Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Books
Page / 38
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#2]
a thriller, the Battle of Britain, and a PA story

The PA story is only available for free in the Nook edition.
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:13:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:44:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

If you read AMP : Messenger Book 1, of another Stephen Arseneault trilogy. I would avoid SODIUM, a different trilogy series by the same author.  AMP: Messenger held my attention and found it to be a good read. Hence my downloading Sodium.  
IMO
a terrible book. The main character was unlikable, a selfish freeloading FSA style person. I trudged through hoping he might have some redeeming qualities, enough to maybe give a look at book 2. Remember this is merely my opinion, hell i might be in the minority after some more read it. YMMV

I would say if you are on the fence after reading sodium. DO read AMP: Messenger. you'll wonder how he did one book likeable,  and the other well ...you decide.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:24:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you read AMP : Messenger Book 1, of another Stephen Arseneault trilogy. I would avoid SODIUM, a different trilogy series by the same author.  AMP: Messenger held my attention and found it to be a good read. Hence my downloading Sodium.  
IMO
a terrible book. The main character was unlikable, a selfish freeloading FSA style person. I trudged through hoping he might have some redeeming qualities, enough to maybe give a look at book 2. Remember this is merely my opinion, hell i might be in the minority after some more read it. YMMV

I would say if you are on the fence after reading sodium. DO read AMP: Messenger. you'll wonder how he did one book likeable,  and the other well ...you decide.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

IMO

Amp Messenger book 1 was much better than Sodium book 1. The main problem I had with Sodium book 1 is the main character (while being whiny and not a strong redeeming character) gets injured then does a bunch of stuff that would be practically physically impossible to do with a broken hand/wrist. That book didn't have much "sci-fi" in it either it was basically a book about walking/hiking around in nature, specifically Yosemite national park. The book was OK, hell it was free. I saw it as basically a time filler.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
A thriller and a PA horror novel today.

http://ilbob.blogspot.com/2014/08/free-kindle-books-8-30-14.html
View Quote

Thanks!  Working on a huge book from Stephen King now but this will be next.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:25:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:31:28 AM EDT
[#25]
not exactly "kindle"

but some decent reading for free (if it's your "thing")

The Feynman Lectures on Physics
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I am going to move my posts here instead of linking to them. Please bear with me while I try and work with some of the goofy restrictions here.

My notes on free books

The Amazon Top 100 Free Kindle Book List for Today
[Amazon has several times changed the actual link to the top 100 free books. This link has not changed. You will have to select the top 100 free tab yourself.]

DOPPELGANGER
The day Shane Fisher is mistaken for one of the thieves of a bank robbery, his ordinary life is turned upside down. Propelled into a dark dangerous world, he must race to discover the truth about himself and a reality he never knew existed. With the help of a mysterious stranger, Shane discovers that he possesses powers and abilities far beyond his wildest imagination.

DOPPELGÄNGER is an adventure of murder, betrayal and chaos; one man's loss - and discovery of personal identity. This novel blends scientific realism with technological fantasy, blurring the lines between fact & fiction. After the first few pages the reader will find themselves in a world at once both familiar yet bizarre and thrilling.

5 star:(12)
4 star:(4)

[#85]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 7:34:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
[Amazon has several times changed the actual link to the top 100 free books. This link has not changed. You will have to select the top 100 free tab yourself.]
View Quote

The following direct link to the Amazon Top 100 Free works and has been working for me since last November.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store/zgbs/digital-text/ref=zg_bs_fvp_p_f_digital-text?_encoding=UTF8&tf=1

One can search for a specific book free book; author, genre, etc. by substituting the word "stackpole" in the URL below with your own search term.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search?node=154606011&keywords=stackpole&field-price=0-0&redirect=true
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#31]
My notes on free books

Nothing today tripped my trigger. But, there are books coming onto and leaving the top 100 list on a regular basis so you never know what might show up, or what you might find interesting that I didn't.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Dystopian: Search Terms: Alpha
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 10:44:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
not exactly "kindle"

but some decent reading for free (if it's your "thing")

The Feynman Lectures on Physics
View Quote

That also gets the reader to their open source literature collection. They've got a lot of it. Some are Kindle. Some are .pdf. I'm curious how they got all the Philip K. Dick stories.

Another link on the page has free textbooks. I didn't check to see if they were the faculty editions.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#39]
My notes on free books

The Good Soldier: Jack Noble Early Years Bundle (Noble Beginnings & A Deadly Distance)

NOBLE BEGINNINGS (JACK NOBLE #1)

In March of 2002, while the eyes of the world focused on Afghanistan, Jack Noble finds himself on the outskirts of Baghdad, Iraq. A Marine in name only, Jack is on-loan to the CIA. Normally an integral part of the team, he finds that he is nothing more than a security detail in Iraq.

Jack and his partner Bear have a run-in with four CIA special agents over the treatment of an Iraqi family. Within hours Jack and Bear are detained.

All Jack wanted was to finish his enlistment and move on with his life. All he did was intervene and save a family from unwarranted violence at the hands of four CIA agents. But he soon discovers that he did far more than intervene. He has placed himself dead square in the middle of a conspiracy that reaches the highest levels of the U.S. government.

This Jack Noble political thriller is not for the faint of heart!

A DEADLY DISTANCE (JACK NOBLE #2)

Washington, D.C. Midday. A man waits at a bus stop, his intentions unknown. Two government operatives have been stalking him for days, waiting for him to make his move. Unexpectedly, the man takes off running and heads for a deserted warehouse.

Jack Noble and his partner, Frank Skinner, believe the man to be part of a terrorist organization that is involved in smuggling drugs and guns and men into the country. But it turns out their plan involves far more export than import, and hits a lot closer to home.

As the case in this explosive action thriller unfolds, the man behind it all reaches out to Jack with a simple message... 37 hours.

[#72. These are not really books. They are longish short stories. I have read both of them as part of an anthology of the first 5 in the series. I gave it 4 stars. I think both of the stories have been free before, as well as the 5 story anthology. It is not a bad read if you like the genre if you are willing to ignore the stuff that is way out there.]
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Two free Matt Bracken books through Wednesday at Midnight.

Castigo Cay

The Bracken Anthology
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

4 stars
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

4 stars
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4 stars

Couldn't get into it. It felt like I was reading something written by a tenth grader.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Couldn't get into it. It felt like I was reading something written by a tenth grader.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

4 stars

I agree with this, although I did finish it. Ending left a lot to be desired and seemed hurried.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#46]
[url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LDTQ6E6?tag=arfcom00-20 Blooded: A Thriller[/URL]

Suffering brutal nightmares, and with little memory of how and why he came to be back in his hometown, Jade will finally learn the dark truth of his clouded past. What was the agenda behind his sudden disappearance while fighting in the Middle-East, and the bloody events leading to his return? And why had his father, a war veteran, never spoken of his tour in Vietnam more than thirty years ago?

Together with Rebecca Leigh, a local cop with her own tragic history, Jade will face a steady stream of inhuman assassins, courtesy of the malevolent Louis Faulkner, a powerful figure with sinister ties to Jade's father.

5 star:(13)
4 star:(5)
3 star:(1)
2 star:(0)
1 star:(0)

I think this was a Bookbub selection yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

[url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LDTQ6E6?tag=arfcom00-20 Blooded: A Thriller[/URL]

Suffering brutal nightmares, and with little memory of how and why he came to be back in his hometown, Jade will finally learn the dark truth of his clouded past. What was the agenda behind his sudden disappearance while fighting in the Middle-East, and the bloody events leading to his return? And why had his father, a war veteran, never spoken of his tour in Vietnam more than thirty years ago?

Together with Rebecca Leigh, a local cop with her own tragic history, Jade will face a steady stream of inhuman assassins, courtesy of the malevolent Louis Faulkner, a powerful figure with sinister ties to Jade's father.

5 star:(13)
4 star:(5)
3 star:(1)
2 star:(0)
1 star:(0)

I think this was a Bookbub selection yesterday.
View Quote

Cold Blooded: A Thriller
Fixed link
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:48:19 AM EDT
[#49]

For what it's worth I gave it 2 stars.

Lots of potential here.
Page / 38
Page General » Books
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top