Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/8/2014 4:41:06 PM EDT

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/04/08/1989-nyc-murder/7467337/

A man who spent almost a quarter-century behind bars for murder was freed Tuesday and cleared of a killing that happened when he was 1,100 miles away on a Disney World vacation.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say he has some money coming to him.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The gears of justice take 25 years to turn
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]
It seems every time I read these stories they always get screwed over by a woman, and nothing usually happens to said woman.  Just a casual observation in which I'm probably wrong.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:47:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Ca-ching!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn. How much realistically will this net him in damages?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Police pinning murders on innocent black men's in NY...don't surprise me!
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Not enough.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:58:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Holy Christ on crack.

You know the worst part of this? The guy is going to get one hell of a payout, and it's not going to cost the Judge, jury, cops, or prosecutor that sent him to prison a single dime.

But the rest of us taxpayers are going to be screwed out of several million dollars. Half of which will probably go to his lawyer.

Best court system in the world... But it still fucks up more often than we'd like to admit.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Police corruption.

And prosecutors' review produced a hotel receipt that Fleming paid in Florida about five hours before the shooting — a document that police had evidently had since they found in Fleming's pocket on arresting him, Mayol and Koss said.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Police corruption.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Police corruption.

And prosecutors' review produced a hotel receipt that Fleming paid in Florida about five hours before the shooting — a document that police had evidently had since they found in Fleming's pocket on arresting him, Mayol and Koss said.

But . . . but . . . the police don't want to put innocent people in jail and it's always good to talk to them so you can clear things up.  

What a bunch of happy horse-shit.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not enough.

Yeah...  I'm sitting here trying to think of a dollar amount that I would accept to spend 25 years in prison for a crime I didn't commit, without killing the worthless fucks that sent me there when I finally got out.    A billion dollars a year would still be questionable.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

But . . . but . . . the police don't want to put innocent people in jail and it's always good to talk to them so you can clear things up.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Police corruption.

This is why I urge caution to those that rabidly seek the death penalty and rush to conclusions.

When you're dealing with matters of life and death that is handled by a government bureaucracy it pays to be careful.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Holy Christ on crack.

You know the worst part of this? The guy is going to get one hell of a payout, and it's not going to cost the Judge, jury, cops, or prosecutor that sent him to prison a single dime.

But the rest of us taxpayers are going to be screwed out of several million dollars. Half of which will probably go to his lawyer.
View Quote

Actually, those damages are usually paid from an insurance policy, but the taxpayers do foot the bill for the premiums.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Sometimes the police don't give a shit about who they pin it on as long as someone gets collared and the murder gets wiped off the board. I bet it was way worse back then during the crack wars. Case closed motherfucker
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:07:08 PM EDT
[#15]
In before "he wouldn't have been suspected if he wasn't probably guilty of something else".

Prosecutor and cops involved should face the most brutal, painful 25 years of hard labor possible, and every last one of their possessions should be sold off to recoup as much as possible of the cost of whatever this guy gets in a very deserved settlement.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Being in LE myself, that's a shitty story and it would appear that guy shouldn't have spent 25 years in prison. At very least the city needs to pay him a metric shit ton of money.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah...  I'm sitting here trying to think of a dollar amount that I would accept to spend 25 years in prison for a crime I didn't commit, without killing the worthless fucks that sent me there when I finally got out.    A billion dollars a year would still be questionable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not enough.

Well, he's already done the time.   Might as well do the actual crime.

Personally, I might just find it within myself to have a serious lapse in judgement if I were on his jury in the subsequent trial.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Funny, I just saw Dark Blue, a police drama about corrupt cops in LA.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#19]
So much WTF in that story.  How do you lose an appeal when your only "eyewitness" recants AND you have proof that you were literally across the country at the time of the murder?  I would most definitely hunt down that psycho bitch that lied in court to put me in prison.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Holy Christ on crack.

Best court system in the world... But it still fucks up more often than we'd like to admit.
View Quote

no accountability
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#22]
This guy got 3.4m for 17 years.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/08/justice/new-york-wrongful-imprisonment-settlement/

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#23]
The wheels of justice are always slow and painful.

In every direction.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/08/justice/new-york-wrongful-imprisonment-settlement/

View Quote

$200k per year????  Nowhere near enough for me not to seek retribution.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Not only was this guy screwed, but where is the REAL murderer?!?!
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#26]
You can pay for a hotel in Orlando and be in NYC in 5 hours but flight records could be checked.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I would hold it together long enough to get money for the family and then I would go out and get MY payment….. oh, and no amount of money would satisfy me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.   It would be a nice stash for planning an effective and diabolical revenge plan though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Agreed.   It would be a nice stash for planning an effective and diabolical revenge plan though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a Patton (80s model I think) for sale (one of the few privately owned) for 700k or so a couple of years back.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#30]
the jury fucked this one up, they all should be put in jail for 25 years
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Police corruption.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Police corruption.

Thats just.....criminal. How the cops arent charged for something is beyond me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Some GDtard, 25 years ago:

Hurr durr shoulda drug 'em outside the court house and blode his head off witha $0.10 furdy-five... Idda donated the ammo!
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Police corruption.

Yet OJ walked
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Cases like these are why I am against the death penalty.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is why I urge caution to those that rabidly seek the death penalty and rush to conclusions.

When you're dealing with matters of life and death that is handled by a government bureaucracy it pays to be careful.
View Quote

That is why I am against the death penalty.

It's the ONLY reason.

I simply do not trust the system.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Our criminal justice system has no business handing out irrevocable punishments.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
the jury fucked this one up, they all should be put in jail for 25 years
View Quote

The jury was played as suckers by the DA's office just as much as the poor bastard that spent his time in the can was.

It's the DA and the lying cops that should be in the can.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Our criminal justice system has no business handing out irrevocable punishments.
View Quote

Yup, as flawed as it is.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here.

I'd wait till I got paid then spend it making life as miserable on the pukes (not the jury) that put me away as I could.

I'd live by the feud on their asses.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#40]
This is why I'm against the death penalty.  It's not that I have a problem with killing the guilty.  I don't trust the government to ability to prosecute a fair trial.  I don't have much faith in juror's either.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

What's 1/3 your life worth?
Not that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:41:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Death penalty should be reserved for open/shut solid cases.
Multiple witnesses, cam footage, public homicides, caught the guy eating the corpse, etc.

If there is ANY room for doubt, naaaaah.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
In before "he wouldn't have been suspected if he wasn't probably guilty of something else".

Prosecutor and cops involved should face the most brutal, painful 25 years of hard labor possible, and every last one of their possessions should be sold off to recoup as much as possible of the cost of whatever this guy gets in a very deserved settlement.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Police corruption.

This might have been a situation where you would want to talk...
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#46]
This is why I'm against the death penalty now. I've got no moral objection to putting down scumbags, I just don't trust our legal system not to kill innocent people.

I even start to get nervous now when I see cops, I think GD has fucked up my brain
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#47]
I would want those who got me there to be killed in a  most brutal fashion. Starting with the witness who lied.,
Lock me up for 25 years as an innocent man. You will release a friggin monster bent on vengeance.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

It's the ONLY reason.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the ONLY reason.

I am for it  for those who flat out admit and brag of thier crimes though.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Sometimes the police don't give a shit about who they pin it on as long as someone gets collared and the murder gets wiped off the board. I bet it was way worse back then during the crack wars. Case closed motherfucker
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, to reference you avatar; "You know the score, pal! You're not a cop, you're little people."
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Police corruption.

We are talking about a profession  that fought in court for the right not to hire people with high IQ's.

Story

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top