Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 73 of 143)
Page / 143
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:44:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GreasyEasy: Besides the MRPs, the best thing about these badness threads has always been the passion shown by fellow MRP owners

I promised myself I wouldn't cannibalize other builds in order to build this new rifle, so this is just some mocking up with a SBR'd lower to get an idea of the feel and balance.

https://i.imgur.com/YxcKaE4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Wf7kiZP.jpg
View Quote
I regret that I missed this picture from last week.

Very nicely done GreasyEasy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:54:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By GreasyEasy:
That's a sweet looking setup!   I applaud and appreciate any ambi lower as a satan hander.  The controls on that one look well laid out.  Never seen a castle nut like that though, that's pretty interesting.

My grail AR-15 would be a LMT/KAC collaborative effort.   I'm kind of surprised this hasn't happened already considering KAC has done this in the past for example with the MAGPUL/KAC rifles.   The only difference b/t the two to me is that KAC's marketing is masterclass worthy, while LMT for years seemed to not even have a marketing strategy.   I think this is changing fast with LMT now though.
View Quote
Thank you! Once I started using ambi lowers, it is hard to go back to a regular lower. The PWS lower is very well laid out and made. I am very impressed with it.

That castle nut is a very interesting design. PWS came up with a ratcheting castle nut. I am thinking of getting some for my other lowers. It also has a QD endplate built in.

Primary Weapons System MOD 2 Enhanced Buffer Tube Install

I agree 100% regarding the holy grail being a LMT + KAC collaborative effort. Would be incredible if they one day did that.

Originally Posted By StevieJ309:
Got the 11.5" upper in today. Pardon the crappy pic:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7885/46754457012_2e2ec8ddaa_b.jpg

I got a KAC trigger guard and BCM grip in the mail today as well, but both of those are giving me issues. The trigger guard is going to need some filing to fit in the MARS lower and the BCM grip's "ears" are pushed in on either side not allowing me to install it.
View Quote
That looks great. Excited to see it when you build finishes. I need to get one of the 11.5" barrels. I have that 10.5" barrel setup that I haven't even shot yet. But I definitely prefer the 11.5" barrel length for 5.56.

Originally Posted By hammermill290:
Seems like this thread is seeing a lot more action lately...that's awesome.  Nice setups guys.
View Quote
I only came across this thread not to long ago. Been a LMT owner for a few years. Not sure why I never saw it before.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:48:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone have a LMT piston setup? I'm wondering how hard would it be to cut a 16" piston barrel down to say 12" barrel length? Any idea if the gas port would need to be opened up at all?

I guess I should ask, anyone know what the gas port size is on the 16" piston barrel as well as on the 12" piston barrel?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:01:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePitt] [#4]
Originally Posted By tranzformer:
Anyone have a LMT piston setup? I'm wondering how hard would it be to cut a 16" piston barrel down to say 12" barrel length? Any idea if the gas port would need to be opened up at all?

I guess I should ask, anyone know what the gas port size is on the 16" piston barrel as well as on the 12" piston barrel?
View Quote
I couldn't tell you for certain but I believe I've read in here of someone cutting one down and not touching the gas port.

I used to have the 12" piston.  The only thing I didn't like about it was the muzzle device I had would not allow to disassemble the piston.  I would suggest cutting it to 12.5" instead if you ever intend to suppress it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ThePitt:

I couldn't tell you for certain but I believe I've read in here of someone cutting one down and not touching the gas port.

I used to have the 12" piston.  The only thing I didn't like about it was the muzzle device I had would not allow to disassemble the piston.  I would suggest cutting it to 12.5" instead if you ever intend to suppress it.
View Quote
Thanks for that info. Maybe I will put in a call to LMT on Tuesday and see if their tech department would give me a definite answer. Just thought I would ask on here first being the weekend and all.

Good idea about the barrel length and muzzle device potentially blocking the piston gas block. That is a very good point. Not sure if I will get a piston barrel assembly, but I have seen some for a decent price used. Could be a fun little suppressor host to play around with.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's my pair.  Need to get a few things for either yet but they're shootable.

Link Posted: 1/20/2019 5:01:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#7]
Originally Posted By M4ger:
I regret that I missed this picture from last week.

Very nicely done GreasyEasy.
View Quote
Thanks for the kind words brother

It was easy to miss though with it missing so many parts

Tranzformer...thanks for the video, it was most informative.  Neat design.  Maybe we should start a crowdfunding account for a LMT/KAC collab rifle....show LMT and KAC we mean business !
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#8]

https://i.imgur.com/87f6eYp.jpg
View Quote
The perfect pair of MRPs...old school / new school chassis...CQB / Recce...1x / magnified.

I'd enjoy shooting the MLR Recce more though, as they are just so much fun to shoot at distance.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 5:41:28 PM EDT
[#9]
The perfect pair of MRPs...old school / new school chassis...CQB / Recce...1x / magnified.

I'd enjoy shooting the MLR Recce more though, as they are just so much fun to shoot at distance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'm sure the MLR will be great at distance.  I'll give a report next time I'm out taking it to 840yds
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:04:06 PM EDT
[#10]
That's great you have a range required to really let a LP AR shine.   In the past I had a few private places with access to 1k, but currently it's Talladega Marksmanship Park with 600yds or nothing.  It's the Disney world of shooting ranges though.

You should get a nice little 25x zoom HD cam to capture your sessions.   I witnessed some amazing things on film after shooting that I never saw in person like bullet glints, crystal clear bullet trace, trace trajectory on a .308 16" MWS out to 1k, XM856 taking a 45degree left turn at about 700yds, etc.   I won't go LR shooting without a trace cam nowadays.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
Wow great looking set!

I have an idea let's see who is on board. What if we all submit 1 rifle, 1 time and we all vote for who has the coolest MRP in the thread? We can set a date that submissions have to be turned by, and when you submit your official entry we label it as such, -

RIFLE EXAMPLE PIC
THIS IS MY OFFICIAL ENTRY.

When the date comes we can all vote and then crown the winner. Maybe everyone pitches in 5 bucks in order to compete and the winner receives the pot. Someone we designate will hold the cash until the winner is declared. For instance the fellow MRP member we designate, we can all PayPal or venmo him our 5 dollar entry fee so that person holds the cash. We could earmark a solid week coming up that the entry's will be submitted during, then after that week came and ended we will all have the next week to vote on here as such-

MY OFFICAL VOTE GOES TO XXX

We will count all votes submitted during the week we label as the voting looking over the posts to make sure they fall within the specified dates and are legal votes.

What do you guys think? If we like the idea we can set forth some ground rules such as the picture submission can only be of the rifle no background peripherals such as NODs, etc (to prevent the coolest pic from winning and focus the attention on the actual rifle itself) and whatever other criteria everyone thinks is fair and relevant.

So what's everyone say?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#12]
That sounds like fun, but for many here that would be like picking a favorite child to submit

One could draw up a really nice contest like you describe calling it something like...."Celebrating 15 years of MRPs, post your coolest MRP rifle for the opportunity to win a LMT MRP barrel of your choice"

Making it organized, and concise as possible, I would then politely send it to the LMT's sales, or marketing director asking if they might be interested in sponsoring a contest like this.  I'd make them aware of these threads as well.   If LMT was smart, and serious about grassroots customers, than this would be an easy thing for them to do.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:33:06 PM EDT
[#13]
That sounds like fun, but for many here that would be like picking a favorite child to submit

One could draw up a really nice contest like you describe calling it something like...."Celebrating 15 years of MRPs, post your coolest MRP rifle for the opportunity to win a LMT MRP barrel of your choice"

Making it organized, and concise as possible, I would then politely send it to the LMT's sales, or marketing director asking if they might be interested in sponsoring a contest like this.  I'd make them aware of these threads as well.   If LMT was smart, and serious about grassroots customers, than this would be an easy thing for them to do.
View Quote
They're well aware of this. It's just a fun thing amongst the LMT brotherhood. I'm sure we can put something together and it'll be a ton of fun. That person could be dubbed "king of the MRP'S" and then we'll do it again next year!
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I need to put about about $600 into my MLR first lol
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I know the feeling, I got a bit more than that left in mine as well.

I did just get a NIB M600u 1000lumen model in the EE

Excited to get the light, as I haven't owned one this powerful yet.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jtdam24:

So what's everyone say?
View Quote
Sounds fun...i’m In!!

Cheers
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#17]
They're well aware of this. It's just a fun thing amongst the LMT brotherhood. I'm sure we can put something together and it'll be a ton of fun. That person could be dubbed "king of the MRP'S" and then we'll do it again next year!
View All Quotes

Says the man who will clearly win every year... lol. Your two exceptional railed recces alone could win that category.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By buddyhoohaw:

Dead sexy!!  Glad to see others using the MRO too. I dig mine.

Cheers
View Quote
The more I use my MRO, the more and more I like it. Almost to the point of thinking about selling off my Aimpoint T2 and replacing it with an MRO.

Originally Posted By Sabre675:

View Quote
View Quote
Says the man who will clearly win every year... lol. Your two exceptional railed recces alone could win that category.
View Quote
I know right! I'm not going to enter a losing proposition against the likes of  jtdam24, ThePitt, LMT_87 and others.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#19]
The more I use my MRO, the more and more I like it. Almost to the point of thinking about selling off my Aimpoint T2 and replacing it with an MRO.

I know right! I'm not going to enter a losing proposition against the likes of  jtdam24, ThePitt, LMT_87 and others.
View All Quotes

Cheers

No way everyone has an equal chance here! There are some amazing setups in this thread and it'll be fun!
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
I need to get behind an MRO. I figured I'd just get a T2 for this build, but if you guys like them this much then I need to take a look.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#21]
No way everyone has an equal chance here! There are some amazing setups in this thread and it'll be fun!
View All Quotes

Cheers

Shoooooot.  Im glad someone thinks I have a badass rifle but I think I'll pass on any friendly competition.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:24:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buddyhoohaw] [#22]

View Quote
I think I read on one of the KAC threads that you are using a Scalarworks mount on your MRO.  I too utilize a Scalarworks mount on one of my MROs and it is an awesome mount; I really like the thumbscrew feature which seems virtually impossible to over torque.

Cheers
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Shoooooot.  Im glad someone thinks I have a badass rifle but I think I'll pass on any friendly competition.  
View All Quotes

Cheers

I'm conceding as well lol.

Would be hard to choose between Edwin907, Duffy, Jtdam24, emtothedee, hammermill290, sabre675, m4hk33 and countless others.

Glad to see this thread moving at a faster pace now and more people getting into the MRP/MWS. Can we all agree to start bugging LMT for PCC mrp barrels and maybe a mars pistol caliber lowers? One can dream right.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#24]
A MRP PCC would be pretty sweet. It will be interesting to see if they expand in to different areas after they move to the much larger facility.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll just leave CIRCA 2010 here for the win!!  You can pay me later.  

Cheers
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:12:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#26]
Easily one of my all time favorite rifles.  Remember it in 2010, and built my 10.5" CQB 75% based off of it, and 25% off of Jboy's CQB build.

I hope you didn't cannibalize that baby, as it should be in the MRP hall of fame one day if I have a say in the matter

ETA:  Didn't you have a GS scout mount on it in the beginning.  I think that's why I got my m300/GS setup back then.  I had to modify the scout to fit with the KAC front sight....and I see you turned yours around.  That's smart...if only the high speed dudes with 416s would have made that acceptable back then
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#27]
A MRP PCC would be pretty sweet. It will be interesting to see if they expand in to different areas after they move to the much larger facility.
View Quote
Absolutely!

That's gorgeous, like KAC and LMT had a child together. That dimpled badness though Always loved the look of the mrp piston setup, would love to try one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:37:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buddyhoohaw] [#28]

Easily one of my all time favorite rifles.  Remember it in 2010, and built my 10.5" CQB 75% based off of it, and 25% off of Jboy's CQB build.

I hope you didn't cannibalize that baby, as it should be in the MRP hall of fame one day if I have a say in the matter

ETA:  Didn't you have a GS scout mount on it in the beginning.  I think that's why I got my m300/GS setup back then.  I had to modify the scout to fit with the KAC front sight....and I see you turned yours around.  That's smart...if only the high speed dudes with 416s would have made that acceptable back then
View Quote
Originally Posted By LMT_87:
Absolutely!

That's gorgeous, like KAC and LMT had a child together. That dimpled badness though Always loved the look of the mrp piston setup, would love to try one.
View Quote
Thank for the compliments, guys.  I still have everything in the picture except for the dimpled piston barrel, BCG and Triple Tap.  I really regret getting rid of the 3T because I now have an NT4 and could use the 3T on my MR556 SBR.

I believe that I did originally have a GS mount before I direct mounted the Scout to the vent holes on the rail.

Believe it or not the rarest part on that build is the Gen 1 T1 mount which is now on one of my SR15s.  @jboy has a Gen 1 T1 mount as well.

Cheers
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#29]

I need to get behind an MRO. I figured I'd just get a T2 for this build, but if you guys like them this much then I need to take a look.
View Quote
They are nice. There are pros to both the MRO and T2. You just need to figure out what works for you and what your preferences are. I really like the larger view through the MRO. Going back to the T2 just feels so narrow. Some guys don't care and have no issue. Both are good.

I think I read on one of the KAC threads that you are using a Scalarworks mount on your MRO.  I too utilize a Scalarworks mount on one of my MROs and it is an awesome mount; I really like the thumbscrew feature which seems virtually impossible to over torque.

Cheers
View Quote
I want to try the Scalarworks MRO mount. If I end up deciding to sell my T2, I would get a Scalarworks mount to go with the new MRO. Right now my MRO sits on a Midwest Industries QD mount. Very nice mount.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Very. Very Nice 👍🏻. The only thing I would change is stippling those KAC panels. I suppose I could live with it either way. Lol
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#31]
KAC and LMT cousins go at it again from SmallArmsSolutions. Great video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiCbzu5H3nU
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Attachment Attached File

Range report coming soon
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
Looking forward to it

It's great that you've been documenting your rifle's round count and performance.  I wish I had logs like that for every major firearm I own.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
Yeah, that would be nice. I really regret selling my 9mm and 22LR barrels that were done by Spike’s Tactical back in the day. I had 16” and 10.5” variants of both.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 1:25:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tranzformer] [#35]
I'll just leave CIRCA 2010 here for the win!!  You can pay me later.  

View Quote
@buddyhoohaw, Never seen those pictures before, but thank you for posting them again. Won't hear any complaints from me with that build. Great job.

View Quote
Look forward to the range report. I expect it ran like a top and a beast.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:13:01 AM EDT
[#36]
buddyhoohaw that 12" piston had an Elcan on it for a bit right?

Between that rifle and Duffy's painted rifle length I HAD to have an MRP.

Those two rifles are where it all began for me.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:28:11 AM EDT
[#37]
I find it very interesting that many of my favorite MRP Badness posters own either OG MK1s with the full wings, or early Rev A models.

In order to own those particular rails without paying through the nose in the secondary market, you had to buy into a rail that was bucking the exact opposite market trends going towards the KMR.   It was right around the peak of the LW insanity craze that still remains to some degree today.   We now see where the KMR VS MK1 ended up in terms of history, and rep.

Some people conduct the train, others jump aboard.   The OG posters of Badness have quite the claim in the AR15 universe, and the appreciation of their early genius will only grow, as the MRP design grows.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 9:52:29 AM EDT
[#38]
buddyhoohaw that 12" piston had an Elcan on it for a bit right?

Between that rifle and Duffy's painted rifle length I HAD to have an MRP.

Those two rifles are where it all began for me.
View Quote
Now that you mention it I did have a Gen2 Spectre DR on it for a bit but I can find any pics.  Attached is a pic after I removed the 3T so I could run my SF can...

dem dimplez...

Cheers
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#39]

Now that you mention it I did have a Gen2 Spectre DR on it for a bit but I can find any pics.  Attached is a pic after I removed the 3T so I could run my SF can...

https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/LMT/f4911c69-6e90-45c2-8d53-c9824e66a774_zpsbx94rl5m.jpg

dem dimplez...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/LMT/DSC-15.jpg

Cheers
View Quote
Great pictures, this is what I was looking at to put together albeit, with a more suitable and proper lower such as the MARS-L. Curious to know where you got the dimpled barrel, and forgive me for asking but does it have any effect on performance, or is it purely aesthetic purposes?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:02:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By InfamousAK:
Great pictures, this is what I was looking at to put together albeit, with a more suitable and proper lower such as the MARS-L. Curious to know where you got the dimpled barrel, and forgive me for asking but does it have any effect on performance, or is it purely aesthetic purposes?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By InfamousAK:

https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/LMT/f4911c69-6e90-45c2-8d53-c9824e66a774_zpsbx94rl5m.jpg

dem dimplez...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/buddyhoohaw/LMT/DSC-15.jpg

Cheers
Marvin Pitts dimpled the barrel and the dimpling decreases weight and also increases surface area which promotes faster cooling and most importantly looks badass.  

Cheers
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#41]

Hey guys, can't believe you guys named me with Duffy, Buddyhoohaw and the rest, but I was an early adopter.  I think we came after WES (MSTN).
If I could only have one AR, it would be the above MRP, never a failure to feed, fire or eject!  Thanks WES.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:16:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ2A] [#42]
This past weekend I was given the opportunity to take a Night Fighter Course with Johnny Primo of Courses of Action. The class was focused on shooting a carbine on the move while under NVGs from 0-200 yards. So logically, I had to bring my new favorite carbine:

The LMT New Zealand Reference Rifle

Here's a list of the current modifications to the rifle:

EOTech EXPS 3-0
Steiner DBAL A3
Surefire M300 Scout Light
KAC Vertical Grip
AAC 51T Flash Hider
BCM Pistol Grip
BCM Bolt Carrier (The rifle shipped with a semi auto carrier )
LMT Enhanced Bolt
Magpul MS2 Sling
BCM Ambidextrous Charging Handle

During the class approximately 700 rounds were fired with about 500 on day 1 and 200 on day 2. All ammunition fired during the class was Wolf Gold 55 gr. (Total round count is just over 1600 currently)

I started Day 1 with a filthy rifle, but well lubed with Slip 2000. Around the 300-400 round mark, during a reload, engaging the bolt release failed to pick up a fresh round. I immediately racked the charging handle which then chambered the live round. A quick check of the rifle during a break showed that most of the lubrication had burned away (I assume due to rapid fired with the suppressor installed). I took the BCG out, lubed it up so it was dripping wet, slapped it back in and went on with the class. No other malfunctions occurred during Day 1.

Before the start of Day 2, I quickly wiped down the BCG, charging handle, and inside of the receiver with a rag then added a copious amount of Slip2000 to all contact points. The rifle ran flawlessly throughout the 2nd day of the class.

During the Night Fighter course, we engaged targets while in traditional and non traditional positions, both passively and with IR illuminators and IR lasers. The rifle shoulders easily and is quite ergonomic for the way I have it setup. The rail, in my opinion, is the perfect length for a carbine of this purpose. When running IR lasers and lights, you want to push these out on the rail as far as possible to mitigate any "splashing" off of front sights, white lights, etc. While the rail on this rifle is shorter than most modern offerings, placing these accessories at the end of this rifle keeps the rifles very well balanced and puts your support hand in a more maintainable position. Not too far out and not too far in, just right

Overall thoughts on the rifle so far:

These rifles were 100% designed for duty and combat use. I'm sure some will cringe but I have purposefully dropped the rifle multiple times, drug it through the dirt, slid it across concrete, etc etc. I absolutely trust this rifle to make it through just about anything I throw at it now.

The recoil impulse is unlike any other rifle I've had. While it's not as smooth shooting as a KAC SR15, it is a very smooth impulse and it has more of a mechanical feel which I actually kind of like. It handles and shoots like it was built with absolute reliability with all ammo as the top priority, then they focused on keeping the recoil impulse smooth, not the other way around like other manufacturers.

While the rifle isn't necessarily heavy, unless you're talking to the average neck-beard commando in mama's basement, it definitely isn't a lightweight carbine when compared to what one will typically see on the gram. My 16" BCM rifle with the 15" MCMR is considerably lighter and quicker with target transitions but I can simply bend the end of the rail with a single finger... Slap a DBAL or PEQ on the end of that thing and you're asking for problems when tossed around or used in a duty role. Just check out the drama involved with Geissele with their rails. Permanent damage and significant zero shifts with simple drop testing. When it comes down to weight, I'd rather carry .5 lbs more for the guarantee that this rail system has the best chance of retaining zero over any other design out there, period.

Parts commonality. The main reason the KAC SR15 line of rifles will never be an option for me is simply because of their bolt and barrel extension design. While it may be better than the standard AR15/ M4 design, I can't get behind something that doesn't accept the run of the mill M4 bolt. Call me old school but it's just my way of thinking. That's where the LMT caught my eye. Before purchasing this rifle, I didn't realize it was the standard bolt design. Pair that with their enhanced bolt, which for all intents and purposes, is as good as KAC's bolt, I knew I had to purchase the rifle to see what was what. If you can design parts to be significantly better than OEM but then work with the original design, you absolutely have a winner.

The MRP line of rifles may not be the hottest thing out there right now... Seriously, these rails tend to run really cool . With the large OD rail and the gas block forward and outside of the rail system, this rail stays cool even in long strings of firing. My BCM MCMR's start to cook you alive after a couple magazines so this was a very pleasant surprise.

Overall, this rifle has now taken the place as my go to carbine because I have full faith in the design. To steal one of Bill Geissele's phrases, the LMT MRP line of rifles is as "bomb-proof" as a modern carbine gets.

If we have any lurkers here thinking about picking up a LMT MRP type rifle, just go out there and do it. You will absolutely be glad that you did!

Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By edwin907:
https://i.imgur.com/kC4cDgv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YCPuyqx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/9RbJaUk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/v3N5iTB.jpg

Hey guys, can't believe you guys named me with Duffy, Buddyhoohaw and the rest, but I was an early adopter.  I think we came after WES (MSTN).
If I could only have one AR, it would be the above MRP, never a failure to feed, fire or eject!  Thanks WES.
View Quote
Very nice setup edwin! 10.5" barrel?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By AZ2A:
This past weekend I was given the opportunity to take a Night Fighter Course with Johnny Primo of Courses of Action. The class was focused on shooting a carbine on the move while under NVGs from 0-200 yards. So logically, I had to bring my new favorite carbine:

The LMT New Zealand Reference Rifle

https://i.ibb.co/Cmysp2M/thumbnail-8.jpg

Here's a list of the current modifications to the rifle:

EOTech EXPS 3-0
Steiner DBAL A3
Surefire M300 Scout Light
KAC Vertical Grip
AAC 51T Flash Hider
BCM Pistol Grip
BCM Bolt Carrier (The rifle shipped with a semi auto carrier )
LMT Enhanced Bolt
Magpul MS2 Sling
BCM Ambidextrous Charging Handle

During the class approximately 700 rounds were fired with about 500 on day 1 and 200 on day 2. All ammunition fired during the class was Wolf Gold 55 gr. (Total round count is just over 1600 currently)

https://i.ibb.co/gPk7jx9/thumbnail-3.jpg

I started Day 1 with a filthy rifle, but well lubed with Slip 2000. Around the 300-400 round mark, during a reload, engaging the bolt release failed to pick up a fresh round. I immediately racked the charging handle which then chambered the live round. A quick check of the rifle during a break showed that most of the lubrication had burned away (I assume due to rapid fired with the suppressor installed). I took the BCG out, lubed it up so it was dripping wet, slapped it back in and went on with the class. No other malfunctions occurred during Day 1.

https://i.ibb.co/mqtr0sj/IMG-20190120-144814-062.jpg

Before the start of Day 2, I quickly wiped down the BCG, charging handle, and inside of the receiver with a rag then added a copious amount of Slip2000 to all contact points. The rifle ran flawlessly throughout the 2nd day of the class.

https://i.ibb.co/tp7z1Yv/thumbnail-4.jpg

During the Night Fighter course, we engaged targets while in traditional and non traditional positions, both passively and with IR illuminators and IR lasers. The rifle shoulders easily and is quite ergonomic for the way I have it setup. The rail, in my opinion, is the perfect length for a carbine of this purpose. When running IR lasers and lights, you want to push these out on the rail as far as possible to mitigate any "splashing" off of front sights, white lights, etc. While the rail on this rifle is shorter than most modern offerings, placing these accessories at the end of this rifle keeps the rifles very well balanced and puts your support hand in a more maintainable position. Not too far out and not too far in, just right

Overall thoughts on the rifle so far:

These rifles were 100% designed for duty and combat use. I'm sure some will cringe but I have purposefully dropped the rifle multiple times, drug it through the dirt, slid it across concrete, etc etc. I absolutely trust this rifle to make it through just about anything I throw at it now.

The recoil impulse is unlike any other rifle I've had. While it's not as smooth shooting as a KAC SR15, it is a very smooth impulse and it has more of a mechanical feel which I actually kind of like. It handles and shoots like it was built with absolute reliability with all ammo as the top priority, then they focused on keeping the recoil impulse smooth, not the other way around like other manufacturers.

While the rifle isn't necessarily heavy, unless you're talking to the average neck-beard commando in mama's basement, it definitely isn't a lightweight carbine when compared to what one will typically see on the gram. My 16" BCM rifle with the 15" MCMR is considerably lighter and quicker with target transitions but I can simply bend the end of the rail with a single finger... Slap a DBAL or PEQ on the end of that thing and you're asking for problems when tossed around or used in a duty role. Just check out the drama involved with Geissele with their rails. Permanent damage and significant zero shifts with simple drop testing. When it comes down to weight, I'd rather carry .5 lbs more for the guarantee that this rail system has the best chance of retaining zero over any other design out there, period.

https://i.ibb.co/fFRjpg2/20190122-120827-edited.jpg

Parts commonality. The main reason the KAC SR15 line of rifles will never be an option for me is simply because of their bolt and barrel extension design. While it may be better than the standard AR15/ M4 design, I can't get behind something that doesn't accept the run of the mill M4 bolt. Call me old school but it's just my way of thinking. That's where the LMT caught my eye. Before purchasing this rifle, I didn't realize it was the standard bolt design. Pair that with their enhanced bolt, which for all intents and purposes, is as good as KAC's bolt, I knew I had to purchase the rifle to see what was what. If you can design parts to be significantly better than OEM but then work with the original design, you absolutely have a winner.

The MRP line of rifles may not be the hottest thing out there right now... Seriously, these rails tend to run really cool . With the large OD rail and the gas block forward and outside of the rail system, this rail stays cool even in long strings of firing. My BCM MCMR's start to cook you alive after a couple magazines so this was a very pleasant surprise.

Overall, this rifle has now taken the place as my go to carbine because I have full faith in the design. To steal one of Bill Geissele's phrases, the LMT MRP line of rifles is as "bomb-proof" as a modern carbine gets.

If we have any lurkers here thinking about picking up a LMT MRP type rifle, just go out there and do it. You will absolutely be glad that you did!

https://i.ibb.co/MsqF4JP/thumbnail.jpg
View Quote
Seriously, that's one of the best AARs I've read.  I love how you laid out the reasons and rational for your setup.  I also couldn't agree more with the points you made, and the conclusions you drew made perfect sense.

I didn't want to say it before you acknowledged the fact your beating the hell out of this rifle, but it's one of the few rifles posted that actually looks like it's been downrange somewhere.  In my mind, I know the MRP is the strongest...but very few occasions have I actually been able to witness their bombproof nature.   I love seeing what I believe to be true, turn out to be actual true indeed.  Project Kill Kiwi MRP is absolutely cool, and super enjoyable to read and learn about.

Big kudos for the contribution, and knowledge your dropping in this thread.  I know it's not easy to take pics, organize your thoughts, and concisely type out a legit AAR, or range report...but it's appreciated, and very valuable to the community
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:10:57 PM EDT
[#45]

Very nice setup edwin! 10.5" barrel?
View Quote
Yep, 10.5" which seems perfectly matched to the old(isn) SpecWar II suppressor.
And great review AZZA.   NV shoots are a blast!

You know the number one criticism of this 10.5" SBR is that it is "heavy as FUCK!"
Well, I don't know about that.  In my younger days I shot plenty of SBRs, and I'm not
convinced I could shoot lighter ones as good as this one.  Switch over to select fire
lowers, which I got plenty of practice with thanks to our favorite uncle, and I'm even more
sure of it. I learned on an UZI and ARM Galil, then both again with OEG, so yeah, I'm old school.

My favorite MRP picture.

Link Posted: 1/23/2019 12:41:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ2A] [#46]
Thanks for the kind words guys! If it's not completely obvious, I'm very happy with my LMT rifle haha. Can't wait for my 11.5" barrel to arrive!
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:46:44 AM EDT
[#47]
Hey guys, quick question if you don't mind. Am curious what buffer/spring combos you are running in your LMTs. I had a piston upper, sold that, and now have one of the new M-LOK rifle uppers with 16" DI barrel.

Not going to run it suppressed for a while (currently in non-suppressor state) so I am thinking of possibly a H1 buffer and not exactly sure what spring. Looking for possible suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:55:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Thor-Defense1:
Hey guys, quick question if you don't mind. Am curious what buffer/spring combos you are running in your LMTs. I had a piston upper, sold that, and now have one of the new M-LOK rifle uppers with 16" DI barrel.

Not going to run it suppressed for a while (currently in non-suppressor state) so I am thinking of possibly a H1 buffer and not exactly sure what spring. Looking for possible suggestions. Thanks in advance!
View Quote
Hey! I'm just running the standard carbine buffer and spring. Zero issues here! A H1 probably isn't a bad idea for use with a suppressor
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:59:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GreasyEasy] [#49]
Originally Posted By Thor-Defense1:

View Quote
I've run H, Carbine, and KAC's SR-15 buffers in 16" MRP barrels without problems with any of them.  My only current 16" MRP barrel is older Rock 5R SS model, but I shoot it with a H buffer for a bit more smoothness since it's used as a true Recce rifle and like to see my splash if I miss.

ETA:  I always run standard springs.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 9:42:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sabre675] [#50]
https://imgur.com/HHJtlhF,https://i.imgur.com/HHJtlhF.jpg

Got my MAR-H-eavy- What a sick Lower. The forging is a bit different then my other MWS Lower. The original has sharper lines which are actually more aesthetically pleasing. The new style carries over the same magazine release with the mold mark and isn't as nice as the original MWS. But I'd say overall it eeks out the old receiver due to feature. finish is on par with the newer stuff. After putting my 14.5 ball milled barrel in and assembling it as a complete rifle it is very well balanced in comparison to my Green Machine. Give it a feeling of being much lighter then it really is. I suspect this will change quite a bit after Bipod and optics . Love it though.https://imgur.com/HHJtlhF" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/HHJtlhF.jpg

Edit: Holy crap I uploaded an image... LOL. Thanks Greasyeasy! Baby steps. Photo Layout and quality up next. Also added Magpul Grips to both lowers. The ergo grip isn't lacking at all functionally, I much prefer the aesthetics of the Magpul grip....
Page / 143
Tacked MRP Badness, chapter 3 (Page 73 of 143)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top