BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Agreed. People aren't too happy that Sony removed this functionality as well and Sony has indicated that it'll be enabled at some point in the future. If Sony enables it, Microsoft will most certainly enable it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So one of my favorite features of the 360 was the ability to stream media (video) from my desktop over wifi. This allowed me to watch downloaded content in my living room on my tv. Pretty standard stuff these days, right?

Well....   Does the One not have this capability!?!?  

I have googled and see that you can use something called 'Play To' from your windows 8 PC to send video the one. But you can not browse/start playback from the One. You need to initiate it from your windows pc.  Which becomes a big problem when your source desktop is a Mac. Previously i used software called 'Rivet' on my Mac, which essentially turns your computer into a networked storage device.

Hoping there is a software update for the One to rectify this shortly. Right now I am having to keep my 360 also hooked up, so that I can stream media.

Am I missing something somewhere to enable this?

Not at launch, but I would be surprised if there wasn't an update to allow the same functionality in the next few months.

Agreed. People aren't too happy that Sony removed this functionality as well and Sony has indicated that it'll be enabled at some point in the future. If Sony enables it, Microsoft will most certainly enable it.

Hmm.. wasn't aware Sony had removed it as well.. They would they both do this?? Seems like a huge step backwards, especially given MS' goal of living room / media hub.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly? My money rests on forcing you to purchase or rent digital content from Microsoft or Sony. Sony was made aware that people want this feature back (personally I couldn't care less) and they have indicated that the feature will be on the PS4 at some point in the future. I'm not sure what Microsoft is doing about it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Hmm.. wasn't aware Sony had removed it as well.. They would they both do this?? Seems like a huge step backwards, especially given MS' goal of living room / media hub.
View Quote

I would imagine that with the rush to get the consoles ready for launch day, those features weren't working 100%, weren't the focus of getting the console launch-ready, and will be patched in later.
Link Posted: 11/25/2013 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I would imagine that with the rush to get the consoles ready for launch day, those features weren't working 100%, weren't the focus of getting the console launch-ready, and will be patched in later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's always that. I always try to give the benefit of the doubt but it seemed rather...convenient in this case (for BOTH companies).
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 8:51:58 AM EDT
[#5]
http://kotaku.com/installing-xbox-one-games-takes-way-too-long-1471191836?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Does the glacial game download speed bother those of you on the One? It seems odd to me that some touted the One's marginally faster start up time when the install time is horrible when compared to the PS4. Hopefully Microsoft can improve this. The slow speeds would bug the hell out of me especially when the competitor's console has you playing the game in under a minute.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://kotaku.com/installing-xbox-one-games-takes-way-too-long-1471191836?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Does the glacial game download speed bother those of you on the One? It seems odd to me that some touted the One's marginally faster start up time when the install time is horrible when compared to the PS4. Hopefully Microsoft can improve this. The slow speeds would bug the hell out of me especially when the competitor's console has you playing the game in under a minute.
View Quote

You do realize they are comparing X1 install and update times to how quickly you can start playing a game on the PS4 (with no update), right?
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You do realize they are comparing X1 install and update times to how quickly you can start playing a game on the PS4 (with no update), right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are somewhat correct. If you read the article, you'll see that there were offline download tests done (no patch). The update is completed in the background on the PS4, and that still doesn't change the fact that one can pop a PS4 disc in and play in under a minute in most cases, while on the One you're looking at a wait of approximately 5-10 times longer. I'm curious as to why this is and it seems like it'd be frustrating.

ETA: After digging around a bit, I came across PS4 zlib. It appears that the PS4 has a feature that I haven't heard much about. This stuff is fascinating From Wiki:

To further enhance optical drive performance, the PS4 features a hardware on-the-fly zlib decompression module (a special piece of hardware used to quickly decompress the data on the Blu-Ray disc, which has been compressed to save space and bandwidth), allowing for greater effective bandwidth, whilst at the same time, the console continuously caches data onto its hard disk, even buffering unread data when a game isn't actively accessing the optical drive, forming part of Sony's PlayGo strategy.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 3:48:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Since installation is a 1 time deal, I really haven't noticed.  Plus, "XBox, Watch TV" and I'm good to go.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 6:58:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Is there a thread for ARFCOM'er gamertags on here? would be fun to play a bunch of these games with only the non infantile company of GD.

Link Posted: 11/29/2013 7:19:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Since installation is a 1 time deal, I really haven't noticed.  Plus, "XBox, Watch TV" and I'm good to go.  
View Quote

Yep.  That and once the install reaches about 5% or so, you can start playing the game.  Only played AC:BF and BF4 and install wasn't an issue.

There is only one thing that pisses me off about Xbone.  I cannot send a voice message to friends.  Only text.  WTF is that?

Link Posted: 11/29/2013 7:37:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yep.  That and once the install reaches about 5% or so, you can start playing the game.  Only played AC:BF and BF4 and install wasn't an issue.

There is only one thing that pisses me off about Xbone.  I cannot send a voice message to friends.  Only text.  WTF is that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe the X1 uses a higher quality audio codec so unless your friends are also on X1's, voice communications/messages are out.  Now if you friends are on X1's, then it was probably an oversight that will be patched in.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 8:48:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Is there a thread for ARFCOM'er gamertags on here? would be fun to play a bunch of these games with only the non infantile company of GD.

View Quote

Tell me about it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_119/1384146_Consolidated_Arfcom_gaming_database___PC__XBOX__PS3_gamer_IDs.html
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 8:49:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fair enough. Maybe I'm just a bit spoiled but I hated the install times on the PS3 and I'm amazed that Microsoft adopted that model while Sony left it behind.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell me about it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_119/1384146_Consolidated_Arfcom_gaming_database___PC__XBOX__PS3_gamer_IDs.html
Many Thanks

Link Posted: 11/29/2013 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Awesome multiplayer stuff with Ryse.

Link Posted: 11/29/2013 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I still haven't taken mine out of the box. So glad I got the Launch Day Pre-Order.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Fair enough. Maybe I'm just a bit spoiled but I hated the install times on the PS3 and I'm amazed that Microsoft adopted that model while Sony left it behind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With these consoles, just about everything is open to improvement.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Many Thanks

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell me about it.

Many Thanks

Link Posted: 11/29/2013 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes of course. I just find it baffling that steps backwards were taken...best I can figure is that it's indicative of an unfinished product but like you said, it's open to improvement.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 7:19:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I have most of the systems, PS2, PS3, wii, Xbox 360 etc..
I chose the Xbox one and I was lucky enough to get one at launch day.
I esp like that they added the Blu Ray feature.
When prices start to settle, I will eventually also get a PS4
I don't like knocking down other brands, as I like them both and
the kids are into the Nintendos (wii, wiiU, DS etc...)
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have most of the systems, PS2, PS3, wii, Xbox 360 etc..
I chose the Xbox one and I was lucky enough to get one at launch day.
I esp like that they added the Blu Ray feature.
When prices start to settle, I will eventually also get a PS4
I don't like knocking down other brands, as I like them both and
the kids are into the Nintendos (wii, wiiU, DS etc...)
View Quote

BluRay really is great. When prices settle, I may pick up a One provided the issues are ironed out (which I believe they will be). Like you, I own and play just about every system, dating back to the NES. Regardless of our console (or PC) preference, we're all gamers here. The discussion is all in good fun
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 12:34:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

BluRay really is great. When prices settle, I may pick up a One provided the issues are ironed out (which I believe they will be). Like you, I own and play just about every system, dating back to the NES. Regardless of our console (or PC) preference, we're all gamers here. The discussion is all in good fun
View Quote

except for the playstation guys are wrong. Xbox is better.

Link Posted: 11/30/2013 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Trying to pick up an Xbox one, not sure if it will be coming back in stock anywhere anytime soon. Hope I can get one before Christmas! I just want to play Madden dammit.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Trying to pick up an Xbox one, not sure if it will be coming back in stock anywhere anytime soon. Hope I can get one before Christmas! I just want to play Madden dammit.
View Quote

They are out there.  Just keep looking.  I picked mine up at Walmart the other night.  

Link Posted: 11/30/2013 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Also,  if anyone is looking for a new headset for their Xbone.  Turtle beach is running a sale right now until the 1st.

Buy any 360 headset and they will ship you a adapter for free when they are released.  No idea when that is yet though.

If you can't wait until then, there are videos on youtube that show you how to make one out of the chat headset that came with the console.

I haven't done it yet.  I have my 360 on my desk plugged into my BenQ.  I use a set of wired turtle beaches there.  My Xbone is on my big screen in the living room.  

I want a set of wireless headsets so I'm not dragging wires across the room. Trying to decide between Turtle beaches and Astros for wireless.  I used to have a set of wireless Trittons and they were complete shit.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree
Xbone is still young, and needs a few more updates/patches
and hopefully, they will fix the "long loading time" issues.
One other positive thing I also noticed, aside from the bluray
is that even in wifi, multiplayer runs pretty good, unlike my 360/PS3.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 4:46:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Them's fightin' words. I've noticed that I flip-flop in the recent generations. PS2, then 360, then PS4---I always own the competitors console but those are the ones I prefer. Ahh Capitalism and the self-correcting market.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

They're fairly common in my area. Good luck finding a PS4 but the One isn't selling as well so they are a bit more available. Good luck
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I agree
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree

If there's anything Microsoft is good at, it's releasing patches. I'm sure the issues will be fixed in a year. I'm not sure what they can realistically do about the long loading times as the PS4 not the One has the zlib but hopefully there's an improvement. What issues did you have with the multiplayer on the 360/PS3? I never experienced any issues with the wifi on either system but I've always had exceptionally fast internet.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They're fairly common in my area. Good luck finding a PS4 but the One isn't selling as well so they are a bit more available. Good luck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's funny, I've called EVERYWHERE around here and no one has them. Like 15 different stores, including 3 AAFES exchanges.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That's funny, I've called EVERYWHERE around here and no one has them. Like 15 different stores, including 3 AAFES exchanges.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Odd. Could be regional. I could be way off base.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#32]
No stores around here have had them.  A few had some for black friday and they only had half a dozen at best.  I ordered one through the Microsoft store the other day and it shipped yesterday.  My local gamestop said sometime in december for the next shipment to come in but couldn't or wouldn't give a time frame.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#33]

except for the playstation guys are wrong. Xbox is better

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/1/2013 4:57:44 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
Sweet

Link Posted: 12/1/2013 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Walked into BB this morning to look at iPads and they were handing out slips for XBox 1s.  I got one for my brother as a Christmas present.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Microsoft’s Xbox One wins early sales battle on Black Friday

"The Xbox One video game console dominated the rankings at Walmart and Target, coming in No. 1 with a 31 percent share even though it had the highest purchase price at $499.
[...]
The news isn’t entirely bad for Sony as sales were evidently constrained by limited availability of its new PlayStation 4, which launched on Nov. 15, one week ahead of the Xbox One. But it does suggest that Microsoft succeeded in preparing its supply chain for a torrent of sales.
[...]
At No. 2 was Microsoft’s older Xbox 360 console, which had a 30 percent share.
[...]
Sony’s PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 tied for third with a 15 percent share each.
[...]
Nintendo’s Wii U console came in a distant fifth place with 6 percent market share.
[...]
Together, the Microsoft consoles had 61 percent of the market..."
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

"The Xbox One video game console dominated the rankings at Walmart and Target, coming in No. 1 with a 31 percent share even though it had the highest purchase price at $499.
[...]
The news isn’t entirely bad for Sony as sales were evidently constrained by limited availability of its new PlayStation 4, which launched on Nov. 15, one week ahead of the Xbox One. But it does suggest that Microsoft succeeded in preparing its supply chain for a torrent of sales.
[...]
[...]
Sony’s PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 tied for third with a 15 percent share each.
[...]
Nintendo’s Wii U console came in a distant fifth place with 6 percent market share.
[...]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]

Yep, like you posted, supply was constrained for the PS4 as it has dominated the NA market, has millions of units backordered, and also just launched in Europe. The figures should be interesting after retailers are restocked with the PS4.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 9:41:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Walked into BB this morning to look at iPads and they were handing out slips for XBox 1s.  I got one for my brother as a Christmas present.
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#39]
I think MS has been producing more. More in stock = more sold. They had about 15 Xbox One consoles this morning, all from people who pre-ordered but did not pick up. I was able to get one and now they are sold out again.

Don't mean to sound too whiney, but setting this thing up has been a pretty extensive process. From hooking up all the connections to downloading, calibrating, and now signing in. I remember a time when you plugged in a console and played games.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 10:19:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think MS has been producing more. More in stock = more sold. They had about 15 Xbox One consoles this morning, all from people who pre-ordered but did not pick up. I was able to get one and now they are sold out again.

Don't mean to sound too whiney, but setting this thing up has been a pretty extensive process. From hooking up all the connections to downloading, calibrating, and now signing in. I remember a time when you plugged in a console and played games.
View Quote

Yep you're spot on. The setup process for the One is much more extensive than the PS4. My PS4 setup was plug in the HDMI, power, and Ethernet cables, turn it on, download a patch, sign in, and I was good to go.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Yep you're spot on. The setup process for the One is much more extensive than the PS4. My PS4 setup was plug in the HDMI, power, and Ethernet cables, turn it on, download a patch, sign in, and I was good to go.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the xbox was the exact same, plus that one extra step of calibrating the kinect, which may have taken a whopping four or five minutes.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 1:54:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

the xbox was the exact same, plus that one extra step of calibrating the kinect, which may have taken a whopping four or five minutes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My XBox One and my PS4 are sitting right next to each other under my TV. Set each of them up, about a week apart. Didn't really see much of a difference in the time it took to be up and running.

(I didn't bother setting up the Kinect because I have a new TV coming in about a week.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 2:06:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I must be mistaken. Several friends who own the One stated that it was a lengthier set up process than the PS4 and was generally a bigger PITA but I don't own One myself.
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#46]
I am enjoying the Xbox one so far. One of the problems I had is that I had to figure out how to setup my Microsoft account, which I hadn't used in a while. The e-mail didn't go through to my primary e-mail, so I had to resurrect an only yahoo account and change the password on that one, so that I could change the password on my microsoft account. Kind of a pain in the butt. Calibrating the Kinect was hard because I couldn't get my wife and 2 year old kid to be quiet for 3 minutes. I told my wife to stop making noise and she just ignored me.

Watched some TV with the XBOX, played some Madden and some Killer Instinct. May pick up Call of Duty: Ghosts but it really bugs me that it's 720p.

I think the platform for Xbone has a lot potential for more features and cool stuff down the road. I'm sure the next version they come out with will be cheaper and smaller too.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 10:14:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 3:34:08 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote
i had the original 360 that was white and didn't care for it, but have to admit the X1 in white is kinda sexy.  

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 9:01:44 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
i had the original 360 that was white and didn't care for it, but have to admit the X1 in white is kinda sexy.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yep same here. I had 3 of the original white ones that each bricked on me. I love the way my black 360 slim looks. I didn't think I'd like the white X1 especially with a black Kinect but it...just works. Wouldn't match my set up but it still looks sexy.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#50]
I've had my xbox1 for over a week and needless to say its awesome. Once my family and I got the hang of the voice commands it's been a breeze to change channels, use YouTube & Netflix.

I only have dead rising 3 & battlefield which both play well, I do have issues with battlefield servers dropping me out of games from time to time but other then that I've been very happy
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top