Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2014 3:28:04 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I have a friend from PA looking to come spend some time at my place this hunting season. He asked if he could bring his ar15 rifle to the house and shoot a little while not in the woods. Is he allowed to bring a non NY compliant weapon into the state if he is not a resident?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
No, must comply with all NYS laws.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

I have a friend from PA looking to come spend some time at my place this hunting season. He asked if he could bring his ar15 rifle to the house and shoot a little while not in the woods. Is he allowed to bring a non NY compliant weapon into the state if he is not a resident?
View Quote

I'm sorry but the provisions of the (un) SAFE Act make AR-15 rifles essentially illegal in NYS irrespective of residency.
This is a good place to start: http://programs.governor.ny.gov/nysafeact/gun-reform
Additionally unless he's Law Enforcement or attending a NRA Match/Competition he CANNOT bring a handgun period.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#4]

How did I know OP would have less than 5 posts?
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:19:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there a requirement for a number post before you can ask a question on this forum?  It's a great question to ask for someone doesn't keep up on all of the unSAFE laws.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there a requirement for a number post before you can ask a question on this forum?  It's a great question to ask for someone doesn't keep up on all of the unSAFE laws.
View Quote

Multiple times this forum has been probed by questionable posters wanting to know how to work around the laws or if they can do X-Y-Z, not to mention at least once a week someone with a scant few posts will ask the same questions....we usually find out they were Reporters or someone from the anti-gun side of the fence digging for something to use against us.
Research is easier asked than done; problem is the answers given aren't always as factual as those you search for.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:22:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I always want to post titties in shit threads on the hometown like this to get them locked quick.
But that is what would happen to me, locked quick.

edit
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm sorry but why do people ask stupid fucking questions? Can my friend bring a gun to your state to shoot that the RESIDENTS can't have?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'm sorry but why do people ask stupid fucking questions? Can my friend bring a gun to your state to shoot that the RESIDENTS can't have?
View Quote

NY is filled with asinine laws. Non NY residents with handgun licenses in their states can bring a handgun into the state to shoot in a NRA sanctioned match, or come into the state and shoot your handgun at a match, or handle your handguns at a NRA class (education exemption), but your 22 yr old son or 82 yr or Korean War vet dad can't touch your handguns without a permit - unless they are taking a gun class at a institute of higher learning.

It is not the person that is asking the question, it is the stupid fucking law, and citing safe act, which to date many here are still not sure on exactly what a permanently fixed magazine is, just like 15 years ago people were of many decisions on what a permanently fixed flash hider was.

If we treat everyone who pops up with a question we've answered hundreds of time already, there is a good chance of alienating the very people we are exhorting to vote in upcoming elections.  This place is not supposed to be some sort of exclusive club where everyone knows the rules, and everyone is equipped with google-search-fu. It is supposed to be a place where gun owners can, among other things share and spread the love of safe shooting, and support our 2nd amendment rights.

Carry on.

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

NY is filled with asinine laws. Non NY residents with handgun licenses in their states can bring a handgun into the state to shoot in a NRA sanctioned match, or come into the state and shoot your handgun at a match, or handle your handguns at a NRA class (education exemption), but your 22 yr old son or 82 yr or Korean War vet dad can't touch your handguns without a permit - unless they are taking a gun class at a institute of higher learning.

It is not the person that is asking the question, it is the stupid fucking law, and citing safe act, which to date many here are still not sure on exactly what a permanently fixed magazine is, just like 15 years ago people were of many decisions on what a permanently fixed flash hider was.

If we treat everyone who pops up with a question we've answered hundreds of time already, there is a good chance of alienating the very people we are exhorting to vote in upcoming elections.  This place is not supposed to be some sort of exclusive club where everyone knows the rules, and everyone is equipped with google-search-fu. It is supposed to be a place where gun owners can, among other things share and spread the love of safe shooting, and support our 2nd amendment rights.

Carry on.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carry on.

Which is why I posted a conservative, non hostile reply.
He didn't ask about handguns, but that's often a follow up question.  
Of course you're pretty well correct in you assertions.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Advise him that the exact instant that he drives over the NYS border he has left his Constitutional rights behind in America. On a nice day when the wind is out of the south I can actually smell freedom.  PA should really add the line "America starts here" to their signs.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#12]
FUCK!
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Back under your bridge.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Carry on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Carry on.

Just think about that statement for a while.  You really think people will refuse to vote 2A because they got "dissed" (or whatever the latest ghetto phrase is) on a firearms website?  

If they are that fragile and/or stupid I'd rather they just stay at home anyway.  

And really, it is not that hard to look up the laws of NY State.  Are they hard to understand?  Damn freaking right they are!  Nobody here understands them either.  

So good luck to all those wanting to bring in your evil baby killing machine guns to NY to hunt or plink with.  

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#15]
All I ask is read through 3 pages of thread titles before asking some dumb shit here.

Maybe a Google search or two. At this point I'd rather shave my balls with a potato peeler than continue to read these threads.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Just think about that statement for a while.  You really think people will refuse to vote 2A because they got "dissed" (or whatever the latest ghetto phrase is) on a firearms website?  

If they are that fragile and/or stupid I'd rather they just stay at home anyway.  

And really, it is not that hard to look up the laws of NY State.  Are they hard to understand?  Damn freaking right they are!  Nobody here understands them either.  

So good luck to all those wanting to bring in your evil baby killing machine guns to NY to hunt or plink with.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Carry on.

Fortunately I plan for the whole frigging war, and not the battle. You are looking at the person in front of you today. I am visualizing the mindset of their great-great grandchildren.

Go ahead, tell me you understand exactly what I mean.

-ml

Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

What I am acutally more curious about / can't believe is how it seems everyone who visits NY for even a weekend feels like they can't live without their guns / shooting for a couple days.  

When I go on vacation, I don't bring guns, and the last thing I bother thinking about is recreational shooting.  But maybe that's just me.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

What I am actually more curious about / can't believe is how it seems everyone who visits NY for even a weekend feels like they can't live without their guns / shooting for a couple days.  

When I go on vacation, I don't bring guns, and the last thing I bother thinking about is recreational shooting.  But maybe that's just me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What I am actually more curious about / can't believe is how it seems everyone who visits NY for even a weekend feels like they can't live without their guns / shooting for a couple days.  

I can see two view points: one is the innate perception that NYS equals NYC and in going there one needs be heavily armed because of all the Thug-life, how many times has someone posted there that they're going to NYC and want to know if they can take this, that, or the other? Secondly there it might be there isn't a good place to shoot, therefore heading up to the woods might be just the ticket to try out a gun without some RO right up his ass complaining that he's firing too fast.
When I travel I carry multiple guns; sometime I get to use them, other times not, but that's just me.  [://
"The only people I've ever made friends with were the ones that I was friendly towards first."  
The OP might be one hell of a great guy with tons to share, might be Average Joe, might even be the biggest tool since FUAC himself; running him off won't answer those questions.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Carry on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carry on.

Yes, a non-resident can possess a handgun under certain circumstances for a sanctioned event. But then again possession of a handgun in NYS is perfectly legal with a permit. A resident cannot possess an "assault weapon" unless registered, and it is no longer possible to register one. So why would nobody think a non-resident would have MORE freedom than what is possible for a resident. Your analogy sadly does not apply.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What I am acutally more curious about / can't believe is how it seems everyone who visits NY for even a weekend feels like they can't live without their guns / shooting for a couple days.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's just you.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:43:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yes, a non-resident can possess a handgun under certain circumstances for a sanctioned event. But then again possession of a handgun in NYS is perfectly legal with a permit. A resident cannot possess an "assault weapon" unless registered, and it is no longer possible to register one. So why would nobody think a non-resident would have MORE freedom than what is possible for a resident. Your analogy sadly does not apply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NY is filled with asinine laws.

I did not make an analogy. I pointed to the flaw in your argument.

1. Can a friend bring a gun to your state to shoot that residents cannot have?

Non-residents can bring handguns into the state to shoot that state residents without permits cannot touch.

This is one single example where the law is ass-backwards enough where people here and outside of NY come here to seek clarification on what is legal. Dude did not ask a stupid fucking question, our laws are fucking stupid - which lead to questions like this. Of course the dude that asked the question should be up to date on the law. Who seeks out legal advice on a forum? Not me.
This question is not directed at you, but to anyone/everyone else:

Why are you on this forum? What is your objective, goal or purpose for being here?

Because from what I see, some folks take pleasure in being annoyed at others (who may be jackholes, ignorant or liberals posing as gun owners) asking what are essentially THE SAME questions I see being posed at gun-shows, in classes, on the ranges, to cops, etc.

We should always BOLO for Brady folks looking to stir shit up but also understand there is a chasm of difference in what "we" know, and the 22 yr old new gun owner or 54 yr old who has owned guns for 33 years who posts here. In my off forum life I am known to those who know me as a "gun guy". I can't take 3 steps at any range I frequent without being peppered with questions on the most basic aspects of gun related law or firearms - sometimes sadly from people who should know better, or from people whom I've given answers to in writing before.

In 2 months of lurking here I learned more about ARs than if I'd read 3 books on em. This site has dissected NYs gun laws in greater detail and perspective than mostly anywhere else I've come across. I am somewhat tempted to assume at times that others who come here have spent 1/10th as much time as I do here (as evidenced by my 1000 plus posts), and so I assume they should have seen us post about their silly question five times in the past month already.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Fortunately I plan for the whole frigging war, and not the battle. You are looking at the person in front of you today. I am visualizing the mindset of their great-great grandchildren.

-ml

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Carry on.

-ml

Newsflash:  there is no battle or war in New York.  Did you sleep through the results of the last gubernatorial election?  

If you are referring to out of staters asking questions here, well, my position is that it is first up to the gunowner or potential gunowner to take responsibility for being lawful and compliant.  

That does not mean taking the lazy way out and asking your questions on some internet forum where you might get some right answers and are likely to get a lot of wrong answers.  

That means researching the actual laws.  There are lots of resources on the webz for that and anyone who is too lazy to do their own research probably is not the type of person who should take on something as potentially lethal as owning firearms.  While everyone should have the right, not everyone should take on that responsibility due to their own personal failings.  

Anyone with a modicum of awareness should know that New York sucks when it comes to many things, but especially Constitutional rights.  Therefore anyone contemplating traveling here should already know that the deck is stacked against them.  Assume you can't, and then research whether maybe you can.

Hell, even when traveling to so-called friendly gun states you need to do adequate research to stay within the law.  Every state has little potential "gotchas" than can jam you up.  

So don't just assume that we are here to turn a cold shoulder and piss off potential good guys.  How about putting the burden on the ones asking the questions to do their own heavy lifting for a change?  Too many gunowners fail to vote, fail to donate money to the cause, fail to learn the laws, and fail to exercise good judgment when owning or handling firearms.  They leave the hard work to the few.  Most people on this forum are part of "the few."  Many of us are tired of doing the hard stuff for the lazy ones.  I know the truth hurts--most gunowners are lazy and selfish.  If they weren't, this nation and state would be in much better shape.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:57:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And me.
Well i have a knife or two.
and my skillz
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

And me.
and my skillz
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And me.
and my skillz

Funny, I to have/had skills, training, and experience which has taught me that I'm too old, fat, and lazy to do anything other than walk away either before having to or just after just shooting the fucker.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote

Me too.  I am always in blue states with laws that are close to as bad as NY (MA, NJ, CT, RI, CA) so it is pointless.  In fact, it has been so long since I have been in a free state I am not even sure what it feels like any more.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Me too.  I am always in blue states with laws that are close to as bad as NY (MA, NJ, CT, RI, CA) so it is pointless.  In fact, it has been so long since I have been in a free state I am not even sure what it feels like any more.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I suppose that's the difference: I usually go to "free States" like KY, TN, AL, AR, FL, etc.....It's fun to hand you kid a couple boxes of 5.56 and tell him to take them over to the guys the next set of lanes over where they're shooting full autos. (give them the ammo and they'd let you shoot their toys. ) Tell me that as a teenager from NY that it wouldn't be the cats-ass letting you burn a mag from their M-16.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 3:17:45 AM EDT
[#27]
I apologize for the stupid question, I try and research as much as possible but needed a quick answer on this. I recently escaped NYC so a lot of these rules are still new to me but I already can't stand how free everyone else is 10 minutes away.

With the chance of being a repeat offender, I ask another potentially stupid question. Can someone from an AWB state (nj) bring their pinned, 10 round compliant rifle into NY to shoot at a range? He has owned it for years.  I am assuming the answer is no but figure I would ask anyway. (Not sure how anyone can "prove" it's not my rifle that I have had for years. )
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I apologize for the stupid question, I try and research as much as possible but needed a quick answer on this. I recently escaped NYC so a lot of these rules are still new to me but I already can't stand how free everyone else is 10 minutes away.

With the chance of being a repeat offender, I ask another potentially stupid question. Can someone from an AWB state (nj) bring their pinned, 10 round compliant rifle into NY to shoot at a range? He has owned it for years.  I am assuming the answer is no but figure I would ask anyway. (Not sure how anyone can "prove" it's not my rifle that I have had for years. )
View Quote

No they SHOULD NOT BRING A AR15 OF ANY KIND TO NY
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:15:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Man, NY sucks
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Man, NY sucks
View Quote

You're getting the hang of this. You're going to fit right in here.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:46:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:15:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Man, NY sucks
View Quote

Except for Wegmans, Empire Apples, and my family... yes.  NY sucks.
(If only I could move all 3 down to a free state!)
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 8:18:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Man, NY sucks

Wegmans has stores in other states'
People can send you care packages of apples
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Advise him that the exact instant that he drives over the NYS border he has left his Constitutional rights behind in America. On a nice day when the wind is out of the south I can actually smell freedom.  PA should really add the line "America starts here" to their signs.
View Quote

Best post I've read on these forums in a long time...
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top