BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/2/2007 6:19:44 PM EDT
This thread is inspired by bigbore's sigline and Molon's thread on his test of it, found here.

Bigbore's sigline contains a challenge - “That's a nice group from the bench. Now let’s see you hit a grapefruit at 50 yards offhand.”

This thread is a challenge to every ARFcommer with a rifle.
10 shots, fired with your rifle, off hand, at 50 yards on the grapefruit target, which can be found here in .pdf format.

I think this thread will be a good barometer on who is a shooter and who is not.

The Rules
A Rifle - any rifle.
10 rounds of ammo - any ammo.
Sights - any sights.
Distance - 50 yards
Position - offhand
Target - grapefruit
Prize - being taken seriously

With the size of our membership, this thread should receive several hundred submitted targets at the very minimum.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it OK to use a Revolver?
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#3]
What is "off hand " ...Standing up ? I'm in.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What is "off hand " ...Standing up ? I'm in.

Standing unsupported.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#5]
dernit, I am going to be at work for the next couple of weeks...ugh....I already saved the target....
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I;m going shooting sunday i might have to take the grapefruit challenge. kinda sounds like something you would see on sickone.com
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I might get in on this if I can make it out to the range this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag for pic's.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#10]
count me in!

Mike
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Once at SWAT practice me and some other snipers were practicing hitting one inch wood blocks from 100 yard (not too hard with a scoped rifle I know).  Well some other guy comes by and makes a smart ass comment about "anyone being able to hit a target with a scope on their gun".  

I agreed and was getting ready to walk away and then he says something about "you proably can't hit $#(% with you handgun.   Well, I set my rifle down, walk over draw my handgun and squeeze off one round downrange at some of the blocks still there.  I knocked one of those little bastards off the target stand and this guys jaw just dropped.

I walked away and said something smart ass like "yeah, I can only hit things with a scope".

When I got back to my car to load my rifle my buddy was like "holy #$%% dude, I didn't think you were that good with a handgun".    I started laughing and told him it was total luck.  In fact I think I hit the wood block next to the one I was aiming at (they were about 6 or so inches apart).   I couldn't replicate that shot in a million years but the look on that idiots face was priceless.  He was like

I guess it's funnier if you were there.

Link Posted: 11/2/2007 8:14:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you cant hit a target in some  sort of “fighting” position, you need to take a second look at why you own an AR.

By the way, you really want to make a shot difficult....see how hard it is to hit a target only 10 yards away while moving at "warrant speed" or "hostage rescue speed".   Platform is everything!

(by the way, warrant speed is like a medium paced walk and hostage rescue speed is a fast walk.....notice I said WALK......SWAT does not run like in the movies, we walk.)

Link Posted: 11/2/2007 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If you cant hit a target in some  sort of “fighting” position, you need to take a second look at why you own an AR.

By the way, you really want to make a shot difficult....see how hard it is to hit a target only 10 yards away while moving at "warrant speed" or "hostage rescue speed".   Platform is everything!

(by the way, warrant speed is like a medium paced walk and hostage rescue speed is a fast walk.....notice I said WALK......SWAT does not run like in the movies, we walk.)

Actually it's a "Groucho walk" or "Stealth walk" so just walking doesn't quite cover it.
'Legs like tank treads"
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You guys are missing the point of my sig line.  My comment isnt about the ability to hit a 6" circle off hand, at the range, by yourself with all the practice shots and prep time using your rifle of choice for the task.

Bigbore - thanks for your comments.
I know not all will be true to the spirit of this thread - hitting a target, in a fighting stance, at speed - but some will.
It will also encourage more people to get out of their comfort zones and try to learn how to use their rifles beyond making noise and light.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Im going to the range in Faucett MO>sp on Tuesday with 3 friends(one is a member here) the other 2 lurk sometimes. I am going to see if they will attemp the challenge, otherwise ill go at it by myself just to see if I can. Ill save the target to see if I can get pics of it. But Ill post my results, wether you choose to believe them or not. Good luck contestents.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 1:12:42 AM EDT
[#16]
If this is still going in 30 months when I get back home then I'm in
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 3:04:01 AM EDT
[#17]
How about using 3 targets (or just the one) and using all three positions the Army rifle Q test calls for now.

for the sake of this thread;

prone supported (sandbag)=10rds
prone unsupported (elbow to ground)=10rds
kneeling supported (elbow to knee)=10rds

or,
kneeling supported=10rds
kneeling unsupported (off hand)= 10rds
standing=10rds

If you have a K-Pot....wear it while shooting
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 3:46:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
How about using 3 targets (or just the one) and using all three positions the Army rifle Q test calls for now.

for the sake of this thread;

prone supported (sandbag)=10rds
prone unsupported (elbow to ground)=10rds
kneeling supported (elbow to knee)=10rds

or,
kneeling supported=10rds
kneeling unsupported (off hand)= 10rds
standing=10rds

How about more practical, if we want to get into a three position version?

Prone unsupported (10 rounds -20 sec)
Kneeling unsupported (10 rnds- 20 sec)
Standing unupported (10 rnds -20 sec)

Or even 15 sec.

I think the spirit of Bigbore's original challenge was the shooter is the support, and the timing of the shots should be rapid.  I'm not even sure multiple shots are intended at all in the spirit of the original thread.  It seemed to me the idea was to hit with the first shot and not to allow the shooter to "fire and correct".

So, if the shooters wanted to rotate into and out of the firing positions for each shot, it could also be a good exercise for rapidly assumeing a practical firing position and getting off an effective shot.  Something like, no more than 5 seconds to assume position and get off a shot.  Then clear the firing position for the next shooter.

Link Posted: 11/3/2007 5:38:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
How about using 3 targets

I'm ready for the Grapefruit Challenge!

Sorry guys, I just couldn't help it!  LOL
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 6:08:09 AM EDT
[#20]
This challenge is too hard I wont do it.
I mean really, where the hell am I gonna get a grapefruit.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 6:52:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm in.  But here is how I will do it.  I will walk up to the line and do the "ready up" drill Rifleman talks about in his practice drills.  That will be the best way, I think, to simulate walking up, raising the rilfe, and shooting.  To make it a bit harder you can look at the line and not look up to the target until you are raising your rifle.  

I know exactly what Bigbore's point was, one shot, under pressure, what can you do quickly and correctly? Don't run your mouth about what you can do unless you can back it up.   There will probably be less than 1% that can HONESTLY do it.  I am NOT one of those 1%, hence I don't run my mouth about my shooting either.  

I will be really surprised either way.  Either by sucking more than I think I suck, or getting lucky and doing better.    I will try to video it so you can see that I do use a walkup and shoot offhand.  It won't be pretty I assure you, and laugh it up all you want.  I will only take criticism from those who have the balls to post their vids....  
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Have you seen the grapefruits lately?!
There half the size of regular ones!
good luck!
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 7:14:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Once at SWAT practice me and some other snipers were practicing hitting one inch wood blocks from 100 yard (not too hard with a scoped rifle I know).  Well some other guy comes by and makes a smart ass comment about "anyone being able to hit a target with a scope on their gun".  

I agreed and was getting ready to walk away and then he says something about "you proably can't hit $#(% with you handgun.   Well, I set my rifle down, walk over draw my handgun and squeeze off one round downrange at some of the blocks still there.  I knocked one of those little bastards off the target stand and this guys jaw just dropped.

I walked away and said something smart ass like "yeah, I can only hit things with a scope".

When I got back to my car to load my rifle my buddy was like "holy #$%% dude, I didn't think you were that good with a handgun".    I started laughing and told him it was total luck.  In fact I think I hit the wood block next to the one I was aiming at (they were about 6 or so inches apart).   I couldn't replicate that shot in a million years but the look on that idiots face was priceless.  He was like

You haven't lived life until you pull off something you never should be able to do, just to make an asshole look even dumber.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 7:31:09 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

You haven't lived life until you pull off something you never should be able to do, just to make an asshole look even dumber.

Since this is the internet web I can freely admit that I have had several moments in my life where I looked like the "cool guy" by "accidentally" doing something I "meant" to do.

I guess I am in. I have 50 fresh 69gr OTM handloads waiting for some range time. Maybe I will do it with my duty rifle, HBAR, and Glock 21 just for fun.

Suggestion: If you do this when you snap a pic of the target make sure you add some size reference....I.E. a ruler or caliper.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 7:33:07 AM EDT
[#25]
RustedAce

This challenge is too hard I wont do it.
I mean really, where the hell am I gonna get a grapefruit.

Now that was Funny.....

Maybe you could use a poppy plant....
personally... I run this drill using a Kiwi.... Grapefruits are for pussies...
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 7:51:20 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm in, using a 22 kit at 50 yards.

I'll print 10 targets and individually fire one round at each.  Walk down range and check them out.

I will repeat another ten rounds at every target to see if 1) I can hit the ones I hit again, and 2) hit the ones I miss again and hopefully avoid 3) missing targets I initially hit.

I think shifting targets and adjusting sight picture is more in the spirit of big bores comment than simply getting a good sight picture on one target and holding it there for ten shots.

I will post pics and document my set up, range and method, plus plain jane gun pron.

I'll head out back in about an hour or so once I finish this damned client letter.

Edit:  If you really twist my arm, or say using a 22 bolt is "cheating" I'll break out some wolf ammo to use

So is using a 22 kit acceptable?
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#27]
This reminds me of hunting rabbits.  Stalk, see one dart, try to shoot it.  They run so fast that you don't have time to get in a comfy firing position.  Your lucky if you can get in a shaky kneeling.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#28]
BTDT with a Remington Bolt action .22 no time for kneeling, just hit 'em on the fly.

Link Posted: 11/3/2007 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
This reminds me of hunting rabbits.  Stalk, see one dart, try to shoot it.  They run so fast that you don't have time to get in a comfy firing position.  Your lucky if you can get in a shaky kneeling.

+1
Standing offhand 25 to 100 yards.
A running jack rabbit going in and out of brush in the Dez.
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 1:28:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/3/2007 9:49:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 6:18:14 AM EDT
[#32]
I havent ever fired my AR from a bench... I kinda just laugh when I get asked if I want one of those sandbag things to rest on (bench rest?).

I unloaded one magazine yesterday from a sitting position, all my other shots have been standing :D.

Doesnt matter - I still suck pretty bad as far as accuracy goes, but I still have fun :).
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 4:57:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/4/2007 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm in.

Heres a pic for those who don't get the off hand position.
OffHand position.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 6:51:08 AM EDT
[#36]
While you are correct, that IS the official "Offhand" stance, I don't think that's the kind of "offhand" Big Bore had in mind when he made the comment about shooting a grapefruit.  

He meant to use a FIGHTING stance, not a target stance.

Try this:

Or this:

Link Posted: 11/5/2007 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#37]
height=8
Quoted:
my entry thread
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=348507

why did your thread get locked??
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 7:14:53 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I havent ever fired my AR from a bench... I kinda just laugh when I get asked if I want one of those sandbag things to rest on (bench rest?).

I unloaded one magazine yesterday from a sitting position, all my other shots have been standing :D.

Doesnt matter - I still suck pretty bad as far as accuracy goes, but I still have fun :).

We use the bench for sighting-in. After that, we might use it periodically to confirm sighting or to re-sight when changing ammo, for instance. When we know the sights are properly set for the trajectory we have decided to use, it makes the possibility of hitting the target 'offhand' a little more likely.
I'm going to take the 'grapefruit challenge' soon. I'll be using my Colt 6721 and FNM 92-4 SS 109.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#39]
My club range is closed until next weekend for construction. I will have to wait until Saturday to get out and shoot this.

I need to get some more ammo for my AK and try it with that as well.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#40]
I printed out the grapefruit and it's 4 13/16" diameter

I'll give it a try this weekend.

I'm usually throwing objects into the plinking pit and firing in this stance but this will be more quantitative and informative.  I'll even try it weak side..........

Thanks,
John
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Man, jackrabbit hunting is FUN! I used to hunt them down south (McAllen, TX) with an air-gun through the orange groves. 0-55 yards was my envelope of enguagement. Learned a few things.

1. Headshots don't work, pellets don't penetrate the skull, even a .22 cal field-tip @ 600fps.

2. Heart/lung is THE shot.

3. jackrabbits will run on average about 25-150 feet and then stop to re-assess the threat. They will do this 1-3 times before they TRULY jet and run a couple hundred yards.

4. Shot placement counts more than anything, they are not as tough as some people make them out to be, and if you hit one and he runs, chances are he will stop to re-assess.

5. This was done with an airgun, so yes, with a .22/.223 the noise involved may produce different behavioral patterns to emerge.

6. I am going to shoot some grapefruit on wednessday. Yes I will try to get a video clip (sorry it will be from my cell phone). The added challenge is that I have 15 seconds of video time. So:

Distance pre-measured at 50 yards. Cell-phone set by grapefruit, run 50 yards, back to shooting area while carrying the rifle, insert the mag, chamber 1 round, fire. Results of hit/miss recorded on phone.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#42]
I tried this over the weekend.

Caveats:

1 I used a de-Clintonized MAK 90 with iron sites and old Barnul's ammo I bought ages ago. (didn't have any AR Mags loaded and ready that day)

2. I used a real grapfruit

3. We were having crazy weather (remains of Tropical storm Noel) so lots of wind and drivnig rain. (I figure this was good as it made me shoot outside my comfort zone)

I walked up took aim and shot, no pause or anything. Took me 6 shots before I got a direct hit at 50 yards.

This is a pretty hard drill. I think I'll try again with my AR and some guat and see what happens.

Now you may all rank on me for your reason of choice

Thurman
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#43]
[quote
Quoted:
my entry thread

] says "dupe" on the thread.

I'm going to have to try this one out.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
my entry thread

I got a GD thread about it as well.  I'm suspecting the tech forums have far more dupe nazi's anyway...

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=635999

I didn't use a proper entry style stance.  I did the bladed stance to balance the rifle, afterall the front sight post covers nearly all of the damn target - that was the hardest part.

That and your zero is going to matter.  With a IBZ you are probably going to need to figure how off your sight is at 50m.  I recently switched to the RIBZ which has a setting for POA=POI at 50m.

If your scroll down on my GD thread I also have the death of an apple on there - now that was a hard shot.
Link Posted: 11/5/2007 2:08:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Tried this using my normal plinking ammo, Wolf 62 gr hollow point.  Fired ten shots at 50 yards from standing position using Bushmaster AR/AK (16in. barrel with AK brake).
Could only find 8 of ten shots on target.  Repeated with my Black Hills red box 52 gr. HPBT. Fired only 5 shots cuz I don't want to waste it! I also outlined the grapefruit with black marker and darkened the center so I could see it better,(little cheat).  

Link Posted: 11/6/2007 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#46]
you shot your ruler! :p

I am going to try and go tomorrow during the day and shoot some grapefruit printouts :D.

Ill either have wolf military classic soft points or silver bear hollow points. I have a mix of different crap in my magazines right now.

I also have no idea how good my "zero" is on my rifle, but usually my first shot hits dead center, then my others slowly walk up and to the right >.<

I think I am anticipating recoil...and have been trying to just focus on the trigger squeeze.
Link Posted: 11/6/2007 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember the first time I shot a .50BMG someone put a Al Gore for president sign out as a target. I was looking down range and at about 200 yards, someone said "it would be awesome if you could hit the wooden post holding the sign up", that was about an inch wide.

I just wanted to shoot the damn thing, so not knowing that the guy had a VERY light trigger on his rifle, I moved my finger to the trigger right as I was making my last adjustment higher to simply hit the meat of the sign, and I squeezed just hard enough to fire the rifle.

Smacked the peice of wood dead center, chopped down the sign, and the guy who made the comment just about shat.

He wasn't being an ass, but the look on his face was still priceless.

Rules I learned that day:

1-.50's kick pretty damn hard.
2- Keep your finger off the damned trigger, even if you are within a few inches of your desired shot placement, especially with a rifle you're unfamiliar with.  
Link Posted: 11/7/2007 1:40:09 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Suggestion: If you do this when you snap a pic of the target make sure you add some size reference....I.E. a ruler or caliper.

.224" bullets usually make .224" holes.
Link Posted: 11/7/2007 4:26:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Well I need practice.  (and a new trigger on the colt) Ten shots off hand 50 yards, in less than 15 seconds at grapfruit target, no practice shots.

Mini-14 181 open sights wolf ammo       30% hits
Colt sp1 aimpoint wolf                          40% hits

My son 12 yo

Ruger 10/22 BSA red dot  CCi                30% hits

It's sad that I'm only marginally better with my high dollar AR than my $250 Mini.

Link Posted: 11/7/2007 9:56:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Ok, rip on me all you want. :)

I was going to post a video, but hell, I only hit it twice out of 20 rds.  I don't need to post a video to back a statement that I can't shoot worth a crap! LMAO.

I will practice up on this and post a video if I ever get something to brag about.  I guess the good thing is, no one needs to worry about me ripping on them about their shooting!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top