Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/14/2016 4:31:28 PM EDT

Just posted on the closed FB page

• ThOR HD units (specifically 384 models) could ship as early as this Friday (4/15). After much beta testing, they finally have a stable firmware. Still some firmware-related issues with the more expensive 640 units.

• The BinoX THD and OTS HD are still planned to ship this summer.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#1]
So hopefully we will have some hands on reviews next week of the 384's!!! Im lookin at the 2-8x model.

Thnx for the update!
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So hopefully we will have some hands on reviews next week of the 384's!!! Im lookin at the 2-8x model.

Thnx for the update!
View Quote
The first reviews will be posted on the FB page. I'll cross post them here as they show up.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll say this.

Onboard recording and image capture IS THE BOMB.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:32:31 PM EDT
[#4]
If the new cores look and perform well these will be a market changer at their price range. I like the fact ATN threw every feature they had into these all at one low price.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 10:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

If the new cores look and perform well these will be a market changer at their price range. I like the fact ATN threw every feature they had into these all at one low price.
View Quote

There have been a lot of folks posting questions, problems, thoughts, etc on the FB closed group about the Gen II X-sights for the last three months. They had a TON of those units out in long time users hands for beta testing and no one was under any sort of NDA. Most of the problems with the Gen II were the same user problems that have been occurring on the Gen I units.

No one said a word about having a ThOR HD though ... until the last couple of weeks when a few comments have been made and a few problems were discussed. There were even a few bright souls who loaded ThOR HD firmware onto the Gen I X-Sights.

This evening there have been number of people posting pictures or talking about getting shipping numbers for the ThOR HD - so for anyone who pre-ordered from ATN, their unit is most likely on their way to them.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 5:18:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Will these have OLED displays or LCD. I can't find the answer on the ATN website.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:43:53 AM EDT
[#7]
So has there been any end user video posted from one of these 384 units yet?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Will these have OLED displays or LCD. I can't find the answer on the ATN website.
View Quote

The ones I looked at at SHOT used the same eye piece as the X-Sight II's as best I could tell.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Not yet, there is a ThOR HD 384 19mm video on the FB page which was posted this AM - but it is just one of the ATN guys doing range testing so it's not worth trying to cross post the Flash video over here.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Not yet, there is a ThOR HD 384 19mm video on the FB page which was posted this AM - but it is just one of the ATN guys doing range testing so it's not worth trying to cross post the Flash video over here.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:34:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm just waiting for updates that they've actually started shipping and people are receiving them, then I'll buy one. I'd like to be able to receive it before my next hog hunt. If that's not reasonable then I'll probably end up renting a thermal first.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm just waiting for updates that they've actually started shipping and people are receiving them, then I'll buy one. I'd like to be able to receive it before my next hog hunt. If that's not reasonable then I'll probably end up renting a thermal first.
View Quote

The ThOR HD 384 units started shipping yesterday. Here's a video of deer - the near ones are about 70 yards away, the ones in the background out beyond the tree line are roughly 300 yards away - this was made by one of the ATN folks just recently, the date is the default date when you firtst turn on the scope.

Direct link to ATN Dropbox

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:16:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Are these 17 micron cores?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
There have been a lot of folks posting questions, problems, thoughts, etc on the FB closed group about the Gen II X-sights for the last three months. They had a TON of those units out in long time users hands for beta testing and no one was under any sort of NDA. Most of the problems with the Gen II were the same user problems that have been occurring on the Gen I units.
No one said a word about having a ThOR HD though ... until the last couple of weeks when a few comments have been made and a few problems were discussed. There were even a few bright souls who loaded ThOR HD firmware onto the Gen I X-Sights.
This evening there have been number of people posting pictures or talking about getting shipping numbers for the ThOR HD - so for anyone who pre-ordered from ATN, their unit is most likely on their way to them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Loading THOR firmware on an X-Sight.....WHAT!??!!?!? I don't get it......why would you do that?

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Loading THOR firmware on an X-Sight.....WHAT!??!!?!? I don't get it......why would you do that?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, you pretty much captured the essence of the conversations that have occurred on this topic ... and more than once.

The bad news - there are a lot of people who do things they find hard to explain WHY they did them when others are walking them through the problems they are observing.

The GOOD news - the folks participating on closed FB page display amazing amounts of patience walking people through to a clear understanding of what they are seeing and how to fix it.

One of the actual solutions for people trying to load the Gen II firmware on their Gen I scopes - "run a cable from the HDMI out port to a HD TV so you can back out the firmware upgrade you just did - but shouldn't have"

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#16]
name of the closed group?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

name of the closed group?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

ATN Smart HD Owners

There is a place at top just below and to the right of the binoz picture where anyone can ask to join. Unless you turn out to be a troll, most everyone is fine with non-owners asking questions - but the easiest way to learn is just sit back and watch the new owners ask the basic questions.

ETA: You are going to have to have a valid FB account to join.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The ThOR HD 384 units started shipping yesterday. Here's a video of deer - the near ones are about 70 yards away, the ones in the background out beyond the tree line are roughly 300 yards away - this was made by one of the ATN folks just recently, the date is the default date when you firtst turn on the scope.

<a href="http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc516/Barliman/ATNX0055_zpsx6bbzffe.mp4" target="_blank">http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc516/Barliman/th_ATNX0055_zpsx6bbzffe.mp4</a>

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h706vzwjr6gobbv/ATNX0055.MOV?dl=0

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc516/Barliman/ATNX0055_zpsx6bbzffe.mp4" target="_blank">http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc516/Barliman/th_ATNX0055_zpsx6bbzffe.mp4</a>

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h706vzwjr6gobbv/ATNX0055.MOV?dl=0

What model is that? Looks like maybe the 1.25x or maybe 2x
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:52:44 PM EDT
[#19]
If you have some specific pics you want to see, let me know and I'll try and get them this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:17:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you have some specific pics you want to see, let me know and I'll try and get them this weekend.
View Quote

What model do you have? I would love to see a human/pig/deer (anything really) at 25, 50, 100, 150, 200, ect. at the native optical zoom and then with digital zoom. Would love to know your overall impressions of the unit compared to other units you have used.

I know thats a lot to ask for and ATN should be putting those photos out, not the end user - but I trust the end users more than the marketing dept at ATN
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:49:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Let me make sure I'm not breaking any NDA rules and I'll give you the down load.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd love to get some pics as well as I'm about to place an order.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Let me make sure I'm not breaking any NDA rules and I'll give you the down load.

View Quote

You the man! Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:18:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Interesting video doing a split screen, real time comparison of the Gen I vs Gen II X-Sight

hBcLmpwOQR0

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:58:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Any update on the units that shipped out? I've not see any video posted anywhere.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#26]
No public video that I know of yet other than a short vid of a 384 model shooting stuff at the range.

There are a few screenshots from a beta model on the facebook page and while they look good they are already outdated in terms of firmware.  As soon as I get permission I'll post some stuff.  Sorry guys.

Here's a dead pig to make you feel better.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Any update on the units that shipped out? I've not see any video posted anywhere.
View Quote

As I suggested up thread, ask to join the FB group.

I'll guarantee that's the quickest possible source for any of the Gen II videos.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:07:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I just ordered the 4.5x model. Was told two weeks until my dealer gets them. Anyone get theirs yet?
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:40:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'll guarantee that's the quickest possible source for any of the Gen II videos.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am a member over there, not much (if any) info on the Thor HD thermals. Not interested in the xsight, but there is a ton of good info out on it over there.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Was curious on the atn Thor , HD 1.5 x 5 384x288?  I am seeing them listed at 1,999.00 and would like any thoughts on this product.  I am new to the night setups and I live in Oklahoma which just passed the hunt hogs anytime without any special rules.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#31]
New product we are all still waiting to see how the THOR HD's will perform. I saw where the Oklahoma bill was pending it still has to be signed into law plus any last minute changes. I thought I read where hunting at night will be closed during deer season Oct 1 to Jan 15 etc etc. Anyway it's a step in the right direction to control the ever growing numbers of feral swine. Nov 1 it would go in affect and that means Jan 16th 2017 you could start killing feral swine with your thermal scope.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:50:50 PM EDT
[#32]
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7ODkAqcS4us&feature=youtu.be

384 HD 4.5x at 200 yards from the FB page posted by Phil Willis
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I just ordered the 4.5x model. Was told two weeks until my dealer gets them. Anyone get theirs yet?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Is there a list of dealers anywhere? I looked on their website (ATN's) and even emailed them, with no response............

Quoted:

The recoil seems to have a big effect on the video quality...... Is that normal?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:22:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Good catch on the video quality, I missed that when I watched it.

And does that seem like 200 yds?  Steel rings awful loud and soon (even though the .308 sounds suppressed).
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Dealers all over. Use google and send them an email. I agree the ringing sounds too soon for 200 yards but that recoil seems too light for a .308. Seems like a 6.5 which might make sense if shooting light bullets at 2900 fps with 123's
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Google doesnt bring up any dealers in texas. Only one i know of is reds in austin and they dont carry any thermal, just NV.

as stated previously, i emailed ATN with no response.

Google DID bring this up......its a link to another forum, if this is a no-no then mods let me know and ill delete the linky.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6279400/Thor_HD_Thermal_Just_Arrived
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Is there a list of dealers anywhere? I looked on their website (ATN's) and even emailed them, with no response............
The recoil seems to have a big effect on the video quality...... Is that normal?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not seeing what you are seeing.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#38]
If you look at the screen there is a quick flash of white after the shot almost like muzzle flash I think is what he is referring to.  The FB poster said he was on 10x magnification, which must mean he was 4.5x by 2x digital zoom.  Hence the blurry image of 384 at 2x digital zoom.

I agree on the recoil but maybe he is sandbagged in?
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#39]
The screen had lines in it for 2 of the shots....like when youd smack an old tube TV real hard on the side.........
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

The screen had lines in it for 2 of the shots....like when youd smack an old tube TV real hard on the side.........
View Quote

You talking about the stuff you see during recoil for about half a second?

Yes.  This is "normal" for all the thermals I've used.  There is a brief moment of freakout every time you shoot.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yes.  This is "normal" for all the thermals I've used.  There is a brief moment of freakout every time you shoot.
View Quote

Yes I am.

Ahh, ok. Was curious, I've never used one before. Should I buy one, it will be my first...which is why I'm asking so many questions  
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#42]
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMygcwJg1kY

Another post by the same guy on the FB page.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Yes I am.
Ahh, ok. Was curious, I've never used one before. Should I buy one, it will be my first...which is why I'm asking so many questions  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes I am.

Well here's what I can say that is already public info etc.  There is at least one ThorHD 384 in the wild as well.

1. The price is lower than any other thermal line with similar specs.  Compared to the IR Hunter II, we are talking about $1500 cheaper.  That isn't chump change.

This is because ATN ditched FLIR and BAE and made their own core based on a ULIS detector.  

2. FLIR and BAE have been in this game for a long time and they are good at it.  ATN has a lot of catching up to do. That being said, the thermal quality is decent. Not as nice as an IR hunter in my opinion (which I feel has the best picture these days).  

3. Being able to use AA batteries is nice. Having a standard USB plug for external batteries is really nice.  No special cables to buy if you want external power.

4. Onboard recording and video capture is freaking awesome. No download cables, no external recorders, no vid quality loss in conversion.  Just shove an SD card in there and go.  The thing can even do burst capture and time lapse.  Way way cool.

5. The body isn't quite as sleek as others (again, IR defense has the most minimal body design in my opinion).

6. It has lots of cool gizmos and features that you may never use but are still cool.  Range finder, GPS, wifi, phone app that lets you stream video for others to see, etc. etc.

7. Reticles are OK. You have plenty to choose from but nothing special here.

8. Firmware is super easy to upgrade.  Download file, put on SD card, put in scope, update.  Done.  This means that just about everything can be improved/fixed/added.  I expect that the thermal image algorithms they use are going to improve greatly and various features will be added.  But they aren't there now.  You get black hot and white hot.

9. The user interface is nice, but it isn't fast.  Want to change color modes? Go into the menu.  Want to change screen brightness, menu.  What to do a NUC? Kinda sorta quick action menu.  They need some shortcut love.

10. The eye piece / occular setup is a step backwards. Its usable, and the screen resolution is great, but damn its just not comfortable and awesome like the old ThOR screens and the IR Hunter. Its my only real complaint about the unit.  It also means it doesn't accept standard PVS-14 eye cups.

11. Forgot one thing.  This unit has the ability to focus the thermal image. Many scopes out there do not have a manual focus and use software and maybe a better depth of field spec to get around it. Again an example is the IR hunter, things get fuzzy up close, no way around it. I prefer being able to focus manually.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Thank you Bushman!

I saw where someone had received their Thor HD 384, 1.25-5, but they have not posted any video yet.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Bushman,

Do you have the 384 or 640 core?  If you have the 384, have you ever looked through a Pulsar XD30A or 50A?  How does the picture/image compare to them?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Bushman,

Do you have the 384 or 640 core?  If you have the 384, have you ever looked through a Pulsar XD30A or 50A?  How does the picture/image compare to them?

Thanks

View Quote

I have a 640.

I have no experience with Pulsar's line of scopes, sorry.  I've been able to play with ATN, FLIR, and IR Defense toys.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Some images.
This is with firmware 566, I don't know for sure if this is what firmware it will ship with but I suspect it is.  Note that these are the images straight from the SD card, not edited in any way.

First image is resized to 640x480.  Second one is straight from the scope.

The scope saves them as JPGs so I assume there is some compression artifacts but the fact that they are saved oversized more than makes up for it.  

What I'm getting at is that these pictures are a good representation of what you see in the scope.

These are taken near midnight.  It had been raining just a few hours before and was still humid but no fog.

The model is a 640 2.5X

Deer at 250 yards, resized to 640x480

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Here is video of the same deer.

Note that here again the scope saves the video at a higher resolution than the detector.  This may not make sense but remember that the UI and cross hairs etc wouldn't display right if they didn't do this.  It doesn't really matter other than the file size will be a little bigger than needed.  The video here is a good representation of what you would see in the scope.

The video is obviously edited, but only to add text and clipping the length etc.  Files normally come out of the scope as .mov and I reencoded as WMV, there is no significant quality loss.  I'll post one of the raw files as well.

Video clip of same deer at 250 yards.  Digital zoom action as well. I'm holding the scope in my hands so it isn't very stable, sorry.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3552650/Thermal/Thor640%20566.wmv

Here is a raw .mov file from the scope.

I was manually changing focus here and there.  Note that the conditions were kinda crappy. Wet, flat scene.  Their auto gain algorithms are struggling to make the background show up well.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3552650/Thermal/ATNX0005.MOV

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#50]
The images look pretty good for 2/3 the price of the IRD units.  If it performs without "bugs" I am sure it will be a hit.

Can you comment more on the eye piece?  I have looked through a Flir PS32 and was unimpressed in the size / screen display.  I have a PVS14 and that looks great.

Is this similar to looking through the PS32 or better?  Is it larger than the PS32 screen which seemed very small?

Have you looked through the old style Atn Thor units?  If so, how did the image compare?

Thanks,
Ryan
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top