BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Page / 38
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 2:29:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 7:05:48 AM EDT
[#7]
From today's Amazon Top 100 free that may be of interest to some.

The Power Of Self-Influence: Discover the Powerful Strategies to Achieve Your Success In 5 Days

Fantasy/dragons: Bitterwood (Bitterwood Trilogy Book 1)

Kids: Julio Bunny and the Foreign Lion (Free Audio Book Inside): --- Easter Book Collection For Kids --- (Julio Bunny Series)

Gourmet Cheesecake Recipes: Over 30 Cheesecake Recipes that are Simple and Delicious

Apple Cider Vinegar For Beginners: How To Boost Your Immune System, Lose Weight, and Prevent Allergies and Acne

Speed Reading: Speed Reading for Beginners Easy Techniques to Improve Your Reading Speed

Speed Reading: Techniques to Improve Your Reading Speed Today

Speed Reading Hand Book: The Ultimate Guide for Tripling Your Reading Speed in 1 day

101 Quick & Easy Cookie Recipes

Speed Reading: Speed Reading for Experts: Advance techniques to take your reading speed beyond and to the Next Level

The Backyard Homestead Survivalist Super Set: FREEDOM! Amazing Beginners Guide To Backyard Homesteading, Saving You and Your Family Time and Money When You'll Need it Most

Parents Who Love Reading, Kids Who Don't: How it Happens and What You Can Do About It.

Fantasy/alternative history: The Britannia Conspiracy

Silent Sales Machine 8th Revised Update - Automatic Online Profits

Atkins Diet Recipes for Beginners: 50 Quick and Easy Atkins Diet Recipes for Beginners to Lose Weight FAST!

Artfully Frugal: 50 Simple Ways to Save Money & Create Beautiful Art for Your Home on the Cheap

Cooking: Charcutería: The Soul of Spain
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#8]
My notes on free books

The Amazon Top 100 Free Kindle Book List for Today
[Amazon has several times changed the actual link to the top 100 free books. This link has not changed. You will have to select the top 100 free tab yourself.]

The Eden Plague (Plague Wars Series Book 0)
When veteran combat lifesaver Daniel Markis finds a mystery woman with armed invaders in his home and it all goes sideways, he turns to his brothers in arms to fight back. On the run from the shadowy Company, soon he finds himself in a war for possession of a genetic engineering puzzle that threatens the stability of the world. But who is behind it all - and are they even human?

The Eden Plague is a free futuristic thriller that will grip the imagination of readers who relish high-energy adventure.

The Plague Wars apocalyptic thriller series begins in the world of today with a man and a woman twined together by circumstances, destined to change the world. It leads readers into an ever-darkening future of upheaval, struggle and war marked by the depths of evil and the heights of selfless sacrifice. Plagues, new technologies and extraterrestrial meddling provide the backdrop for heroes and villains to struggle for control of the destiny of humanity.

5 star:(73)
4 star:(54)
3 star:(19)
2 star:(7)
1 star:(8)

[#53]

Ebola K: A Terrorism Thriller
In 1989 the Ebola virus mutated to into an airborne strain that infected humans for the first time on American soil in Reston, Virginia. Through belated containment efforts and luck, nobody died.

Now, in the remote East African village of Kapchorwa, the Ebola virus has mutated into another airborne strain without losing any of its deadly potency.

In this thriller, terrorists stumble across this new, fully lethal strain and while the world fearfully watches the growing epidemic in West Africa as Sierra Leone goes into country-wide lockdown, only a few Americans are aware of Ebola K and the danger it poses—to be the deadliest pandemic in the history of mankind.

Can they do anything to protect themselves from this killer disease? Can they stop the terrorists?

5 star:(82)
4 star:(13)
3 star:(2)
2 star:(1)
1 star:(1)

[#85 - been free for a few days. I got it and read it and gave it 4 stars.]
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Eden Plague (Plague Wars Series Book 0)

[#53]

[#85 - been free for a few days]
View Quote

FYI, Eden Plague has been free for about a month (if not longer) now and has been on the Amazon top 100 free list for most of that time.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Unholy Manifesto

Learn how to be a jerk and get away with it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Unholy Manifesto

Learn how to be a jerk and get away with it.
View Quote

The reviews are all 1 star. They says its basically a stolen reddit thread.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 8:00:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Nikola Tesla: Imagination and the Man That Invented the 20th Century is back on the amazon top 100 free list again.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 8:07:13 AM EDT
[#22]
My notes on free books

[Amazon has several times changed the actual link to the top 100 free books. This link has not changed. You will have to select the top 100 free tab yourself.]

I stopped posting for a while due to my wife's hospitalization. It seems to suck a lot of time out of my day.

Lady Justice and the Candidate
Will American politics always be dominated by the two major political parties or are voters longing for an Independent Candidate to challenge the establishment?
Everyone thought that the slate of candidates for the Presidential election had been set until Benjamin Franklin Foster came on the scene capturing the hearts of American voters with his message of change and reform.
Powerful interests intent on preserving the status quo with their bought-and-paid-for politicians were determined to take Ben Foster out of the race.
The Secret Service comes up with a quirky plan to protect the Candidate and strike a blow for Lady Justice.
Will there be a new resident in the White House or will it be politics as usual?
Join Walt on the campaign trail for an adventure full of mystery, intrigue and laughs!

5 star:(6)
4 star:(0)
3 star:(2)

[#2. Was a bookbub selection yesterday.]

Louisiana Longshot (A Miss Fortune Mystery Book 1)
CIA assassin Fortune Redding is about to undertake her most difficult mission ever--in Sinful, Louisiana. With a leak at the CIA and a price placed on her head by one of the world's largest arms dealers, Fortune has to go off-grid, but she never expected to be this far out of her element. Posing as a former beauty queen turned librarian in a small bayou town seems worse than death to Fortune, but she's determined to fly below the radar until her boss finds the leak and puts the arms dealer out of play. Unfortunately, she hasn't even unpacked a suitcase before her newly inherited dog digs up a human bone in her backyard.

5 star:(1,299)
4 star:(504)
3 star:(107)
2 star:(19)
1 star:(16)

[#3. Was a bookbub selection yesterday.]

The Bones Will Tell (A Skye Cree Novel Book 2)
A serial killer has the city of Seattle gripped in fear. As his bloody total continues to mount, Skye Cree gets dragged into the mix by her longtime friend, homicide detective Harry Drummond. Desperate for leads Harry hopes Skye’s special gift for locating missing children might be the answer. When Skye brings in Josh Ander, together they’ll face the most cunning adversary they have yet to hunt. As weeks turn into months, as the number of victims continues to climb, Josh’s vivid dreams of the crime scenes are the only key to unlocking the mind of a killer. But can Skye and Josh turn the tables fast enough when the unstoppable killer decides to come after them? Especially when the best clue they have is the revelation that—the bones will tell.

5 star:(133)
4 star:(45)
3 star:(12)
2 star:(3)
1 star:(5)

[#6. Was a bookbub selection a couple of days ago.]

The Privateersman (A Poor Man at the Gate Series Book 1)
In this classic historical fiction novel, first published in 2013, Dorset lad Tom Andrews escapes the hangman’s noose only to find himself shanghaied onto a Caribbean-bound privateering ship, before he and crewmate Joseph, flee to America carrying illicit booty. They prosper in the vile corruptness of New York - a town destined to be on the losing side in the Revolutionary War. Betrayed and forced to return to England, they seek riches in the early industrial boom. Tom relishes wealth, but also secretly yearns for love and social acceptance. His hopes rise on meeting the beautiful daughter of an impoverished aristocrat.

5 star:(23)
4 star:(7)
3 star:(4)

[#24. Was a bookbub selection a couple of days ago.]

Children of the After: Awakening (book 1)
It has been six months since their father locked them in the security vault with a promise to return. But he never came back. With supplies running out and vital life support systems failing, Jack, Samantha, and Will have no choice but to ignore their father’s warnings and leave the vault. With no knowledge of what befell the world outside, or what they might expect once the door is opened, they find themselves in a world they do not recognize.

Thrust into the remains of the world they remember, how will they survive on their own, not knowing what or who else remains amongst the ruins?

5 star:(76)
4 star:(52)
3 star:(33)
2 star:(15)
1 star:(4)

[#57.]

The Viking (The Viking Series Book 1)
At not quite fifteen, Stefan’s father finally let him board the longship Sja Vinna to take part in his first Viking raid. Yet, the battle was not at all what he expected and he soon found himself alone and stranded in Scotland.

Thirteen-year-old Kannak’s problem was just as grave. Her father deserted them and the only way to survive, she decided, was to take a husband over her mother‘s objections. Suddenly she was helping a hated Viking escape. Could Kannak successfully hide a Viking in the middle of a Scottish Clan? And why was someone plotting to kill the clan's beloved laird?
----
This book is a prequel to Marti Talbott's Highlander Series. Suitable for ages 14 and above.

5 star:(129)
4 star:(70)
3 star:(22)
2 star:(8)

[#60. A recent bookbub selection. I started to read it at the hospital the other day. So far I am unimpressed. It does have that young adult feel to it, so it may really not be all that suitable for adults.]

Arctic Kill (Executioner)
DORMANT DEATH

Formed in the wake of World War I, a renegade secret society has never lost sight of its goal to eradicate the "lesser races" and restore a mythical paradise. This nightmare scenario becomes a terrifying possibility when the society discovers an ancient virus hidden in a Cold War–era military installation. Called in to avert the looming apocalypse, Mack Bolan must stop the white supremacists by any means necessary.

Bolan tracks the group to Alaska, enduring the harsh arctic conditions while dodging highly trained killers. But the clock is ticking down, and Bolan will need all his skills and resourcefulness to eliminate this threat. All that stands between millions of people and a sure death is one man. The Executioner.

5 star:(5)
3 star:(5)
2 star:(0)

[#68. A recent bookbub selection.]

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:28:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Science Fiction Military: AlphaShock
View Quote

AlphaShock did not show as free, to me. $2.99. Maybe it expired?

Alternate Sci-Fi: The Second Lives of Honest Men
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must have changed. It showed free when I did a one click order on it just before 8:30am EST this morning, and the email I got confirming order indicated; "Total for this Order: $0.00", but now shows as $2.99. Go figure.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 4:47:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I just now bought it for free.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you subscribed to the Kindle Unlimited program? That show's $0.00.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.  Just a regular member.  I'm an author, but I don't think that makes a difference.  

BTW, I like your name/icon.  Very sad I sold my engraved Mak.  Although, I did swap it straight across for a motorcycle

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#34]
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NWC1RIW/

The Claws of the Bear: A History of the Soviet Armed Forces from 1917 To The Present by Brian Moynahan

The Soviet Army was one of the most powerful military forces ever created.

As the sun set over the radar crews of Kamchatka, across the strait from Alaska, it rose on divisions barracked on the former German soil of Kaliningrad.

Between these extremities of the eastern and western hemispheres, its men underpinned a system and a superpower.

Their desertion from the Tsar in 1917 created, amid a swirling civil war, the world's first Communist State in a giant country that neither Marx nor Lenin had thought ripe for revolution.

In the greatest battles of the Second World War, they broke the back of Nazism. They brought Communism and a new post-war order into the heartland of Europe during their advance. They maintained it through the long years of Soviet power, despite the tragic Hungarian and Czech revolts. At their peak, they were a rival to the United States.

In this, the most authoritative general study of Soviet military strength, Brian Moynahan reveals the history of this military colossus, its hardware, the ethos of its officers and men, its strategy and ambitions.

Gorbachev's sackings of senior officers are seen against the horrors of the Purges, current military-industrial strength against the freezing, roofless factories of 1942, the invasion of Afghanistan against the crushing of Prague. Trotsky, Stalin, Beria, Barbarossa, Zhukov, Khrushchev, Cuba, Dubèek, Walesa haunt its pages, as they haunt the new generation of Russian leaders in the Kremlin.

The book is drawn from a wide variety of published and unpublished sources, and from interviews with former members of the Soviet armed forces. At a time of flux, it strips the obscurity from the greatest force in modern times.

"As complete a briefing as can probably be found this side of a NATO intelligence file or Kremlin archives." - Kirkus Reviews

Brian Moynahan (born 1951) was European editor of the Sunday Times. As a foreign correspondent, he covered many modern crisis points first hand. He was a former Scholar of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge and graduated with a double first in History.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#40]
It has been a while since I have had time to post.

My notes on free books

The Moon Dwellers (The Dwellers Saga Book 1)

"One of 15 Series to Read if You Enjoyed The Hunger Games" --Buzzfeed

In a desperate attempt to escape destruction decades earlier, humankind was forced underground, into the depths of the earth, creating a new society called the Tri-Realms.

After her parents and sister are abducted by the Enforcers, seventeen-year-old Adele, a member of the middle-class moon dwellers, is unjustly sentenced to life in prison for her parents' crimes of treason.

Against all odds, Adele must escape from the Pen and find her family, while being hunted by a deranged, killing machine named Rivet, who works for the President. She is helped by two other inmates, Tawni and Cole, each of whom have dark secrets that are better left undiscovered. Other than her friends, the only thing she has going for her is a wicked roundhouse kick and two fists that have been well-trained for combat by her father.

At the other end of the social spectrum is Tristan, the son of the President and a sun dweller. His mother is gone. He hates his father. Backed by only his servant and best friend, Roc, he leaves his lavish lifestyle in the Sun Realm, seeking to make something good out of his troubled life.

When a war breaks out within the Tri-Realms, Tristan is thrust into the middle of a conflict that seems to mysteriously follow Adele as she seeks to find her family and uncover her parents true past.

In their world, someone must die.

5 star - 263
4 star - 158
3 star - 24
2 star - 6
1 star - 5

[#4 - a Bookbub selection yesterday. The author's summary makes it seem a little bit of a young adult book to me.]

Shades of Gray: A Novel of the Civil War in Virginia

Honor and conviction clash with loyalty and love in this epic Civil War love story that pits brother against brother. Shades of Gray chronicles the clash of a Confederate cavalry officer with a Union spy as they defend their beliefs, their country, and their honor. Called “a riveting piece of historical fiction” by the Midwest Book Review and often compared to Gone with the Wind, the novel takes readers across the rolling hills of Virginia in a page-turning tale of courage and love.

Gallantry and chivalry are put to the test when Colonel Alexander Hunter discovers the woman he promised his dying brother he would protect is the Union spy he has vowed to his men he would destroy. Readers will discover the fine line between friends and enemies when the lives of these two tenacious foes cross by the fates of war and their destinies become entwined forever.

5 star448
4 star121
3 star59
2 star28
1 star32

[#6 - a Bookbub selection Wednesday.]

Lost in Shangri-La: A True Story of Survival, Adventure, and the Most Incredible Rescue Mission of World War II

“A lost world, man-eating tribesmen, lush andimpenetrable jungles, stranded American fliers (one of them a dame withgreat gams, for heaven's sake), a startling rescue mission. . . . This is atrue story made in heaven for a writer as talented as Mitchell Zuckoff. Whew—what an utterly compelling and deeplysatisfying read!" —Simon Winchester, author of Atlantic

Award-winning former Boston Globe reporter Mitchell Zuckoff unleashes the exhilarating, untold story of an extraordinary World War II rescue mission, where a plane crash in the South Pacific plunged a trio of U.S.military personnel into a land that time forgot. Fans of Hampton Sides’ Ghost Soldiers, Marcus Luttrell’s Lone Survivor, and David Grann’s The Lost City of Z will be captivated by Zuckoff’s masterfully recounted, all-true story of danger, daring, determination, and discovery in jungle-clad New Guinea during the final days of WWII.

5 star503
4 star300
3 star110
2 star35
1 star19

[#33 - it has been free before but I have yet to read it.]

85 Quick and Easy Low Carb Slow Cooker Recipes: (Low Carb Diet, Low Carb Cookbook, Low Carb Recipes, Low Carb Crock Pot)

5 star2

[#50.]

Ebola Virus: Best, Worst and Most Likely Scenarios of the Ebola Pandemic

The world has been struck again by the Ebola Virus Disease; this time it has been more deadly than all the previous outbreaks together since the disease was discovered in 1976. It has already infected over 9000 people in West Africa and more than 4000 have died of the infection.
Since the disease is very infectious, today’s globalized society is the perfect medium for spreading the infection rapidly and far away. It is not helped by the governments sending sick people to other countries to be treated – it only takes one mistake.

On September 23. U.S. Centers For Disease Control And Prevention issued an alarming Ebola forecast: Without an increase in effective interventions, there could be 1.4 million cases of the disease in Africa within four months, up from the fewer than 7,000 cases recorded so far. Dr. Daniel Lucey, an expert on viral outbreaks and an adjunct professor at Georgetown University Medical Center has added: "I'm not confident we will be able to stop it." Even Obama said: "Here's the hard truth. In West Africa, Ebola is now an epidemic of the likes that we have not seen before."

In mid-October Doctors Without Borders declared they had maxed out Ebola aide resources.

But has the International media painted an objective picture about the current situation?

We all know that negative news sells more. Are the news skewed towards absolute worst scenarios of the current Ebola outbreak? Do we really need to panic? In this book I have covered all the facts objectively and give you the true best, worst and most likely scenarios.

In This Book You Will Find

What is Ebola
What is the worst-case scenario of the current Ebola outbreak
What is the best-case scenario of the current Ebola outbreak
What is the most likely scenario of the current Ebola outbreak
Practical knowledge on how to avoid the disease and educate others

[#92. Has just 8 reviews - all 5-star.]
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#41]
"Lost in Shangri-La" was an interesting read.

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
"Lost in Shangri-La" was an interesting read.
View Quote

Yes it was a good read, picked it up back in September when it hit the Amazon top 100 free list.

Hamfist down I mentioned above was a decent read as well.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#44]
My notes on free books

Presidential Shift: A Political Thriller (Corps Justice Book 4)
The vice president killed...
The first lady attacked...
A president on the edge...

Cal Stokes, former Marine and owner of Stokes Security International (SSI), has had a busy year. Trying to calm his inner demons and forget the tragic loss of his men, Cal dives headlong into his work, taking the battle to the enemy. Now the president needs his help to uncover a leak in his administration and start the long road to cleaning up Washington, and wrestling power back from corrupt officials who threaten to plunge the American government further into the abyss. Will Cal uncover the truth before it's too late?

5 star:(74)
4 star:(33)
3 star:(4)
2 star:(2)
1 star:(1)

[#4. I read the first book in the series. Was OK, but nothing that great.]

The Last Operation (The Remnants of War Series, Book 1)
A US Special Forces operator and veteran of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, Richard Daniels is weary of serving government officials.

Ensconced deep in the Florida Everglades, Daniels flies out of his own base of operations, rescuing wealthy refugees from dangerous situations then using the funds to extract unfortunates facing the same dangers.

When two shadowy government-types attempt to hire Daniels and his team, Daniels flatly refuses. Then his seaplane is impounded, a federal warrant is issued for his arrest, and Deeno, an honorary team member with Downs Syndrome, is detained on federal charges.

Daniels's mind is changed. His new mission: In exchange for Deeno's freedom, hunt down and return "Bio", a genetically enhanced soldier gone rogue. Simple enough; Bio is already a proven killer.

But when Daniels finds the diary of the last man Bio killed... plans change.

5 star:(17)
4 star:(13)
3 star:(5)
2 star:(3)
1 star:(2)

[#13. was a Bookbub selection a few days ago.]

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#45]
I tried reading the first Corps Justice book and simply couldn't handle the format. I was willing to overlook it, but the story just wan't enough to make up for it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 8:06:41 AM EDT
[#46]
After: The Shock (AFTER post-apocalyptic series, Book 1)

Book Description
Publication Date: August 1, 2014

AFTER: THE SHOCK

A massive solar storm erases the world's technological infrastructure and kills billions. While the remaining humans are struggling to adapt and survive, they notice that some among them have...changed.

Rachel Wheeler finds herself alone in the city, where violent survivors known as "Zapheads" roam the streets, killing and destroying. Her only hope is to reach the mountains, where her grandfather, a legendary survivalist, established a compound in preparation for Doomsday.

Other survivors are fleeing the city, but Zapheads aren't the only danger. Rogue bands of military soldiers want to impose their own order in the crumbling ruins of civilization. When Rachel discovers a 10-year-old boy, she vows to care for him even at the risk of her own life.

And the Zapheads are evolving, developing communal skills even as they lay waste to the society they will eventually replace.

Protect Your Tech: Your geek-free guide to a secure and private digital life

Book Description
Publication Date: October 20, 2014

If your password for every website is "monkey" or "iloveyou"...you need to read this book.

Learn, in one afternoon, everything you need to know to keep your personal data secure and private when you work, shop and play online – using (mostly) free online tools.

Last updated in October 2014 to cover the latest solutions to major digital threats.

Like most people, you rely heavily on your laptop or smartphone for many aspects of your personal and business life. But what would happen if your phone or laptop got stolen - what information would a criminal be able to find out about you?

The answer is: enough to get into your bank accounts and control your entire online identity. And in fact, your device never needs to leave your sight for you to be exposed to these risks every time you go online.

Protect Your Tech is an entertaining, action-oriented guide to safeguarding your digital life. With simple, jargon-free explanations, you'll learn easy steps you can take to keep your personal data safely under wraps.

Find out:
•How easy it is for someone to crack your online passwords – even “clever” ones like “Pa55w0rd!”
•The simple, but crucial, steps you need to take to protect yourself when you’re using your phone or laptop from a café, airport or other public place
•How to make sure that even if your device gets stolen, the thief can’t find out anything about you
•The dangers you’re exposed to if you use a “cloud” storage solution like Dropbox or Google Drive – and what to do about it
•How to avoid getting scammed when you’re buying online
•And much more!

Contains step-by-step instructions for desktop (Windows and Mac) and mobile (iOS and Android) devices.

The same principles will apply if you use other operating systems (like Linux, Blackberry or Windows Phone), but the recommended software won’t work on these platforms.

If you’re a security professional, this book won’t be for you.

You won’t learn how to hide from governments or use highly complex military-grade security techniques. Instead, you’ll be introduced to the most common threats you’ll encounter as an everyday internet user, and easy steps you can take – with only a bare minimum of tech knowledge – to keep yourself safer than 99% of the online population.

With clear, practical explanations, a complete lack of jargon and a hefty dollop of humor, Protect Your Tech is an easy, fun way to transform yourself from an average internet user into an unusually safe one.

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#47]
My notes on free books

America's Trust
When ex-CIA analyst Tom Butler stumbles across evidence of a conspiracy that will destroy America as a free nation, he must do whatever he can before it's too late.

Not knowing who he can trust, Butler has to resort to extreme measures to reveal the true nature of America's Trust. As he nears his goal, America is plunged into crisis. A war everyone thought would happen fifty years earlier, suddenly and inexplicably, raises its head.

With the world's armies bracing themselves for a battle nobody could see coming and America on the brink of annihilation, Butler realizes the scale of the conspiracy was far beyond even his worst nightmare.

5 star:(100)
4 star:(68)
3 star:(17)
2 star:(4)
1 star:(8)

[#5. was a Bookbub selection a few days ago. I started reading it. So far, pretty mediocre.]

Children of the After: Awakening (book 1)
It has been six months since their father locked them in the security vault with a promise to return. But he never came back. With supplies running out and vital life support systems failing, Jack, Samantha, and Will have no choice but to ignore their father’s warnings and leave the vault. With no knowledge of what befell the world outside, or what they might expect once the door is opened, they find themselves in a world they do not recognize.

Thrust into the remains of the world they remember, how will they survive on their own, not knowing what or who else remains amongst the ruins?

5 star:(97)
4 star:(64)
3 star:(43)
2 star:(22)

[#62. The author has another book on the top 100 list today as well. I think it has been free for a month or so and pops up on the top 100 list now and then. I have not read it either.]

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Peace Warrior previously mentioned in this thread is back on the Amazon Top 100 Free today.

Synopsys: It’s the mid-21st century when Sergeant First Class Grant Justice is killed during an ambush on an enemy tank column. Six hundred years later, his body is retrieved from the frozen, arctic lake where he perished. Re-animated by a team of scientists, Grant awakens to a civilization that has abolished war. A civilization that has outlawed violence and cherishes Peace above all else. A civilization that has been enslaved by an alien race called the Minith.

4.2 out of 5 stars (436)
5 star - 198
4 star - 154
3 star - 52
2 star - 20
1 star - 12
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Peace Warrior previously mentioned in this thread is back on the Amazon Top 100 Free today.

Synopsys: It’s the mid-21st century when Sergeant First Class Grant Justice is killed during an ambush on an enemy tank column. Six hundred years later, his body is retrieved from the frozen, arctic lake where he perished. Re-animated by a team of scientists, Grant awakens to a civilization that has abolished war. A civilization that has outlawed violence and cherishes Peace above all else. A civilization that has been enslaved by an alien race called the Minith.

4.2 out of 5 stars (436)
5 star - 198
4 star - 154
3 star - 52
2 star - 20
1 star - 12
View Quote

I have read it. I gave it 3 stars. Frankly I just do not understand how some of these mediocre books manage to get so many 4 and 5 star reviews. This is a readable book, but 5 stars? Not even close.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#50]
My notes on free books

The Crowns Vengeance
For 300 years, America has been under assault, the enemy silent, unseen.

In the august halls of the Ivy League, a scholar uncovers shocking evidence of an unimaginable betrayal.

Professor Erika Carr uncovers a Revolutionary era espionage report, lost for centuries in a cache of Alexander Hamilton's private documents. Dr. Carr is stunned when she discovers the intelligence reports were authored by Paul Revere. A clue hidden within the message suggests a second missive exists, waiting to be found.

Parker Chase joins her on a journey that leads to astonishing revelations about a centuries old conspiracy to destroy American independence. On Revere's trail, they are attacked by a murderous syndicate of international powerbrokers intent on silencing them forever.

Running for their lives, Parker and Erika must outwit an invisible enemy while unraveling a conspiracy that stretches from the morally bankrupt halls of Wall Street to oil-soaked sands in the Middle East. Locked in a struggle for their lives, they fight to reveal an unthinkable secret, the fate of a nation hanging in the balance.

5 star:(18)
3 star:(0)
2 star:(0)
1 star: (1)

[#1. Was a Bookbub selection yesterday.]

Page / 38
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top