July 10, 2011

TWO planes are understood to have collided in a mid-air accident at an
airshow in Cambridgeshire.

Reports of an incident at Duxford Imperial War Museum have been confirmed but
the museum has yet to give details.

The museum is hosting its annual and popular Flying Legends event this
weekend.

It is thought the mid-air collision involved two planes, one being a P-51
Mustang. Only one plane was reported to have got into difficulty.

** Rest of story linked at title**

See more here (dramatic photos of Rob Davies bailing out of "Big Beautiful Doll" and Skyraider flying with a quarter of its wing shreded):

NYCAviation - P-51 Lost at Duxford

Video here:

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The Skyraider was one tough airplane.

Sorry at the loss of Big Beautiful Doll.

Glad no one was seriously hurt.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#2]
In before the naysayer's that want them all grounded in museums.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The Skyraider was one tough airplane.

Sorry at the loss of Big Beautiful Doll.

A flying tank!  

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad everyone made it home.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#5]
It's been reported that the pilots recently started studying Russian

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#6]
It isn't like there are a million of these things flying anymore. If you can't fly it without running into another flying museum piece then you shouldn't be flying it at all.

In ten more years, we won't have ANY flying anymore because of crap like this. This is why we can't have nice things!
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Watching the video, the Skyraider pilot lost sight of the lead Mustang and just ran over him.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Whole lotta WTF there,  How could the skyraider pilot not see the P-51.    Big Beautiful Doll is now a smoking hole in the ground.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Absolute tragety. These airplanes need to fly, but it has to be done with every bit of care and attention given to safety.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#11]
P-51 pilot got out quick. No doubt in his mind
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It isn't like there are a million of these things flying anymore. If you can't fly it without running into another flying museum piece then you shouldn't be flying it at all.

In ten more years, we won't have ANY flying anymore because of crap like this. This is why we can't have nice things!

Youre more than welcome to buy all the warbirds you care and park them if you wish.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Glad everyone is OK. Did Mustang driver bail?
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#14]
See additional photos of the Skyraider (F-ADZP) posted at Flickr by nickchalloner.

Embedding not allowed, but some incredible photos of the damage to the Skyraider's wing as it comes in to land.

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Youre more than welcome to buy all the warbirds you care and park them if you wish.

That's not my point. This isn't the Thunderbirds. These guys need to be TWICE as careful. These are finite resources that cannot be replaced. I love hearing these things flying over as much as the next guy and I want to CONTINUE hearing them fly over.

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:39:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not my point. This isn't the Thunderbirds. These guys need to be TWICE as careful. These are finite resources that cannot be replaced. I love hearing these things flying over as much as the next guy and I want to CONTINUE hearing them fly over.

Then at the risk of making a solicitation, we could use your support in the Commemorative Air Force.

<––––Life Member, CAF.

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Really? Damn. Not a good year for these old birds.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

There are more Warbirds flying now than there were 5, 10, 15 or 20 years ago.

They are literally being rebuilt from a pile of rusted junk, into award winning aircraft.

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#19]
WTF was damaged on the P-51 that the pilot though he needed to bail?  Motor still running, wings intact, control surfaces all there, wtf?

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then at the risk of making a solicitation, we could use your support in the Commemorative Air Force.

<––––Life Member, CAF.

Ouch, this just turned into a call out thread. Fair enough, 6winchester2.

Damn, base membership is $55 on the CAF website. I might have to make a challenge out of this.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Sucks the P51 was lost but the pilots are more important.  

This is good proof that the Skyraider is a really stout plane.  Not sure how many planes could survive missing a good chunk of wing.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

WTF was damaged on the P-51 that the pilot though he needed to bail?  Motor still running, wings intact, control surfaces all there, wtf?

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5392/img3207f.jpg

Notice the big dent on the bottom of the tail.  There was probably a good bit of damage internally that may have broke the cables going to the rudder and elevator.  Those are kinda important.

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Really? Damn. Not a good year for these old birds.

Not a good day at Duxford either.  A Fokker Triplane replica also nosed over today.  The pilot was unharmed, but the Fokker replica will need some repair.

Photo by Lens Envy on Flickr

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#24]
When I was playing in my softball league, our fields are at the end of a runway and 3 F4U corsairs took off and few around for a while.

Quoted:

In before the naysayer's that want them all grounded in museums.

People actually think that?  What a shame.

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I don't know, but there seems to be a pretty big gouge in the rear fuselage, so there may have been some control damage.  Plus, he seemed to be out of control, so he bailed rather than try to attempt recovery at such a low altitude.

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Notice the big dent on the bottom of the tail.  There was probably a good bit of damage internally that may have broke the cables going to the rudder and elevator.  Those are kinda important.

Perhaps.  Most flight control cables don't run along the bottom of the empennage structure though, especially in warbirds.  Part of what you are seeing is the natural contour of the aft fuselage.  

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Damn.

Glad no one was killed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:54:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know, but there seems to be a pretty big gouge in the rear fuselage, so there may have been some control damage.  Plus, he seemed to be out of control, so he bailed rather than try to attempt recovery at such a low altitude.

It took enough of a hit to shear the wing off a spad.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Its hard to tell from the pic,  but i do know that there are control cables for the elevator and rudder running through the area where the damage looks to be.  I see damage just behind the rear radiator scoop.  

I used to love doing resto work on P-51's.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps.  Most flight control cables don't run along the bottom of the empennage structure though, especially in warbirds.  Part of what you are seeing is the natural contour of the aft fuselage.  

http://www.airmuseumsuk.org/airshow/2004/Rougham2004/800/images/191%20North%20American%20P-51D%20Mustang%20472218%20G-HAEC.jpg

That pic shows quite a lot of damage to the rear fuselage just behind the radiator scoop.  IIRC the cables to run in that area,  about 6 inches to a foot above the scoop contour into the tail.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Not many living folks can say they bailed out of a p-51
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Bad weekend for GA........man who owns one of the BEST heavy truck shops in the area,was killed in his R22 near Rising Sun IN early Saturday morning.

RIP Joe Ohnheiser.......

Heard there was a crash in AL too.

And the OH-58 in TN....
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Been a bad year for classic aircraft.

dont forget the B17 that burnt up last month.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#36]
The B-17 Liberty Belle a few weeks ago, because the f-ing fire department didn't want to take a chance of getting their fire truck all muddy and possibly get it stuck in a field, and now this....   It's a bad month for warbirds.

So who's really at fault this time?  The Spad driver?  

I think the FAA's  (Or the European equivalent)  going to send somebody a ticket.

CJ

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Surfing the net,  I see a b-25 was severely damaged also (in the Netherlands?  )   and also word of a b-17 mishap.

ETA the B-25 was Russell's Raider.  Crashed in France.

Pic in link
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 7:08:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Sucks the P51 was lost but the pilots are more important.  

This is good proof that the Skyraider is a really stout plane.  Not sure how many planes could survive missing a good chunk of wing.

Remember the Israeli F15 4 years ago that lost all the right wing up to the duct on that side and still landed froma training accident?  Google f15 wing damage.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Aw man, Big Beautiful Doll? That sucks.

Glad nobody was injured or killed though.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#40]
damn
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#41]
tag
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#42]
damn big beautiful doll went down.....
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Bad fucking year

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Shane she was lost
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Glad everyone's OK, sucks about the Mustang.

Damn the Spad is a tough airplane...
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#47]
I hope they keep flying 'em even after there isn't really anything original left on 'em.

For anyone even peripherally interested in aviation there is NOTHING like the unexpected thrill of being outside and hearing an engine note that sounds like nothing else made in the last 50 years.

We used to live close to Clearwater/St.Pete airport and on at least 3 occasions I was in the yard with my son or wife when I heard the 4 radials of a B-17 coming well before I could see them, or even if you don't know the first thing about aircraft you can tell just from the engine note that a Mustang is a high performance plane.

Or just go stop by during one of the tours and you can climb throughout the plane or even take a flight if you want.

None of this can be replicated in a museum and it'll be a tragic day when the last Warbird's engine turns over for the last time.

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#48]
EAA Airventure Oshkosh WI in a few weeks.

See them while you can.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#49]

Good training, level heads and a little luck brought everyone home save. Sad to hear about the P-51.

Link Posted: 7/10/2011 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#50]
I am not questioning the actions of the P-51 pilot as his life is far more valuable then the plane.

But in the pictures I don't see any visible damage to the P-51. I wonder what controls he lost, or did he just freak out and bail!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top