Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/9/2015 8:05:35 PM EDT
Test yourself. Test your gear. Have FUN.

Saturday April 11, 2015 will be the next Battle Road USA Zombie Destruction Biathalon.

Battle Road USA Zombie Destruction Biathalon

The April 2015 course of fire will still be similar to the prior events but will have some new twists and challenges.

This is a biathalon – not a 3 gun event. Shooters have to carry/hump their pistol, rifle, ammo, all the gear and water they intend to use during the course.

The terrain is varied – dry (hopefully) creek beds, obstacles, hills that make you suck wind are all part of the experience.

The course is at least 4 miles long. Shooters may run or walk when participating - you choose the pace you want. Shooters use both pistol (carried loaded) and rifle (only loaded when actually shooting on a rifle stage).

Scores are based on combined run time and shooting scores – with faster run times and faster completion of shooting drills resulting in higher overall scores.

Here are archived threads from the prior Zombie Destruction events. Participants that chimed in after the event seemed like they had a good and safe time.

February 2013 Archived Zombie Destruction Thread

October 2013 Archived Zombie Destruction Thread

April 2014 Archived Zombie Destruction Thread

October 2014 Archived Zombie Destruction Thread

Hope to see you there!

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in!  I have been to most of these since they started having them, and they never disappoint.  Mark and Michael put a ton of work into setting this thing up, and it gets better every time.

Plus, getting ready for this will help me shed my "winter insulation" for spring time!
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been to three of them and took my daughter on the last two, she had a blast and can't wait till the 11th!
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I am looking forward to attending.  I had a blast last fall.  It was a very good experience.  I suprised myself in how well I did place wise.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:20:21 AM EDT
[#4]
In for this one.  Really looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 7:46:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those that have done this....How physically demanding is it? I ask because I blew my right knee out last year and had surgery over the summer, having a really tough time recovering. I can walk and speed walk but can't really climb, jump, jog or run yet. I can get into prone and kneeling positions but really slowly.
View Quote

I did the one last fall 30 days after having surgery and being bed ridden for a full week. Wasn't that bad. It is as demanding as you make it. You can skip the obstacles by simply walking around them, you can walk at your own pace or run as you please. Terrain in a couple places requires stepping over logs, trees, and up and down creek beds. For getting in and out of creek beds, it is not an issue if dry. If it is muddy you can grab trees for support in most places, and it isn't very steep or deep. Just 3-4 feet mostly and it is only a small part of the course. The rest was mainly going through some fields on a well traveled path. As far as walking around obstacles, you literally just walk around them, you don't have to go out of your way to do so.

Just don't overload yourself. Ammo, guns, water should be all you need. Get a friend to go with you if need be for support. There were plenty of people that walked and didn't do the major obstacles, nobody will give you any shit about it.

For shooting stations, the pistol is almost all standing. The rifle stations will require some kneeling and laying down for a couple targets. I can think of one that requires you to fit yourself into a pretty large container and shoot through a hole in it from the kneeling position. If your knee can't handle it you can always skip that one station.

Edit: I have a lot of video of me walking through the terrain, like an hours worth. If you are worried about it, let me know and I'll post what I've got of the terrain and stations. Just gotta ignore my very retarded comments and me talking to myself.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like a great time! Wished I had known about it sooner to give me a little longer to prepare and get in better shape, but I plan on giving it a shot.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thank you, excellent info to make a decision off of. I'll most likely go and bring the wife and brother.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Those that have done this....How physically demanding is it? I ask because I blew my right knee out last year and had surgery over the summer, having a really tough time recovering. I can walk and speed walk but can't really climb, jump, jog or run yet. I can get into prone and kneeling positions but really slowly.

I did the one last fall 30 days after having surgery and being bed ridden for a full week. Wasn't that bad. It is as demanding as you make it. You can skip the obstacles by simply walking around them, you can walk at your own pace or run as you please. Terrain in a couple places requires stepping over logs, trees, and up and down creek beds. For getting in and out of creek beds, it is not an issue if dry. If it is muddy you can grab trees for support in most places, and it isn't very steep or deep. Just 3-4 feet mostly and it is only a small part of the course. The rest was mainly going through some fields on a well traveled path. As far as walking around obstacles, you literally just walk around them, you don't have to go out of your way to do so.

Just don't overload yourself. Ammo, guns, water should be all you need. Get a friend to go with you if need be for support. There were plenty of people that walked and didn't do the major obstacles, nobody will give you any shit about it.

For shooting stations, the pistol is almost all standing. The rifle stations will require some kneeling and laying down for a couple targets. I can think of one that requires you to fit yourself into a pretty large container and shoot through a hole in it from the kneeling position. If your knee can't handle it you can always skip that one station.

Edit: I have a lot of video of me walking through the terrain, like an hours worth. If you are worried about it, let me know and I'll post what I've got of the terrain and stations. Just gotta ignore my very retarded comments and me talking to myself.

Thank you, excellent info to make a decision off of. I'll most likely go and bring the wife and brother.

It is a lot of fun. I've been 3 times and really enjoyed it. Google found a fast forward video showing the whole course. Most difficult terrain is about 230, after that its pretty much flat, other than the man made obstacles.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I made it to the first two and had a blast, need to try and make it to the next one.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 10:56:41 PM EDT
[#11]
thomasplaster, it,ll be good to see you again. the wife and I will be backed in right next to you again. the rain has fun but hoping for better weather this trip.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Fatty, fatty two by four, can't fit through the kitchen door ...I'll be there
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 9:09:19 AM EDT
[#13]
It'll be good to see you there txpopgun. I don't think Scout has used the truck for target practice - yet.

spitstickler - what is this fatty stuff? Didn't you win 3rd place at the last event by being a badass on Stage 5?

tex7488 - Thanks for posting that vid - I remember that shooter with the gopro but never found the vid before. I think he won first place at that event.

soowah - tex7488's advice is spot on. They try to keep the event challenging but at the same time friendly to different level shooters and "runners".
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Are SBR's and suppressors allowed? all have stamps and no fa
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:42:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are SBR's and suppressors allowed? all have stamps and no fa
View Quote

Bring.

It.

On.

In other words - YES.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Thank you
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It is a lot of fun. I've been 3 times and really enjoyed it. Google found a fast forward video showing the whole course. Most difficult terrain is about 230, after that its pretty much flat, other than the man made obstacles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ2ZVIClOQA
View Quote

Did you win? I was thinking of how I would run one of these courses and I would of ran it probably as fast as you have in your video.
Nice shooting.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Not my video. First one that popped on google search.

I normally run the fields and fast walk the forest sections.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#19]
...let's just say there's more of me now than there was in October.  

I've cut some of it back off, but I've still got a long way to go.
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 8:53:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Already registered and looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#21]
What time does the show start Saturday morning? Contemplating just just getting up early and driving in.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What time does the show start Saturday morning? Contemplating just just getting up early and driving in.
View Quote

I'll get you an answer very soon.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

The powers that be, say around 8 or 8:30 am , depending how many late arrivals there are for the Pre-start meeting. RO,s meeting is usually  7am if my oldtimers hasn't kicked in.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 10:43:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
 The powers that be, say around 8 or 8:30 am , depending how many late arrivals there are for the Pre-start meeting. RO,s meeting is usually  7am if my oldtimers hasn't kicked in.
View Quote

Prestart meeting is 8 - 830, or the run starts then?
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Verified with Mark Martinez that the official start time is 8:30AM on Saturday. The prestart meeting is at that time.

Participants are qued after that - typically they depart in 15 minute intervals. Event staff assigns the departure time. You may have time to cook breakfast or you may depart immediately. It is done that way to minimize wait times at the various stations. Be sure to have some type of stopwatch in the event you have to wait your turn at a station.

NEW START TIME 7:00 AM ON SATURDAY. SAFETY BRIEFING STARTS THEN.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I recommend getting a cheap stopwatch.  I tried using my phone and it kept changing modes on me.  Academy has cheap Chinese made ones for $8.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Verified with Mark Martinez that the official start time is 8:30AM on Saturday. The prestart meeting is at that time.

View Quote

Great thank.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Is there an updated course of fire, or will it be the same as last time? Just curious if I'm gonna need a magazine with only 3 rounds loaded again.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:32:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Just watched the video, just 4 miles? It looked like a damn long way.

So if you just walk, at least 2 hours of walking plus shoot time?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#30]
tex7488 - I will find out.

I know Scout and Mark always plans to change the course some, but sometimes the plans don't manifest.

Quoted:
Just watched the video, just 4 miles? It looked like a damn long way.

So if you just walk, at least 2 hours of walking plus shoot time?
View Quote

At the last event I think it measured 4.38 miles.

I'm no runner and my walk/hobble/drag times are usually just under 3 hours depending on the heat.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Is there an updated course of fire, or will it be the same as last time? Just curious if I'm gonna need a magazine with only 3 rounds loaded again.

Thanks!
View Quote

COF for Battle Road USA Zombie Destruction Biathalon April 11, 2015

Course of Fire is pretty much the same as the prior event.

Round count is 78 rifle rounds and 63 pistol rounds minimum to complete each stage.

You would still need your 1 rifle mag with only 3 rounds to begin with at Stage 1.

I suggest you not use your match grade ammo on Stage 7.

There is a new and interesting obstacle - a zip line over a pond! The zip line is near Stage 3.

Mark sent me video of him zipping across - I'd embed it here if I knew how. He said it was posted on the BRUSA Facebook page and has more than 1500 views. Mark said the pond was 4 feet deep when the vid was filmed not long ago.

With the recent rain and more rain forecast the pond may get deeper, so there is a team of RO lifeguards that have been assigned there at the pond just to function as lifeguards - just in case.

Mark clarified that the RO lifeguards are there to get people out of the pond if they fall in, but not equipment. If equipment is lost in the pond any equipment recovery effort must take place after the event is over and organized by the equipment owner.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Round count is 78 rifle rounds and 63 pistol rounds minimum to complete each stage.

You would still need your 1 rifle mag with only 3 rounds to begin with at Stage 1.

There is a new and interesting obstacle - a zip line over a pond! The zip line is near Stage 3.

Mark sent me video of him zipping across - I'd embed it here if I knew how. He said it was posted on the BRUSA Facebook page and has more than 1500 views. Mark said the pond was 4 feet deep when the vid was filmed not long ago.

With the recent rain and more rain forecast the pond may get deeper, so there is a team of RO lifeguards that have been assigned there at the pond just to function as lifeguards - just in case.

Mark clarified that the RO lifeguards are there to get people out of the pond if they fall in, but not equipment. If equipment is lost in the pond any equipment recovery effort must take place after the event is over and organized by the equipment owner.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Thank you for the update. I couldn't find that video but it sounds fun!
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:33:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Are there any training or other prerequisites?  We don't have formal shooting training, just periodic range trips to punch paper from a bench.  Also is there a minimum age for the biathlon?    Kiddo is a high-school senior.
-Jim
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#34]
At the end of the zip line how far of a drop is it? Is it a hard surface? The reason I ask is my buddy who runs it with me (3 times so far)  has very bad ankles and can not take the drop if there is one.

Thanks can't wait for the 11th!
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
At the end of the zip line how far of a drop is it? Is it a hard surface? The reason I ask is my buddy who runs it with me (3 times so far)  has very bad ankles and can not take the drop if there is one.

Thanks can't wait for the 11th!
View Quote

Not really a drop. Ground runs uphill at landing,
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Are there any training or other prerequisites?  We don't have formal shooting training, just periodic range trips to punch paper from a bench.  Also is there a minimum age for the biathlon?    Kiddo is a high-school senior.
-Jim
View Quote

We all start somewhere. 10 years ago almost all shooting I had done was off of a bench or in a deerstand. Don't let your experience level stop you from participating.

The primary prerequisite for shooters of all ages is that they are SAFE and are able and willing to follow Range Officer commands.

Basic firearm safey is mandatory - Always keeping the muzzle in a safe direction (even when unloaded) - things like that. They will have a safety briefing at 8:30AM Saturday.

Many participants have commented on how friendly and helpful the Range Officers at these BR events are. We volunteer ROs want you to be safe, have fun and LEARN about yourself. We ROs are not going to berate you or put you down if you don't have a lot of experience. You might even tell the RO when arriving at the station "I'm new at this" - it will help them help you.

If you are new to shooting or have limited practical shooting experience my personal recommendation would be to move through each stage slowly - just focus on completing the task as best you can and do not be concerned about the clock or score. Just work through the problem. If the clock stops on you it is not a big deal.

High school senior is welcome. If you look on the first page of this thread there is a girl wearing a tan hat shooting a bolt action over a green fence - I would guess she is around 12-13 years old. She did better than me on that particular stage shooting at a target 250 yards away.

If you have someone who wants to walk with you but not shoot that is OK as well. They would need hearing protection and have to sign the release form, etc. but they could walk/run along with you. I do not believe they would have to pay if not shooting.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the responses via IM and here.  My kiddos have been shooting off and on for a several years but we're still newbies as we only shoot 2-3 times/year and that time's split between clays, rifle and pistol at the local range which only runs out to 100 yards.

Will a red-dot keep things interesting enough for him?  I don't have a magnified optic.  The other rifle just has iron's with intentions to put a scope on it but that hasn't happened yet.  

Regarding holsters, I don't have any OWB/retention holsters.  Would something like a Safariland ALS 6378 work for this?

Thanks folks,
-Jim
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#38]
So I may just be dumb, but where in central Texas is this located?  I'm moving back in the fall, so hopefully I will make it to the one next spring.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Battle Road is located at:

SEE  BATTLEROADUSA.COM
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Is this only once a year? I can't make this one. Maybe next go around. It looks like fun.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Dammit!

Had this thing mentally bookmarked to make it this year and completely forgot.  Falls on anniversary weekend with the rib anyway so it's not an option, but it looks like it'll be a great time!
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:48:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
So I may just be dumb, but where in central Texas is this located?  I'm moving back in the fall, so hopefully I will make it to the one next spring.
View Quote

They don't do a great job of advertising their location.  It's in Buckholts, TX, NE of Austin by about 60 miles.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Is this only once a year? I can't make this one. Maybe next go around. It looks like fun.
View Quote

They had one last October, so maybe twice a year?  Last October is the first I'd heard of it (a few days after the event).
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#44]
holy crap!!!! that is only 20 minutes from my place and I never knew it was there. I have to check it out soon
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Got my ticket and can't wait till next Saturday, on the down side my side kick will not be going this time! She is working on scholarships for college her choice though.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Photo removed, please don't post pics with license plates readable. ~Soowah.  

This was myself and my daughter in Oct.
OK Sorry
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#48]
I'll be there again. Just hope it isn't blazing hot, rain I can handle.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Regarding holsters, I don't have any OWB/retention holsters.  Would something like a Safariland ALS 6378 work for this?

Thanks folks,

-Jim
View Quote

Yes. The Safariland ALS is what I use.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Sadly I can't make it to this one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top