Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The images look pretty good for 2/3 the price of the IRD units.  If it performs without "bugs" I am sure it will be a hit.

Can you comment more on the eye piece?  I have looked through a Flir PS32 and was unimpressed in the size / screen display.  I have a PVS14 and that looks great.

Is this similar to looking through the PS32 or better?  Is it larger than the PS32 screen which seemed very small?

Have you looked through the old style Atn Thor units?  If so, how did the image compare?

Thanks,

Ryan
View Quote

Better than a PS32.  Not as good as the old ThORs.

The screen they are using is a higher resolution than the ThOR but it appears it is a physically smaller screen that is magnified with the occular optics.  So the screen looks plenty big, and the pixel density is seems really good (you don't notice individual pixels, nor do you notice dead space between pixels).  The problem is that there is no place that you can put your eye that makes the whole thing feel like it is in good focus.  In fact, you can't ever see the whole thing without putting your eye a little too close and risking a banged up eye.  It also causes a little chromatic distortion on the edges of the screen.  You get fairly used to it since there isn't anything out on the edges that you care about.

It isn't a deal breaker, but it certainly could have been done better.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

The screen they are using is a higher resolution than the ThOR but it appears it is a physically smaller screen that is magnified with the occular optics.  So the screen looks plenty big, and the pixel density is seems really good (you don't notice individual pixels, nor do you notice dead space between pixels).  The problem is that there is no place that you can put your eye that makes the whole thing feel like it is in good focus.  In fact, you can't ever see the whole thing without putting your eye a little too close and risking a banged up eye.  It also causes a little chromatic distortion on the edges of the screen.  You get fairly used to it since there isn't anything out on the edges that you care about.
View Quote

Sounds exactly like the X-Sight. I can't stand looking through it since at least part of the screen always seems like its out of focus.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Sounds exactly like the X-Sight. I can't stand looking through it since at least part of the screen always seems like its out of focus.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My understanding is that it uses the same ocular setup as the X-Sight II's which were a resolution improvement over the X-Sight I's.

I hated it at first, but have pretty much gotten used to it now.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#4]
how does the rangefinder work?

Do you have to "enter"  the size of the object you are ranging?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 6:25:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Given a known target height, you point the scope at the top and the bottom of the target and it returns the range.  It also has some ballistics calculators in there that will correct for wind and stuff at the given range.

The range finder does work, but the accuracy is limited by how well you can guess the target height.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Some videos and screen shots are starting to show up on the 1.25x and 4.5x 384 units on the FB page. So far I am impressed with what is being posted for the price point.

Bushman has posted from 640 unit images over there and they look good as well.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's a sample video of a coyote I missed.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3552650/Thermal/ATNX0026.MOV

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Here is a post on the Texas Hunting Forum that is a little troubling.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6279400/2
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:08:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I am going to try and take mine out this weekend, but after messing around with it I think I am going to miss every follow up shot with it.   You can tell the image is trying to catch up with the scope.  So far I think you have to manually calibrate the scope with the cap and to do everything except zoom in and out you have to go through the menu.  I will see how it performs this weekend but I wish the display was a little bigger and I have to keep clearing the scope because a horizontal line keeps popping up on the display.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:18:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Are these units made in China?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I heard the sensor is made in China.  Not 100% sure.  I will try and record some this weekend if I can get the line off the display.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:00:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I heard the sensor is made in China.  Not 100% sure.  I will try and record some this weekend if I can get the line off the display.
View Quote

Who did you hear that from? Our competitors?

The sensor is NOT made in China. The sensor is made in France by Ulis
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Are these units made in China?
View Quote

Nope. There is no one classification for it. As the parts are made all over the world - America / Europe / Asia

All scopes are assembled in USA
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 5:26:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Edit, nevermind. That's video from an older Thor

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:29:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Found out from Sachal that the 2-8 is still a couple months out so I ordered the 1.25-5 yesterday to satisfy my curiosity. Hope to have it by the first of the week and will post a review as quick as I can.

I have seen one post on the ATN facebook group about a unit being DOA right out of the box, and one other post showing some pretty impressive photos for the price point and it being a 384 core.

I will also say that after having an online presence for 20 years on various boards I got booted from my first group - the ATN owners page on FB. That page is HIGHLY censored and an unbelievable number of post are removed every hour. Don't dare say ANYTHING remotely negative about ATN or their deceptive advertising practices or you will be booted...even when its proven to be true many time over

And FYI: Even though the 1.25-5 unit shows to be shipped with an ARMS #17 QD mount (on ATN's website and every other website selling the unit), it doesn't come with it. Only comes with the cheap two bolt mount that is not a return to zero mount.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#17]
That mount is a $90-$100 part!  I don't think you can call that an oversight, and if it truely is, ATN should be falling over themselves trying to correct the error.

The only place I can find a picture of the sight without that base is in the PDF Owners Manual.

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:08:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That mount is a $90-$100 part!  I don't think you can call that an oversight, and if it truely is, ATN should be falling over themselves trying to correct the error.

The only place I can find a picture of the sight without that base is in the PDF Owners Manual.

View Quote

Your 100% correct. Instead they are just getting everyone to change the photos on their website

Before I got booted from the group I posted a link to ebay for some surplus ARMS 17 mounts for $24 shipped (not china/airsoft junk).
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link no workie for me. What was the issue?

working now
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

working now
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

working now

Looks like his unit died after first use.

Sachal got to him and is fixing him up.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 11:38:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

working now
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

working now

Not working at the moment.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 7:03:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

working now

I ended up copying the link and it worked. Short version of the issue - Pretty much the thorHD was DOA. Out of the three 1.25-5 scopes that I have heard about getting into the buyers hands.........2 were DOA

I ordered one (even knowing ATN's reputation in the industry) and it should be here Tuesday. At this point I am not sure I have high hopes for it or not....
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I ended up copying the link and it worked. Short version of the issue - Pretty much the thorHD was DOA. Out of the three 1.25-5 scopes that I have heard about getting into the buyers hands.........2 were DOA

I ordered one (even knowing ATN's reputation in the industry) and it should be here Tuesday. At this point I am not sure I have high hopes for it or not....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

working now

Yeah, Sportsmans Guide has them in stock for $1999. I`m really tempted, but I`m already waiting on a FLIR Scout TK.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Sorry about that link to the Texas Hunting Forum folks.  I need to go back to posting school. ??

The ATN web sight seems to have replaced the pictures of the 384 1.25-5x with new ones that do not include the quick mount, but all other models still show the quick mount.

I can see some software glitches with the fancy Balistics features, but after the X-Sight mess, I was assuming ATN would have the reliability and basic functions down solid before they shipped the first unit.  I was wanting a 640, but was waiting for user reviews and videos to see if I might be willing settle for a 384, since I could get it faster.  The early news from those getting the 384s is making me shy away from getting either.  I'll give it another week or so to see if better news starts coming in from folks.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Sorry about that link to the Texas Hunting Forum folks.  I need to go back to posting school. ??

The ATN web sight seems to have replaced the pictures of the 384 1.25-5x with new ones that do not include the quick mount, but all other models still show the quick mount.

I can see some software glitches with the fancy Balistics features, but after the X-Sight mess, I was assuming ATN would have the reliability and basic functions down solid before they shipped the first unit.  I was wanting a 640, but was waiting for user reviews and videos to see if I might be willing settle for a 384, since I could get it faster.  The early news from those getting the 384s is making me shy away from getting either.  I'll give it another week or so to see if better news starts coming in from folks.
View Quote

But your NOT encouraged by the posts BushmanLA has made from his ThOR 640?

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 1:39:20 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

working now

I suspect you are seeing what you want to see. I know of over a dozen folks who have 384 units with which they have had zero problems.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:25:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I suspect you are seeing what you want to see. I know of over a dozen folks who have 384 units with which they have had zero problems.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

working now

Who/where are they? I would love to talk to them. Mine will be here Tuesday and I would like to know if there are any qwerks/tips/tricks on these units.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:33:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

working now

Well, I don't "know" anyone that personally has a production 384 in thier hands.  I also have not seen posts from a dozen different individuals that have a production unit. What I have read so far in the Internet is not overly positive, but I'm not writing ATN off... I'm giving it a little more time before I make a decision...and that is tough right now, because the bonus check has been deposited in the bank and I'm ready to place an order with someone.

Bushman' video on the 640 is pretty positive (but not entirely... A lot of Dead pixels early on is not a great sign), but I am still under the impression that it is a Beta unit, and thatshipping is still several months out.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Duplicate post
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Duplicate post
View Quote

Dead pixels are nothing new with thermal sensors. Even Flir Tau2 sensors used to have dead pixels but one way you remove dead pixels is by mirroring the pixel next to it. If you talk to any thermal engineer they will tell you the same thing.

Now good thing about our thermal is that ATN is investing a lot of resources into post video processing, in fact in the next couple of days, we are releasing a new firmware for the thermal that would further improve the image quality.

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:33:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Dead pixels are nothing new with thermal sensors. Even Flir Tau2 sensors used to have dead pixels but one way you remove dead pixels is by mirroring the pixel next to it. If you talk to any thermal engineer they will tell you the same thing.

Now good thing about our thermal is that ATN is investing a lot of resources into post video processing, in fact in the next couple of days, we are releasing a new firmware for the thermal that would further improve the image quality.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Duplicate post

do these come with QD mounts?
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 1:35:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 5:10:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The DLOC-ThOR mount will fit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Duplicate post

do these come with QD mounts?
The DLOC-ThOR mount will fit.

Most of the adds say QD mount and show a pic of an arms mount. Is that not what they are shipping with? That's another $150 for something it's suppose to already have..  After my 1st Thor messed up I swore off ATN but I thought I'd give them another chance now I'm already wondering if I made the right decision.

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#34]
All of the thors come with qd mounts except the lowest end model I think.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

All of the thors come with qd mounts except the lowest end model I think.
View Quote

Correct, the $ 1,995 ThOR 384 HD 1.25-5X is the only model without the QD

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#36]

One of the gentlemen on the ATN Smart HD group gave me permission to share some pics from his hunt two days ago with his new ThOR 384 HD 1.25-5X

The pig was approximately 120 yards away in the first picture - both pics were taken at 1.25X magnification

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for posting those Barliman.  Hopefully some more pics and videos will come along soon.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Having seen footage and pics I'm wondering why isn't the static error / "ghost image" / lines removed, it should be fairly easy to detect in software when something is always above or below average as everything else is changing. Even if that pattern changes over time, should not make it any different. Would just make the image look so much clearer.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Reading the above am I right to assume the 384/640 25mm and 50mm lens THOR HD scopes will ship with Arms QR mount? This is a huge for me I don't like cheap mounts and if they come with cheap mounts do the holes line up with the old THOR's so we can change to a better mount?
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Thanks for posting those Barliman.  Hopefully some more pics and videos will come along soon.
View Quote

The guy who provided these pics is going to post a video as well.

One of the ThOR 384 recipient's just finished up a period of 7day/12hour weeks and will finally be able to shoot. He's not complaining - all the OT is how he was able to swing the ThOR.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Having seen footage and pics I'm wondering why isn't the static error / "ghost image" / lines removed, it should be fairly easy to detect in software when something is always above or below average as everything else is changing. Even if that pattern changes over time, should not make it any different. Would just make the image look so much clearer.
View Quote

Not sure either.  I suspect their software guys are still learning.

ATN has a lot of catching up to do.  FLIR has the auto gain algorithms down pretty well, BAE has it down too.  

Right now you only get whitehot/blackhot and there are no contrast/gain adjustments available.  I suspect that is changing soon.  I saw someone mention a new firmware is right around the corner to improve the image.

If you are buying an ATN ThOR HD right now, consider yourself an early adopter. It isn't a buggy mess like the first gen x sights but it is a little rough around the edges.  There are only two major bugs I know of.  The unit has a noise NUC on startup so all you see is white fuz on screen until you NUC.  The sleep function is a little wonky too.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

ATN has a lot of catching up to do.  FLIR has the auto gain algorithms down pretty well, BAE has it down too.  

Right now you only get whitehot/blackhot and there are no contrast/gain adjustments available.  I suspect that is changing soon.  I saw someone mention a new firmware is right around the corner to improve the image.

If you are buying an ATN ThOR HD right now, consider yourself an early adopter. It isn't a buggy mess like the first gen x sights but it is a little rough around the edges.  There are only two major bugs I know of.  The unit has a noise NUC on startup so all you see is white fuz on screen until you NUC.  The sleep function is a little wonky too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The BIG factor in the catch-up effort is ATN has to start from scratch on all the image processing algorithms and coding that occurs downstream from their sensor - and none of it can even accidentally trespass on what FLIR or BAE has done or they'll be tied up in a lawsuit. Their competitors have a 20+ year head start in the race.

The "sleep" function  will cause the unit to lock up - so for now they are telling people to turn it off till they get it fixed.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 6:01:35 PM EDT
[#44]
"Texas JAGD
ATN ThOR HD 640 2.5x - First brief test during daytime. Roughly 75F and 80% humidity outside. My dane is about 5 yards away from me."

ThOR HD 640
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
One of the ThOR 384 recipient's just finished up a period of 7day/12hour weeks and will finally be able to shoot. He's not complaining - all the OT is how he was able to swing the ThOR.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Video posted on YouTube by the guy whose pictures I posted above

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Any update on the units that shipped out? I've not see any video posted anywhere.
View Quote

Stay tuned...I'll have video posted tonight.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 6:14:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Delete double post.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Got my 1.25-5 yesterday. Quick clip in the back yard in daylight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KdG-QOCZ0A

This video was shot in the first minute of operation so I am still working on the focus and settings. Overall I am happy, but will upgrade to the 2x or 4.5x when available.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:29:34 AM EDT
[#49]
Video as promised.

I was not sure of the horizontal white line that ran across the ATN's display? Dead pixels or a F/W issue?

Video
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Video as promised.

I was not sure of the horizontal white line that ran across the ATN's display? Dead pixels or a F/W issue?

Video
View Quote

Nice!
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top