrial if new evidence, testimony is found or introduced that could potentially exonerate the accused.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agree 100%.  If there was only accountability in the justice system.....

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:02:17 PM EDT
[#27]
I would literally support death by wood chipper in the right situations. So, yes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:05:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Yup - I sat in our electric chair 25 years ago.....Old Sparky....they don't use it anymore, but they did when I sat in it. I worked Death Row for a few years back in the day. Seen a few make the one way trip to Hell.....Anyway, my problem is in the way it is implemented.

I can clear all of the Death Rows in 1 week. Everyone that can be proven, today, to get 100% conviction from all jury members.....they get a bullet in the head....I reload BTW, so bullets are available......Everyone that has a Death Penalty conviction and due to time, witnesses, DNA, etc.... can't be convicted today - gets life. Done.

That way, these old cases that may or may not have the right guy, get changed to life. It is so much cheaper to watch lifers (I did it, so I know) than Death Row Inmates. Like 100:1. Costs just dropped to 1%, imagine that.

I too believe in letting the guilty go free, vs. executing the innocent - even after working with them.

Having also worked the street....I would raise the proficiency levels of all cops....many bad guys would not be clogging up our prisons and jails if the cops could shoot. I was an instructor and range master for many years....cops are the worst group of shooters - except maybe the thugs themselves!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#29]
In theory, yes. In reality, no. Too many chances for mistake, not cost-effective, doesn't deter anyone.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#30]
For stupid threads, yes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I support a fair trial followed by a first class hangin'.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:13:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Yup - I sat in our electric chair 25 years ago.....Old Sparky....they don't use it anymore, but they did when I sat in it. I worked Death Row for a few years back in the day. Seen a few make the one way trip to Hell.....Anyway, my problem is in the way it is implemented.

I can clear all of the Death Rows in 1 week. Everyone that can be proven, today, to get 100% conviction from all jury members.....they get a bullet in the head....I reload BTW, so bullets are available......Everyone that has a Death Penalty conviction and due to time, witnesses, DNA, etc.... can't be convicted today - gets life. Done.

That way, these old cases that may or may not have the right guy, get changed to life. It is so much cheaper to watch lifers (I did it, so I know) than Death Row Inmates. Like 100:1. Costs just dropped to 1%, imagine that.

I too believe in letting the guilty go free, vs. executing the innocent - even after working with them.

Having also worked the street....I would raise the proficiency levels of all cops....many bad guys would not be clogging up our prisons and jails if the cops could shoot. I was an instructor and range master for many years....cops are the worst group of shooters - except maybe the thugs themselves!
View Quote
You don't think it was "100%" back then??????  The problem with DAs, judges, witnesses and jurors?????  They are all human.  You can't achieve 100% with them.....no matter the technology.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Nope, too many crooked people on the side of the State.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In a perfect world yup.  With our justice system, nope.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
In a perfect world yup.  With our justice system, nope.

And this is why

Quoted:
No. Too many people have been found innocent decades after being convicted.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Support it.  Hell, I wish they'd bring back stocks on the public square.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I used to support it, back when I trusted the justice system.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Don't get your panties all tied up. I was trying to keep a long post shorter. By 100%, I am referring to video/audio/dna - irrefutable evidence that is so common now. Not the old days of "blood types" and "eye witnesses" - got it?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Yup
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Don't get your panties all tied up. I was trying to keep a long post shorter. By 100%, I am referring to video/audio/dna - irrefutable evidence that is so common now. Not the old days of "blood types" and "eye witnesses" - got it?
View Quote
I guess you are talking to me but since you don't appear to know how to quote I'm not so sure.

Again, evidence that was considered "irrefutable" back then is the same evidence we consider "irrefutable" now.  Technology constantly changes, the human element of it does not.  Don't be so fucking naive and don't ask me if I "got it".

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#40]

If you trust the government with that kind of power, you are part of the problem.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I guess you are talking to me but since you don't appear to know how to quote I'm not so sure.

Again, evidence that was considered "irrefutable" back then is the same evidence we consider "irrefutable" now.  Technology constantly changes, the human element of it does not.  Don't be so fucking naive and don't ask me if I "got it".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gee, you seem to be right about everything....I can't quote. Also, you can say cuss words on the internet....scary guy here. Got it?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#42]
No...
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Gee, you seem to be right about everything....I can't quote. Also, you can say cuss words on the internet....scary guy here. Got it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol....I guess so!!

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually...how old are you????  Don't want to offend you with any cuss words.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes I do

But it wastes so much time that many on death row pretty much have life sentences.

We need more Sheriffs like Joe Arpaio that love to save money and do it the prison system (at least seen the most results). Heck some prisoners live better than some elderly in a nursing home.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:58:36 PM EDT
[#46]
I would give even more support if it were cheaper.

Slit their throat like sheep.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes and no.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Any person who is tried and convicted beyond a reasonable doubt of premeditated murder needs to go.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am so old that when I was a kid I went riding my pet dinosaur and fell of the edge of the earth....speaking of old - it's past me bed time - I'm gonna take my ancient rear to bed......
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top