Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2014 1:32:58 PM EDT
New to the site so if this is in the wrong location my apologies.  I will be hunting in NYS this season for whitetail and wanted to try the AR-15 out instead of the 30-06.  I haven't been able to get my AR out that much and want to just give it a few rounds.  My question is:  Does anyone on here live in NY and have an AR?  I called and spoke to a wildlife officer to confirm my gun will be legal there and from what I explained he said I shoudl be fine.  I took his name and number so if I have an issue I can say that I at least explained it to this officer.  Reading different state sites, which is confusing and as*backwards to be honest, it seems that my gun may still be "illegal" there.  I have a factory DPMS Sportical with a P-223 scope on it.  If anyone can help with information for making sure my gun is legal to hunt with there and any info on those that hunt whitetail will be appreciated.

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Is your rifle "compliant" and does NY have any caliber restrictions?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Unregistered ar-15 in ny double check and triple check ,,,,,call Nys state police read Nys safe act ny gun laws suck and I live here!!! Good luck
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I will have to call the state police and see where they clearly list the requirements.  From the state sites that I have seen so far, most things are listed more than once and appears to have been put together by a 12 year old.  The caliber is able to be used for hunting since I will be using 5.56.  I have an adjustable butt stock though and I'm not quite sure what they consider a "pistol grip."   I never changed the grip and haven't added anything except the scope.  He stated that as long as the scope does not emit a light/laser it is legal.  Just so annoying when you want to do things correctly but the state does not easily detail what is legal and what is not.  I doubt that I will be stopped seeing I am on private property but I just want to be legal so IF i did get stopped, my gun would not be seized and I can hunt without issue.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
If the grip is stock its illegal. so is a colapseable stock.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Might post your question in the New York Hometown Forum.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#6]
If it ends up being legal make sure you get some decent soft point ammo. I told myself I would never hunt with mine again but I am once again tempted to try it and will be using the federal fusion MSR ammo.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#7]
So i called the state police who forwarded me to the NYDEC.  A side note i would like to make is that they like to make things very complicated which makes it VERY difficult for someone to follow laws/rules properly.  I spoke to a wildlife officer, explained what I had on my gun and he stated that it was OK.  I spoke to someone today and he said you can't hunt with an AR because of the new NY Safe Act.  Pressing him further reveled that you CAN hunt with an AR as long it doesn't have certain features.  He stated that it was, if it had ONE feature but the site says TWO of the following features.  I called someone at 1855-GUNLAWS and was connected with a very rude person saying it is illegal to hunt with my gun.  I tried to explain that I used their interactive feature on their page and with all my features it stated that my gun is considered an assault weapon and needs to be registered.  I asked if I could register it even if I am out of state and he said NO.  I tried to see what would need to be removed to make the gun legal to use and it was the use of only a 5 round magazine.  I called up again and asked if I only had a 5 round magazine in my possession and nothing else, is that acceptable for an out of state user, he said NO.  

My question is, Is there a way to temporarily limit the magazine size of my AR?  as in Can i make it so that it can only accept a 5 round magazine while I am hunting? Aside from that, this law is a joke.  It's based on what people feel from what they see rather than the reality of it.  Someone who is limited to 5 round magazines or someone who has 30 round magazines can inflict the same injury if skilled enough and mentally unstable to even do such a thing.  Why make those who follow the laws feel as if they are being targeted for a feature?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So i called the state police who forwarded me to the NYDEC.  A side note i would like to make is that they like to make things very complicated which makes it VERY difficult for someone to follow laws/rules properly.  I spoke to a wildlife officer, explained what I had on my gun and he stated that it was OK.  I spoke to someone today and he said you can't hunt with an AR because of the new NY Safe Act.  Pressing him further reveled that you CAN hunt with an AR as long it doesn't have certain features.  He stated that it was, if it had ONE feature but the site says TWO of the following features.  I called someone at 1855-GUNLAWS and was connected with a very rude person saying it is illegal to hunt with my gun.  I tried to explain that I used their interactive feature on their page and with all my features it stated that my gun is considered an assault weapon and needs to be registered.  I asked if I could register it even if I am out of state and he said NO.  I tried to see what would need to be removed to make the gun legal to use and it was the use of only a 5 round magazine.  I called up again and asked if I only had a 5 round magazine in my possession and nothing else, is that acceptable for an out of state user, he said NO.  

My question is, Is there a way to temporarily limit the magazine size of my AR?  as in Can i make it so that it can only accept a 5 round magazine while I am hunting? Aside from that, this law is a joke.  It's based on what people feel from what they see rather than the reality of it.  Someone who is limited to 5 round magazines or someone who has 30 round magazines can inflict the same injury if skilled enough and mentally unstable to even do such a thing.  Why make those who follow the laws feel as if they are being targeted for a feature?

Thanks
View Quote

Dont even try to hunt with your ar in nys.. you will be cuffed and stuffed. hunt with your 06 this year.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Basically remove the pistol grip and stock and put on a really ugly ass bastard stock. Doppelganger will chime in I'm sure
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#10]
if its registered u can hunt with it.  if its neutered u can hunt with it.

those are the only 2 options.

prepare your anus.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not understanding what you mean.  Under the interactive tool listed on the far left RED square here: http://www.governor.ny.gov/nysafeact/gun-reform  I am legally able to use this gun as long as I don't have the ability to hold more than 5 rounds.  My answers to the questions were as follows:  RIFLE; YES; YES; #'s 1, 4 and 7; (telescoping butt stock, protruding pistol grip, muzzle break); # 2 (Is it unable to accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition?)    ***If i clicked none of the above for the last question, it states that my gun is an assault weapon and needs to be registered****  My questions are:  Can i register my gun for use in NY state OR can i modify the gun to ONLY accept a 5 round magazine while I am there?  

I have a 5 round magazine but because I can drop that and pop in a 30 round magazine it's illegal.  If i can register the gun or limit what it can take I can use it.  Can I do either of these?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:54:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#13]
This law is not meant to be complied with.  It is intended to inhibit and prohibit your ability to lawfully possess semi-automatic firearms, magazines, and ammunition.  Why would you want to expend the energy on such a fruitless endeavor?  Use your bolt-action in NYS and your AR in PA.  Simple.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:04:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for your reply.  I am taking the hunting aspect out but if you use that site i listed and put the answers in that I listed you get that it is legal to use only through the answers I stated.  My question is:  Can I limit the gun to only accept a 5 round magazine or less?  Then switch it back when I am in a more understanding normal state?  Not trying to be an ass or ask over and over.  I know the law will not change for me, just trying to see if limiting magazine type is temporarily possible.  What stops other AR acceptable guns in NY with a detachable magazine from accepting a 30  or 40 round clip?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:10:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Also not sure you can use an AR-15 to hunt in PA.  I think it's only high powered rifles but don't quote me on that.  I've only been hunting in PA 1 year because the area by me is so densely packed with hunters you trip over each other.  Scary
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:14:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Deadhorse.gif
PleasePleasGodMakeItStop.gif

F U A C

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks was just trying to get my question answered seeing that it was not addressed so far.  Not beating a dead horse, just read and you'll see that.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:17:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Also not sure you can use an AR-15 to hunt in PA.  I think it's only high powered rifles but don't quote me on that.  I've only been hunting in PA 1 year because the area by me is so densely packed with hunters you trip over each other.  Scary
View Quote

IIRC   You can't use any semi-auto to hunt in Pa.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks was just trying to get my question answered seeing that it was not addressed so far.  Not beating a dead horse, just read and you'll see that.
View Quote

Not frustrated with your question, just the arbitrary assinine law which has No answer.
Seriously no one can answer your questions because the "law" is so poorly written.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#20]
If you have a 10 round mag blocked to 5 you're okay to hunt with it under NYS DEC rules - there's no need for permanency - it's no different than a dowel in a waterfowl shotgun.

As stated earlier, any mags with a capacity over 10 are illegal for the common man to possess in NY.

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you have a 10 round mag blocked to 5 you're okay to hunt with it under NYS DEC rules - there's no need for permanency - it's no different than a dowel in a waterfowl shotgun.

As stated earlier, any mags with a capacity over 10 are illegal for the common man to possess in NY.

View Quote

That addresses the hunting regulations, however unless that magazine is permanently attached to the receiver, he would still be in possession of an unregistered assault weapon as per the NYS Penal Law.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:58:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#23]
The juice doesn't seem worth the squeeze. Imagine this, you jump through all the hoops to make sure you are in "NY compliant" and you still get popped by someone that does not understand the muddy laws.  You get jewelry and a conversation with a judge.  I'd rather book a hunt somewhere and save some money and time.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm working on a bolt action AR for hunting. I will be using a non-reciprocating charging handle upper and a barrel with no gas port. That will allow any features you want.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm working on a bolt action AR for hunting. I will be using a non-reciprocating charging handle upper and a barrel with no gas port. That will allow any features you want.
View Quote

I have a provisional patent for a device that converts an AR into a manual loader without modification to the AR structure. I really need a gun parts manufacturer capable of reproducing the parts and very anxious to team up!  I have two working prototypes and plenty of shooters that have field tested the device....yes all features you want...

Ed

BTW:  Everything you need to know about deer hunting legally with the AR is linked here:

http://www.eregulations.com/newyork/hunting/big-game-boundary-descriptions-legal-implements/
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I would suggest that no one tries to enplane to someone with low post counts how to "modify" your rifle to circumvent laws.
Should just have a standard response. Or a tacked thread with some info and the NYSP phone number.

Leave your gun home.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Listen man. The moral of the story is do not bring an ar-15  into New York. Your AR has features that New York State deems it an Assult Weapon. If it has a pistol grip (yes the only thing your trigger hand grabs to shoot the thing), is semi automatic and has the ability to accept detachable magazine it will get you a ride to jail. Fuck New York go hunt somewhere else. It's not worth getting a record over. Hope that helps

Ps - the 5 round thing was the least of your worries.

Pss- FUAC
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:51:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I think the moral of the story is don't ask for an opinion on these forums, you can ask 10 guys sitting in front of a clock what time it is and maybe two will agree.  The AR is a legitimate hunting rifle...but it must be NY compliant (or if not NY compliant- be registered) to hunt with it..period.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Thank you everyone for your replies.  For the record I have been on this forum with another name but many months ago for the last time I was on.  I simply forgot my password and email that I used so instead of wasting more time, i just created a new name.  I am very safe when it comes to firearms and not looking to modify willly-nilly.  Again thank you everyone for the replies and hopefully these laws become clearer or more lenient in the future so people can enjoy hunting with other weapons they own.

Cheers
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:41:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thank you everyone for your replies.  For the record I have been on this forum with another name but many months ago for the last time I was on.  I simply forgot my password and email that I used so instead of wasting more time, i just created a new name.  I am very safe when it comes to firearms and not looking to modify willly-nilly.  Again thank you everyone for the replies and hopefully these laws become clearer or more lenient in the future so people can enjoy hunting with other weapons they own.

Cheers
View Quote

Your welcome and i doubt it very much.. It wouldn't surprise me at some point nys will ban hunting. Look at not allowing hunting for wild hogs in nys.

Next step ban deer and bear hunting bring in commercial hunting companies  to reduce the heard with a kick back to the writers of the banning on hunting.

Just like the light bulbs i have no doubt in my mind the people drafted the bill for that had stock in companies making the newer lights.

After they ban hunting there will be no reason in the liberal communist view to own a weapon.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have a factory DPMS Sportical
View Quote

You can not bring this rifle into NY. The end.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#32]
You have to remember that gun laws are not designed to prevent crime, they are designed as a trap for the law abiding.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That rifle is clearly non-compliant...getting a little suspicious about this topic....almost like a reporter trying to set us up.

As they say NO means NO.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:14:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Forget for a minute the hunting part of your question.

First, you need to determine if you can even possess that AR in NYS.

If it has the ability to accept a detachable magazine, and is semi-auto, then you cannot have any other "features" on it.
This includes a pistol grip, collapsible stock, flash hider, bayo lug, etc.
Pretty much any feature an AR typically has.

The exceptions to this are any of the above that has already been registered in NYS, which yours hasn't.

Also, you have the magazine issue.  Any mag with a capacity over 10 rounds is now illegal in NYS, again, unless it already has been registered.

You can block them to proper capacity, but there is some controversy as to the "permanence" of the modification.

Bottom line is that I don't think that bringing your AR across the border into the PRNY is a good move.

and

FUAC
View Quote

This is the proper analysis.

First step is to legally get it in NY.  

If it's semi and stock (standard config) it will not be NY legal.   Or you had it in NY in your possession and registered it prior to the cut off date.

Then once you legally have it here then you can look at the hunting aspect;
caliber is ok, magazine must be limited to 5 cartridges plus one in the chamber for a semi automatic firearm.

Our law sucks the anus of a dead donkey.  Stay home and deny NY your cash.   sorry but that's my honest feeling.  Otherwise come with a more traditional rifle that won't get you a free rectal exam.  (note I have no problems, philosophically,  with people hunting with an AR)
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That rifle is clearly non-compliant...getting a little suspicious about this topic....almost like a reporter trying to set us up.

As they say NO means NO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As they say NO means NO.

I guess you haven't read all the posts.  I am not aa reporter just trying to figure out the crazy law seeing that I do not live in that state.  I also got conflicting answers from the departments that I called such as the state police (refereed to them by DEC), DEC and spoke to a wildlife game officer whose name i took down at the time thinking that if i had a problem I can refer anyone to him.  Reading further and speaking with people on this forum, I realized that the whole situation and law is  a*sbackwards and no clear answer can be obtained.  I KNOW that my rifle is not compliant and will not be hunting with it this year but other questions regarding their site and interactive tool made me ask other questions related to the topic.  I hope that your suspensions are now settled and if they are not i suggest sitting back with a cup of tea and relaxing.  Thanks for the help everyone, if you were calm and collected with your answer, that was even more helpful.  Coming on to ask a question and be bombarded by people who are very curt and standoffish makes me feel as if asking questions on this site is a negative thing.  Hoping it is not that way!
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 11:46:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I guess you haven't read all the posts.  I am not aa reporter just trying to figure out the crazy law seeing that I do not live in that state.  I also got conflicting answers from the departments that I called such as the state police (refereed to them by DEC), DEC and spoke to a wildlife game officer whose name i took down at the time thinking that if i had a problem I can refer anyone to him.  Reading further and speaking with people on this forum, I realized that the whole situation and law is  a*sbackwards and no clear answer can be obtained.  I KNOW that my rifle is not compliant and will not be hunting with it this year but other questions regarding their site and interactive tool made me ask other questions related to the topic.  I hope that your suspensions are now settled and if they are not i suggest sitting back with a cup of tea and relaxing.  Thanks for the help everyone, if you were calm and collected with your answer, that was even more helpful.  Coming on to ask a question and be bombarded by people who are very curt and standoffish makes me feel as if asking questions on this site is a negative thing.  Hoping it is not that way!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As they say NO means NO.

I don't understand why people discourage anyone from bringing "ARs" into the state. We should be promoting their use so the masses see more of them and how common and un-scarry they are.

OP, Just get yourself a dedicated lower and permanently attach the magazine. The law states "detachable" magazine = AW...therefore, no detachable mag, no AW. That's what I'm doing this year for my 6.8 SPC. Now I can finally put a collapsible stock back on it so it fits me better when wearing multiple layers of clothing over the A2 stock that I had to have before to make it "NY Compliant."

Also to be able to hunt with it, the mag has to be a five rounder.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#37]
You can't hunt with an AR in your home state. So you want to try hunting in NY with the most restrictive laws in the country?
There is also a lot of zones that only allow shotguns. What zone would you be hunting in?
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You can't hunt with an AR in your home state. So you want to try hunting in NY with the most restrictive laws in the country?
There is also a lot of zones that only allow shotguns. What zone would you be hunting in?
View Quote

He should be hunting for the paragraph-key.

Cause we were getting into the Wall-of-text zone....just sayin

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:04:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Fuck Cuomo, and fuck every last motherfucking cunt hole who had anything to do with the UnSafe Act passing.  May every last one of them see their world self destruct around them, while being helpless to stop it.  

This is the curse that I place upon them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top